Emergency Fan Stop/Shutdown with Motion Controller?
4080 14 2022-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

I know on some of the other controller types for DJI you can pull both sticks in and it will shut down the fans.    is there a way to do this with the Avata??  

I had an issue last night when shooting video for a customer where the drone tapped a wall in a tight halway and went haywire... bouncing off walls back and forth not stabilizing...  I had to run and try and grab it (risking my hand) to keep it from doing real damage to my customers business.   It was only a few ft off the ground so a manual shutdown would have been nice.   The Brake button didnt work, or it didnt respond.  and trying to command it to land was unresponsive.

This seems like a big potential risk of injury.     yes the initial hit with the wall ( at fairly slow speed while using head tracking and just drifted into the wall behind by accident, but hit a conduit on the wall and it caused it to seem to get all confused... )  but if the drone/IMU/ gets out of wack, it would be nice to just shut it down instantly.   I cant find a way to do this with the motion controller fast.

Others have video of their drone rocketing off after a hit into the sky, which is a whole different kind of risk, but a kill switch would be good.
2022-12-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, JoeJK3D. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry to read about the accident. Nonetheless, we are glad to know that you and your clients are safe and uninjured. By the way, please be advised that there is an option to stop the motors instantly. On your goggles, there is an option to enable it. You may go to Settings>Safety>Emergency Propeller Stop.
If the emergency propeller stop is enabled, the motors can be stopped mid-flight anytime by pressing the lock button twice on the motion controller. If the switch is disabled, the motors can only be stopped midflight with the same control action in an emergency, such as if a collision occurs, the motor stalls, the aircraft rolls in the air, or is out of control and is ascending or descending quickly. Keep in mind that stopping the motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash. Moreover, if the drone incurred any damages, kindly let us know.
We hope that you never get to encounter such an unpleasant situation again. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-12-1
Use props
frankymusik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 12-1 20:59
Hi, JoeJK3D. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry to read about the accident. Nonetheless, we are glad to know that you and your clients are safe and uninjured. By the way, please be advised that there is an option to stop the motors instantly. On your goggles, there is an option to enable it. You may go to Settings>Safety>Emergency Propeller Stop.
If the emergency propeller stop is enabled, the motors can be stopped mid-flight anytime by pressing the lock button twice on the motion controller. If the switch is disabled, the motors can only be stopped midflight with the same control action in an emergency, such as if a collision occurs, the motor stalls, the aircraft rolls in the air, or is out of control and is ascending or descending quickly. Keep in mind that stopping the motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash. Moreover, if the drone incurred any damages, kindly let us know.
We hope that you never get to encounter such an unpleasant situation again. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.

Very, very well explained!
Thank you a lot...   
2022-12-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

frankymusik Posted at 12-1 23:02
Very, very where explained!
Thank you a lot...

We're glad to help, Captain! Have a nice day, and keep safe.
2022-12-2
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-1 20:59
Hi, JoeJK3D. Thanks for reaching out, and we're sorry to read about the accident. Nonetheless, we are glad to know that you and your clients are safe and uninjured. By the way, please be advised that there is an option to stop the motors instantly. On your goggles, there is an option to enable it. You may go to Settings>Safety>Emergency Propeller Stop.
If the emergency propeller stop is enabled, the motors can be stopped mid-flight anytime by pressing the lock button twice on the motion controller. If the switch is disabled, the motors can only be stopped midflight with the same control action in an emergency, such as if a collision occurs, the motor stalls, the aircraft rolls in the air, or is out of control and is ascending or descending quickly. Keep in mind that stopping the motors mid-flight will cause the aircraft to crash. Moreover, if the drone incurred any damages, kindly let us know.

Thanks!  I didnt see that setting when I looked!  
2022-12-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

JoeJK3D Posted at 12-3 10:11
Thanks!  I didnt see that setting when I looked!

You're very welcome, JoeJK3D. By the way, apologies but it's a bit confusing. Can you confirm if you did not see the option before contacting us, or if you still cannot find it on Settings now? If it's the latter, please check it under Setting> Safety and then scroll down to "Advanced Safety Settings." Please let us know if you have further concerns. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2022-12-3
Use props
Codegit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 141719 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Thanks for this.
2022-12-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

You're most welcome, Codegit! Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Have a nice day, and keep safe.
2022-12-5
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Well, I learned something today lol. I have been all over the menus and must have overlooked this feature. This is a handy feature to have.
2022-12-5
Use props
djiuser_yjFqjThlhem4
lvl.1

Chile

Very useful,  had a similar accident where the avata started drifting right after take off... the land comand is too slow in that scenario... few seconds was enough to (fortunately) get under a parked car and start bouncing under it until shut down.

So a kill switch is apreciated for problems detected right after take off... if there is already a solution for that i couldnt find it. So this info is highly helpful.

Thanks
2023-11-6
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have learned with both the FPV and the Avata to remain clear of those drones when taking off.  Over the years, exactly 3 times they took off and something went wrong and I dodged a bullet.  I don't mind if the drone crashes, I just don't want to get in the way.  if I can help it, just stay clear but either there is nothing i can do or i can't react fast enough.  same with a semi-hard landing.
2023-11-6
Use props
GGenge007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318885 ft

Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-12-1 20:59

He is talking about sticks so he is using the FPV controller, the answer you gave assumed he was using the motion controller.  I have emergency stop enabled, and my drone was spazzing out stuck between my bbq cover and the house, I tried moving the sticks to to bottom right. And bottom left corners as well as the start stop button, neither stopped the drone slamming itself between the ground and the eaves of the house repeatedly. What’s the deal with stopping this drone. Avata, FPV controller and goggles Integra, all latest code.
2-14 11:34
Use props
GGenge007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 318885 ft

Canada

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-12-1 20:59

He is talking about sticks so he is using the FPV controller, the answer you gave assumed he was using the motion controller.  I have emergency stop enabled, and my drone was spazzing out stuck between my bbq cover and the house, I tried moving the sticks to to bottom right. And bottom left corners as well as the start stop button, neither stopped the drone slamming itself between the ground and the eaves of the house repeatedly. What’s the deal with stopping this drone. Avata, FPV controller and goggles Integra, all latest code.
2-14 15:14
Use props
DJIFlyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

GGenge007 Posted at 2-14 15:14

DJI Tony did not assume anything. Read the title of the thread 'Emergency Fan Stop/Shutdown with Motion Controller.'

And to your situation with the out of control Avata....

2-15 02:04
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

GGenge007 Posted at 2-14 11:34

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. OP wants to know how to use the Emergency Propeller Stop in the motion controller just like how other users do it using the sticks from an FPV remote controller. To enable it from the FPV remote controller, you need to go to the settings in the goggles first, enter the menu of the goggles, and then go to Settings > Safety > Advanced Safety Settings > Emergency Propeller Stop. If the drone already crashed, we suggest sending it back to DJI to get it checked for your flight safety. You can submit a Repair Request on the DJI official website or you can use this link: https://repair.dji.com/. The warranty can be applied depending on the assessment's outcome, including your unit's warranty period. We appreciate your patience.
2-17 01:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules