DJI Virtual Flight vs simulators. What's the most close to reality?
4136 4 2022-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paulc85
lvl.1
Italy

Hello everybody,

I hope you all feel great!

I'm making some practice in M mode both on DJI Virtual Flight App (for android) and other simulators (for pc\Windows).
Due to I still don't feel confident to try M mode in real life, I'm trying to understand which simulators is the closest to a real flight.

What do you think? What is your experience about this point?

For what concern to me:
- DJI Virtual Flight app is good but when I lift off the drone goes up too quickly. At the same time when I 'stabilize' it, the 'cruise speed' looks too slow (15/16 m/s)
- LIFTOFF DJI FPV extension is good but too reactive in some cases (left stick movements), while in others there is a moderate latency (right stick movements). On the other hand 'cruise speed' looks good
- FPV.SKYDIVE is the one that gives me the best feeling for all the above points
But the question is: which of the 3 (or maybe others if there is something better) is the most close to a real flight with an AVATA?

Thanks guys!

P

P.S: I hope this topic won't violate this forum rules: it is not for any commercial purpose but just to understand other pilot feelings and thoughts. Otherwise sorry for this.

2022-12-9
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

I've never used FPV Skydive but what i have used to practice flying full manual is DRL Simulator, Liftoff, TRYP FPV and a little bit of the DJI Virtual Flight App just to see how the Avata feels on the sim. but unfortunately, None of the simulators really felt like the actual drone.  All the simulators feels very light and responsive where the Avata feels significantly heavier and drifts a lot more.

There are some Custom drones in DRL Sim and Liftoff that you could download and it could "simulate" the Avata, and so far DRL Sim i would say has the closest feel imo. its not the exact same but its somewhat close. You can also customize the drone yourself to get it as close to irl as possible. but thats just too much work just to fly a sim.

The simulator will only help you get the basics and fundamentals of flying in full manual, and incorporate that to flying irl. Nothing beats actual practice. But definitely fly in simulators first to get more familiar and comfortable. You also have to consider weather when flying irl, it will significantly change the way you fly the drone since the Avata is very sensitive to wind due to how heavy the Avata is and not enough lift to really counteract the wind because of how the drone is built. (cinewhoop style).  And simulators does not simulate weather effects. At least not the ones that i use.

Also, heres a tip when flying manual, looks up "Rates" and this will help you fly smoother or more aggressive depending on how you want your style to be. Rates determines how fast your drone Pitch, Roll and Yaw when moving your control stick. All these simulators have those settings and you should definitely try and experiment with it (and some have more advanced settings called "PID Tuning" which DJI Drones do not have). And change your "Camera Angle" this will also change the way you fly depending on how steep it is. find what youre comfortable with and practice.
My personal setting for the avata is 15 or 25 degree camera angle depending on how i want it to fly. with a max rate of 530 for Pitch and Roll and 600 for Yaw. (I also fly custom 5inch quads/freestyle drones and i have different settings for those)

My tip would be when flying IRL with the Avata, practice in Angle Mode first (Manual mode but with limited Pitch and Roll range to prevent you from flipping the drone)

But once you get the fundamentals down, know how the drone reacts to your controlls, you can go ahead and set it Full Manual mode and you'll be flying smooth as if youre flying on GPS mode with added benefites of full roll and pitch control.

Have fun flyin!
2022-12-10
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

I can tell you that in my opinion, the DJI flight simulator is not even close to real flying. It's more like playing a game and does not fly like the Avata. In my opinion, Velocidrone is the best simulator. I've tried almost all of them and while they are all good, Velocidrone seems to fly more like a drone than any of them.
2022-12-10
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18832116 ft
  • >>>
United States

I concur,  none will fell the same as the real thing, the point is to just hone your stick movements.
2022-12-10
Use props
paulc85
lvl.1
Italy

fans17c4995b Posted at 12-10 09:35
I concur,  none will fell the same as the real thing, the point is to just hone your stick movements.

Thanks! I think the same
2022-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules