Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
drone footage of an abandoned gold dredge in the Alaskan wilderness
1576 29 2022-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

We shot some drone footage of a mysterious old bucket-line gold dredge with the Mavic Air 2. The dredge was left at its original place in the Alaskan wilderness. This was truly fascinating to see...

I hope you enjoy the video. All the best to you and always take care!

2022-12-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovely footage and what an interesting find.  How in the world did they get that dredge to that location is a true mystery.  Great job on this video Schwendl.  
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Now just wait until Tony Beets buys this thing
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice footage btw!
2022-12-5
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

DowntownRDB Posted at 12-5 04:59
Lovely footage and what an interesting find.  How in the world did they get that dredge to that location is a true mystery.  Great job on this video Schwendl.

Thank you! I read, it was pulled by steam boat on the Yukon to the mouth of the fortymile river and the in winter it was pulled by caterpillar tractors up the fortymileriver into the mosquito fork, where it is now. It's unbelievable, what those guys accomplished!
2022-12-5
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-5 05:28
Now just wait until Tony Beets buys this thing

haha, I guess Tony is looking for newer models...
2022-12-5
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

thank you!! I appreciate!
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Schwendi Posted at 12-5 05:33
haha, I guess Tony is looking for newer models...

That might be true. Although he once restored an oldie.
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Schwendi Posted at 12-5 05:33
thank you!! I appreciate!

You're welcome!
2022-12-5
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Montfrooij Posted at 12-5 05:46
That might be true. Although he once restored an oldie.

Yes. But from the Cowden Dredge there is only the frame left more or less. The buckets are expensive and they are gone. But the trommel still seems to be in good shape, maybe we could extract the trommel and build a new washplant
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Schwendi Posted at 12-5 06:26
Yes. But from the Cowden Dredge there is only the frame left more or less. The buckets are expensive and they are gone. But the trommel still seems to be in good shape, maybe we could extract the trommel and build a new washplant

I see potential (and work)
2022-12-5
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Beautiful scenery!
2022-12-5
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Depp Posted at 12-5 07:17
Beautiful scenery!

thank you!
2022-12-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nicely done.    
2022-12-6
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

thank you!
2022-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 95125112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Its my pleasure.     
2022-12-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Schwendi Posted at 12-5 05:32
Thank you! I read, it was pulled by steam boat on the Yukon to the mouth of the fortymile river and the in winter it was pulled by caterpillar tractors up the fortymileriver into the mosquito fork, where it is now. It's unbelievable, what those guys accomplished!

You're very welcome.  

The lure of finding gold caused many people to attempt drastic measures in the process and I'm sure this was one of those times.  Hopefully, it paid off for all the effort they put into that endeavor.
2022-12-6
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Extraordinary viewing.  What a thing to find. Nice job.
2022-12-7
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Blériot53 Posted at 12-7 00:28
Extraordinary viewing.  What a thing to find. Nice job.

Thank you!! I appreciate!
2022-12-7
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Schwendi Posted at 12-7 05:29
Thank you!! I appreciate!

2022-12-7
Use props
NEICOGX
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

The Forum options list for WORKS really needs an Abandoned Derelict Machinery and Buildings Etc option.  Nice work and nice flying Schwendi. My wish would have included some flying inside the wreck but I can imagine that may have even been a life threatening enterprise. Could you have hung around for some sunset effects there I wonder. Dawn maybe. Would love to see the thing under snow. I'll go now.
2022-12-17
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

NEICOGX Posted at 12-17 00:39
The Forum options list for WORKS really needs an Abandoned Derelict Machinery and Buildings Etc option.  Nice work and nice flying Schwendi. My wish would have included some flying inside the wreck but I can imagine that may have even been a life threatening enterprise. Could you have hung around for some sunset effects there I wonder. Dawn maybe. Would love to see the thing under snow. I'll go now.

Thank you for writing! I'm not a good enough pilot to fly inside the dredge . Yeah, I also shot some sunsets in Alaska and much more. A lot of footage I still have to edit and post on my channel. We had a bit bad luck with the weather, so I was not able to shoot good footage of the northern lights, which was a pity. We did only see it very briefly. But there will sure be more Alaska vids on my channel, if you are interested. I'm editing right now...

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!
2022-12-17
Use props
enikdem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 898520 ft
Greece

Nice documentary video with nice scenes! I hope no-one will start searching for gold after this video and destroy the nature
2022-12-17
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Schwendi Posted at 12-17 07:49
Thank you for writing! I'm not a good enough pilot to fly inside the dredge . Yeah, I also shot some sunsets in Alaska and much more. A lot of footage I still have to edit and post on my channel. We had a bit bad luck with the weather, so I was not able to shoot good footage of the northern lights, which was a pity. We did only see it very briefly. But there will sure be more Alaska vids on my channel, if you are interested. I'm editing right now...

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!

Certainly flying inside that structure would have been tricky. Iron and steel on all sides. Scrambled, if any, GPS reception. Telemetry likely to be very erratic even if you were controlling from  LOS inside with the aircraft. Get the DSLR out would be safe, but hardly in keeping with the flying narrative. No matter, what you've done is fine enough without the interior and the edits have the story flowing well, thank you.
2022-12-17
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

enikdem Posted at 12-17 08:27
Nice documentary video with nice scenes! I hope no-one will start searching for gold after this video and destroy the nature

Thank you! There are in fact gold prospectors in this creek, but the laws are very strict. The owners of the nearby Chicken Gold Camp like nature and they reinstate the nature after mining.
2022-12-18
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Neico Posted at 12-17 10:17
Certainly flying inside that structure would have been tricky. Iron and steel on all sides. Scrambled, if any, GPS reception. Telemetry likely to be very erratic even if you were controlling from  LOS inside with the aircraft. Get the DSLR out would be safe, but hardly in keeping with the flying narrative. No matter, what you've done is fine enough without the interior and the edits have the story flowing well, thank you.

Yes absolutely. We had also an adventure, when we visited an old gold mine in a national park, where drone flying is not allowed. I shot videos with my DSLMs and action cam inside the old buildings of the ore plant. This was cool. It was a very remote place, the buildings falling apart and inside lots of things are still there like the place was left yesterday... Video will be on my channel soon...
2022-12-18
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

The ambiance of your gold dredge circumstance reminded me of John Adams' - Lake Disappointment. A track off his album HOODOO ZEPHYR. The album cover features a desolate landscape and a massive new-ish looking but abandoned driving wheel. The track is a musical time image beginning with all going well but something fails and the whole track descends into machinery chaos. It represents the day the prospectors looked at the ruin, gave up and walked away.
2022-12-19
Use props
Schwendi
lvl.4
Switzerland

Neico Posted at 12-19 00:00
The ambiance of your gold dredge circumstance reminded me of John Adams' - Lake Disappointment. A track off his album HOODOO ZEPHYR. The album cover features a desolate landscape and a massive new-ish looking but abandoned driving wheel. The track is a musical time image beginning with all going well but something fails and the whole track descends into machinery chaos. It represents the day the prospectors looked at the ruin, gave up and walked away.

sounds cool, I have to check this out. Thanks for telling me!
2022-12-19
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

If so, I have to add that Tundra and Cerulean are personal favourites from that album as well.
2022-12-19
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Neico Posted at 12-19 00:00

CORRECTION - Its DISAPPOINTMENT LAKE not LAKE DISAPPOINTMENT. Apologies.
2022-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules