19818 151 2022-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mizamook
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1121519 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've got my phone connected, with a known good cable, location services are on, DJI Fly has permission, and yet still getting RID error.  What gives?

I managed to reboot and get the motors on.  Flying in open area with GPS.  Not moving about or walking, and despite launch, and drone being in open area, suddenly Remote ID Error comes on.  My first flight.

Note:  If RID is on, and you soft crash in the mossy forest and motors stop, prepare for a short hike.  You can't restart the motors.
2023-5-6
Use props
Mizamook
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1121519 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just updating for correctitude:  Now, for some reason, it's not giving me the error.  Nothing I know of has changed.  Same phone, same account, same cable, same settings.  Now that I can fall back on it I've decided to try to use an old HTC phone that I can attach to the head strap. Tiny little thing, but if it works, will simplify this ... KLUDGE! by DJI, courtesy of the US knuckleheads who decided on the current form of RID.  

Get RID of RID.  Try again.  The concept is good; the implementation is lousy.
2023-5-6
Use props
ajinkyax
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11608 ft
India

Hi, thanks for this post.
Are there any downside for not upgrading firmware, i bought the drone today from eBay. It's Dec 2022 model.
2023-5-20
Use props
MikeDVB
lvl.1
United States

It would be great if I could connect my phone and have the screen off - but I have to keep the screen on for it to work.

Would be even better if there was some sort of module sold by DJI [or anyone, really] that plugged into the USB-C port and provided GPS to the googles and a pass-through USB-C port.

Ehhhh - annoying.
2023-8-13
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

MikeDVB Posted at 8-13 16:44
It would be great if I could connect my phone and have the screen off - but I have to keep the screen on for it to work.

Would be even better if there was some sort of module sold by DJI [or anyone, really] that plugged into the USB-C port and provided GPS to the googles and a pass-through USB-C port.

Thank you for your recommendations. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. In the future, we will optimize and improve the product or service based on user comments. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2023-8-13
Use props
BlakeHarrigan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 181371 ft
United States

DJI. Is there still no solution for this? Doesn’t the FPV have gps similar to the mini 3 pro to record home point?
Having two cords dangling from my goggles is a pain and hassle and only a matter of time before I crack my screen. Please come up with an alternative solution to compliance.
2023-8-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

BlakeHarrigan Posted at 8-23 18:57
DJI. Is there still no solution for this? Doesn’t the FPV have gps similar to the mini 3 pro to record home point?
Having two cords dangling from my goggles is a pain and hassle and only a matter of time before I crack my screen. Please come up with an alternative solution to compliance.

Hi there. We understand the inconvenience. The DJI FPV Goggles V2 does not have an integrated GNSS system, unlike the DJI-RC and Integra. To comply with the FAA regulations, we need to use the phone's GNSS capability. On the other hand, DJI has released new firmware for the Integra to be compatible with the FPV. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-24
Use props
Ranger7777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 152782 ft
United States

Just curiosity.  I do understand the need to connect the phone to the goggles v2 to satisfy remote ID.   The phone running DJI Fly would then be able to broadcast the RID info using BlueTooth or WiFi, so, pretty limited range.    I have also seen on several posts that once takeoff is achieved the phone can be disconnected.  Supposedly RID requires location of the drone and altitude.  If the phone is disconnected, how does this satisfy RID?
2023-8-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ranger7777 Posted at 8-24 06:40
Just curiosity.  I do understand the need to connect the phone to the goggles v2 to satisfy remote ID.   The phone running DJI Fly would then be able to broadcast the RID info using BlueTooth or WiFi, so, pretty limited range.    I have also seen on several posts that once takeoff is achieved the phone can be disconnected.  Supposedly RID requires location of the drone and altitude.  If the phone is disconnected, how does this satisfy RID?

I don't think you finished the sentence:  "I have also seen on several posts that once takeoff is achieved the phone can be disconnected...."  and what?  Think of it this way, you're flying and in the middle of flight, your battery dies.  The drone will keep flying but RID will no longer transmit details retrieved from your mobile phone.  Obviously RID is not "satisfied" but there's no requirement that I am aware of to stop flying when RID malfunctions.  Only applicable requirement is to work properly at launch time else stop the take-off.  Another requirement is prevent the flyer from turning RID on/off with a switch so maybe this is the issue.  FWIW, I do not see an approved FAA DoC for the DJI FPV.
2023-8-24
Use props
Ranger7777
lvl.3
United States

Yes, agree with everything you say.  The reason I asked is if you have a drone and are using an add on module for RID it would continuously transmit in flight providing the RID data.  That would also be the case with a drone having built in RID as long as it is powered.  Attended an On line FAA webinar last night that talked about RID and they were very clear that the intent of RID is to continuously provide this data to personnel such as FAA, Homeland security, local law enforcement and other government entities.  So, disconnecting the phone after takeoff no longer makes that data available.  I am not saying this is right or wrong, only what was stated in the webinar.
2023-8-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ranger7777 Posted at 8-24 08:13
Yes, agree with everything you say.  The reason I asked is if you have a drone and are using an add on module for RID it would continuously transmit in flight providing the RID data.  That would also be the case with a drone having built in RID as long as it is powered.  Attended an On line FAA webinar last night that talked about RID and they were very clear that the intent of RID is to continuously provide this data to personnel such as FAA, Homeland security, local law enforcement and other government entities.  So, disconnecting the phone after takeoff no longer makes that data available.  I am not saying this is right or wrong, only what was stated in the webinar.

Saw the same webinar and although it was weak.  Learned nothing new, mostly tuned it out because it was a waste of time.  However, later if I have some free time, I may go back and watch it just in case they said something new but doubt it.  Even though their survey indicated 80%+ audience knew all about RID, they pretended like everyone was new to the subject and basically repeated stuff we already knew.

The broadcast module has limitations and for sure, the battery will die while the drone is flying and drone will stop broadcasting.  FAA knows this but is ok with at least getting some data rather than none at all.  They hope one day there will no longer be a need to use the module and they will be happy when the day comes in which 90% of eligible drones have standard RID.  In the meantime, you can be sure you will be left out of important developments if you use a broadcast module such as flying over people or flying BVLOS.
2023-8-24
Use props
Ranger7777
lvl.3
United States

Wow, out of over 1000 people on that webinar I run into someone else that was watching it. Totally agree that there really was nothing new and rather weak.  
2023-8-24
Use props
Ranger7777
lvl.3
United States

And totally off topic, a Simon Templar fan???
2023-8-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ranger7777 Posted at 8-24 09:44
And totally off topic, a Simon Templar fan???

2023-8-25
Use props
djiuser_57rReNJsaKBw
lvl.1

United States

Same with my fpv
2023-8-26
Use props
djiuser_57rReNJsaKBw
lvl.1

United States

DronesJones Posted at 2022-12-8 20:05
OK Guys, I did some testing and I have an update... The Remote ID error, at least in Canada (probably the USA too), doesn't come on until you have a full GPS lock and the home point is set. I was able to turn it on and quickly take off without the phone connected and then hover until the home point was set and then continue flight. If you wait until it has a full GPS lock the "Remote ID Error" message appears it will NOT fly until you connect the phone. So it appears we can sort of work around this by taking off quickly before it can attain a full GPS lock, and then hovering until it gets a lock and sets the home point.

Thank you will try this
2023-8-29
Use props
fans06983f2d
New
United States

DronesJones Posted at 2022-12-8 18:45
I am in Canada and I am having the same problem here, can't take off without plugging in my phone... what a crock!

Yup, in the US as well, what a bunch of crap! Not sure it's the same with the FPV, as I have both, but share goggles and remote and just got the avata and bound it to the goggles and remote and needed the stupid phone connection to take off. I'm gonna switch back to the FPV tomorrow an see what happens. It's not the end of the world, just another device to have in your pocket and another cable and adapter to remember to bring, which blows!
2023-9-28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans06983f2d Posted at 9-28 16:25
Yup, in the US as well, what a bunch of crap! Not sure it's the same with the FPV, as I have both, but share goggles and remote and just got the avata and bound it to the goggles and remote and needed the stupid phone connection to take off. I'm gonna switch back to the FPV tomorrow an see what happens. It's not the end of the world, just another device to have in your pocket and another cable and adapter to remember to bring, which blows!

if you are not using goggles integra, you will need a phone connected.
2023-9-28
Use props
djiuser_W9fxxQIYwsKK
lvl.1

United States

2wheeledphotog Posted at 2022-12-8 16:09
Didn't actually get out and fly except in my living room, but I didn't seem to ever be able to disconnect my phone without the drone stopping. I was, however, able to roll back the drone and Goggles 2 firmware in DJI Assistant 2, thank god.

Would you be able to explain to me how you downgrade the firmware. I know it’s done through assistant 2 but do you need a computer to do so by like hooking your drone up while the apps open?
2023-10-27
Use props
djiuser_W9fxxQIYwsKK
lvl.1

United States

2wheeledphotog Posted at 2022-12-8 16:09
Didn't actually get out and fly except in my living room, but I didn't seem to ever be able to disconnect my phone without the drone stopping. I was, however, able to roll back the drone and Goggles 2 firmware in DJI Assistant 2, thank god.

Would you be able to explain to me how you downgrade the firmware. I know it’s done through assistant 2 but do you need a computer to do so by like hooking your drone up while the apps open?
2023-10-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_W9fxxQIYwsKK Posted at 10-27 09:17

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please confirm what specific DJI product you want to downgrade so we can check if this option is available on the said unit? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-11-14
Use props
Funn 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 168999 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yup Sucks....I Took my ProView combo back to Best Buy Saturday. I bought the explorer combo with the Integra goggles, they have GPS built-in.
2023-11-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Funn 1 Posted at 11-14 10:50
Yup Sucks....I Took my ProView combo back to Best Buy Saturday. I bought the explorer combo with the Integra goggles, they have GPS built-in.

Hi, Sorry about the trouble sending back your Pro View Combo. The Goggles 2 needs help from the phone as it does not have a GPS module unlike the Integra to comply with the remote ID regulation so it is required to connect the goggles to the phone. I hope you enjoy your new Avata with the convenience of using Integra. We appreciate your great support. Have a great day.
2023-11-14
Use props
dji_jake
lvl.1

United States

I just returned my new Avata with Goggles 2 on 1/10/24.  After receiving my purchases I did the activation and updates.  The first dissappointment was that the DJI Virtual Flight will not work with the Motion 2 controller so I would have to do all my learning on the aircraft.  So I tried to start the drone and found out that I could not start it.  The phone has to be connected due to Remote ID requirement.  The reason is that the  Goggles 2 has no GPS.  It took several calls and emails to figure this out because evidently DJI techs weren't up to date.  So I got the drone to start and take off.  They said I could unplug my phone after takeoff which worked, but then I had a big "Remote ID Error" message all the time.  You would have to connect your phone every time you change the battery.  Had I known all this before, I would have bought the Integra goggles which, they tell me, has GPS built in.  The last tech I spoke with indicated that DJI believes they have solved the Remote ID issue by having us keep our phones connected and they don't plan on doing anything further, like putting GPS in the Goggles 2.  I bought the Goggles 2 rather than the Integra because I wear glasses and Goggles 2 has the adjustable diopters while Integra does not.  As far as I know, DJI is still recommending the package with the Goggles 2 and doesn't have any warning to buyers that they'll need to keep their phone connected.  That was a deal breaker for me.  
1-15 09:06
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

dji_jake Posted at 1-15 09:06
I just returned my new Avata with Goggles 2 on 1/10/24.  After receiving my purchases I did the activation and updates.  The first dissappointment was that the DJI Virtual Flight will not work with the Motion 2 controller so I would have to do all my learning on the aircraft.  So I tried to start the drone and found out that I could not start it.  The phone has to be connected due to Remote ID requirement.  The reason is that the  Goggles 2 has no GPS.  It took several calls and emails to figure this out because evidently DJI techs weren't up to date.  So I got the drone to start and take off.  They said I could unplug my phone after takeoff which worked, but then I had a big "Remote ID Error" message all the time.  You would have to connect your phone every time you change the battery.  Had I known all this before, I would have bought the Integra goggles which, they tell me, has GPS built in.  The last tech I spoke with indicated that DJI believes they have solved the Remote ID issue by having us keep our phones connected and they don't plan on doing anything further, like putting GPS in the Goggles 2.  I bought the Goggles 2 rather than the Integra because I wear glasses and Goggles 2 has the adjustable diopters while Integra does not.  As far as I know, DJI is still recommending the package with the Goggles 2 and doesn't have any warning to buyers that they'll need to keep their phone connected.  That was a deal breaker for me.

Hi, there. We're sorry to hear about your feedback. Yes, indeed. The mobile device is necessary when using the DJI Goggles 2 for RID compliant. A remote ID error prompts when the mobile device is disconnected after taking off. Again, we truly apologize if these matters have disappointed you. Rest assured that we'll keep striving to provide a better customer experience with our future products. Should you have further concerns, kindly don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your support.
1-20 02:08
Use props
Madaia
lvl.1

United States

Yes I'm having the same problem!!
3-3 21:46
Use props
Madaia
lvl.1

United States

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Stone-Compliant-Identification-Regulation/dp/B0CGTTNJXL/ref=sr_1_2?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.j_QmFlZhFSncXaX5EQvsM9mXGKM67-fOKWv4tcnj4d8FAsxQu2ammp6ODoR1kfKRWNIeNfN6UwK84kFaiPnoemwwf0p5yxrOuyqeGPeP3ONMHCnxO4qw6han1HRhNHrSRvMng5ceb7Ikw87T0jy6NF7G5NWyI_p-A16Al1z636dgL3-akwAtFaVR837DSsZQ908P0v78kMrVNeiJgBV9FK_FONCOgYkTHLrFRxR54UldCEaOXfpYe2MCqnonIcUN9UzN66j7tcHpNzpXclHxKmrvGMsBrBihpQ6XVwJri8A.9bhGZmZgxTC8yP8YvbPCTjFpp8NivMjuwAgQKJ0eHk4&dib_tag=se&keywords=drone+airdrop+system&qid=1709530909&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1
3-3 21:47
Use props
Madaia
lvl.1

United States

Starting from September 16, 2023, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will require all drones to have Standard Remote ID (built-in) or a Remote ID broadcast module (retrofitted) to enhance safety and security in the airspace.0 DJI has produced drones that meet the requirements for Remote ID, including affixing RID-compliant labels to the drone before leaving the factory.1 Existing DJI drones are not required to comply with FAA Remote ID regulations until September 16, 2023, and DJI will provide firmware updates before that date to bring most modern DJI drones into compliance.2 However, many popular DJI drone models will not have Standard Remote ID built-in. If your DJI drone is among the non-compliant models listed above, you cannot fly it in areas where Remote ID is required without a broadcast module, and failing to comply with the regulations may result in revocation of your license.
3-3 21:49
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Madaia Posted at 3-3 21:46
Yes I'm having the same problem!!

Hello, DJI Avata now supports the Remote ID function in the US. For DJI Avata, before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone to the goggles, please make sure the firmware version and app version have been updated to the latest. For mobile devices, it should allow the DJI Fly to obtain the location information and also needs to ensure that the DJI Fly app runs in the foreground. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off (DJI Goggles Integra does not need to connect to a mobile device as it has an internal GPS module). Please connect it before using the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.
3-3 22:11
Use props
Jimmy T
lvl.1
Flight distance : 130712 ft
United States

Me too. I tried flying my DJI FPV after updating new firmware last night 3/16/2024 and now I have to plug the goggles V2 into my phone with DJI Fly app turned on or I get an error "Remote ID Error".  Before this update I flew 25 times with only my googles V2.  They also limit the altitude depending on your location.
3-16 14:59
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy T Posted at 3-16 14:59
Me too. I tried flying my DJI FPV after updating new firmware last night 3/16/2024 and now I have to plug the goggles V2 into my phone with DJI Fly app turned on or I get an error "Remote ID Error".  Before this update I flew 25 times with only my googles V2.  They also limit the altitude depending on your location.

pesky laws, eh?
3-16 18:24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Jimmy T Posted at 3-16 14:59
Me too. I tried flying my DJI FPV after updating new firmware last night 3/16/2024 and now I have to plug the goggles V2 into my phone with DJI Fly app turned on or I get an error "Remote ID Error".  Before this update I flew 25 times with only my googles V2.  They also limit the altitude depending on your location.

Hi, Jimmy. Thank you for reaching out. As the Goggles V2 does not have a built-in GPS module, a mobile phone is required for positioning information upload. This will help to comply with the Remote ID regulation
There will also be a height limit and distance limit on your DJI FPV/DJI Avata drone in any of the following situations:
1. When in a no-fly zone, the aircraft is unable to take off. When in a restricted zone, the aircraft has an altitude limit but no distance limit.
2. The aircraft is not connected to the goggles, causing a failure to take off. (Note: For an older firmware version, if the aircraft is not connected to the goggles, the flight altitude is limited to 30 m, and the distance is limited to 50 m.)
3. There is no GPS signal, or the GPS signal is poor. (The flight altitude is limited to 30 meters)
4.  The aircraft is not connected to the goggles, thus failing to take off.
We appreciate your understanding and patience.
3-17 00:03
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules