Decisions, Decisions!
1018 23 2022-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

I'm shopping for my 1st drone.  Used.

I'm very torn between the mini 2 and the Macic Air 2.

I've read many pros and cons between the two and am leaning toward the Air 2.

If I end up getting one what should I look for pre and post sale?

What worries me the most is the condition of used batteries.  Those puppies are expensive.

Thanks in advance!

John Ponzo
aka - Ponz
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Both are great drones.
If it is your first (and it seems to be).
The mini2 might be a 'better' choice.
Unless you have good knowledge about photography rules (technical stuff). Otherwise you probably won't need the difference between the mini 2 and the air2 for the most part.
Yes, look for the nr of cycles they went through (batteries), the lower the better.
I would also suggest you get to see the drone flying and check for weird things like bad sounding stuff, strange behavior while flying, make sure you get to see a good photo that is taken with the camera and check for problems on a big (laptop) screen!
2022-12-5
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

Montfrooij Posted at 12-5 11:10
Both are great drones.
If it is your first (and it seems to be).
The mini2 might be a 'better' choice.

I'm an excellent photographer with a Nikon D810 and good lenses.

How do you determine the number of cycles a battery hac gone through?
2022-12-5
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8984337 ft
United Kingdom

Ponz Posted at 12-5 11:14

Hi ponz, I have the mini 3 pro & air 2s. Both drones are amazing. As previously said the mini has less restrictions on where you can fly.
I use Airdata to upload my flights and it gives you all the flight information and you can also see how many charges each battery has.
I’ve attached a screenshot from airdata.
2022-12-5
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

Thank you!
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ponz Posted at 12-5 11:14

Good choice of brand.
D750 user here (good prime lenses only)
You will (very likely) be disappointed in both drones if you compare either one to your DSLR system.
It's more like an iPhone than anything 'real' camera (which would be too heavy to fly with these small motors.
But in that case the Air 2 would be better suited I think.
You 'need' the extra photography options that offers.
2022-12-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, not sure if this is valid for the US, but in the EU a lighter drone (<250g) can fly in more places.
And if you want to capture 'human activity' (I mean cities etc. ) this can become an important factor.
So I would suggest to read up into the legal aspect here. Where you can fly with which drone (category).
I had to sell my Mavic Pro because it was too heavy to fly in interesting places here in NL.
Now I have a Mini 2, but I'm hoping the new (yet to be released) mini 3 'classic' will be my next one, because the Mini 2 lacks some options I do miss coming from the Mavic Pro.
2022-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Ponz. Thank you for reaching out and considering getting a DJI drone as your first one. Hopefully, other DJI users' insights above were able to help you out. You may also check this link to see their differences: https://www.dji.com/products/comparison-consumer-drones. Thank you for your support.
2022-12-5
Use props
kiminx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149032 ft
Indonesia

for starting point : start with ma2. fly more long distance and can hold the wind better.
2022-12-6
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Air 2 comes with a much better camera and handles windy days so much better than the Mini 2.  If you are buying directly from an individual he/she can show you the number of charge cycles on the batteries in the DJI Fly App on the phone or tablet he/she is using.  
2022-12-6
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

What connector is on the other end of the USB-C cable, please?

JP
2022-12-6
Use props
TJay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 415830 ft
United States

I'm selling my Mavic Air 2 if you're interested. Fly more kit, Smart Remote, GPC Hard Case extra multi charger. Two years old. Never been crashed or damaged in any way. Flies perfectly. $1200
2022-12-6
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

TJay Posted at 12-6 11:17
I'm selling my Mavic Air 2 if you're interested. Fly more kit, Smart Remote, GPC Hard Case extra multi charger. Two years old. Never been crashed or damaged in any way. Flies perfectly. $1200

TJay,

I appreciate the offer.  My budget won't permit. 2nd hand Mavic Air 2s (with regular remote) are going for about half of that.

Ponz
2022-12-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Look hard at the 2S, great drone.
2022-12-6
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-6 11:35
Look hard at the 2S, great drone.

Help!

Do I or do I not need a license to fly the 2S recreationally?

JP
2022-12-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Ponz Posted at 12-7 09:31
Help!

Do I or do I not need a license to fly the 2S recreationally?

No license, but you must follow a CBO guidelines. It does have to be registered with the FAA, Go to the Dronezone and create an account.
https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/rec-flyer
2022-12-9
Use props
TJay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 415830 ft
United States

Ponz Posted at 12-6 11:31
TJay,

I appreciate the offer.  My budget won't permit. 2nd hand Mavic Air 2s (with regular remote) are going for about half of that.

I understand. I'll probably take a big loss on it. That Smart Remote was super pricey when I bought it. It's very nice and bright though.
2022-12-11
Use props
motia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14452 ft
United States

I would not buy today any drone that wont support remote ID built in, in 9 months when it will become mandatory to fly. Neither mini 2 or air 2 will support it, but mini 3 and air 2s will have the support ans as such would be better choices in my view.
2022-12-13
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

motia Posted at 12-13 06:15
I would not buy today any drone that wont support remote ID built in, in 9 months when it will become mandatory to fly. Neither mini 2 or air 2 will support it, but mini 3 and air 2s will have the support ans as such would be better choices in my view.

Hmm...

FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA)

Drones without Remote ID can operate without broadcasting
Drones without Remote ID must operate within visual line of sight and within the FRIA
Anyone can fly there, but FRIAs can only be requested by community-based organizations and educational institutions

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/remote_id/drone_pilots#:~:text=Remote%20ID%20helps%20the%20FAA,for%20more%20complex%20drone%20operations.
2022-12-13
Use props
motia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14452 ft
United States

FRIA will be something local, like small designated locations that cities or clubs can request to designate, and it will not let you fly wherever you want to fly, like on some hiking trail or the beach. Only remote ID will let you fly where you want to fly. There may come with an add on for older drones, but from what I have seen so far from a company called dronetag, it's expensive and bulky solution at the moment.
2022-12-13
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

motia Posted at 12-13 09:54
FRIA will be something local, like small designated locations that cities or clubs can request to designate, and it will not let you fly wherever you want to fly, like on some hiking trail or the beach. Only remote ID will let you fly where you want to fly. There may come with an add on for older drones, but from what I have seen so far from a company called dronetag, it's expensive and bulky solution at the moment.

Understood.  Thanks.
2022-12-13
Use props
Chris Kaye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1807690 ft
United States

I loved my Mavic Air 2.  I am not a pro user and I could turn out amazing photos and video.  I caution you on firmware updates, I have never crashed, bumped or mishandled my drone and it now (due to "Updates") thinks that its flying into the sun.  DJI has cranked the obstacle avoidance up so high that its overly sensitive and it does tons of strange things now.  If you get the Air 2 just be happy with it and avoid the firmware updates.  
2022-12-14
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I have the Air 2, used it for more than a year, great drone! But a bit of a small sensor though, I would go for an Air 2S in 2022 if budget permits.
Photography is great, even in low light, long exposure looks good.

Here are some photos I took in low-light with the Air 2:

2022-12-15
Use props
Ponz
lvl.1

United States

Yaros1 Posted at 12-15 06:06
I have the Air 2, used it for more than a year, great drone! But a bit of a small sensor though, I would go for an Air 2S in 2022 if budget permits.
Photography is great, even in low light, long exposure looks good.

Nice shots
2022-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules