How can I tell if Remote ID is really enabled on my M3P?
12Next >
5339 49 2022-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3dbproductions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1723471 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay, so I updated the firmware on the Mini 3 Pro that is supposed to enable the FAA Compliant Standard Remote ID.  My question is how can I actually tell if it is working properly?  Is there something in the DJI Fly App that indicates the drone is actually broadcasting the sRID?  And on a related note, how can I tell if there is an issue with the sRID during a flight so that I can land and then troubleshoot the issue?
This thread is NOT intended to be a forum to debat the pros/cons of Remote ID, just trying to understand the facts for the M3P implementation of sRID.

Thanks.

2022-12-7
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

even if there is something in the app to tell you, the only way to know for sure is the use on the apps and see if you can detect the broadcast.  i'v heard both way, some people got it and some do not.  so i think it's a valid question, how to you ensure your rid is functional on each and every takeoff?  for that matter, how do you properly ensure that it is broadcasting throughout the flight?   during this transitional period, it's going to be tough to nail it down but eventually one day....i think the popular answer is going to be either "i don't care" or "my drone is compliant and that's where my responsibility ends."  find the app, test it out, let us know your results please.
2022-12-7
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. There are several ways to check if the Remote ID is working correctly for DJI drones. For the Mini 3 Pro, the best way to check is through the WLAN. To check, use the DJI remote controller to control the drone to start the motors, then use the WLAN of your cell phone or tablet to scan the Remote ID serial number broadcast by the drone at a location close to the drone. If you can see a series of digits that starts with RID and then is followed by the drone's serial number, it indicates that the RID is broadcasted properly. If it's working abnormally, an error prompt such as "Remote ID Error" will show on your Camera View. Should you have other concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.
2022-12-8
Use props
3dbproductions
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1723471 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-8 00:34
Hi there. Thanks for reaching out. There are several ways to check if the Remote ID is working correctly for DJI drones. For the Mini 3 Pro, the best way to check is through the WLAN. To check, use the DJI remote controller to control the drone to start the motors, then use the WLAN of your cell phone or tablet to scan the Remote ID serial number broadcast by the drone at a location close to the drone. If you can see a series of digits that starts with RID and then is followed by the drone's serial number, it indicates that the RID is broadcasted properly. If it's working abnormally, an error prompt such as "Remote ID Error" will show on your Camera View. Should you have other concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.

Thanks Tony.   I did as you suggested - turned on the M3P with the DJI RC and then started the motors.  After about 1 minute, I was able to see a Wireless Network on my iPhone 13 that was RIP[serial number].  Before the firmware update, I never saw this Wireless Network.  So, I can confirm that the M3P is at least broadcasting something now.  As soon as I shut down the motors, the Wireless Network disappeared from my phone.

I know that RID is not an FAA requirement until Sept 2023, but I would suggest to DJI, that between now and then, it would be a good idea if the DJI Fly app would indicate that the RID is operational so that Part 107 Remote Pilots can know they are following the rules before a mission.

Thanks again.
2022-12-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

3dbproductions Posted at 12-8 09:15
Thanks Tony.   I did as you suggested - turned on the M3P with the DJI RC and then started the motors.  After about 1 minute, I was able to see a Wireless Network on my iPhone 13 that was RIP[serial number].  Before the firmware update, I never saw this Wireless Network.  So, I can confirm that the M3P is at least broadcasting something now.  As soon as I shut down the motors, the Wireless Network disappeared from my phone.

I know that RID is not an FAA requirement until Sept 2023, but I would suggest to DJI, that between now and then, it would be a good idea if the DJI Fly app would indicate that the RID is operational so that Part 107 Remote Pilots can know they are following the rules before a mission.

You are most welcome. We're glad to know that you can see the Remote ID by following the suggestions posted above. And we understand how seeing the Remote ID status on the DJI Fly app would be very handy for our DJI Pilots. This is such helpful input. Rest assured that it will reach our designated team for consideration. Thank you for your efforts and support.
2022-12-9
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 425180 ft
United States

I thought sub 250g drones being like the MP3 used for recreation were not required to have remote ID?  
2023-1-6
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-6 10:59
I thought sub 250g drones being like the MP3 used for recreation were not required to have remote ID?

i dont think we are discussion requirements and/or laws.

i think we are discussion capabilities.  the m3p has rid sw and the question is "does it broadcast" and the mostly likely answer is yes.

the m3p has been declared rid compliant because it has rid capable sw.
2023-1-6
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-6 11:40
i dont think we are discussion requirements and/or laws.

i think we are discussion capabilities.  the m3p has rid sw and the question is "does it broadcast" and the mostly likely answer is yes.

Yeah, thanks.  I guess my question was why would a drone that is not required to broadcast the remote ID  be set up to automatically broadcast.  
2023-1-6
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-6 12:32
Yeah, thanks.  I guess my question was why would a drone that is not required to broadcast the remote ID  be set up to automatically broadcast.

the m3p is required by law to broadcast rid by virtue of a government document filed by dji pledging to do so.  to my knowledge, there's no way to file for partial compliance.

the government did not say the m3p is prohibited from broadcasting because it is under 250 and recreational.  the law allows under 250/recreational drones to broadcast rid and dji took them up on the offer and that includes the "always" on clause (i don't believe they have much of a choice).

honestly, the whole concept sucks but if you're just now complaining, you're late to the party.
2023-1-6
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-6 15:52
the m3p is required by law to broadcast rid by virtual of a government document filed by dji pledging to do so.  to my knowledge, there's no way to file for partial compliance.

the government did not say the m3p is prohibited from broadcasting because it is under 250 and recreational.  the law allows under 250/recreational drones to broadcast rid and dji took them up on the offer and that includes the "always" on clause (i don't believe they have much of a choice).

Not really complaining just using the forums for what they were made for.   To get more information on a topic of discussion.  Also I never mentioned the government.  Not sure why DJI would activate the remote ID although with the extended battery the MP3 is over 249g.  
2023-1-6
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-6 16:03
Not really complaining just using the forums for what they were made for.   To get more information on a topic of discussion.  Also I never mentioned the government.  Not sure why DJI would activate the remote ID although with the extended battery the MP3 is over 249g.

ok sounds good!
2023-1-6
Use props
Lost Somewhere
lvl.3
United States

I would appreciate if DJI would make clear on the remote that it is not transmitting any unencrypted data for users like myself.
Each user should have the option on a drone like the M3P (that can fall into multiple categories) to turn on and off ID transmission based on what they are using it for.
There needs to be a clear indicator that data is being transmitted, and explicitly what data.
We should be able to see it and confirm it is accurate.

I'm not planning to update any software or firmware until these features are put in place.
2023-1-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Lost Somewhere Posted at 1-19 11:46
I would appreciate if DJI would make clear on the remote that it is not transmitting any unencrypted data for users like myself.
Each user should have the option on a drone like the M3P (that can fall into multiple categories) to turn on and off ID transmission based on what they are using it for.
There needs to be a clear indicator that data is being transmitted, and explicitly what data.

US FAA RID regulations prevent disabling/blocking or otherwise contravening RID broadcast. ANY drone that is required to be registered MUST have it. In the case of the RID enabled DJI sub 250 gram drones, their take is "better safe than sorry".
2023-1-19
Use props
Lost Somewhere
lvl.3
Panama

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-19 12:02
US FAA RID regulations prevent disabling/blocking or otherwise contravening RID broadcast. ANY drone that is required to be registered MUST have it. In the case of the RID enabled DJI sub 250 gram drones, their take is "better safe than sorry".

It's all just useless talk though right? M3P is NOT required to have it, so everything just stated is irrelevant! It's only applicable to a drone that IS required to have RID. If I strap an RID module to a paper airplane I can take it off again legally. So DJI can give us the option to transmit or not, because it's our choice. If the rule can't be clearly interpreted and easily followed, then the rule should be changed. The letter of the law says I don't require it, and therefor I think DJI should not force me to use RID. Lets face it, I'm not registered, so I CAN'T enable RID, but DJI could be more transparent about when it's on or off, and what is still being transmitted. That isn't too much to ask, that's the bare minimum. Any device transmitting my position better tell me it's doing so!
2023-1-19
Use props
Mavic 3 Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

3dbproductions Posted at 2022-12-8 09:15
Thanks Tony.   I did as you suggested - turned on the M3P with the DJI RC and then started the motors.  After about 1 minute, I was able to see a Wireless Network on my iPhone 13 that was RIP[serial number].  Before the firmware update, I never saw this Wireless Network.  So, I can confirm that the M3P is at least broadcasting something now.  As soon as I shut down the motors, the Wireless Network disappeared from my phone.

I know this is a typo, but it made me chuckle as it almost seems like a Freudian slip.   You stated you saw RIP as the first letters of the WLAN

"...I was able to see a Wireless Network on my iPhone 13 that was RIP[serial number]..."
2023-1-19
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Lost Somewhere Posted at 1-19 13:43
It's all just useless talk though right? M3P is NOT required to have it, so everything just stated is irrelevant! It's only applicable to a drone that IS required to have RID. If I strap an RID module to a paper airplane I can take it off again legally. So DJI can give us the option to transmit or not, because it's our choice. If the rule can't be clearly interpreted and easily followed, then the rule should be changed. The letter of the law says I don't require it, and therefor I think DJI should not force me to use RID. Lets face it, I'm not registered, so I CAN'T enable RID, but DJI could be more transparent about when it's on or off, and what is still being transmitted. That isn't too much to ask, that's the bare minimum. Any device transmitting my position better tell me it's doing so!

You need to jusr rid yourself of all DJI products. Build your own.
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-19 12:02

let me start with i hate the faa rid laws.

the faa gave dji until september 2022 after which dji could no longer produce drones for sale in america unless they were rid compliant.  as far as i know, the rules didn't say you can keep making these drones and selling them in america if some of them didn't have to be registered or if you were going to depend on somebody else to supply a module for it later on down the road.  i dont recall anything in the rule to manufacturers that discusses usage like commercial or recreational use.

dji wanted to keep making m3p drones for sale in america after the date and so they made the drone rid compliant.  there is no way dji was going to keep making m3p drones and selling them in america and at the same time, try to claim the m3p drone doesn't need to be registered.  not only is that untrue but also there are several instances where the m3p drone does need to be registered.  it is likely dji would be in violation of the rules so instead they applied for compliance with every single m3p drone that came off their production line bound for america which would ensure if there was ever an instance where m3p would need rid (and there will be many) then it will have it.  as you said, the law has a lock on implementation and honestly, this is the only way to ensure a drone that needed rid....had rid.  any other implementation would have allowed loopholes.

did i mentioned i hate the rid laws?

anyway, later this year, operators have a number of rules to comply with which includes the infamous "if it has to be registered, it has to have rid."  that is the faa rules to us, not to dji.  there is no faa rule that says unregistered drones are prohibited from transmitting.  did dji take this rule to pilots in consideration when they made their decision to tag all m3p?  probably; but i don't see any other way they could have handled it.  the faa left them little choice with their "means of compliance."

lost somewhere, we told you the faa was setting a trap with rid and now you see.  bottom line is in the end everybody will have rid or you won't be flying ultimately and regardless of "the rules" that's just how it's going to turn out.  honestly, now it's too late to complain.  anyone who thinks they can buy a new drone and strap on a module whenever they get ready needs to think twice.  modules are for older drones that didn't make the cut and in the faa's eyes, those won't last long.  recreational pilots are dreaming if they think the removable portable module across the fleet will be the norm.  the faa will wipe that away the instance mandatory registration for all drones goes into effect.  then your module will only be allowed in the fria.

if i am all wrong about this, please someone correct me.  the faa rules are complicated, they are often interpreted, and they change so i could be all wrong about this and since id like to comply, i hope to understand it better.
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lost Somewhere Posted at 1-19 13:43
It's all just useless talk though right? M3P is NOT required to have it, so everything just stated is irrelevant! It's only applicable to a drone that IS required to have RID. If I strap an RID module to a paper airplane I can take it off again legally. So DJI can give us the option to transmit or not, because it's our choice. If the rule can't be clearly interpreted and easily followed, then the rule should be changed. The letter of the law says I don't require it, and therefor I think DJI should not force me to use RID. Lets face it, I'm not registered, so I CAN'T enable RID, but DJI could be more transparent about when it's on or off, and what is still being transmitted. That isn't too much to ask, that's the bare minimum. Any device transmitting my position better tell me it's doing so!

honestly, i think you are making a lot of assumptions.  please see my previous post.
2023-1-19
Use props
Lost Somewhere
lvl.3
Panama

The Saint Posted at 1-19 14:59
honestly, i think you are making a lot of assumptions.  please see my previous post.

I think all my comments are backed up by the letter of the law on the sub 250g drones. DJI adds the ability to register it and comply with heavier drone rules and commercial drone rules because users may want either of those capabilities, and I'm glad DJI allows that option. I'm just saying that we the user should be given transparency, so we know when and what data is transmitted, and the ability to meet the rules without exceeding the rules. I'm a "pilot", I own a "flying machine", I should know how it's operating and have control over it. I think that's even the expectation of the FAA. No one here seems to even know how exactly RID works, we're looking for ways to see our own data output and having trouble doing it. That doesn't sound like an informed and responsible way to fly.
2023-1-19
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lost Somewhere Posted at 1-19 16:14
I think all my comments are backed up by the letter of the law on the sub 250g drones. DJI adds the ability to register it and comply with heavier drone rules and commercial drone rules because users may want either of those capabilities, and I'm glad DJI allows that option. I'm just saying that we the user should be given transparency, so we know when and what data is transmitted, and the ability to meet the rules without exceeding the rules. I'm a "pilot", I own a "flying machine", I should know how it's operating and have control over it. I think that's even the expectation of the FAA. No one here seems to even know how exactly RID works, we're looking for ways to see our own data output and having trouble doing it. That doesn't sound like an informed and responsible way to fly.

ok, i missed it.  please show me in the faa rules where dji was told they didn't need to enable rid on the m3p (because it was sub250) and they could keep producing it and selling it in the usa.  here's what i have so far, please let me know what i am missing.  i think you mentioned "letter of the law" so if you could just post that instead of a theory or interpretation, that would be most helpful; thank you.

Executive Summary
Final Rule on
Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft (Part 89)
December 28, 2020

Design and Production Rules for Manufacturers
• Most unmanned aircraft must be produced as Standard Remote ID Unmanned Aircraft and
meet the requirements of this rule beginning 18 months after the effective date of the rule.
• Remote ID Broadcast modules must be produced to meet the requirements of the rule
before they can be used.
• The final rule establishes minimum performance requirements describing the desired
outcomes, goals, and results for remote identification without establishing a specific means
or process.
• A person designing or producing a standard UA or broadcast module must show that the
UA or broadcast module met the performance requirements of the rule by following an
FAA-accepted means of compliance.
• Under the rule, anyone can create a means of compliance. However, the FAA must accept
that means of compliance before it can be used for the design or production of any
standard remote identification UA or remote identification broadcast module.
• FAA encourages consensus standards bodies to develop means of compliance and submit
them to the FAA for acceptance.
• Highlights of Standard Remote ID UA Performance Requirements:
o UA must self-test so UA cannot takeoff if Remote ID is not functioning
o Remote ID cannot be disabled by the operator
o Remote ID Broadcast must be sent over unlicensed Radio Frequency spectrum
(receivable by personal wireless devices, ex: Wi-Fi or Bluetooth)
o Standard Remote ID UA and Remote ID Broadcast Modules must be designed to
maximize the range at which the broadcast can be received.
2023-1-19
Use props
Pastime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-19 16:41
ok, i missed it.  please show me in the faa rules where dji was told they didn't need to enable rid on the m3p (because it was sub250) and they could keep producing it and selling it in the usa.  here's what i have so far, please let me know what i am missing.  i think you mentioned "letter of the law" so if you could just post that instead of a theory or interpretation, that would be most helpful; thank you.

Executive Summary

On top of everything you mentioned,the mini 3 pro owners manual on page #72
states that the drone is currently broadcasting RID from takeoff to landing.
Have a good day Saint.
2023-1-19
Use props
Lost Somewhere
lvl.3
Panama

The Saint Posted at 1-19 16:41
ok, i missed it.  please show me in the faa rules where dji was told they didn't need to enable rid on the m3p (because it was sub250) and they could keep producing it and selling it in the usa.  here's what i have so far, please let me know what i am missing.  i think you mentioned "letter of the law" so if you could just post that instead of a theory or interpretation, that would be most helpful; thank you.

Executive Summary

You're missing the point. Never mind. I'm glad you like the rules and implementation. Just accept that some people, most people, don't.
I'm not registered, because it's not required, you must know that since you know all the rules. So all of those items in your list mean what? Don't answer that, I don't care, it's irrelevant.
2023-1-20
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lost Somewhere Posted at 1-20 06:38
You're missing the point. Never mind. I'm glad you like the rules and implementation. Just accept that some people, most people, don't.
I'm not registered, because it's not required, you must know that since you know all the rules. So all of those items in your list mean what? Don't answer that, I don't care, it's irrelevant.

i knew it, noriega!  I said it twice:

"let me start with i hate the faa rid laws."
"did i mentioned i hate the rid laws?"

why? because i knew when you found out you were wrong, you would make up some nonsense about me working for the faa or dji or that maybe i was in love with the rules and totally agreed with them?  that's what people do when they are wrong and can't answer the questions or come back with the facts.

i said it.  im right.  you're wrong.  until you (or someone else) posts otherwise, you can call me a rules-lover or i don't get it or you can drone on about this ridiculous registration component all you want but the fact remains, the m3p has rid and that isn't going to change to suit you.  maybe you don't have to register in your country, i dunno.  maybe rid won't transmit in your country, i dunno.   you're right, it's irrelevant because dji chose to do something else.  your issue is with them, not with me.
2023-1-20
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

The Saint Posted at 1-20 07:45
i knew it, noriega!  I said it twice:

"let me start with i hate the faa rid laws."

love to see you guys in the US/America salivating over all those ridiculous rules for simply flying a drone recreationally!

For those who don't understand, it's an inside joke that refers to another thread. Don't get excited on the keyboard too fast, please.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =277688&pid=2961897
2023-1-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-20 09:02
love to see you guys in the US/America salivating over all those ridiculous rules for simply flying a drone recreationally!

The REALLY funny thing is Lost/noriega is in Panama. The FAA has zero control in his country.
LOVE the reference/link.
2023-1-20
Use props
JodyB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Posted in the wrong sub-forum. Not sure how I ended up here, lol. Sorry guys!
2023-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Japan

Its not working on mine in another country where its long been a legal requirement (and had a firmware update to add support for the country).

Despite getting the certificate downloaded to the drone and verified, on takeoff, no remote ID status appears at all and nothing is received on any device capable of displaying RID.
2023-9-5
Use props
mgdimarco
New

United States

Snook911 Posted at 1-6 10:59

If you use the extended flight battery, it weighs more than 250grams (.55lbs).
2023-9-13
Use props
Freetime
lvl.4
United States

3dbproductions Posted at 2022-12-8 09:15

RID has been pushed back to March 16,2024 now.
2023-9-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Freetime Posted at 9-13 17:47
RID has been pushed back to March 16,2024 now.

WRONG!!! If you have standard RID(built in) the Sept 16 is the deadline. If you are waiting for a module or firmware update, enforcement has been pushed to March. But ONLY if you are waiting.
2023-9-13
Use props
Freetime
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-13 18:01
WRONG!!! If you have standard RID(built in) the Sept 16 is the deadline. If you are waiting for a module or firmware update, enforcement has been pushed to March. But ONLY if you are waiting.

Nope remote id has been postponed until March 16,2024 across the board.
Go and check on Dronexl or dronedj.
2023-9-14
Use props
Freetime
lvl.4
United States

Freetime Posted at 9-14 08:31
Go and check on Dronexl or dronedj.

Kinda would not be fair to mandate it  for some pilots and delay it for others RIGHT.
So the only way to do it is across the board,wake up,
The FAA has created a big enough mess in the handling of this the way it is.Let alone trying to
mandate it for some and not others.
2023-9-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Freetime Posted at 9-14 08:31
Go and check on Dronexl or dronedj.

Date of compliance has NOT been changed!! Read the last paragraph.https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2023-20074.pdf
2023-9-14
Use props
Freetime
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-14 09:17
Date of compliance has NOT been changed!! Read the last paragraph.https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2023-20074.pdf

Not really in the mood to waste my time with this anymore,as you appear to be all goofed up now.
In closing all I I can say is and for the last time from me.RID is in fact postponed for six months,due
to supply chain issues with remote modules and also firmware updates.It is on many sights now,
including the FAA site.Done here,please to not reply as it appears we have a difference of opinion.
On this mess
2023-9-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

Freetime Posted at 9-14 09:39
Not really in the mood to waste my time with this anymore,as you appear to be all goofed up now.
In closing all I I can say is and for the last time from me.RID is in fact postponed for six months,due
to supply chain issues with remote modules and also firmware updates.It is on many sights now,

What I posted is the OffICIAL FAA document. NOT any off brand site. Your difference of opinion is with the FAA.
2023-9-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Regardless of when the official date of compliance falls, what matter most to the pilot is the enforcement date.  Please don't get caught up on the date because in the legal sense, traditionally when an organization publishes an deferred enforcement date, that's usually a sign that you can ignore the compliance date even though there are general conditions implied.  Based on what I read, there will not be selective enforcement.
2023-9-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-14 10:04
Regardless of when the official date of compliance falls, what matter most to the pilot is the enforcement date.  Please don't get caught up on the date because in the legal sense, traditionally when an organization publishes an deferred enforcement date, that's usually a sign that you can ignore the compliance date even though there are general conditions implied.  Based on what I read, there will not be selective enforcement.

I semi-agree, from what I have read from Big AL and Vic Moss on Mavic pilots and Greg from Pilot Institute, There MIGHT be selective enforcement, Mostly dependent upon the pilot's demeanor. As an example, after Saturday, if you have an old firmware Mavic 3 without RID turned on, you could very be cited. If you have a Phantom, you have a reason for noncompliance. If your drone has or can have standard RID, I would make sure it's enabled before Saturday!
2023-9-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-14 10:39
I semi-agree, from what I have read from Big AL and Vic Moss on Mavic pilots and Greg from Pilot Institute, There MIGHT be selective enforcement, Mostly dependent upon the pilot's demeanor. As an example, after Saturday, if you have an old firmware Mavic 3 without RID turned on, you could very be cited. If you have a Phantom, you have a reason for noncompliance. If your drone has or can have standard RID, I would make sure it's enabled before Saturday!

Sure I would agree that is the best course of action.  However, that's not what is said in any rule or regulation or law or even in the recent notice.  I get what is being said but you just can't make it up along the way.  Enforcement deferred means zero enforcement until March, if they wanted to selectively enforce it then they should refer to is as discretion.  I get it's the FAA they aren't the smartest and they're doing whatever they can to salvage or save the program but I also understand why they cannot postpone the date completely.

When you talk to people outside the FAA, those folks are going to be biased meaning they will do everything they can to try to get you to comply today because the FAA never mentions that you do not have to comply....because you DO have to comply.  But in the legal world, when there is no enforcement, compliance is irrelevant.  All the drone rules and regulation regarding waivers have been solid up until now, there's no reason to believe this notification falls along the same lines as a waiver (i.e. only under certain conditions and for certain flyers).

All this has done is create even more confusion.  I heard someone say if your drone is going to get standard RID update in December, then you are ok to fly.  I agree it is true but I agree it's true because enforcement is delayed, not because of some promise by DJI to deliver before a certain date.  Are they saying if DJI changes their sw update rollout date to July then Mavic pilots are suddenly subject to enforcement today or are they subject to enforcement in March?  I believe the defacto answer is March....for everybody.
2023-9-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 9-14 11:03
Sure I would agree that is the best course of action.  However, that's not what is said in any rule or regulation or law or even in the recent notice.  I get what is being said but you just can't make it up along the way.  Enforcement deferred means zero enforcement until March, if they wanted to selectively enforce it then they should refer to is as discretion.  I get it's the FAA they aren't the smartest and they're doing whatever they can to salvage or save the program but I also understand why they cannot postpone the date completely.

When you talk to people outside the FAA, those folks are going to be biased meaning they will do everything they can to try to get you to comply today because the FAA never mentions that you do not have to comply....because you DO have to comply.  But in the legal world, when there is no enforcement, compliance is irrelevant.  All the drone rules and regulation regarding waivers have been solid up until now, there's no reason to believe this notification falls along the same lines as a waiver (i.e. only under certain conditions and for certain flyers).

As I replied to Freetime earlier - READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH!!! This is the OFFICIAL statement from the FAA!!!
https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2023-20074.pdf
2023-9-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 9-14 11:56
As I replied to Freetime earlier - READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH!!! This is the OFFICIAL statement from the FAA!!!
https://public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2023-20074.pdf

Way to cover themselves!  
2023-9-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules