Slovakia

Nice....
2022-12-8
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

I am disgusted.. for me, quality is my priority in my choice between these models... the impractical side of the gopro bothers me
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Darklf Posted at 12-8 08:41
I am disgusted.. for me, quality is my priority in my choice between these models... the impractical side of the gopro bothers me

What do you mean by ‘impractical’? I’m guessing the  menus system? Or the locking/freezing issues?

With my GoPros, I set up presets so it’s all done in one click.
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 08:43
What do you mean by ‘impractical’? I’m guessing the  menus system? Or the locking/freezing issues?

With my GoPros, I set up presets so it’s all done in one click.

With two clicks
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Oh yes ….. you have select it first. Forgot that one!
It would be nice if Osmo could include a touch exposure on the screen. That would avoid blowouts in bright stuff easily. I didn't use it on the GoPro though for this. Everything auto.

2022-12-8
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

They had almost caught up with GoPro, but  only almost  
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes…… there’s a saying …. ‘Close, but not close enough’ …….

I think I’m more happy with the GoPro, but the Action was closer than I thought it would be. Maybe the new update has really helped it, but I have a feeling that I have a slightly out of focus lens on the left because, yes ……. I admit it …….

I pixel peeped. There, I feel better now. ;)
2022-12-8
Use props
Darklf
lvl.2
  • >>>
France

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 08:43

With my GoPros, I set up presets so it’s all done in one click.

I tried action 3 twice (reimbursed both times) but their quick-fixing system and simplified menus were pretty well done.
I found their approach rather good but too bad.
We will see version 4!
In addition, I have just discovered the go2 fixing system from ulanzi which looks good
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The diopter trick?
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Kamen666 Posted at 12-8 09:13
They had almost caught up with GoPro, but  only almost

Well, for what I need it for (and when I crack it to the forefront), I dare say that it is even better. The colors seem more realistic to me and I don't need to worry more about post-processing, coloring... You get a little better sound, more image data from the GP11 body, but you also have to sit at the PC more, but in the end it's not a huge difference. Yes, locking the exposure by holding your finger on the display and then moving it during recording is nice, and maybe they will add it to fw as a Christmas gift with gyro data
2022-12-8
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Darklf Posted at 12-8 09:24
I tried action 3 twice (reimbursed both times) but their quick-fixing system and simplified menus were pretty well done.
I found their approach rather good but too bad.
We will see version 4!

For very bright scenes, OA3 should be underexposed to -1eV max.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I normally do -.05 with the GoPro as well as many other cameras tbh.
2022-12-8
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

To me, the pictures from the Action 3 just look matchy compared to the GoPro.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Do you mean ‘mushy’?

If so, I do agree. If you go closer to the trees in the background, the A3 loses a lot of definition and it almost looks painted in places. I also 'think' the left hand part of the screen might be worse than the right.

2022-12-8
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 11:40
Do you mean ‘mushy’?

Yes :-) blurry...
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, not as good. And that is way better than what I was getting when I received the camera! The update improved things, but it hasn’t got to the level of the GoPro.
2022-12-8
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

There is difference like day and night :-(

2022-12-8
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Interesting to see! GP seems to have the edge here.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes. Dynamic range is better as well. The two cameras were next to each other and videoed at the exact same time; both in auto.
2022-12-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice comparison.  DJI is getting closer but without a doubt the GoPro 11 still edges out the Action 3.  
2022-12-8
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-8 09:16
Yes…… there’s a saying …. ‘Close, but not close enough’ …….

I think I’m more happy with the GoPro, but the Action was closer than I thought it would be. Maybe the new update has really helped it, but I have a feeling that I have a slightly out of focus lens on the left because, yes ……. I admit it …….

Pixel peeper.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
2022-12-8
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, it is better. Osmo haven’t done it yet!
2022-12-8
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
Italy

DJI is ahead on usability and is catching up quickly on IQ.

Other than the focus issue, and the fact that DJI won't add gyro output, the biggest thing I notice is that DJI typically over sharpens the image. This was true with the original Mavic and is true for the Osmo Action 3, except in the latter there isn't the option to turn down the sharpness. It looks particularly bad on water and foliage.

A more minor point for amateurs is the workflow. There's so much stuff out there for the GoPro in terms of colour correction profiles and luts, etc.. that it's just quicker to work with for some.
2022-12-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Good test you did here Ian
I really like OA3 and especially the colors
2022-12-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Johasenfoto. I just wanted to see how they compared set on auto. I think for ‘normal’ video, I might try the Osmo with the exposure slightly low. I agree, I’ve always like the colours that the Osmo 3 gives. In fact, I think better than the Action 1. Pretty similar to the 2.

The ease of use of the Osmo is streets ahead of the GoPro too.
2022-12-19
Use props
Tou_Tou
lvl.1

Japan

I have a Action 3. I have seen a lot of comparisons between Gopro 11 and Action 3. Almost every video of Gopro looks better, especially the clouds. One day, I saw someone say Gopro seems to have made some modifications to the clouds. I found that this is true. When I saw the clouds with the naked eye, there were not so many levels and details, but Gopro added some internal processing. In fact, the clouds of Action 3 are closer to reality. I think Gopro's approach is a little tricky, so now I don't care about the picture quality so much. As a sports camera, Action 3 has high-speed charging, long endurance, and better heat resistance, and its image quality is enough for most people's daily use.
2022-12-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The ‘cloud’ thing might be more to do with the GoPro giving less exposure than the Action 3. Also, less exposure than your eye.

I noticed that the GoPro, by comparison was exposing less than the Action, even though the shots were taken from exactly the same position (within 3 inches) at the same time. You can sometimes see more detail in an underexposed picture than the eye can see in bright areas. The GoPro doesn’t ‘add’ anything, it just sees more of the finer detail in the cloud that the eye doesn’t see, because it can underexpose and get everything down to a level easier to see what is happening in the highlights.

In that dark vegetation shot, the GoPro didn’t brighten the leaves up, where the Action did. When I ‘spun’, when the sun was right behind me, the GoPro put me into silhouette but the Action (for some reason) took a decent backlit shot. Whether that was also the flare from the sun, I’m not certain, but the GoPro all through seems to expose less, which would indeed make the clouds look different.

It also makes the Action look more vibrant in colour by comparison. The Action was in 'normal' mode and the GoPro in 'natural' colour. They do behave quite differently.
2022-12-20
Use props
Tou_Tou
lvl.1

Japan

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-20 02:45
The ‘cloud’ thing might be more to do with the GoPro giving less exposure than the Action 3. Also, less exposure than your eye.

I noticed that the GoPro, by comparison was exposing less than the Action, even though the shots were taken from exactly the same position (within 3 inches) at the same time. You can sometimes see more detail in an underexposed picture than the eye can see in bright areas. The GoPro doesn’t ‘add’ anything, it just sees more of the finer detail in the cloud that the eye doesn’t see, because it can underexpose and get everything down to a level easier to see what is happening in the highlights.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. You should be right.
2022-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules