Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can't fly with new update without having phone connected
1234Next >
19600 151 2022-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

DKGPST Posted at 12-9 05:01
Don't worry too much, FAA Remote ID should only be activated when the GPS of the aircraft is in the US. Even if FCC hack there will only be a RID ERROR warning, but the aircraft will not be prevented from taking off since the Remote ID is not connected to the phone. It is not really activated, you can try it boldly

so i will have the warning, but it will not stop me from taking off?

Hmm, ok, to bad the warning will be there then... but i'll test thanks!
2022-12-9
Use props
A1C
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

DKGPST Posted at 12-9 05:26
You guys can read this early DJI post. FAA Remote ID Compliance User Guide-FAQ

So with this update requiring the phone to be connected, they are failing #18.
2022-12-9
Use props
DKGPST
lvl.2
Hong Kong

BadBert Posted at 12-9 05:40
so i will have the warning, but it will not stop me from taking off?

Hmm, ok, to bad the warning will be there then... but i'll test  thanks!

Correct, do not block takeoff and broadcast FAA Remote ID signals
2022-12-9
Use props
DKGPST
lvl.2
Hong Kong

A1C Posted at 12-9 06:25
So with this update requiring the phone to be connected, they are failing #18.
The correct answer is in the #6, to connect the phone for location, but the phone does not have to be connected to the network.

2.6        What actions do I need to take if I want to comply with the Remote ID rule by upgrading RID-compliance firmware?
In theory, no action is required until September 16, 2023. If you are already planning to comply with the Remote ID rule, you may need to take the following three actions.

Action 1: Upgrade RID-compliant Firmware
The RID-compliant firmware released by DJI meets the compliance requirements of Standard Remote ID. To meet the requirements of the FAA Remote ID rule, both the drone firmware and the DJI flight control app need to be upgraded. The following operation must be followed as well:
        If you are a user of a DJI remote controller without an integrated GNSS system, such as DJI RC-N1, you need to connect an external device with an integrated GNSS system such as a cell phone or tablet as a location source to it, and must run the DJI flight control app such as DJI Fly in the foreground and always allow the DJI flight control app to obtain its location information.
        If you are a user of a DJI remote controller without an integrated GNSS system, such as DJI Motion Controller and DJI FPV Remote Controller 2, and wearing a DJI Goggles without an integrated GNSS system, you need to upgrade the firmware of the DJI Goggles, connect the above external device as a location source to the DJI Goggles, run the DJI flight control app such as DJI Fly in the foreground and always allow the DJI flight control app to obtain its location information.
2022-12-9
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

Now that it seems like this is "the way things have to be," I may just keep the upgrade since it's gotta happen sooner or later and might as well get some 10-bit color out of it.
2022-12-9
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

DKGPST Posted at 12-9 06:26
Correct, do not block takeoff and broadcast FAA Remote ID signals

hmm... to bad the warning stays there then but at least it will take off
DJI should make it so that when the remote ID is not needed, even though a phone is NOT connected, the warning should NOT appear on the screen.

Please dji.... fix that for us
2022-12-9
Use props
Drey. I
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm getting my Avata today and if that is true this is really stupid.
2022-12-9
Use props
Hemon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11551329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

DKGPST Posted at 12-9 04:48
After the FCC hack caused the RID error, even if you don't connect phone, the aircraft can still take off, right?

Nope. If the drone is in CE mode, there is no error. If the drone using hacks is in FCC mode, an error appears.
However, there is already a solution, I think everyone just needs to do it and fly.
2022-12-9
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

Hemon Posted at 12-9 07:57
Nope. If the drone is in CE mode, there is no error. If the drone using hacks is in FCC mode, an error appears.
However, there is already a solution, I think everyone just needs to do it and fly.

What solution? Just connect your phone and fly?
2022-12-9
Use props
Drey. I
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

Killerbee Posted at 12-9 08:13
What solution? Just connect your phone and fly?

That's just BS
2022-12-9
Use props
SMcDaid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3090846 ft
United States

WernerD Posted at 12-9 03:36
Tested in Austria/EU:
After a long consideration, I have decided to upgrade. Then I did shut down all and powered all up with phone disconnected.
When the drone was inside my room it did not find any satellites and did not complain about the remote id.

"The point I do not get is why use the sender's position at all. Use the home point GPS as the pilot's location. That should be good enough."

YES! How is this not the obvious answer for everyone? The home point will always be just a few feet away from the pilot!
2022-12-9
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

SMcDaid Posted at 12-9 09:24
"The point I do not get is why use the sender's position at all. Use the home point GPS as the pilot's location. That should be good enough."

YES! How is this not the obvious answer for everyone? The home point will always be just a few feet away from the pilot!

But the FAA calls the shots for devices sold in the US, and they are going full fascist to force all drone manufacturers that want to sell in the US to have an actual pilot GPS coordinates since the Avata can set a new Home point after takeoff, thereby defeating their Remote ID rules.
2022-12-9
Use props
idahoskiguy
lvl.1
United States

Thank you all for the warning
2022-12-9
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, if that will be the future...what will happen if you are away in a remote area in the woods without a cell service? you better bring a real camera.
All other drones without a GPS will be selling like a hot cake (comply will be up to you, not the drone maker)...and if you want one, you will need to learn to fly for real without GPS aid.  
The problem is that those drones turned to be too easy to fly and any moron now can have one and do stupid things and we all suffer the consequences with stupid rules.
Also, is not only about your location, is about to enforce the registration...money matters
2022-12-9
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18832116 ft
  • >>>
United States

Now thats some bull
2022-12-9
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

HDPS Posted at 12-9 10:58
So, if that will be the future...what will happen if you are away in a remote area in the woods without a cell service? you better bring a real camera.
All other drones without a GPS will be selling like a hot cake (comply will be up to you, not the drone maker)...and if you want one, you will need to learn to fly for real without GPS aid.  
The problem is that those drones turned to be too easy to fly and any moron now can have one and do stupid things and we all suffer the consequences with stupid rules.

youre not going to need cell service; period.
2022-12-9
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-9 12:21
youre not going to need cell service; period.

After Sept 2023 anything is possible as we just keep on bending over.  Only hope is the Law Suit outcome will be favorable to us.
2022-12-9
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

HDPS Posted at 12-9 14:23
After Sept 2023 anything is possible as we just keep on bending over.  Only hope is the Law Suit outcome will be favorable to us.

i agree anything is possible but i doubt the faa will require internet service since they had it once upon and then took it back; not likely they're going to re-up that ridiculousness.
2022-12-9
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

Can confirm. Non-US pilots can safely update and even use FCC hack.
We get all the goods and can fly without a phone connected to the goggles.
There's only a Remote ID warning when booting the goggles, but you can choose to skip that.

After that, it's happy flying!
2022-12-10
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

Killerbee Posted at 12-10 02:58
Can confirm. Non-US pilots can safely update and even use FCC hack.
We get all the goods and can fly without a phone connected to the goggles.
There's only a Remote ID warning when booting the goggles, but you can choose to skip that.

LOL.  Once again, US citizens are learning that their government hates them.
2022-12-10
Use props
Marcussouza_
lvl.1
Flight distance : 296201 ft
Brazil

I'm in Brazil. After this month's updates, my Dji Avata in two situations started to fly out of control, as if it had lost GPS, I don't understand.
Can anyone teach how to downgrade to the previous version?
2022-12-10
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

Marcussouza_ Posted at 12-10 06:52
I'm in Brazil. After this month's updates, my Dji Avata in two situations started to fly out of control, as if it had lost GPS, I don't understand.
Can anyone teach how to downgrade to the previous version?

Open the app on your computer and plug in the goggles 2. They will come up in the app. Click on them and on the next page it will show your current firmware. Just click the firmware previous to that one and it will roll it back. Then do the same for the Avata and the controllers.
2022-12-10
Use props
Marcussouza_
lvl.1
Brazil

FPVTrendz Posted at 12-10 07:53
Open the app on your computer and plug in the goggles 2. They will come up in the app. Click on them and on the next page it will show your current firmware. Just click the firmware previous to that one and it will roll it back. Then do the same for the Avata and the controllers.

I managed to do it with DJI Goggles 2 and the controller, but with Avatar it didn't work.
When I tried with Avata, the only option that appeared was the currently installed one (01.02.0000).
2022-12-10
Use props
WernerD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

CappyA330 Posted at 12-9 09:56
But the FAA calls the shots for devices sold in the US, and they are going full fascist to force all drone manufacturers that want to sell in the US to have an actual pilot GPS coordinates since the Avata can set a new Home point after takeoff, thereby defeating their Remote ID rules.

Out of interest I pulled the FAA regs:

Therefore, the FAA is requiring that the remote identification broadcast module provide an indication of the unmanned aircraft takeoff location as a proxy for the remote pilot’s location.

top of page 162
https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.go ... teID_Final_Rule.pdf

Looks to me as if the take off location, aka Home Point, is good enough.
2022-12-10
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

WernerD Posted at 12-10 10:29
Out of interest I pulled the FAA regs:

Therefore, the FAA is requiring that the remote identification broadcast module provide an indication of the unmanned aircraft takeoff location as a proxy for the remote pilot’s location.

That is a "Remote ID Broadcast Module" which is not what Avata and other drones prior to September 2022 have. Avata has "standard Remote ID" which means it is baked into the device. A Remote ID Broadcast Module is for after the fact DIY drones (or those manufactured prior to September 2022) where the user adds Remote ID to their device.
From page 3 of the FAA final rule document: there are TWO types of Remote ID devices:

C. Standard Remote Identification Unmanned Aircraft
D. Remote Identification Broadcast Modules

Avata is in the category of "C".

2022-12-10
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

dalethrip Posted at 12-8 14:53
I was able to downgrade to the previous version on the DJI Assistant 2, both the Avata and the Goggles 2.  No more Remote ID error.

I was able to downgrade the goggles, but the avata itself the old firmware doesnt show up in DJI assistant anymore.
2022-12-10
Use props
Pajomota
lvl.4
Flight distance : 710197 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Uberau Posted at 12-9 05:39
My Avata worked like you said (in Europe). Just a new warning message, press OK and fly normally.

But do you have The FCC Hack?
2022-12-10
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

Well, I couldn't even turn the screen off of my phone without getting the error. Honestly, being connected to the phone didn't bother me much once I was actually flying, but I don't like having my phone screen on and unlocked in my pocket.
2022-12-10
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

For people wondering. You only need to plug the goggles until you get the RID to recognize the mobile GPS. Take off while it is plugged, then you can safely unplug from your mobile device while hovering. I tested this out and im still able to fly the Avata without limitations. i do see the "RID Error" on the goggles after unplugging it, but everything was fine on the Drone Recording.

Also, i used my ipad air 2 for the RID verification. And i DO NOT have mobile service nor wifi enabled. i simply opened the DJI Fly App, connected the Avata via Goggles 2, took off, disconnected while hovering, and everything was flying like normal. But once you land, and disarm, you will have to connect the goggles to the mobile device again to take off.

*EDIT*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLsg3C96dk

Here is the flight video, i unplugged the goggles at 1:38 and you'll see the "Remote ID Error" on the bottom right of the screen. But im still able to fly wihtout problems.

2022-12-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Ken H Posted at 12-8 22:05
I can confirm this happened after the update.  After the goggles 2 and Avata connect you get a remote id error. It only goes away if you connect the goggles to your phone with a cable and DJI Fly running. If you disconnect the cable the remote id error comes back and will not allow you to fly.  Hundreds of people on YouTube have confirmed this is happening to them as well.  Rolling  back gets rid of the error but then the drone does not let you start the propellers to take off.

Thank you for your response. To comply with the RID request of the FAA, after the new firmware, the US users need to connect the DJI Avata to DJI Fly app every time they power on the Avata to fly. It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-12-10
Use props
WernerD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 350837 ft
  • >>>
Austria

CappyA330 Posted at 12-10 11:28
That is a "Remote ID Broadcast Module" which is not what Avata and other drones prior to September 2022 have. Avata has "standard Remote ID" which means it is baked into the device. A Remote ID Broadcast Module is for after the fact DIY drones (or those manufactured prior to September 2022) where the user adds Remote ID to their device.
From page 3 of the FAA final rule document: there are TWO types of Remote ID devices:

Thank you.
2022-12-10
Use props
Marcussouza_
lvl.1
Brazil

JoeJK3D Posted at 12-10 15:40
I was able to downgrade the goggles, but the avata itself the old firmware doesnt show up in DJI assistant anymore.

Did you test it after the downgrade?
2022-12-11
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

2022-12-11
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

SirStabbs Posted at 12-10 16:41
For people wondering. You only need to plug the goggles until you get the RID to recognize the mobile GPS. Take off while it is plugged, then you can safely unplug from your mobile device while hovering. I tested this out and im still able to fly the Avata without limitations. i do see the "RID Error" on the goggles after unplugging it, but everything was fine on the Drone Recording.

Also, i used my ipad air 2 for the RID verification. And i DO NOT have mobile service nor wifi enabled. i simply opened the DJI Fly App, connected the Avata via Goggles 2, took off, disconnected while hovering, and everything was flying like normal. But once you land, and disarm, you will have to connect the goggles to the mobile device again to take off.

I can confirm this works just as you stated.

One thing of note, if someone is using the DJI Fly app on an iPhone, it can be in Airplane mode. It does not need to be connected to the Internet as you correctly noted by using DJI Fly on an iPad.

2022-12-11
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-10 20:08
Thank you for your response. To comply with the RID request of the FAA, after the new firmware, the US users need to connect the DJI Avata to DJI Fly app every time they power on the Avata to fly. It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. Thank you for your understanding and support.

To be more accurate, the DJI Fly app does not need to be connected to the Internet to fly. Only that the iPad/iPhone/Andriod device is able to get a GPS signal, which does not need the internet.

Quite a few folks have tested this. Power up Avata, Goggles, controller, connect a device running DJI Fly app to the goggles  (either without internet, or in airplane mode).

After you take off, you can safely disconnect the DJI Fly app.
2022-12-11
Use props
digibud
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-8 21:38
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm if the issue happens after a firmware update? Can you please provide us a short video record or a screenshot showing the issue with the error message for us to forward to our designated team? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

in another post you said, "please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. "  Really? Here in Alaska much of the state does not have any internet available. Even driving between our two largest cities there are areas with no internet. Is internet access now required for flight???
2022-12-11
Use props
DroneNomics
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5681463 ft
  • >>>
United States

dalethrip Posted at 12-8 14:53
I was able to downgrade to the previous version on the DJI Assistant 2, both the Avata and the Goggles 2.  No more Remote ID error.

I heard that this was not an option and if you did downgrade, the propellers wouldn't spin/arm?
2022-12-11
Use props
DroneNomics
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5681463 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in the US. I've been buying and flying DJI drones since 2016. I know this isn't DJI's doing but this could have been handled better... This is unacceptable and I think this is the last issue I'm going to take. I'm probably going to sell what I have in favor of building my own drones. A company this big should not expect me to have to fly my drone this way. This is not what I bought and was promised. Also, WE as a drone community have to push back against these regulations that serve big business, that WE ultimately fund.
2022-12-11
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

DroneNomics Posted at 12-11 08:38
I heard that this was not an option and if you did downgrade, the propellers wouldn't spin/arm?

Can confirm. Avata is now stuck on latest firmware. no way to revert back using the DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drone) or (DJI FPV series)
2022-12-11
Use props
djiuser_vjbLXrmRmLIi
lvl.1

United States

Yeah yeah yeah is happening here too they have to fix that ….I believe  that is a programming error …pretty sure they will fix it on the next update…..nobody wants to fly with a phone hanging on their head with the Possibility of unplugging it and bye bye drone
2022-12-11
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules