Taking the DJI OSMO MOBILE 6 Out of its Comfort Zone
631 1 2022-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ianhil
lvl.1
United States

DJI Osmo Mobile 6 Tryout ReportExecutive Summary
As a long-time owner of the original Osmo Pocket, which I use almost exclusively for motion-lapses, the added motion-lapse resolution (depending on what phone you have) is its greatest benefit. Shooting 4k motion-lapses has historically been impossible without expensive, heavy equipment and extensive setup. However, the Osmo Mobile 6 provides too niche a functionality to earn a spot in my daily camera bag. As an action sport videographer, weight, size, and versatility are of highest importance for every piece of gear in my bag. This will be a tool for backyard adventures.  
Tryout Description
The first week revolved around learning each feature of the Osmo Mobile 6 (in use with an iPhone 13 Mini) and understanding the limits of its capability. After becoming comfortable with operating the Osmo Mobile 6, I prepared two mounts to support the gimbal while mountain biking and climbing. Over three weeks, I evaluated the performance of the product in terms of design, shot framing, ergonomics, stabilization, subject tracking, motion-lapse, focus racking, and durability while mountain biking, climbing, and backcountry snowboarding.
Positives
¼”-20 standard female threaded insert allows compatibility with other tripods and mounts.
Durable construction and materials lend themselves to capturing more unique and dramatic shots. I took this thing off cliffs (mountain biking, climbing, and snowboarding) and it survived without consequence.
Magnetic phone clip grips the phone tightly. Easy to install and intuitive.
Increased resolutions for motion-lapses. The most powerful feature of this device in my opinion.
Ergonomic grip feels good to hold and comfortable to use. The buttons, tracking trigger, and joystick all function intuitively and provide useful control.
The pivot joint at the end of the extendable selfie stick. This component allows you to position the gimbal in diverse mounts that cannot accommodate the design angle of the grip.
USB C charging and charge status indicator are universal and intuitive to use.
The DJI Mimo app is intelligent and intuitive. I HATE required applications for video/photo recording. This app breaks the mold by facilitating intuitive ease of use. It also natively populates your camera roll which is a huge advantage. Having your video automatically imported to a computer removes a step through clever integration. If the app were to automatically open when connected to the gimbal, that would reduce startup steps and time.

Negatives
The zoom/focus wheel is of little use when paired with an iPhone. Most phones leverage optical zoom which most videographers avoid using. The autofocus capabilities of iPhone cameras far surpass the users’ ability to focus on the intended subject with the coarse tuning of the wheel. The protrusion of the wheel lends itself to accidental use when in rapid motion, which can foul the shot.
All gimbal motors need to be stronger. My phone is one of the smallest and lightest on the market. Despite this reduced payload, the gimbal failed to stabilize the phone through high vibrations.
The range of motion of each joint needs to be greater. The pitch axis is the most grievous offender (it makes it so the gimbal is really only useful for vertical framing). Movements easily extend beyond the range of motion of the joint, meaning your subject has left the frame. The mechanical joint on the selfie stick at the base of the gimbal helps address some of the shortcomings in that axis, but they have to be preconceived in order to position accordingly.
Not water resistant. The Osmo Mobile does not need to be fully waterproof (I wouldn’t want to use this underwater) but having a high water resistance would help with snow or river applications.
Extended length increases lever arm which promotes arm fatigue. I used one of the smallest and lightest smartphones on the market and have strong grip/forearms from climbing and experienced strain during extended shots at furthest reach. Incorporating a ¼”-20-mountable wrist strap and forearm cup to balance the increased torque (from extension) via pressure against the forearm would reduce the strength required to operate.
The magnet holding the phone clip to the gimbal is too weak. My phone became disconnected while mountain biking and my phone screen cracked.
Auto tracking needs to respond faster. Even when the subject moves within the range of the gimbals’ roll, pitch, and yaw, it fails to position the subject in-frame.
Startup needs to be quicker. The extended required boot-to-shoot time results in missed shots. Partially inherent to required app integration, this fundamentally limits the utility of the device in high-speed scenarios.
The mechanical pivot joints do not have enough rotational resistance. These pivots allow rotation to the potential energy minimum of the assembly under intense vibration. That often kills the shot because the gimbal does not have the range to compensate. In the case of the folding joint, there were two instances where the vibration was sufficient to close the device, resulting in a failed shot. They should incorporate higher resistance or variable resistance via a setscrew.

2022-12-1
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I took my OM6 out mountain biking and it didn't fall off the mount.  Unfortunately the video will give you motion sickness.  It picks up every bump and the video is so shaky and it is so hard to watch.
2023-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules