Mini 2 batteries not updating
1299 13 2022-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ssayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629482 ft
United States

So, I bought my Mini 2 renewed from a DJI Authorized seller on Amazon two months ago. It came with 3 batteries. When I received it, I updated the firmware through the app. Only problem was the battery only went to 70% on it's update and stayed there (failed). So, I put the second battery into the drone and tried it. It updated without a hitch. I then tried the third battery but no luck. I read a work around here and grabbed DJI Assistand 2 (Consumer Drone Series), made the appropriate changes in the defaultsettings.ini file and tried the 2 failed update batteries there. One updated with no problem. The other stalled immediately. Per the data I get on Airdata.com, the manufacture date on the failed update battery is 20-Jul-2022, so I wasn't concerned that it had very old firmware, and I currently have about 27 recharges through it with no problem.

I wanted a couple more batteries, just because. So I ordered them from the same seller, but through eBay this time. The app calls for them to be updated, but neither will update no matter what I try.

What have I tried you ask? :p

1. Multiple times through the DJI Fly app, where any of the 3 stall at 70% every single time.
2. Multiple times using two different Windows 10 computers.
3. 5 different USB cables which all transfer data without a problem on other devices.

The reason for my post is that, though both batteries had 0 times charged on arrival here, the dates on them are 31-Jan-2021 and 07-Jan-2021. So I'm a little more concerned about the firmware not being up to snuff. If only there were a way to check the firmware on the batteries, eh?...

Anyway, 2 out of 5 batteries updating doesn't lend much confidence. But,it almost seems ludicrous that I have 3 batteries that won't update without my seeing a TON of posts about the same issue here. So, is the issue on my end? I've read as many threads on this as I can find (not only here but elsewhere on the internet as well). I'm just not finding anything else to try (and yes, I have a clue when it comes to computers).

What else do I try? TIA!

2022-12-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Ssayer. Thank you for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience caused. We want to confirm some details to isolate the issue. When inserted into the aircraft, which LEDs are lit? Also, are they able to charge? And on the DJI Fly app, are you getting any specific error messages about the batteries in question? If you can include a video showing the behavior of the batteries, we will be able to check further. Kindly keep us updated. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
2022-12-5
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

DJI Tony Posted at 12-5 21:57
Hi, Ssayer. Thank you for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience caused. We want to confirm some details to isolate the issue. When inserted into the aircraft, which LEDs are lit? Also, are they able to charge? And on the DJI Fly app, are you getting any specific error messages about the batteries in question? If you can include a video showing the behavior of the batteries, we will be able to check further. Kindly keep us updated. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

A video? Showing what? Ssayer already has given a very extensive description and all you can do is ask for a video? Come on Tony, show us that you're worthy of being an admin for once!
2022-12-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

I'd fly with a faulty battery and check if the charge gauge follows when the battery is discharged. If so, let it drop to like 20% and then let cool, then recharge. If you do, please post the result here.
2022-12-6
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-5 21:57
Hi, Ssayer. Thank you for reaching out, and apologies for the inconvenience caused. We want to confirm some details to isolate the issue. When inserted into the aircraft, which LEDs are lit? Also, are they able to charge? And on the DJI Fly app, are you getting any specific error messages about the batteries in question? If you can include a video showing the behavior of the batteries, we will be able to check further. Kindly keep us updated. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Wow, I thought I'd handled the basics. I don't think a video can show anything I haven't already said. Let's hit your questions one at a time...

When I put any of the "update failed" batteries into the drone, I see the exact same sequence that I do with either of the batteries that took the update.

I'm sure that, on the "update failed" battery that I've been flying that I had a couple of times where the DJI Fly app prompted me that I the battery needed a firmware update, but the vast majority of the time it doesn't.

I waited after reading your post to try these newer two out before responding. They both charged fully. I tried the update on each again, and each failed at 70% again. In flight, they both worked properly (and I fervently watched the battery meter in the app, so...).

Once again, on the original "update failed" battery, the manufacture date is new enough that I'm pretty unconcerned about the latest update as I NEVER store a fully charged battery in a drone or a charger. I own a lot of drones and have a deep respect for what a LIPO can do if you fail to have that respect...

What I am concerned about is what firmware might be on these two batteries that I just received because of THEIR date of manufacture. If the only thing I have to worry about with them is to not store them in the drone or charger, there is no need to be concerned because that will never happen. It's the unknown that concerns me...

Specific enough? TIA...
2022-12-6
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 12-6 06:33
I'd fly with a faulty battery and check if the charge gauge follows when the battery is discharged. If so, let it drop to like 20% and then let cool, then recharge. If you do, please post the result here.

Thanks for that.

After their cool off period, I put them back on the charger. then off the charger and into the Mini 2. Via the DJI Fly app, they both show that they're fully charged. So once again, I'm pretty darn sure that they're just fine, but still have that minor but nagging concern about the firmware number and what it may mean for me...
2022-12-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Ssayer Posted at 12-6 07:13
Thanks for that.

After their cool off period, I put them back on the charger. then off the charger and into the Mini 2. Via the DJI Fly app, they both show that they're fully charged. So once again, I'm pretty darn sure that they're just fine, but still have that minor but nagging concern about the firmware number and what it may mean for me...

Yes, I have a hunch that the firmware in the batteries are not in sync with their environment.
You might have to repeat the procedure a couple of times.
2022-12-6
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

Johnny_J Posted at 12-6 07:17
Yes, I have a hunch that the firmware in the batteries are not in sync with their environment.
You might have to repeat the procedure a couple of times.

Haha, if you only knew how many times I've tried (I'm a very very adamant kind of guy)...
2022-12-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Ssayer Posted at 12-6 07:22
Haha, if you only knew how many times I've tried (I'm a very very adamant kind of guy)...

If everything apart from the firmware number works, just fly!
2022-12-6
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

Success!!! For those poor souls that come after me with this problem. It's soooo simple even a caveman can do it. It won't work from the DJI Fly app, only from DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series). When you connect the drone to your computer with the battery needing an update on it, you get the following screen:

DON'T DO IT! It's a trap! Cancel that and on the next screen:

Select Refresh. Done!

Now, what was I doing wrong each time? When the batteries that wouldn't update were inserted, I'd always press Confirm on that screen that says Firmware Incompatibility . After fail, you never get to the second screen to refresh the drone's firmware. I'd put an updated battery in, and it would go straight to the screen in the 2nd picture. I refreshed that darn drone's firmware so many times, but it was meaningless because the ONLY time the battery updates is when you refresh the firmware with the battery in that requires updating! I know because I tried both ways on 3 consecutive batteries and they all failed when selecting Confirm on the Firmware incompatibility screen and all updated when selecting confirm on the Refresh screen.

I hope this solution helps someone after me!!!
2022-12-6
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

Ssayer Posted at 12-6 08:13
Success!!! For those poor souls that come after me with this problem. It's soooo simple even a caveman can do it. It won't work from the DJI Fly app, only from DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series). When you connect the drone to your computer with the battery needing an update on it, you get the following screen:

[view_image]

Nice! I hope Tony learnt something too ... Maybe he wants a video?
2022-12-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Ssayer Posted at 12-6 07:06
Wow, I thought I'd handled the basics. I don't think a video can show anything I haven't already said. Let's hit your questions one at a time...

When I put any of the "update failed" batteries into the drone, I see the exact same sequence that I do with either of the batteries that took the update.

Hi, Ssayer. Thank you for the update, and the elaborate description. Please note that to resolve issues, we need to check all variables and possible causes. We specifically asked for the performance of the battery to isolate if the issue is hardware or software-related. The behavior of the battery LED lights will greatly help the investigation which is why it was asked. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Nonetheless, we are glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue by refreshing the firmware.  Should you have other concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.
2022-12-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Johnny_J Posted at 12-6 06:29
A video? Showing what? Ssayer already has given a very extensive description and all you can do is ask for a video? Come on Tony, show us that you're worthy of being an admin for once!

Hi, Johnny_J. Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your eagerness to help your co-pilot. Kindly refer to the reply post #12 for the explanation of why we requested for a sample video, if possible. We appreciate your understanding and support. Take care.
2022-12-7
Use props
Johnny_J
Second Officer

Sweden

DJI Tony Posted at 12-7 02:37
Hi, Johnny_J. Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely appreciate your eagerness to help your co-pilot. Kindly refer to the reply post #12 for the explanation of why we requested for a sample video, if possible. We appreciate your understanding and support. Take care.

You're so proud of your incompetence.  All you can do is reply with empty phrases. "Thank you for your feedback".

You have no clue how a DJI Mini 2 works, yet you ask people to send a video of a dark LED!
2022-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules