• >>>
Norway

HDR do look really good.

2022-12-7
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Rather than HDR, it just feels like underexposure to me...I don't know...I'll see when I try
2022-12-7
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Hello and thank you for sharing.
It's still not incredibly sharp...
And this worries about the skies.
The last update corrected but that confirms more a hardware problem than a software one.
2022-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HDR looks best to me.
2022-12-7
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Comparison between firmwares and competition...

2022-12-8
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

StevoB Posted at 12-8 00:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUxqAGDRbrI

November batch looks very nice...
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Kamen666 Posted at 12-8 03:21

You mean after rotating 10°CCW?
So far, I've only seen one video where the OA3 was in focus at close range without touching the lens, but it was probably a fake video, because it seemed to me that I was seeing the autofocus work.
2022-12-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

HDR looks the best.
2022-12-8
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Kamen666 Posted at 12-8 03:21

The comparison of the second videos with the GP11 does not reassure me... in the details, it is not good
2022-12-8
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Darklf Posted at 12-7 23:00
Hello and thank you for sharing.
It's still not incredibly sharp...
And this worries about the skies.

It seems he is using it behind a window, maybe that's why. You can see the window frame on occasions at the top right.
2022-12-8
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

osmonauta Posted at 12-8 05:08
It seems he is using it behind a window, maybe that's why. You can see the window frame on occasions at the top right.

I'm talking about Tamara's second video
2022-12-8
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Darklf Posted at 12-8 05:53
I'm talking about Tamara's second video

I was referring to your conment in post #7, hence the quote.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 758&pid=2922311

Tamara’s videos were posted later.
2022-12-8
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

StevoB Posted at 12-8 03:24
You mean after rotating 10°CCW?
So far, I've only seen one video where the OA3 was in focus at close range without touching the lens, but it was probably a fake video, because it seemed to me that I was seeing the autofocus work.

I mean comparing it to Tamara's first camera, this one has a much better focus than the first blurred one
2022-12-8
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Bulgaria

Darklf Posted at 12-8 04:11
The comparison of the second videos with the GP11 does not reassure me... in the details, it is not good

I don't expect detail to be as good as the gopro after any update, but focus is certainly improved over the first units from September
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Don’t we need to be looking at hdr on an hdr screen? If you don’t, then hdr is just dark looking, or is the hdr setting on the Action just a contrast control feature rather than true hdr?
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 09:12
Don’t we need to be looking at hdr on an hdr screen? If you don’t, then hdr is just dark looking, or is the hdr setting on the Action just a contrast control feature rather than true hdr?

It seems that way to me too...
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The thing is that if people are unaware of the difference and use it as an ‘exposure’ control for highlights, the tonal range would be incorrect from black to white which will also affect the way colours look.

That is, if it’s true hdr rather than a dynamic range control on the camera. I can see that people may well treat it as a dynamic range controller rather than hdr so the tonal balance would be incorrect throughout.

Your video editor would also need to be switched to hdr mode in order to show the correct tonal range. You can't mix and match and get the right tonal balance.

Perhaps Dji could clarify? Is this a dynamic range controller in camera or true hdr which requires an hdr screen and editor.

2022-12-8
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 12-8 05:08
It seems he is using it behind a window, maybe that's why. You can see the window frame on occasions at the top right.

That is what I thought... Terrible test to be honest
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HDR and 10 bit  do nothing for sharpness.

HDR affects tonal range and 10 bit affects colour manipulation but it would only show on a 10  bit screen. He's demoing the different tonal ranges.

If you watch on an 8 bit system, that’s what you get. Not 10 bit.

HDR is another thing on a non HDR screen though. It will look dark and not produce highlights properly because of the limitations of the screen.

2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Look same on HDR tv. Tested now.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It should show brighter highlights and probably look brighter, because it should be able to display more shades of mid grey than standard definition.

What happens in standard is that the subtle grey shades go to the nearest shade, often making the picture look dark. There should be more subtle differences in grey levels. HDR tends to look dull on standard screens, so DJI, is it really HDR or a gamma control?

You can't see HDR on a standard screen. Same with 10 bit. You can't see 10 bit colour on an 8 bit system.

Edit: I just had a thought ...... YouTube doesn't give 10 bit so it might also not give HDR which is why no one will see it there. Maybe the source material played on a 10 bit HDR screen will show a better picture?
HDR might be wasted on YouTube.

2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh no …. YouTube DOES give HDR. Just looked it up……. (As I was saying, you won’t see HDR on non HDR screens - I don’t know how they know though …..)

You can upload High Dynamic Range (HDR) videos to YouTube. HDR videos show higher contrast with more colours than standard digital video.

Viewers can watch HDR videos on compatible mobile devices and HDR TVs. They can also stream HDR videos using Chromecast Ultra to an HDR TV. Viewers will see 'HDR' after each quality option in the video player (for example, 1080p HDR).

Viewers watching on non-HDR devices will see the video as a standard dynamic range (SDR) video.
2022-12-8
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I have a HDR Screen here..

https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-40wp95c-w

But there is not much difference compared to other screens. Also not by playing the original source.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blimey, that’s posh!

I had a look on my HDR TV and I’m not seeing it much different to SDR either. Very strange. Begs the question …… is it really HDR or is it a gamma change in the camera?

Was it edited and rendered as HDR?

Also, the viewing screen on the camera isn't HDR, so you can't really see what you're getting. (Or you shouldn't be seeing it) I imagine it would just look dark so you'd just have to watch the highlights and sort out the low level stuff when you edit on an HDR screen.

Personally, I prefer the SDR shot, even though the sky is blown out. If you lowered the exposure for the sky, it would look like the HDR shot, which really, it shouldn't. You should see more detail in the HDR lowlights.
2022-12-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

me laptop has HDR so yeah  keepem coming
2022-12-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 10:00
HDR and 10 bit  do nothing for sharpness.

HDR affects tonal range and 10 bit affects colour manipulation but it would only show on a 10  bit screen. He's demoing the different tonal ranges.

Shooting in 10 bit vs 8 bit is for getting more dynamic range in the scenery while editing, but when you export it out it is 8 bit.

If the footage is in 8 bit, then you have less dynamic to edit from.

It is the same with raw vs jpg in photography.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

So the 10 bit is converted to 8 bit which can’t show what the 10 bit did?

David Harry did a test recently with 8 and 10 bit. He videod a blue screen graded from light to dark blue in both formats. Then exported the 10 bit version in 8 bit as well as 10.
In the 10 bit file, no banding. In the 10 bit file converted to 8 bit …. Banding. In fact, it looked exactly like the other original 8 bit file! I watched all 3 versions on a 10 bit screen, and only the original 10 bit file showed no banding. (No editing done on any of them)

He rendered on Da Vinci.

That’s why editing in 10 bit is great for a 10 bit screen but possibly not really for an 8 bit screen.

2022-12-8
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

StevoB Posted at 12-8 00:36

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUxqAGDRbrI

Based on your results i just ordered my 3rd adventure combo.  Hoping for good results.
2022-12-8
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 14:25
So the 10 bit is converted to 8 bit which can’t show what the 10 bit did?

David Harry did a test recently with 8 and 10 bit. He videod a blue screen graded from light to dark blue in both formats. Then exported the 10 bit version in 8 bit as well as 10.

The difference between 8-bit & 10-bit is huge
While 10-bit reaches 1024 colors per channel, 8-bit will only reach 256 per channel. This means that 8-bit files will display 16.7 million colors, while 10-bit will display about 1.07 billion, which is a lot more!

Pasted this from a search.

But again while editing 10 bit vs 8 bit there is a difference since you can get so much more out of dark and light areas.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, 10 bit gives 16.7 million colours where after conversion. 8 bit can only show 1024. How are all those colours shown in 8 bit?
For editing, 10 bit is brilliant. If you need to make a lot of colour changes though, 8 bit conversion could wreck it because it can't show the subtle variations of 10 bit. It's better to render in 10 bit.

10 bit watched in 10 bit is fantastic. Yes, the difference is huge.
10 bit watched in 8 bit is 8 bit……..
An 8 bit container can't store 10 bit information.

Video in colour looks great on a colour TV
On a black and white TV, the same footage is black and white although it's sent in colour.....

The HDR thing doesn't come up on my TV with the op's footage. It's not recognised as HDR so the HDR settings don't kick in on my tv. Makes me wonder if what Osmo are calling HDR is really just a gamma change to lower the highlights, but it's taking the lowlights down with it as well.

2022-12-9
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-9 01:14
Yes, 10 bit gives 16.7 million colours where after conversion. 8 bit can only show 1024. How are all those colours shown in 8 bit?
For editing, 10 bit is brilliant. If you need to make a lot of colour changes though, 8 bit conversion could wreck it because it can't show the subtle variations of 10 bit. It's better to render in 10 bit.

Very informative video
2022-12-9
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I did some additional tests with 10-bit D-CÖike, hdr, standard and standard with image improvements.  
In D-CLike, I always had significantly worse results than in other modes. It wasn't really possible to get anything comparable out of it with additional post-processing.
All in all, my additional experience was that the camera overexposes the videos in D-CLike and it's best to turn down the exposure beforehand.
2022-12-13
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My camera also seems to overexpose slightly on many occasions in normal mode. The exposure meter seems quite lively. I did a back lit shot with the sun behind me, and the Action exposed my face correctly …… I have no idea how that worked, unless the metering is just in the centre and the GoPro meter is overall. The difference was huge. The Action nailed it! GoPro put me into shadow.
2022-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules