Programmable buttons on handgrips for DJI Transmission
3808 10 2022-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jakerockwell
lvl.2
United States

The DJI Transmission system using the High-Bright Monitor with the Handgrips is the best of camera gear I have ever used.  However, there is one imporvement that would make the system perfect for my needs.... PROGRAMMABLE BUTTONS ON THE HANDGRIPS.

The Handgrips was made for the Ronin 4D so most buttons (Mode, Peak, Exposure as well as the index-finger triggers) do not work when using the Transmission system with another cameras.  It would be nice if these buttoms could be programed for the following actions:
  • Toggle Gyroscopic Control. The gyroscopic control is incredible. But if it's 'on' then the joystick on the handgrip to move the gimbal is deactivated (sometimes the joystick still works in gyroscopic mode but not all the time, Im not sure why. It's a little buggy). And often in Gyroscopic mode, the monitor gets turned too far around and needs to be reorientated. To reorientate now, you need to turn off Gyroscopic control, recenter your screen, and then turn Gyroscopic control back on.  This requires you to touch the gyrocsope widget on the monitor screen which opens up a right-side overlay where the Gyroscopic toggle button can be turned off before reorientating. Then after reorienting, you then have to turn Gyroscopic control back on, and then you have to press a button to close the right-side overlay (so you can see the whole image again).  This process requires a lot of button pushing and can ruin a shot or a movement.  The simpler solution..... a programmable button on the hand grip that lets me toggle the Gyroscopic control on or off without having to go through the menu screens.
  • Toggle Hand Grip Dial.  I mainly use the Handgrip Dial for my DJI focus motor that is attached to my zoom lens (70-200).  But I like to switch every now and then so I can use the dial to work with focus, aperature, ISO, etc.  The Transmission system lets me do this which is nice but I have to Click the setings button on the High-Bright Display, Then I have to press 'General Settings', then open up the dropdown to switch betwen Focus Motor, Aperature, ISO, Focus/Zoom, etc.  It would be great if there was a button on the hand grip that let me toggle between the different options. We would need some visual indicator on the High-Bright screen showing what the Hand Grip Dial was set to.
  • Toggle 'HDMI Info Display' on Sony Cameras. The ability to get into the menu system with Sony cameras (like the Sony FX3 or FX30) using the High Bright Monitor is super cool but it's unusable for me because I use the feed from the camera in a live switcher.  In order to use the Sony menu control using DJI Trnamission, 'HDMI Info Display' has to be turned on inside the camera itself, and when it's on, menu information is overlayed on the video that goes out of the HDMI port (into the Transmission system) and this is unusable in a video switcher.  (If you are just recording to camera, it's fine). When 'HDMI Info DIsplay' is turned off in the camera, I can no longer control my Menu Screen on the Transmission system and if I want to control it again, I have to walk to the camera and toggle 'HDMI Info Display' back on through the camera, which defeats the purpose of the a wireless control system.  To effectivaly use the Sony menu control using DJI Transmission, I need to be able toggle the camera's 'HDMI Info Display' setting on and off within the High-Bright monitor. It would be great if there was a programmable button on the hand grip that let me do this so that when I do need to make an adjustment in the camera menu, I could toggle it on to see the menu, and then after I make my adjustments, I could turn 'HDMI Info Display' off and be able to see the clean feed without the menu overlays.

Those are my feature requests for the Transmission System and they all see be solvable my making the buttons on the hand grip progrrammable.  

NOTE: There is one button that works on the handgrip that was a surprise to find that works... There's a little 'AF' button on the back of the right-side grip that auto-focuses on the subject when pressed.  This works even if Im using the Handgrip Dial to control the zoom motor.  I love this button. So whatever you do, keep this one working!
2022-12-8
Use props
Fango 1
lvl.3
United States

For question no 3 I think there is a way you could do it.

You would meed to setup HDMI info as your first item in your cameras "my menu". Also setup the camera so it always starts from the my menu page of the menu when you hit the menu button.
You would then be able to invoke the menu from the DJI screen, but you would have to navigate blind to turn on HDMI info. It should be one click right>one click down>center button click  on the DJI widget.

I did a quick test on my camera and it works. You just have to remember the three buttons you need to navigate blind.

Unfortunatly you cannot assign HDMI Info on/off to a custom button.

One other thing. Keep in mind that the DJI menu widget lets you get into the menu, but if you don't hit the menu button first, the 4 arrows and center button can be activated. So you can assign some custom functions on the camera to the multi fuction buttons on the camera and use them from the DJI scree,

Here is how I setup my multifuction button so that I can do a few things from the DJI screen.

Center button is set to toggle focus areas
Bottom arrow is setup to turn face focus on and off
Left arrow is for focus assist magnification
Right arrow turn on and off manual focus.
2022-12-8
Use props
Fango 1
lvl.3
United States

For point 2 it would be nice to have a widget that overlays the shutter speed, aperture and ISO number when you have HDMI info turned on. The widget could be a wee white frame around the shutter speed and if you tap the area it highlights and toggle the wheel (and or joystick) to change shutter speed ..... same thing for aperture and ISO.
I think it would be great this way as it would not add clutter on screen.

It would also be nice to have a widget for the available custom buttons on the camera that can be displayed on the DJI screen.

It would also be nice to have a drive mode, focus mode and shoot mode widget that can over ride the hardware dials on the camera. The Sony SDK does allow for this with the a9, a9ii and a1
2022-12-8
Use props
jakerockwell
lvl.2
United States

Fango 1 Posted at 12-8 15:16

You would meed to setup HDMI info as your first item in your cameras "my menu". Also setup the camera so it always starts from the my menu page of the menu when you hit the menu button.

Great stuff! Ive added the LUT toggle and the auto/manual focus toggle to my widget overlay.  Very cool!  And the ability to blindly turn on the HDMI Info by going to the "My Menu" page fist is a good-enough work-around (for now) but I do want to point out that if I am on any other row within that 'My Menu' page or the 'My Menu Settings' page, pressing the Menu button will take me to the 'My Settings' but it will take me to whatever row I was last on. So when turning off 'HDMI Display Info' (to get back to the clean feed on the Monitor), it's important to also click the 'Menu' button again to turn off the menu screen on the camera itself. That way, Ill be less likely to accidentally move the selector it to another row in 'My Menu'.
2022-12-8
Use props
FredBGG
lvl.3
United States

jakerockwell Posted at 12-8 16:04
Great stuff! Ive added the LUT toggle and the auto/manual focus toggle to my widget overlay.  Very cool!  And the ability to blindly turn on the HDMI Info by going to the "My Menu" page fist is a good-enough work-around (for now) but I do want to point out that if I am on any other row within that 'My Menu' page or the 'My Menu Settings' page, pressing the Menu button will take me to the 'My Settings' but it will take me to whatever row I was last on. So when turning off 'HDMI Display Info' (to get back to the clean feed on the Monitor), it's important to also click the 'Menu' button again to turn off the menu screen on the camera itself. That way, Ill be less likely to accidentally move the selector it to another row in 'My Menu'.

I had a zoom meeting with DJI and discussed adding functionality to the Transmission system for Sony and Nikon cameras.

A few things discussed and received well:

Adding Sony function buttons to the screen much like the current widget.
This would be very functional because it would allow huge customization by leveraging all the things one can customize on the camera without having to add too much to the DJI monitor.

Having the option to assign Sony/Nikon custom button function to unused buttons on the handles

Making the M button on the left handle function as an instant shutter release for stills.

Adding touch focus, touch track and tough shutter release to the monitor.

Adding a playback button to the DJI monitor so as to be able to review stills and clips one the camera.
Once the playback button is pressed the current Sony widget on the DJI monitor can do all the navigation to scroll through the stills and the new function button widget would also be really useful for reviewing and enlarging stills because Sony has a separate set of options for the function buttons once you switch to playback mode on the camera.
2022-12-11
Use props
jakerockwell
lvl.2
United States

The PortKeys monitor allows for touchscreen focusing and has indicators on the side showing the Iris, Shutter, ISO, etc.

2022-12-12
Use props
FredBGG
lvl.3
United States

jakerockwell Posted at 12-12 14:28
The PortKeys monitor allows for touchscreen focusing and has indicators on the side showing the Iris, Shutter, ISO, etc.

https://youtu.be/huMVx_vYBzQ

Yes we really need touch focus and touch focus tracking on the Transmission system.

It would also be great to have touch shutter release. Touch the subject you want on screen and the camera focuses and shoots.

The portkeys monitor is nice, but it is USB. so no remote capabilities and no gimbal control.
2022-12-12
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

yes all of this is very important , tons of buttons that do nothing right now...come on DJI!
2022-12-16
Use props
João Tomé
New

Australia

Fango 1 Posted at 2022-12-8 15:16

Hi Fango,

Great explanation I got that far also and it works. But I still can't get my IRIS, Shutter etc... available on the top of my screen and I don't know what I'm missing!
The options do appear once I turn on the monitor but after a few seconds disappears.

Could you help me with this please?
TIA
2023-5-8
Use props
jakerockwell
lvl.2
United States

João Tomé Posted at 5-8 03:47
Hi Fango,

Great explanation I got that far also and it works. But I still can't get my IRIS, Shutter etc... available on the top of my screen and I don't know what I'm missing!

This is a hack. I can adjust the exposure by setting one of the assigned buttons to 'AEL Toggle'. I always keep it locked. But if the object in the frame is too dark or too bright, I press the 'AEL Toggle' button and the exposure adjusts automatically. Then I press the 'AEL Toggle' button again it locks down that exposure. This can get frustrating, especially when the menu overlay is not shown because pressing the assigned button on the High-Bright Monitor isnt very responsive and I sometimes can't tell when it's locked or not. Plus you have to rely on the camera auto-adjusting the exposure properly. But, this fix beats having to run over to the camera during a shoot.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2 ... s/TP1000243351.html
2023-5-17
Use props
FredBGG
lvl.3
United States

jakerockwell Posted at 5-17 05:04
This is a hack. I can adjust the exposure by setting one of the assigned buttons to 'AEL Toggle'. I always keep it locked. But if the object in the frame is too dark or too bright, I press the 'AEL Toggle' button and the exposure adjusts automatically. Then I press the 'AEL Toggle' button again it locks down that exposure. This can get frustrating, especially when the menu overlay is not shown because pressing the assigned button on the High-Bright Monitor isnt very responsive and I sometimes can't tell when it's locked or not. Plus you have to rely on the camera auto-adjusting the exposure properly. But, this fix beats having to run over to the camera during a shoot.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2035/v1/en/contents/TP1000243351.html

interesting workaround.

I use 5 custom functions through the menu widget. I lose access to the menu, but I generally don't need to get into the menu remotely. I need to adjust other functions more than the menu.
2023-6-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules