Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Safest way to land (for a newbie)
1808 14 2015-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nic6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1165 ft
United Kingdom

I have flown my Phantom 3 Professional 3 times and on each occasion on landing it has tilted and rolled over.
A few propellers have been scrapped but no damage to the camera or shell, probably because the landing was on soft damp and spongy grass.

My question is what is the safest way to land without having the Phantom tipping over every time?

Even on the DJi YouTube channel they don't show the guy landing it, they just show the Phantom taking off and reverse the film for the landing.

Take a look at around the 9th minute of the video --->

Incidentally I don't really fancy trying to catch it in mid-air because I don't want my fingers chopped.  
2015-8-15
Use props
Skater67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 417149 ft

Colombia

Just for safety suggest you inspect your props for any damage or wear, especially the threads, and replace them if necessary.  I would probably replace the props if they hit the ground during a tip-over landing.

Practice makes perfect and a smooth control touch.  I have no magic when it comes to landings other then fly to a low, stabilized, hover and reduce the throttle slowly.  A level surface is a must until you have a lot of experience and practice landing on a slope.  Have fun with your DJI.
2015-8-15
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

I always catch mine, catch it in my right hand and shut down with left thumb holding throttle (left stick) down to center for a few seconds till it shuts down, never fails and never crashes, just take your time, dont rush it, and you'll be fine.
2015-8-15
Use props
kiwichrish
lvl.3

New Zealand

If it's tilting to the side it sounds like you're using both sticks to turn off the motors?

If you just pull the left stick all the way down and hold it the motors will turn off without tipping...
2015-8-15
Use props
DaveH
lvl.1

United Kingdom

As above. Manual landing requires the craft to be bought down close to the ground, hover for a bit, then gently pull down on the left stick until it touches down. To stop the motors, pull the left stick all the way down until the motors switch off. I've tried the auto land but found it to be a harder landing than under manual control. Practice makes perfect, and also reduces stress. There's nothing worse than worrying about landing the craft after a successful flight. This is the easiest bird I've ever had to land, so relax and have fun.
2015-8-15
Use props
Nic6
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks chaps for the advise, I think I will try the catching method after all, keeping the Phantom above my head then grabbing it, what can go wrong?
2015-8-15
Use props
BuyDji.ca
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

buzzcbr@gmail.c Posted at 2015-8-15 19:16
I always catch mine, catch it in my right hand and shut down with left thumb holding throttle (left  ...

Same here.

I'm very careful, but not a single landing until now and not a single blade lost.
2015-8-15
Use props
BuyDji.ca
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411801 ft
Canada

Nic6 Posted at 2015-8-15 20:16
Thanks chaps for the advise, I think I will try the catching method after all, keeping the Phantom a ...

You can hurt your hand if you touch the blades running.

It is easy to catch but be very careful.

2015-8-15
Use props
Total
lvl.4
Flight distance : 336480 ft
Canada

Use the left throttle method , slowly lower the p3 until you touch the ground then continue to hold the left throttle down , until the motors shut off .... 52 landings / flights no crashes ....
2015-8-15
Use props
dorius_23
lvl.2
Flight distance : 118766 ft
Switzerland

I find it very easy to land it manually, just pulling the left stick down. Even in windy conditions (in GPS mode) it's quite easy. Never tipped over. If the surface is sandy/dusty I might ask someone else to catch to avoid dirt being blown into the gimbal/craft.
2015-8-15
Use props
usman.ahmad72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 43720 ft
Pakistan

Do use prop guards, they'll be very handy while grab landing or when it tips on landing. I had these on my P1.1.1 and on my 1st flight day of Phantom (I was a newbie) at just 3rd time landing I grab landed it. 4th landing was made on a card board box smaller than Phantom's box.
What I did was slowly lower throttle stick until it lowers as desired then releasing stick to keep hovering at my required altitude couple of feet away and then step forward & grab it then fully down the throttle till props stop.
Similarly I lowered it few inches above ground then release throttle to hover, make adjustments to horizontal positions then slowly lower more until it lands. Only time when it tipped after landing was in an uneven agriculture land, props saved by prop guards.
2015-8-15
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

Nic6 Posted at 2015-8-15 20:16
Thanks chaps for the advise, I think I will try the catching method after all, keeping the Phantom a ...

"what can go wrong?"   LOL  famous last words!  
2015-8-15
Use props
Nic6
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Landed successfully on a small piece of wood, 2 feet by 2 feet.
Instead of returning to home when I'm low on battery power I gave myself plenty of time, kiwichrish thanks for your advise I was making a schoolboy error and touching both sticks on landing, that's what was making it tip over.

Thanks everyone for your tips, good advise from a great forum.  
2015-8-15
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

I will remind people of this thread already posted showing a young man who tried to "catch" his Phantom 3 drone.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-23076-1-1.html

If you like bloody cuts, stiches and scars... go right ahead and catch your drone.

2015-8-15
Use props
Phantom Help
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's perfectly safe to catch your Phantom if you do it exactly like this:

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)
2015-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules