DJI Osmo Action 3 overheating after updating to v01.02.10.10
12Next >
6186 54 2022-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Ok... so... I am a proud owner of an October camera.
I was very happy, focus was good, everything worked great, recording in 4K 60FPS for over an hour and no overheating. Excellent!
Yes... I was really happy until... the latest firmware (v01.02.10.10) came out.
First I was blown away by the new features. Great colours, excellent rock steady plus and then... it happened!
After about just 9 minutes the first overheating at 4K 30FPS!
I thought, maybe it's to warm in the room? But it happened again and again and again. Very annoying because I was at work trying to shoot a 1:30 hours continuous video. Well, no success!
So today I tryed a few different settings and indeed, depending on the FOV and, if the image enhancement is turned on or off, the camera is overheating sometimes faster and sometimes it's doing better. Honestly I didn't have time to let it run for longer the 30 minutes, so I don't know if it would have overheated anyways after that time.
Just because the camera reacts differently at every single setting, I gave up on trying all the possible modes. The obvious thing is, the camera mostly overheats and stops recording.
Another thing is the new FOV (narrow) setting. It looks like a digitally enlarged image, very ugly IMHO. But personally I do not care about this since I'm probably never going to use it anyways.
And last but not least, the battery... it discharges way faster now. I mean, if the camera would work properly, without overheating, I would not care about it since I own 3 batteries but, since it's not working as it should, I thought, I have to mention the problem.
I still love the camera and I'm not thinking of changing to another brand but I am really courious to see if, how and when DJI is going to fix this issue. :-)

2022-12-4
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately you are not an isolated case.
There is already a lot of feedback in the same direction.
I am annoyed because I come from the gopro10 and all the practical aspects of this osmo 3 pleased me.
Yes I have already tested this osmo 3 twice and two returns made...
However, I am so happy with dji products (I have a mini 3 pro and an OM6) that are so good.
But there, in terms of quality, it's not good.
There is a quality issue and the latest update only got around the blurring issue.
And that causes heating issues.
With the gopro11, they seem to partially solve the problem.
After this concern is logical, so much technology in such a small and waterproof box... it doesn't mix well: everyone will be affected.
2022-12-4
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Darklf Posted at 12-4 02:58
Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately you are not an isolated case.
There is already a lot of feedback in the same direction.

I was so excited when I first ordered my OA3. Later on I had to read all those complaints about the focus. I didn't feel like my cam had that issue. Ok, the image wasn't as cristal clear as some comparisons with the GoPro, but for me it was fine. I am not that picky. I come from the VHS era, that was really poor quality, so I am not too spoiled. :-) I guess I have to deal with this overheating problem. When I shoot at work, I don't have time to keep an eye on it and turn the cam on and off while I am concentrated on my job. This is going to be challenging. I hope I will find a safe setting... maybe 1080P... not ideal but if it works... :-)
2022-12-4
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Me too I started with the 8mm or the vhs-c
But I admit that I took a liking to gopro image quality and it's something I wouldn't do without..
Yet the dji pocket 2 does a great job....
2022-12-4
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

This kind of example does not reassure me at all....

2022-12-4
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TBH, that’s pretty typical of the differences that I see when comparing the Hero 11 with the A3. Even after the recent update, it still feels slightly off and actually, the digital manipulating now added can look a bit ‘crude’.

Being an old geezer, I started with super 8 film. Silent, so I composed and recorded soundtracks to fit with my projector! They were definitely not that sharp or stable and exposure had to be right without any previewing. Nowadays, such a different thing.

Amazing really what can be done with such small cameras, but for me, the Pocket 2 also has an edge over the A3 for what I want to do with them. Kind of given up with anything close on A3. I think I'll be leaving the A3 to the bike and motorbike riders where capturing motion is more important that fine focus.
2022-12-4
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

the camera  is good enough to do the job, if we wanted a hell lot more we all get something else but DJI cuddles to you
2022-12-4
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Ralf G.
Enhanced Image Quality is default on after latest firmware v01.02.10.10, which will consume more power.

I am not sure about your test environment. But the 4K30 Enhanced Image Quality power consumption is not as high as the original firmware4k60  (Enhanced off).
turn off the Enhanced Image Quality will definitely help with the long lasting shooting.

2022-12-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ralf G. Posted at 12-4 03:17
I was so excited when I first ordered my OA3. Later on I had to read all those complaints about the focus. I didn't feel like my cam had that issue. Ok, the image wasn't as cristal clear as some comparisons with the GoPro, but for me it was fine. I am not that picky. I come from the VHS era, that was really poor quality, so I am not too spoiled. :-) I guess I have to deal with this overheating problem. When I shoot at work, I don't have time to keep an eye on it and turn the cam on and off while I am concentrated on my job. This is going to be challenging. I hope I will find a safe setting... maybe 1080P... not ideal but if it works... :-)

I record all my Footage in 1080p on both drones and cameras. It is just perfect I find. I cant be doing with all the huge data size and other issues 4K causes.
2022-12-4
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-4 05:54
I record all my Footage in 1080p on both drones and cameras. It is just perfect I find. I cant be doing with all the huge data size and other issues 4K causes.

I tend to agree with this. I also do 1080p recordings because on the 13" MacBook Pro retina 227ppi display it looks super. I don't need a 20 foot 4K television (...I don't even have a TV...) to enjoy my own footage - especially when they won't be playing in theaters. And I can also save a lot on the backup drives.
2022-12-4
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

I did a camera overheat test after installing the update. She recorded non-stop in my room, at +23 Celsius. Recording quality 4K/60fps Rockstady on! The recording lasted 75 minutes. When 9% of the battery was left, an overheating message appeared, but the camera did not turn off and continued to record. Recording ended due to low battery. The start of the recording was 92% charged. If I started with 100% battery, then the camera recorded even more time. I am very surprised that for some it overheats after 9 minutes in 4K/30 fps.

2022-12-4
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Ilya187 Posted at 12-4 06:58
I did a camera overheat test after installing the update. She recorded non-stop in my room, at +23 Celsius. Recording quality 4K/60fps Rockstady on! The recording lasted 75 minutes. When 9% of the battery was left, an overheating message appeared, but the camera did not turn off and continued to record. Recording ended due to low battery. The start of the recording was 92% charged. If I started with 100% battery, then the camera recorded even more time. I am very surprised that for some it overheats after 9 minutes in 4K/30 fps.

[view_image]

Thank you for this advice. I will try the same settings. Mine overheated with 4K 30FPS. I had no stabilisation on but I cannot remember if I had Image enhancement turned on. Was yours on or off?
2022-12-4
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

Ralf G. Posted at 12-4 07:03
Thank you for this advice. I will try the same settings. Mine overheated with 4K 30FPS. I had no stabilisation on but I cannot remember if I had Image enhancement turned on. Was yours on or off?

image enhancement has been turned off.
2022-12-4
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 12-4 06:40
I tend to agree with this. I also do 1080p recordings because on the 13" MacBook Pro retina 227ppi display it looks super. I don't need a 20 foot 4K television (...I don't even have a TV...) to enjoy my own footage - especially when they won't be playing in theaters. And I can also save a lot on the backup drives.

Actually my final result after editing is 1080P. I use mainly 4K just because I can crop in during the editing process. But I will also try to shoot some footage in 1080P and see what happens.
2022-12-4
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Ilya187 Posted at 12-4 07:05
image enhancement has been turned off.

I will try your settings. Thank you :-)
2022-12-4
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

So it makes me laugh because (regardless of the brand or model), the solution announced is more and more often: deactivate this or that .... if it continues, the color will have to be deactivated too!
2022-12-4
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Darklf Posted at 12-4 08:30
So it makes me laugh because (regardless of the brand or model), the solution announced is more and more often: deactivate this or that .... if it continues, the color will have to be deactivated too!

You are making me smile because I was thinking the same thing. What's the point of having Image Enhancement if I can't use it.
2022-12-4
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Just use a pinhole camera and you won't have any problems.
2022-12-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Ralf G. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience caused. Osmo Action 3 can shoot 4K/120fps videos at a bitrate of up to 130 Mbps, and the actual video file generated in one minute can be as large as 900 MB. With its compact and portable design, Action 3 inevitably dissipates heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period, which is an irresistible physical law. The camera was designed with special attention to the heat dissipation issue. To ensure the normal performance of the camera, the internal heat is designed to be conducted to the lens cover, front and rear screens, and body itself through heat sinks and silicone grease. Additionally, strict tests have been made to ensure that the camera temperature is within a reasonable range during long-term recording. Action 3 mainly focuses on sports scenarios such as skiing, diving, and cycling, where wind can assist the camera in heat dissipation when recording videos with a high resolution or frame rate, which, thereby, makes it possible to record longer videos. If you mainly use it to record your daily life or activities, we recommend you record at 1080p@30fps, as 1080p@30fps is currently the mainstream video format online, and it can also reduce your storage space and facilitate your editing afterward.
Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.
2022-12-4
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 12-4 20:00
Hi, Ralf G. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience caused. Osmo Action 3 can shoot 4K/120fps videos at a bitrate of up to 130 Mbps, and the actual video file generated in one minute can be as large as 900 MB. With its compact and portable design, Action 3 inevitably dissipates heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period, which is an irresistible physical law. The camera was designed with special attention to the heat dissipation issue. To ensure the normal performance of the camera, the internal heat is designed to be conducted to the lens cover, front and rear screens, and body itself through heat sinks and silicone grease. Additionally, strict tests have been made to ensure that the camera temperature is within a reasonable range during long-term recording. Action 3 mainly focuses on sports scenarios such as skiing, diving, and cycling, where wind can assist the camera in heat dissipation when recording videos with a high resolution or frame rate, which, thereby, makes it possible to record longer videos. If you mainly use it to record your daily life or activities, we recommend you record at 1080p@30fps, as 1080p@30fps is currently the mainstream video format online, and it can also reduce your storage space and facilitate your editing afterward.
Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.

Hello there! I totally understand but... until the last update I was able to shoot very long videos at 4K 30FPS!!! Before november 30th my camera was NEVER overheating. I was recording for longer then an hour without any issue! I bought this camera because at that time it was saying that it would not overheat even at 4K 60FPF and indeed, it did not! Starting december 1 the problems started. I wish I wouldn't have updated to the new Firmware.
2022-12-5
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

Ralf G. Posted at 12-5 00:59
Hello there! I totally understand but... until the last update I was able to shoot very long videos at 4K 30FPS!!! Before november 30th my camera was NEVER overheating. I was recording for longer then an hour without any issue! I bought this camera because at that time it was saying that it would not overheat even at 4K 60FPF and indeed, it did not! Starting december 1 the problems started. I wish I wouldn't have updated to the new Firmware.

I think you can ask dji to send you a previous firmware file. You can install it on your camera and check how it will work. But I do not know if dji can give this file. In theory, this is very easy to do.
2022-12-5
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Ilya187 Posted at 12-4 06:58
I did a camera overheat test after installing the update. She recorded non-stop in my room, at +23 Celsius. Recording quality 4K/60fps Rockstady on! The recording lasted 75 minutes. When 9% of the battery was left, an overheating message appeared, but the camera did not turn off and continued to record. Recording ended due to low battery. The start of the recording was 92% charged. If I started with 100% battery, then the camera recorded even more time. I am very surprised that for some it overheats after 9 minutes in 4K/30 fps.

[view_image]

I tested it with your settings... 18 minutes and it stopped recording. :-(
2022-12-5
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 12-4 20:00
Hi, Ralf G. Thanks for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience caused. Osmo Action 3 can shoot 4K/120fps videos at a bitrate of up to 130 Mbps, and the actual video file generated in one minute can be as large as 900 MB. With its compact and portable design, Action 3 inevitably dissipates heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period, which is an irresistible physical law. The camera was designed with special attention to the heat dissipation issue. To ensure the normal performance of the camera, the internal heat is designed to be conducted to the lens cover, front and rear screens, and body itself through heat sinks and silicone grease. Additionally, strict tests have been made to ensure that the camera temperature is within a reasonable range during long-term recording. Action 3 mainly focuses on sports scenarios such as skiing, diving, and cycling, where wind can assist the camera in heat dissipation when recording videos with a high resolution or frame rate, which, thereby, makes it possible to record longer videos. If you mainly use it to record your daily life or activities, we recommend you record at 1080p@30fps, as 1080p@30fps is currently the mainstream video format online, and it can also reduce your storage space and facilitate your editing afterward.

I just run a test with 1080P 30 FPS, FOV Wide, Image enhancement ON, Rock Steady on. Overheated in 34 minutes!!!
2022-12-5
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Ilya187 Posted at 12-5 03:36
I think you can ask dji to send you a previous firmware file. You can install it on your camera and check how it will work. But I do not know if dji can give this file. In theory, this is very easy to do.

I am a bit frustrated now. Talked to the DJI customer service and guess what? They want me to send the camera in. What a surprise! They said there is no other way to go back to the old firmware. I am upset at myself now. Why did I have to install the update??? Everything was fine before! What a bummer!
2022-12-5
Use props
Ilya187
lvl.2

Russia

Ralf G. Posted at 12-5 07:48
I am a bit frustrated now. Talked to the DJI customer service and guess what? They want me to send the camera in. What a surprise! They said there is no other way to go back to the old firmware. I am upset at myself now. Why did I have to install the update??? Everything was fine before! What a bummer!

So then you should change the camera to a working one, if you have such an opportunity. This should not be! Very bad, dji. =(
2022-12-5
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Ilya187 Posted at 12-5 08:36
So then you should change the camera to a working one, if you have such an opportunity. This should not be! Very bad, dji. =(

Well... opportunity... actually I am over those 2 weeks of warranty and so far I know, I have to pay to get it fixed, like other that sent the camera in after the 2 weeks period. I am not willing to do that, just because it's not my fault. Nothing is happened to the camera beside of the update. Never used it outdoors, never bumped it... Oh well... hope the next update will fix it.
2022-12-5
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Ralf G. Posted at 12-5 09:10
Well... opportunity... actually I am over those 2 weeks of warranty and so far I know, I have to pay to get it fixed, like other that sent the camera in after the 2 weeks period. I am not willing to do that, just because it's not my fault. Nothing is happened to the camera beside of the update. Never used it outdoors, never bumped it... Oh well... hope the next update will fix it.

The camera has a 2 year warranty not a 2 week one. There's a 2 week return period. Which is different. Your handle says you are in Germany. That's where I had to send my camera back to. Since you already there, it will take you no time to send it back and have it returned. It will save you the agony.
2022-12-5
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

osmonauta Posted at 12-5 12:10
The camera has a 2 year warranty not a 2 week one. There's a 2 week return period. Which is different. Your handle says you are in Germany. That's where I had to send my camera back to. Since you already there, it will take you no time to send it back and have it returned. It will save you the agony.

Didn't you sent yours to Netherland?
2022-12-5
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

johansenfoto Posted at 12-5 22:50

Nope.

Niederlauer
Industriestr. 12
97618 Germany

I believe Marco sent it to the Netherlands.

2022-12-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

johansenfoto Posted at 12-5 22:50

First time in the Netherlands, nothing is solved there, they exchange a piece for a new piece in a 14-day window (they have to). Then the German "technician" follows, he will send via support that everything is OK blah blah blah poems, like for everyone, like through copy paper. There's no point in messing with them, it's still being handled by someone else and when they send you a link as proof that the camera is OK and in that video you can see your camera turning it from left to right, as if to show that horizontal balancing works. .... but that wasn't and isn't AO3's problem

video from german technik

2022-12-5
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

StevoB Posted at 12-5 23:10
First time in the Netherlands, nothing is solved there, they exchange a piece for a new piece in a 14-day window (they have to). Then the German "technician" follows, he will send via support that everything is OK blah blah blah poems, like for everyone, like through copy paper. There's no point in messing with them, it's still being handled by someone else and when they send you a link as proof that the camera is OK and in that video you can see your camera turning it from left to right, as if to show that horizontal balancing works. .... but that wasn't and isn't AO3's problem

Hmm... that's interesting. It seems the process is different depending on who (which person) gets to it...? But they do seem to have an ENORMOUS focus chart. No wonder it's "in focus" even from 1 cm :-)
2022-12-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

osmonauta Posted at 12-5 23:13
Hmm... that's interesting. It seems the process is different depending on who (which person) gets to it...? But they do seem to have an ENORMOUS focus chart. No wonder it's "in focus" even from 1 cm :-)

I've already given up, I'm not going to talk to parrots, the same thing over and over, even with the stamp of friendship and willingness to help me, but from managers DJI they have the regulations they have, which is a shame. I already know how to fix it myself, but I will lose the warranty....maybe a new firmware and a little better software sharp, as I saw on YT will be enough for me without mechanical intervention.....Once if I sell it, I don't want to I would like it to be without warranty.
2022-12-5
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

Before I really decide to send the camera back, I would like to know if anyone here had the same overheating problem after the november 30 firmware update.
2022-12-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Ralf G. Posted at 12-5 00:59

Hi there. We completely understand your preference. Thanks for the update, and we're sorry to read that the issue persists. To further address your concern, we need to collect the necessary data and forward it to our engineers. Kindly check your inbox, and respond at your earliest convenience. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
2022-12-6
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Ralf G. Posted at 12-5 07:07
I just run a test with 1080P 30 FPS, FOV Wide, Image enhancement ON, Rock Steady on. Overheated in 34 minutes!!!

I tried the same test for 35 minutes (1080P 30 FPS, FOV Wide, Image enhancement ON, Rock Steady on). The camera was barely warm. (yes, I'm using the new FW update)
2022-12-6
Use props
Ralf G.
lvl.2
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 12-6 00:45
I tried the same test for 35 minutes (1080P 30 FPS, FOV Wide, Image enhancement ON, Rock Steady on). The camera was barely warm. (yes, I'm using the new FW update)

Thank you so much! I guess then there is really something wrong with my cam.
2022-12-6
Use props
osmonauta
lvl.4
Hungary

Just send it back so DjI can check it out. Write a detailed description how to repeat the issue. You are in Germany so the turnaround time should not be bad (…although Xmas is coming).
2022-12-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 12-5 23:29
I've already given up, I'm not going to talk to parrots, the same thing over and over, even with the stamp of friendship and willingness to help me, but from managers DJI they have the regulations they have, which is a shame. I already know how to fix it myself, but I will lose the warranty....maybe a new firmware and a little better software sharp, as I saw on YT will be enough for me without mechanical intervention.....Once if I sell it, I don't want to I would like it to be without warranty.

You’re extremely confused. You write elsewhere you don’t care about warranty. I think your losing your bottle or you’re not capable of carrying out the fix from hell
2022-12-6
Use props
Rockel83
lvl.3
Netherlands

StevoB Posted at 12-5 23:10

I see they've contracted some people of the Bundeswehr at the German DJI  
2022-12-9
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Rockel83 Posted at 12-9 10:41
I see they've contracted some people of the Bundeswehr at the German DJI
Probably
2022-12-9
Use props