Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI O3 Horrible Video With Rocksteady EIS on
5767 22 2022-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Is anyone else experiencing absolutely crap video when turning on Rocksteady EIS?  My videos are garbage, tons of jello and just generally jittery video.  I have two O3 Air Units and they are both the same.  I've tried mounting them in two different frames, one with aluminum camera mounts and the other with TPU and rubber dampers and the results are the same, garbage video.  Here's the thing, when I turn EIS off, the video is quite decent, it's not stabilized decent, but it's really quite good, which tells me it's not the tune of the quads.  Both quads had Vista units in them prior to going to the O3 system and video looks good out of them as well.  I've updated the firmware on the O3 units and my goggles.  Swapped them O3 units between the two frames, recorded to the Air units and to SD cards but still garbage.  I keep seeing footage from flights on YouTube in all kinds of frames that look stunning and mine look like crap.  Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.
2022-12-6
Use props
robomaniac
lvl.2
Canada

share pictures of how you mount them the 03 and the camera.
Please read this, they explain lots of important things
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... delines_v1.0_EN.pdf

the IMU sensor is inside the camera. It's the camera that needs to be isolated from vibration
2022-12-6
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

robomaniac Posted at 12-6 07:49
share pictures of how you mount them the 03 and the camera.
Please read this, they explain lots of important things
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... delines_v1.0_EN.pdf

Thanks for that link to the troubleshooting, I hadn’t seen that when I was searching for fixes.  Only two pics I have at the moment.

2022-12-6
Use props
Depp
Captain
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

smithe Posted at 12-6 09:24
Thanks for that link to the troubleshooting, I hadn’t seen that when I was searching for fixes.  Only two pics I have at the moment.

[view_image]

Strange.
On the whoop it looks very soft mounted!
2022-12-6
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Depp Posted at 12-6 10:06
Strange.
On the whoop it looks very soft mounted!

I agree, it is strange.
It is mounted on 4 rubber bushings and between the TPU camera mounts.  It’s very frustrating to me.
2022-12-6
Use props
robomaniac
lvl.2
Canada

as you can see in the PDF, it's not just soft mounting that can cause problem. The frequency use to sample the IMU is in the 24 to 30kHz.
This mean any frequency in those range can affect those reading. Do you have BLHeli32? If yes check the frequency use in the BLheli config.

other random comment. Could you melt with soldering iron 2 more holes in the TPU and secure camera with 4 bolts instead of 2. Are those scews long enough?

please try brand new props on the cinewhoop.
on your 4-5in the props look new but camera is attach to metal
(also those pictures are for reference and probably do not reflect actual prop )
2022-12-6
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

robomaniac Posted at 12-6 13:34
as you can see in the PDF, it's not just soft mounting that can cause problem. The frequency use to sample the IMU is in the 24 to 30kHz.
This mean any frequency in those range can affect those reading. Do you have BLHeli32? If yes check the frequency use in the BLheli config.

Yes, I just got home from work and I am about to follow the steps test the frequency differences and see if it helps.
Those props on the CineLog35 are a bit beat up but there are no issues when stabilization is off, or when carrying a DJI Action 2.  I will also consider making 2 extra holes, that is a good idea.  The others are 5" props and are very new, only a few flights so far and I have managed to not hit anything with them or have any hard landings, yet....
2022-12-6
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Finally got to change ESC PWM control frequency from the stock BLHELI_S 24 kHz which is the same as the O3 cameras frequency and it took out all of the issues with the CineLog35 and probably 90% out of the Roma L5 frame.  I'm probably going to have to find a way to isolate the camera from being direct mounted to the aluminum to get rid of the last of it but it is a vast improvement!  Thank you again.
2022-12-7
Use props
robomaniac
lvl.2
Canada

I am so glad this work for you! This is it great news!
I did not check on my AIO what frequency I am at. I don't have issues but why not double check.

2022-12-7
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

robomaniac Posted at 12-7 18:01
I am so glad this work for you! This is it great news!
I did not check on my AIO what frequency I am at. I don't have issues but why not double check.

Me too!
Might as well check, I would be interested in hearing what yours is at, also whatever type of fpv setup you have it on.
2022-12-8
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well I was wrong about the Roma L5.  Although it looked good on my desk after making the change it’s still horrible in flight.
2022-12-9
Use props
robomaniac
lvl.2
Canada

smithe Posted at 12-8 09:48
Me too!
Might as well check, I would be interested in hearing what yours is at, also whatever type of fpv setup you have it on.

I don't even know what esc firmware I have, I tried bluejay, blheli, blheli32 and can't connect so I don't know the frequency of ESC. But it works.
2022-12-9
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I used https://esc-configurator.com/ to access my ESC's.

Here's some flight footage so you can see exactly what is happening.  
2022-12-9
Use props
llambkin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22858 ft
Australia

smithe Posted at 12-9 20:52
I used https://esc-configurator.com/ to access my ESC's.

Here's some flight footage so you can see exactly what is happening.  https://youtu.be/NGF-N_Nl3pw

Wow! that is in stark contrast to what I am getting....

2022-12-11
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

llambkin Posted at 12-11 09:15
Wow! that is in stark contrast to what I am getting....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ngvWdOnhbg

Yeah you are getting much better footage, this has been a frustrating situation for me.  On the plus side I did get my CineLog35 Performance pretty much settled, it’s best with my ESCs at 48 kHz.  Still struggling with the Roma L5 frame, I tried all the different frequencies and even add a bit of electrical tape between the camera and mounts to try and soften it but no luck.  I just 3D printed some TPU mounts to go on standoffs and I’m going to give that a try tomorrow.  The Roma frames don’t have normal standoffs but I had some spares that fit so I removed the aluminum front end and replaced it with the new setup.  All credit to jimmac  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5702208

2022-12-11
Use props
CoreyFPV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

smithe Posted at 12-7 17:47
Finally got to change ESC PWM control frequency from the stock BLHELI_S 24 kHz which is the same as the O3 cameras frequency and it took out all of the issues with the CineLog35 and probably 90% out of the Roma L5 frame.  I'm probably going to have to find a way to isolate the camera from being direct mounted to the aluminum to get rid of the last of it but it is a vast improvement!  Thank you again.

yeah, I changed mine on mny Volador X frame and it made it better, but it's still there in the recorded footage. it's literally all to do with the mounting of the camera. There's research going on all over the place to find the best method of mounting the camera. The Volador has a solid mount cage and they are looking at it with either tpu or silcone mounting to make it softer to absorb the strains of having this on an FPV kwad. In a lot of situations, if you don't look for it, it's only very slight but I know it's stil there. OCD level 100
2022-12-25
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I’ve been quite interested in that frame lately, I am thinking of building one up in the future.  So here is a video where I talk a bunch about my issues and how I got them fixed, well at least looking really good, if not perfect. If you don’t want to listen to me ramble, you can jump to about 2:50 to see how much smother it is.  There is a short clip before that that shows all the shakiness in it’s glory!  Here’s the same quad some days later in high winds, it’s looking pretty decent

Now I am on to my latest, which is the new Flywoo Explorer with the O3, BNF and it’s not perfect out of the box so I’m having to fiddle with it as well.  It’s still way better than where I started with the Roma L5 frame but it’s still not as good as all the reviewers make it seem.
2023-1-3
Use props
heyitsmike
lvl.1
United States

I have my drones soft mounted and it seems to be fine and decent. but here's something interesting I found.

Let me know what you guys think.
2023-1-15
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

heyitsmike Posted at 1-15 11:28
I have my drones soft mounted and it seems to be fine and decent. but here's something interesting I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUikSyR4iz8&t=228s

Let me know what you guys think.

Just watched and also Joshua Bardwell talked about it today on his livestream news.  I may give it a go.  In four O3s only one was good without any adjustments, the rest have been a battle.  A friend of mine has some too and is having struggles, I sent him the link.
2023-1-24
Use props
djiuser_61sHmOWpS5M1
lvl.1

Netherlands

smithe Posted at 1-24 16:45
Just watched and also Joshua Bardwell talked about it today on his livestream news.  I may give it a go.  In four O3s only one was good without any adjustments, the rest have been a battle.  A friend of mine has some too and is having struggles, I sent him the link.

Did this work for you? Anybody else try the camera glue fix? I don't want to mess up the cam..
2023-3-2
Use props
djiuser_kemAnw7bxrpM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193881 ft
Poland

I wish you a lot of luck.
My o3 went to the trash because dji says it was bought outside the EU. I sent proof of purchase from the EU but they are not interested in it.
They offered to give me a 15% discount on my next o3 if I gave it back.
I bought three o3. Two turned out to be broken...
2023-3-7
Use props
smithe
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_kemAnw7bxrpM Posted at 3-7 08:18
I wish you a lot of luck.
My o3 went to the trash because dji says it was bought outside the EU. I sent proof of purchase from the EU but they are not interested in it.
They offered to give me a 15% discount on my next o3 if I gave it back.

Oh no, that is horrible!!!  Sorry for your bad experience with the system and company.

I did get mine sorted out after a lot of tinkering.  Now it seems all the manufacturers of bind and fly drones are doing the things a few of us figured out on our own.
2023-4-25
Use props
Michelangelo Corcelli
New

United Kingdom

Exactly the same issue. Without gyro stabilization video is solid. I will upgrade escs firmware to BLluejay 48 khz and hopefully that will solve the problem of shaky footage when using Rocksteady!
2023-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules