2318 15 2022-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI RC v01.02.0200 Adds offline map support.  So pleased to see this.

IMG_7040.jpg
2022-12-9
Use props
RobZilla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree, can't wait to try this out. As soon as you click Profile from the starting screen, you'll see Offline maps as a new option. You should see a world map, then you need to zoom into an area where you want that selection can be downloaded and named. It appears the downloaded area files can be upto 2-3Mb in size.

I'll have to remember to not turn on WiFi hotspot so that I can truly test offline maps. Just waiting for the rain to stop to go fly.
2022-12-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobZilla Posted at 12-9 06:51
I agree, can't wait to try this out. As soon as you click Profile from the starting screen, you'll see Offline maps as a new option. You should see a world map, then you need to zoom into an area where you want that selection can be downloaded and named. It appears the downloaded area files can be upto 2-3Mb in size.

I'll have to remember to not turn on WiFi hotspot so that I can truly test offline maps. Just waiting for the rain to stop to go fly.

I get annoyed with the hotspot as every take off it disables wifi.
2022-12-9
Use props
RobZilla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 12-9 07:00
I get annoyed with the hotspot as every take off it disables wifi.

Agree 100%. I know you can enable it again once in flight, but I forget sometimes. The only reason I did the hotspot was the maps but now with the new offline maps feature, we should not have to. Hoping to see how well this works out.
2022-12-9
Use props
Niknik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1595640 ft
  • >>>
Greece

it does not clear the satellite map but You have all the time saved maps without the need of internet.
2022-12-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Niknik Posted at 12-9 07:19
it does not clear the satellite map but You have all the time saved maps without the need of internet.

Nice,  I hope the dont expire too quickly.
2022-12-9
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-9 08:10
Excellent.  I wish they would allow us to disable automatically turning off WiFi & Bluetooth on liftoff.  I turn them back on & honestly see no difference in range.

Same here in CE mode.  No difference between on or off.  
2022-12-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Agree 100%.  That was needed.  
2022-12-9
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 12-9 08:10
Excellent.  I wish they would allow us to disable automatically turning off WiFi & Bluetooth on liftoff.  I turn them back on & honestly see no difference in range.

+1.  This would be a most welcome addition.  I'm also not seeing any range differences as I turn wifi back on soon after take-off.  

Hopefully, DJI will see this as an easy fix and implement it in the next FW update.  
2022-12-9
Use props
djiuser_zUq3hwimLWcQ
New
United States

Just unpacked and setup my Mini Pro 3 RC and was quite frustrated with the no map issue. Had tried all the tricks I could find online to no avail. Thought my firmware was up to date since it updated a few times initially. However, finally saw this post and checked my firmware version and sure enough I didn't have this most recent one. Updated and now my RC maps work just fine!!!
2022-12-9
Use props
djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6708350 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, my experience with offline maps is that you can only download maps in approx 3MB sections, which are only several square miles; in addition, the number of such maps you can download as a maximum is approx 80MB or 25 such maps, despite having 20GB available on my sd card.
Whereas, by zooming in on maps while connected to Wi-Fi and using the cache to remember the maps means you get much more area and the map is saved on the RC (obviously, providing you don’t delete the RC cache).
I personally can’t see the benefit of offline maps over caching the areas of the map, especially when you can only really download a city size of maps!
I would appreciate some advice from dji to confirm what the benefits are?
2022-12-10
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG Posted at 12-10 14:22
Hi, my experience with offline maps is that you can only download maps in approx 3MB sections, which are only several square miles; in addition, the number of such maps you can download as a maximum is approx 80MB or 25 such maps, despite having 20GB available on my sd card.
Whereas, by zooming in on maps while connected to Wi-Fi and using the cache to remember the maps means you get much more area and the map is saved on the RC (obviously, providing you don’t delete the RC cache).
I personally can’t see the benefit of offline maps over caching the areas of the map, especially when you can only really download a city size of maps!

Agreed,  it's not living up to the hype,   I hope they can improve on this.  
2022-12-11
Use props
nOxxxx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80646017 ft
Poland

It would be more useful to cache offline satellite maps, and there is no such thing.
2022-12-11
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nOxxxx Posted at 12-11 13:15
It would be more useful to cache offline satellite maps, and there is no such thing.

Yes,  that would be very nice to have.  
2022-12-12
Use props
FabioV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 961437 ft
Italy

djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG Posted at 12-10 14:22
Hi, my experience with offline maps is that you can only download maps in approx 3MB sections, which are only several square miles; in addition, the number of such maps you can download as a maximum is approx 80MB or 25 such maps, despite having 20GB available on my sd card.
Whereas, by zooming in on maps while connected to Wi-Fi and using the cache to remember the maps means you get much more area and the map is saved on the RC (obviously, providing you don’t delete the RC cache).
I personally can’t see the benefit of offline maps over caching the areas of the map, especially when you can only really download a city size of maps!

I totally agree. I cannot see any advantage over navigating maps and caching them, as I always do. In that way also the satellite maps are cached.
2022-12-13
Use props
djiuser_D0Cl2Z3viHeJ
lvl.1

United States

2 to 3mb of map size?
I was actually able to download a huge section of the map. From entire sacramento county to San Francisco.
2023-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules