19679 151 2022-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

digibud Posted at 12-11 08:21
in another post you said, "please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. "  Really? Here in Alaska much of the state does not have any internet available. Even driving between our two largest cities there are areas with no internet. Is internet access now required for flight???

No, it does not require internet access - just a GPS position. Since most smart phones have GPS, that is all that is needed. More importantly, many (including me) have confirmed that once airborne, you can disconnect the phone/iPad etc. The DJI Fly app is just used to get an initial GPS position and take off. Then it is only used to provide GPS position of the pilot. After that, if you disconnect, it merely gives you a Remote ID error in the goggles.

Since Standard Remote ID is only required to be baked in by the manufacturer now, I suspect that come September 2023, the FAA's stipulation that Standard Remote ID constantly report pilot as well as drone position, DJI will be forced to take away the ability to disconnect DJI Fly app after airborne.

This was not well-thought out, and the implementation is poorly executed considering that pilot position is only required after September 2023 - but ultimately the blame goes to the FAA and an out of control government that hates its citizens.
2022-12-11
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

SirStabbs Posted at 12-11 09:56
Can confirm. Avata is now stuck on latest firmware. no way to revert back using the DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drone) or (DJI FPV series)

This should work if you want to downgrade but can't find the option in DJI Assistant 2

2022-12-11
Use props
FreeFlyer2017
lvl.1
United States

Killerbee Posted at 12-11 12:20
This should work if you want to downgrade but can't find the option in DJI Assistant 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YChNotLFDk

This does not work. The avata (WM169) isn't even in the list to change to 1. I added it to the .ini file and it still doesn't show a downgrade option.
There is a workaround. If you look hard enough you can find it. I wont post it here.
2022-12-11
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

FreeFlyer2017 Posted at 12-11 17:11
This does not work. The avata (WM169) isn't even in the list to change to 1. I added it to the .ini file and it still doesn't show a downgrade option.
There is a workaround. If you look hard enough you can find it. I wont post it here.

Found it. Thanks.
2022-12-11
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Search on youtube....
there is a work around, you won't get an error or warning after that ;)
2022-12-12
Use props
JAMh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4754715 ft
  • >>>
Spain

BadBert Posted at 12-12 00:08
Search on youtube....
there is a work around, you won't get an error or warning after that ;)

any more info?
2022-12-12
Use props
Tony Camacho
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1689495 ft
United States

Ranger7777 Posted at 12-8 14:52
OK, USA peeps.   I just did the update and can confirm that without a phone connected to the goggles you will get a Remote ID error in the goggles and be unable to fly.   I tested this first with my Tripltek tablet i use for my Mini2  The tablet has WiFi only and does not have a cellular connection.  Connect device, start DJI Fly and all is well, I can fly.  I then tested with my iPhone 12 with the same result as the tablet.  I tested with the phone in standard mode, everything enabled, WiFi and Cellular and also tested with the phone in Airplane mode.  Able to fly in either condition.  So, guessing this is the new way to fly.

But, we all knew this was coming and guessing now that the Avata is on the FAA list of Remote ID compliant drones, DJI did the implementation.  I did see and interview a few days ago with the FAA drone guy and he did say that if a member of the public had an app that can pick up remote ID it will be short range.  The person would probably be able to see you visually.  Well, that remains to be seen.

I use a old IPhone 7 that has no SIM card, phone or internet service. I previously used the same phone as a display for my P4P to display my position on cached maps. Since the Avata RID firmware update I have used this phone to fly my Avata in areas with no phone or internet service. Even with this phone in “Airplane” mode the phone still provides the GPS data the RID update requires and I am able to fly without the RID error warning. Bottom line, is that internet or phone service is not required, only the GPS data the phone provides is needed to fly.  My question to DJI is, “if the Goggles 2 have “Bluetooth” capabilities, why can’t this GPS data be provided by the small Bluetooth GPS modules which are currently available”?
2022-12-16
Use props
fans6e6548bd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1785919 ft
  • >>>
United States

Big setback. We are using the Avata for live broadcast. Outputting the picture from the goggles 2 usb-c port to an RC pro running FPV Live. Now my phone needs to be using that port. Losing jobs and $$$.
DJI please fix.
2022-12-20
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

I fixed it for myself by getting an ultra small android device and strapping it to my goggles.   Just keep it packed with them.    A Palm PVG100 ( for $45 off Ebay), its an android 8.1 phone that I pulled the Sim from and just used WiFi to get it setup and ... as they say... bobs your uncle.

I am designing a small clip for it for the head strap.

2022-12-20
Use props
dighawaii
New

United States

JoeJK3D Posted at 12-20 12:26
I fixed it for myself by getting an ultra small android device and strapping it to my goggles.   Just keep it packed with them.    A Palm PVG100 ( for $45 off Ebay), its an android 8.1 phone that I pulled the Sim from and just used WiFi to get it setup and ... as they say... bobs your uncle.

I am designing a small clip for it for the head strap.

That's pretty good, but I'm more interested in the comment, "If you look hard enough you can find the workaround/ won't post here"
2022-12-31
Use props
dighawaii
New

United States

FreeFlyer2017 Posted at 12-11 17:11

Please help me to accidentally stumble across this information.

Not sure if this forum has PMs
2022-12-31
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18832116 ft
  • >>>
United States

dighawaii Posted at 12-31 09:59
Please help me to accidentally stumble across this information.

Not sure if this forum has PMs

I don't think you can roll it back with Assistant 2, probably cause DJI removed the other (older) firmwares from their servers for the avata, so they won't show up as an option to install.  
2022-12-31
Use props
Droneman32
New

United States

Unfortunately its true and a royal pain
2022-12-31
Use props
Lucas626
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's been weeks since the last time I turned on my Avata, I don't think I'll be updating it.
2022-12-31
Use props
rdlohr
lvl.1

United States

I tried to be compliant and just use it as designed.  My phone pulled out of my pocket and dropped on the cement.  Believe it or not, I have used this phone for over a year without dropping it and I've now dropped it after one flight.  As other have mentioned this solution ties up the USB port that is intended to be available for other use during flight, otherwise it would have been used for power.  Clearly DJI you can do better.  Please come up with a better solution quickly.
2023-1-3
Use props
mark426
lvl.3
Flight distance : 854117 ft
United States

See so simple to have a small gps receiver attach to the existing goggles or be built in any future versions. The need to attach the goggles to a phone is such a poor solution. Come on DJI, you have some great products, this is such a disappointment to a simple problem.
2023-1-5
Use props
jimmylee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know much about Android phones, would this low-cost phone supply the needed GPS info for the Avata?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B38V ... _lig_dp_it&th=1
2023-1-5
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

jimmylee Posted at 1-5 14:36
I don't know much about Android phones, would this low-cost phone supply the needed GPS info for the Avata?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B38VHFCN/?coliid=IVVLHVTDGK0NY&colid=W2PDHLHTQZJ2&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

No, it's not running the correct Android. It's running 6 and I've already tested 6,7,8, and 9 and the DJI app will not run on those.

Here is the exact one I purchased and got a clip for it to clip it to my lanyard.

Cell Phone: https://amzn.to/3GlYgv1
Cell Phone Holder clip: https://amzn.to/3IreS7m

Those are affiliate links above that would make me a little bit of money.
If you wish to not use an affiliate link, here are the direct links to those. It's up to you

Cell Phone: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BBXBXCFC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Cell Phone Clip: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B45HP54F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

2023-1-5
Use props
djiuser_Ug2lyjGmsdYm
lvl.1

United States

Just discovered this remote ID requirement on my maiden flight with the Avata. Having my phone connected to the goggles while flying is a major drag. It prevents natural movement of my head and I know I'm bound to have my phone pulled out of my pocket and onto the ground. Glad it appears you can unplug it once the drone is in the air, but I sure hope DJI has an update in the works that allows this to occur wirelessly over bluetooth. Nearly $2k for a drone that requires being tangled up in wires is not cool.
2023-1-5
Use props
Ulven
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1195394 ft
  • >>>
Norway

DKGPST Posted at 2022-12-9 04:48
After the FCC hack caused the RID error, even if you don't connect phone, the aircraft can still take off, right?

I live in Norway, have the latest firmware and the FCC hack, no need for the phone connected. No remote ID error.
2023-1-6
Use props
fansd9ed854a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149757 ft
South Africa

Ulven Posted at 1-6 00:19
I live in Norway, have the latest firmware and the FCC hack, no need for the phone connected. No remote ID error.

I live in South Africa...same story as you
2023-1-6
Use props
Haz albuquerque NM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 497421 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is what i use with my cellphone . https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3Q ... ct_details&th=1
2023-1-6
Use props
jimmylee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>
United States

FPVTrendz Posted at 1-5 15:21
No, it's not running the correct Android. It's running 6 and I've already tested 6,7,8, and 9 and the DJI app will not run on those.

Here is the exact one I purchased and got a clip for it to clip it to my lanyard.

OK Thanks, good to know that phone won't work.

I was hoping for something a bit smaller than the one you suggested.
2023-1-6
Use props
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

Yeah so I was having a bit of buyers remorse recently also.   Not for the money that I have spent but regarding this whole firmware updates when I tried to fly the darn thing.  See this thread.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=282126

It's hard to go and have some simple flying fun with all the added inconvenience.

The now neccesary wire connecting a phone to the goggles in order to fly is a mega nuisance.  
But it only get's worse.

I borrow my wife's phone because mine is not supported which is really not a big deal.   But seriously, how many pants pockets and wires hanging off of these goggles and implements do I need available to go fly this thing in my backyard?

Here is when the real headache begins.  I get the motors buzzing with the phone link and everything legit, then I try to slip a big ass phone into my pocket.   Barely tap the wrong button on the side of the phone and RED ERROR - start all over

Then I link up again and hit another wrong button on the side of her phone while it's in my pocket while ready to takeoff.  Unlink.   
Red Error again.
How many times do I need to pull the goggles off-on off-on off-on off-on off, and back onto my face before I just move on and do something else which is less frustrating?

Fix this or I'm out.

It's bad.  Something that is supposed to be fun becomes an annoyance   Why bother?

It's so irritating at this point as much as I like the flying part I'm ready to sell everything at a loss dji and start over with a different manufacturer.

2023-1-7
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JSK73 Posted at 1-7 18:38
Yeah so I was having a bit of buyers remorse recently also.   Not for the money that I have spent but regarding this whole firmware updates when I tried to fly the darn thing.  See this thread.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=282126
Sure does suck having to tether your phone on your goggles everytime you wanna fly don't it.  
2023-1-8
Use props
Milavatatar
New

United States

scoble08 Posted at 2022-12-8 13:47
Unfortunately, It might be permanent (I certainly hope not!) because RID requires location of pilot (phone/tablet?)!  Maybe they can incorporate that aspect of RID into the goggles so phone/tablet connection is not required.  This wreaks!  Not updating!
Thx for your notification FPV!

I hope they will make it so the drone itself is able to remote-id, hopefully the goggles can Bluetooth with phone or something
2023-1-9
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

FPVTrendz Posted at 1-5 15:21
No, it's not running the correct Android. It's running 6 and I've already tested 6,7,8, and 9 and the DJI app will not run on those.

Here is the exact one I purchased and got a clip for it to clip it to my lanyard.

Umm...  I have DJI Fly working just fine on an Android 8.1 device...   https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=281630   I have a micro Palm phone strapped to the headset that works perfectly for this role.   the Fly app only requires Android 7 I believe.  No reason to rock a full size phone and no reason to need Android 12.   given Newer android will be supported, patched and all that good stuff, so thats good.  the app runs just fine on an Android 8 device.

You cant get the app from the Play Store, you follow the android install instructions from DJI top get it.
2023-1-10
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

jimmylee Posted at 1-6 18:05
OK Thanks, good to know that phone won't work.

I was hoping for something a bit smaller than the one you suggested.

the Palm PVG100 works,  you can find them on Ebay now and then for $45 or less.  I got mine for $40.    But you can get them any time for around 50-80$.   It's as small as a credit card and runs Android 8.1... it works fine with DJI Fly if you follow the install instructions for Android from DJI (since the fly app is not in the Play store)
2023-1-10
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

This is my setup I've been using for weeks, works perfectly.
2023-1-10
Use props
scoble08
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4327592 ft
  • >>>
United States

JoeJK3D Posted at 1-10 13:42
[view_image]  This is my setup I've been using for weeks, works perfectly.

What cell phone adapter are you using?  Provide link if possible.
2023-1-11
Use props
JeffB99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13799 ft
United States

As of 1/11, there appears to be yet another firmware update available on top of the Dec one I already installed that enabled RID with all of the cell phone/GPS start up headaches.  I can't seem to find any info about it on the site and I'm hesitant to download it...given the hassles I now have from the Dec update.  Does anyone know what's in the newest update??  Maybe fixes to all the issues people are complaining about??  (Wishful thinking!!)

--Jeff
2023-1-11
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JeffB99 Posted at 1-11 10:55
As of 1/11, there appears to be yet another firmware update available on top of the Dec one I already installed that enabled RID with all of the cell phone/GPS start up headaches.  I can't seem to find any info about it on the site and I'm hesitant to download it...given the hassles I now have from the Dec update.  Does anyone know what's in the newest update??  Maybe fixes to all the issues people are complaining about??  (Wishful thinking!!  )

--Jeff

i wouldnt touch it, unless you know more about it
2023-1-11
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

JeffB99 Posted at 1-11 10:55
As of 1/11, there appears to be yet another firmware update available on top of the Dec one I already installed that enabled RID with all of the cell phone/GPS start up headaches.  I can't seem to find any info about it on the site and I'm hesitant to download it...given the hassles I now have from the Dec update.  Does anyone know what's in the newest update??  Maybe fixes to all the issues people are complaining about??  (Wishful thinking!!)

--Jeff

the January update for the goggles was primarily for the air unit updates.
2023-1-25
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

scoble08 Posted at 1-11 07:50
What cell phone adapter are you using?  Provide link if possible.

Thats a Palm PVG100, I found it on Ebay for $45,  they are all over the place in price though so keep an eye out.   The mount for it is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5862774
2023-2-18
Use props
djiuser_8qKFcONvJyXs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

dalethrip Posted at 2022-12-8 14:53
I was able to downgrade to the previous version on the DJI Assistant 2, both the Avata and the Goggles 2.  No more Remote ID error.

one thing we are missing without this firmware update is the fix for the Rapid Yaw causing tumble or washout. I saw a video of the fix, the drone brakes, hovers and in turn switches back to N mode. No crash.

I guess the remote ID is going to have to be dealt with sooner or later so I just bit the bullet and upgraded.

It is a major pain for sure,  
2023-2-18
Use props
djiuser_8qKFcONvJyXs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

DKGPST Posted at 2022-12-9 00:14
The FAA did drop the network-based Remote ID requirement, meaning UAS don't have to be connected to the Internet, but FAA didn't drop the requirement of broadcasting Remote controller location. DJI Goggle seems to only connect to the phone to get the GPS location and not the network.

Its goggles and controller are bound to the aircraft which has GPS - this is just lame that we have to provide GPS data when the flight controller knows where it is
2023-2-18
Use props
djiuser_0jUL0ve9wTU4
New

United States

dalethrip Posted at 2022-12-8 14:53
I was able to downgrade to the previous version on the DJI Assistant 2, both the Avata and the Goggles 2.  No more Remote ID error.

Hello, can you tell me the version you downgraded to?
Thanks
2023-3-20
Use props
ASwatzell23
lvl.1
Flight distance : 332940 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, this is stupid! This was one of the reasons I purchased the drone. I hate being tethered to a phone!
2023-3-23
Use props
dalethrip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3155161 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_0jUL0ve9wTU4 Posted at 3-20 09:05
Hello, can you tell me the version you downgraded to?
Thanks

Drone:  01.01.02.00
Goggles:  01.02.00.00
Remote:  02.00.04.00
2023-3-23
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1121519 ft
  • >>>
United States

First day with Avata.

If this isn't fixed soon my last day will be soon.  THe battery thing is bad enough, now the phone needs to be connected ... with a CABLE?  That is just .. lame.

DJI fix or you lose another customer.  

Sending back to B&H.  Geez.

2023-5-6
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules