Mini 2 and RID
5735 18 2022-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mac3
lvl.2
United States

I realize that there are lot of posts about the upcoming 2023 requirement  that all drones be in RID compliance.
But the FAA requirement also states that manufacturers equip all drones with RID hardware in September 2022 so I was curious if my December 2022 purchased drone was equipped wtih RDI.

Based on my serial number, I was advised by DJI that indeed my Mini 2 is equipped with RDI capability but cannot be used until after a firmware upgrade that will be available before the 9/2023 deadline.

Does this ring true with the community's understanding?

2022-12-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will evaluate and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.

2022-12-3
Use props
sb618
lvl.1

United States

Any update on this? I use a mini 2 for commercial use and would like to know if I will be covered for RID next year.
2022-12-22
Use props
mac3
lvl.2
United States

I have heard no updates on the subject.
2022-12-22
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268848 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-12-3 19:41
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will evaluate and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.

When does DJI plan to announce plans for the Mini 2?  Also, I bought my Mini 2 prior to the manufacturing deadline for RID capability compliance. Is there a way to know if my Mini 2 will be able to use the update? I use my Mini 2 for commercial activities and need to make a budget buying decision very soon, if not capable. It would be nice if DJI would give us time to make plans, rather than keeping us guessing.
2023-3-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 3-4 09:11
When does DJI plan to announce plans for the Mini 2?  Also, I bought my Mini 2 prior to the manufacturing deadline for RID capability compliance. Is there a way to know if my Mini 2 will be able to use the update? I use my Mini 2 for commercial activities and need to make a budget buying decision very soon, if not capable. It would be nice if DJI would give us time to make plans, rather than keeping us guessing.

We're afraid we don't have the information you're looking for right now. As soon as it becomes available, we will let you know. Thanks for your understanding. Have a nice day.
2023-3-5
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

I believe the RID requirement means that when the drone is manufactured.  If our drones were manufactured before the required date then no RID wouldn't necessarily be required to be in the drone.  Just because it is sold after the date.  I bought mine in January, and as much as I would love to have RID in my Mini 2, I think I will be purchasing a module to make it compliant with the RID requirements.  But we can hope that DJI will send out an update to add RID in the firmware.  But according to the list that I have seen they only will have it in the Mini 3 line of drones,
2023-3-22
Use props
Abe_flies
lvl.1
Flight distance : 265781 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2022-12-3 19:41
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out, and thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. DJI will evaluate and prepare appropriate plans for different aircraft after the RID technical standards and MOC recognized by FAA are issued. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your continued support.

Any update on whether Mini 2 will have a software update for RID compliance?
2023-6-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Abe_flies Posted at 6-6 16:07
Any update on whether Mini 2 will have a software update for RID compliance?

We're sorry, but we have not received such updates as of present. We apologize for any inconvenience. Should there be any updates, we will let the DJI Pilots know. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-6-7
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268848 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 6-7 16:25
We're sorry, but we have not received such updates as of present. We apologize for any inconvenience. Should there be any updates, we will let the DJI Pilots know. We appreciate your understanding.

A DJI representative implied on a social media post that the Mini 2 would be made compliant with the September firmware update. It was a statement in response to a customer who said that they use their Mini 2 commercially, like I do. It further stated that DJI is committed to providing continuous ability to its customers in flying in accordance to each country’s laws. Since this is plausible due to the Mini 2 being RID compliant in Japan, will you confirm this on a DJI forum? Why will DJI not make a definitive statement about the future of the Mini 2’s compliance?

For those of us using it commercially, it is not appreciated that DJI is being less than upfront about Mini 2’s compliance. I am planning work now for late September, but have no solid information. If I must make last minute decisions to upgrade my drone (RID models are back ordered), I can assure you that it will not be a DJI product. I expect my vendors to be transparent.
2023-8-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 8-5 10:03
A DJI representative implied on a social media post that the Mini 2 would be made compliant with the September firmware update. It was a statement in response to a customer who said that they use their Mini 2 commercially, like I do. It further stated that DJI is committed to providing continuous ability to its customers in flying in accordance to each country’s laws. Since this is plausible due to the Mini 2 being RID compliant in Japan, will you confirm this on a DJI forum? Why will DJI not make a definitive statement about the future of the Mini 2’s compliance?

For those of us using it commercially, it is not appreciated that DJI is being less than upfront about Mini 2’s compliance. I am planning work now for late September, but have no solid information. If I must make last minute decisions to upgrade my drone (RID models are back ordered), I can assure you that it will not be a DJI product. I expect my vendors to be transparent.

Sorry for the inconvenience. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. After September 16, 2023, please purchase a third-party RID module that complies with RID MOC and add it to the aircraft. Thank you for understanding.
2023-8-7
Use props
FeralUrchin
lvl.2

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 8-7 20:47
Sorry for the inconvenience. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, RID compliance for American users starts on September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation does not affect the user’s flight activity. After September 16, 2023, please purchase a third-party RID module that complies with RID MOC and add it to the aircraft. Thank you for understanding.

Are you saying that new DJI firmware will "brick" the Mini 2 with an "RID error" (as is now the  case with the Arvata unless a cellphone dangles from the headset-- see the youtube video from an unhappy Arvata buyer) post 9/16/2023 unless an RID module is purchased and attached?  Even for recreational-only pilots? If I'm not mistaken the FAA recreational-onlysub-250 g registration and RID exemption still stands post 9/16/2023.  If so I'd recommend all recreational Mini 2 pilots decline any future DJI software/firmware updates beginning now.  And if I'm correct that the exemption still stands, why is DJI more restrictive than the FAA?

In summary, will all DJI drones require RID even for recreational-only sub-250g pilots?
2023-8-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

FeralUrchin Posted at 8-7 22:24
Are you saying that new DJI firmware will "brick" the Mini 2 with an "RID error" (as is now the  case with the Arvata unless a cellphone dangles from the headset-- see the youtube video from an unhappy Arvata buyer) post 9/16/2023 unless an RID module is purchased and attached?  Even for recreational-only pilots? If I'm not mistaken the FAA recreational-onlysub-250 g registration and RID exemption still stands post 9/16/2023.  If so I'd recommend all recreational Mini 2 pilots decline any future DJI software/firmware updates beginning now.  And if I'm correct that the exemption still stands, why is DJI more restrictive than the FAA?

In summary, will all DJI drones require RID even for recreational-only sub-250g pilots?

Hi there. Sorry for the confusion. The drone only weighs 249 grams so you don't need to register it with the FAA unless you are using it for commercial use then we suggest getting a remote id broadcast module to comply with the FAA. Starting in September 2022, DJI has produced drones that meet the requirements of the Remote ID rule. These Remote ID-compliant drones will have RID-compliant labels affixed before leaving the factory. We currently don't have information yet about the Mini 2 getting firmware for having a RID broadcasting capability.
You can check this link to see the list of drones that will have a firmware update for the RID: https://forum.dji.com/thread-293343-1-1.html. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
2023-8-8
Use props
djiuser_R4XfuYGFMJ3t
lvl.2
Flight distance : 768537 ft

United States

Shawgod Posted at 3-22 05:25
I believe the RID requirement means that when the drone is manufactured.  If our drones were manufactured before the required date then no RID wouldn't necessarily be required to be in the drone.  Just because it is sold after the date.  I bought mine in January, and as much as I would love to have RID in my Mini 2, I think I will be purchasing a module to make it compliant with the RID requirements.  But we can hope that DJI will send out an update to add RID in the firmware.  But according to the list that I have seen they only will have it in the Mini 3 line of drones,
Sir are you likewise keeping up to date with all manner of safety and compliance?
2023-8-9
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

djiuser_R4XfuYGFMJ3t Posted at 8-9 19:05
Sir are you likewise keeping up to date with all manner of safety and compliance?

Of course I am
2023-8-10
Use props
djiuser_sraKtaJt7suY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171572 ft
United States

As I understand it the Mini 2 Japanese version) already is RID compliant. Why can't we just turn it on for the US market?
2023-12-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_sraKtaJt7suY Posted at 12-8 10:59
As I understand it the Mini 2 Japanese version) already is RID compliant. Why can't we just turn it on for the US market?

Just as a matter of interest, is the Japanese RID-compliant firmware version the same firmware version that is used in the rest of the world ?
2023-12-8
Use props
djiuser_sraKtaJt7suY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 171572 ft
United States

What is the major difference with the Japanese RID compliance and the US version? I don't figure it's just a matter of turning it on.
2-15 16:32
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules