Brand new DJI FPV Controller 2 Charging ISSUE (usb-c)
462 6 2022-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Yesterday i received my FPV Controller 2.
I was really happy because they are REALLY hard to get a hold of these days....

i first started to charge it the same way i charged the Motrion Controller i got with my Avata.... but no go....
it would NOT charge. (used the power supply i charge my fly more combo, goggles and motion controller with, with the usbc- usbc cable that came with my goggles)
I tried a different power supply , but still.... no go
I tried another 2 different power supply's, but no... no go.
I tried 5 different usb-c to usb-c cables..... nope, no go

I hooked it up to my PC, to update the firmware. The firmware on it was old.... really old... so i updated hoping this would fix the issue.
Tried al the above again, but no... it did not fix anything.

I was getting REALLY frustrated, waited a long time to get the controller, glad i FINALLY got it and now it's DOA?!?!?!?

as a last resort i tried one more power supply i had laying around, this was an older one with USB-a connector in it. All others were with an USB-c plug (to plug in an USB-c to USB-c cable) or with USB-C cable attached.
So i searched for an USB-a to USB-c cable (i don't have many of them...) and tried that.
THIS WORKED!!!!
The controller was charging now!!!

I googled a bit, and found out this used to be a problem of the motion controller AND the fpv controller 2, but now only on the FPV controller 2?!

But DJI.... please explain.... why is this a problem?
The avata, everything is USBc, all cables are USBc, there is NO usb a to c cable included in the package., but the avata AND the motion controller charge fine with an usb-c to usb-c cable. The fly more combo charging dock has NO usb a connector (my mavic pro's charger had, my mini 2 fly more combo charging dock has...)
Then i purchace the FPV controller 2, this is supplied withoud ANY cables.... just the controller (it does not even include the allan wrench to change stick tention and such...)
It has an USB-c connector, so you would think you can charge it the same as all other gear you get.... but NO...

So now i had to find a power supply with USB-a connector (not included with anything from this range, and i already had to provide my own power supply even to be able to charge the avata batterys and fly more kit on a normal and fast way?!?!?!) and i have to find an USB-a to USB-c cable or adapter, just to be able to charge....

Can you PLEASE give the FPV controller 2 a firmware update so i can use the charger i have for everything else in the Avata stuff please????
Getting everything to charge on this whole kit is getting a bit of a pain in the @$$ like this....
2022-12-8
Use props
moridh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2170876 ft
Malaysia

My issues wit the FPV controller 2:
- Does not charge with USB C - USB C cable.

-  Only charge up to 2 LEDs with USB A - USB C. Sometimes even discharging.

I just found a workaround yesterday. Use a USB C power brick (PD), use the USB C - USB A adapter (supplied with the goggles), then connect to the controller with USB A - USB C cable. Somehow now it charges OK & fast.
2022-12-11
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

Charging the controller 2 can sometimes get finnicky. Mine charges with a 12w charger with a USB-A to C cable. But i just keep my controller plugged in to my PC and it charges it pretty fast via USB3.0/3.1. Some USB cables are not rated to provide enough power and thats probably why its not getting charged. Yes, there are different rating for USB cables as well. Some can support fast charging, super fast charging, and some are low power data only usb cable
2022-12-11
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

SirStabbs Posted at 12-11 04:08
Charging the controller 2 can sometimes get finnicky. Mine charges with a 12w charger with a USB-A to C cable. But i just keep my controller plugged in to my PC and it charges it pretty fast via USB3.0/3.1. Some USB cables are not rated to provide enough power and thats probably why its not getting charged. Yes, there are different rating for USB cables as well. Some can support fast charging, super fast charging, and some are low power data only usb cable

I uderstand what you are saying here, but.....
I have also used chargers with intergrated cables, and they are rated for higher speeds as they are rated to work with the power that the charging brick gives.
The fly more combo charging dock works great with this, and fast.

I have several high quality, high power rated cables and NONE work.

The motion controller will charge with all the cables i have laying around. I used a phone charger (usbc connection) with one of my usb-c to usb-c cables, and it charges fine. But not the FPV controller!
Only thing i did not try was using the high power charging power supply that i use to charge the avata batteries, because in the manual of the motion controller it is stated that you must not use such high power supplies (if i understand correct). But the chargers the motion controller charges with, the FPV controller wont!
2022-12-11
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

Yeah, try a different power supply. Same thing with mine, the cable that comes with the motion controller works for the motion controller, but does not work with the fpv controller 2. i had to use a separate A to C cable with a 12w charging block for it to work. I also use the same cable when plugging in to my PC via USB 3.0/3.1 and letting it charge there.

Also USB C to C cable does not work for me when plugging in to my PC or a USB C charging block.

The USB cable i use came from my Fanatec DD steering wheel. which has an EMI Filter / Chokes on the cable.
2022-12-13
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

Simple Answer: Use USB-A to USB-C cable

Long answer:  USB-A port always has +5V available at all times, USB-C port does not.
To charge through USB-C port, the device must conform to USB-C PD protocol to let the port knows how much voltage and charge it needs - the FPV remote controller 2, probably from an earlier design, could not do this.   And the USB-C port with no such information, would stay at 0V.    It actually does not take much, only one resistor is enough.   But redesigning the circuit board is expensive, even though the material cost, in this case a resistor, is next to nothing.     Judging from the usual manufacturing design cycle, this is unlikely to happen until the next remote controller version.

In order to charge using a USB-C port, you have to use a USB-C to USB-A adapter (which would make the 5V available) and then use a USB-A to USB-C cable to charge.

This is actually quite common for many electronics which switched to USB-C port for charging like those flashlights or gadgets.
2022-12-13
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

you would expect this on "cheap and simple electronics" and even then, these electronics come with the cable you can use!
Not on a 150 euro controller that does not even come with a cable.... (nor with the propper instructions to charge it).

But indeed, with the mentioned "solutions", i can charge everything.
Although the motion controller is charging fine on a usbc - usbc cable
2022-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules