10057 65 2022-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nerdworld
lvl.4
Flight distance : 645144 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Is there any reason, why the downloadable map size (the size of the rectangle) isn't changeable? This way i need to download four squares just to fit my tiny hometown.
This also makes it completly useless for travelling, since you would need to download dozens of squares of all your possible flying areas.

2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Because if you have to download a 1000km2 tile for your tiny hometown you would find it useless too.
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 08:18
Because if you have to download a 1000km2 tile for your tiny hometown you would find it useless too.

Okay - let me try to explain it in another way: why is the maximum square / map size i can download (on my 32 GB memory card) only around 3 MB?
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

What surface represent this 3MB ?
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 09:01
What surface represent this 3MB ?

???

You can not resize the selected area. No matter how much you zoom in or out, the rectangle stays this small (~2 to 4 MB in size).
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

The MB weight means nothing. From your screenshot it look like the rectangle is quite large
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 11:59
The MB weight means nothing. From your screenshot it look like the rectangle is quite large

The MB says a lot. The space on my memory card is 32 GB and it makes no sense to me to the save the map data in such small chunks.

The Offline Maps on my phone for example (Android / Google Maps) are between 60 and 600 MB - including Satellite view tho. But I can easily select my whole hometown without splitting it into 4 to 6 parts.
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Nerdworld Posted at 12-10 12:38
The MB says a lot. The space on my memory card is 32 GB and it makes no sense to me to the save the map data in such small chunks.

The Offline Maps on my phone for example (Android / Google Maps) are between 60 and 600 MB - including Satellite view tho. But I can easily select my whole hometown without splitting it into 4 to 6 parts.

Well it is an axis of improvement to propose to DJI that the user can resize the area at convenience.

But you know, I have the feeling that DJI is doing everything to limit the use of its consumer drones to VLOS. If you can download larger areas, by definition it is to fly further. In the future, certain drone models may be banned from sale for reasons of incitement to break the rules.
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 13:32
Well it is an axis of improvement to propose to DJI that the user can resize the area at convenience.

But you know, I have the feeling that DJI is doing everything to limit the use of its consumer drones to VLOS. If you can download larger areas, by definition it is to fly further. In the future, certain drone models may be banned from sale for reasons of incitement to break the rules.

By defintion?! Really? It would take me ages to save all the (legal) flyspots in my area this way.

This makes absolutly zero sense. If I want to fly without VLOS (which is still legal in some countrys) i can either use the video stream or use the regular, online map feature by using my phones wifi.

Making the experience worse for regular users to avoid people flying out of VLOS is a hilarious idea. This is either a bug or a badly planned feature.

Same discussion here btw: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=280902
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Nerdworld Posted at 12-10 13:48
By defintion?! Really? It would take me ages to save all the (legal) flyspots in my area this way.

This makes absolutly zero sense. If I want to fly without VLOS (which is still legal in some countrys) i can either use the video stream or use the regular, online map feature by using my phones wifi.

By the way, explain to us why you need the maps? I never use this to shoot with a small drone. I'm curious to know, maybe I'm missing something.
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Nerdworld Posted at 12-10 13:48

This makes absolutly zero sense. If I want to fly without VLOS (which is still legal in some countrys) i can either use the video stream or use the regular, online map feature by using my phones wifi.

According to the #4 of the thread you mentionned, you should be able to download bigger map
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 13:53
According to the #4 of the thread you mentionned, you should be able to download bigger map

Keep on reading until #5, where another user explains, that the rectangle doesn't get bigger when you zoom out.
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Nerdworld Posted at 12-10 13:54
Keep on reading until #5, where another user explains, that the rectangle doesn't get bigger when you zoom out.

What is your final objective? have a larger rectangle? Or a larger map?
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 13:52
By the way, explain to us why you need the maps? I never use this to shoot with a small drone. I'm curious to know, maybe I'm missing something.

I don't "necessarily" need them on all my flights, but it's sometimes a nice feature (for example when you want to take multiple shots on the exact same location on different times).

I also use the map sometimes to have a better orientation and to have a better track of distances to buildings, rivers and other critical stuff.

Of course i could connect to my phones wifi everytime, but it's annoying and im lazy - that's why i would love the feature (like many other people) to save offline maps.
2022-12-10
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 13:56
What is your final objective? have a larger rectangle? Or a larger map?

Look at the screenshot i posted earlier. Everything inside the small rectangle is saved (a small area, approx 4 km²).

I want to save a larger area at once (for example the whole district im usually flying in).
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Nerdworld Posted at 12-10 13:57
I don't "necessarily" need them on all my flights, but it's sometimes a nice feature (for example when you want to take multiple shots on the exact same location on different times).

I also use the map sometimes to have a better orientation and to have a better track of distances to buildings, rivers and other critical stuff.

Makes sense, thanks for your feedback
2022-12-10
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Nerdworld Posted at 12-10 13:59
Look at the screenshot i posted earlier. Everything inside the small rectangle is saved (a small area, approx 4 km²).

I want to save a larger area at once (for example the whole district im usually flying in).

Yes i saw what you wrote.
But please, read the #4 "You can zoom out the map and download a bigger location."

I just tried it, it's not intuitive at all, but what #4 wrote is true and it works !Just zoom out to the area you want and click download. Do not pay attention to the Mb it is oubviously false.

I download the whole Riga city in one click :

JSON DJIFLY.JPG

It create 223 tiles representing the city with zoom level from 1 to 17

DJIFLY.JPG

Note that in your phone, DJI Fly is saved as DJI GO v5.

2022-12-10
Use props
djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6708350 ft
United Kingdom

But you cannot download a significant grid of maps because when you get to approx 80MB or 25 areas you reach the server capacity limit and you can’t download any more!
It’s a useless feature for me, unless someone can explain?
I too was exited about offline maps but now understanding the apparent limitations it’s of no real use, unless you download the maps for each and every flight, which is really inconvenient, as you need to delete previous maps to make space; even though there’s 20GB available on my sd card!
2022-12-11
Use props
djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG
lvl.2
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-10 14:53
But please, read the #4 "You can zoom out the map and download a bigger location."

[Image]

Sorry, I’m not that tech minded, but are you sure these are offline maps and not cached maps?
I just downloaded a map but couldn’t find it in the tiles, which contained a lot of maps I had previously cached?
Cheers, Dave.
2022-12-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG Posted at 12-11 04:51
Sorry, I’m not that tech minded, but are you sure these are offline maps and not cached maps?
I just downloaded a map but couldn’t find it in the tiles, which contained a lot of maps I had previously cached?
Cheers, Dave.

100% sure. I install the app on a phone which never received dji Fly and the only things i did is to download map for offline use.
I don't see any limitations. The word "useless" is in my opinion not appropriate. Maybe the drone you use is not suitable for your needs. This sounds more appropriate.
2022-12-11
Use props
djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG
lvl.2
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-11 05:11
100% sure. I install the app on a phone which never received dji Fly and the only things i did is to download map for offline use.
I don't see any limitations. The word "useless" is in my opinion not appropriate. Maybe the drone you use is not suitable for your needs. This sounds more appropriate.

I’m talking about the RC not a phone, maybe it’s different?

The limitations are you can only download several square miles at a time, and a max of 80MB, as has been discussed above.

I don’t understand your comments about the type of drone and my needs? But thanks for your concern anyway.
2022-12-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG Posted at 12-11 07:28
I’m talking about the RC not a phone, maybe it’s different?

The limitations are you can only download several square miles at a time, and a max of 80MB, as has been discussed above.

I don't have the RC with the built-in screen, but I assume the android APK is the same so what I tested on my phone is potentially valid on RC. Maybe not !

About the drone and your needs, I mainly use DJI Pilot 2 with an M300. There's no problem downloading huge maps (at least regionally, I haven't tried any further), and making them available offline. Maybe that's what you need.

Because if I understand correctly, this faulty function makes your drone "useless".

Update : I just launched the download of the offline map of the whole country, at first sight no restriction of file volume out of storage space available on the device. You really need DJI Pilot 2, it's fantastic!
2022-12-11
Use props
djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi,

No you’ve obviously misunderstood me, the offline map issue doesn’t make my drone useless at all, far from it, it’s fantastic.

It’s just the offline map facility seems of no benefit; I’ll continue to use the cached maps, which I have found to work fine for me.

Thanks for the tip, I’ll look into DJI Pilot and see if it works for me.

Cheers, Dave.
2022-12-11
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG Posted at 12-11 08:23
Hi,

No you’ve obviously misunderstood me, the offline map issue doesn’t make my drone useless at all, far from it, it’s fantastic.

Perfect. Problem solved

Have a nice day
2022-12-11
Use props
Nerdworld
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_scUSYj26Y9MG Posted at 12-11 08:23
Hi,

Basically the same for me - except that i most of the time doesn't use the map at all - because i'm too lazy to connect my phone.

I hope they might fix this in the future tho.
2022-12-11
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Nerdworld. Thank you for reaching out. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.
2022-12-12
Use props
djiuser_wHy708CGkpRQ
lvl.1
United States

I agree with Nerdworld user. The main idea behind the maps should be to download maps at any size that I want. I have 256 GB memory and I want to download entire US state or a few counties so I don't have to think about it anymore, especially when 4/5G cell access may be spotty in rural areas. The same way as I do in Google maps with offline feature. It especially applies if you want to travel to different countries and you don't know what actual cell access you will get.
Please fix this newly added map feature because as it is now it's completely unusable.
2022-12-12
Use props
djiuser_pWkzUCMvjm9A
New
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-12 04:39
Hi, Nerdworld. Thank you for reaching out. I will forward these information to the designated DJI department for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of the DJI Engineers. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.

Hi Gamora,
Hi all

I have since yesterday the Mini 3 (with the screen remote control) new and also wanted to download maps. But, apart from the fact that it is really cumbersome to save these small 3mb rectangles.... it is not downloaded at all the selected map sections, but substantially shifted and again smaller. where is the error??

Benny
2022-12-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, djiuser_pWkzUCMvjm9A. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. When the DJI RC’s built-in DJI Fly app is connected to the network, tap the bottom-left map on the app screen, drag it to the subject position, and enlarge the map. When the map details are loaded, the map-cache will be completed in the backend. At this point, the loaded cache map can be used even if the network is disconnected. We hope this helps, thank you for your support.
2022-12-18
Use props
djiuser_gbaUOgjZRrYO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50049 ft
Australia

I’m also facing the same issue with downloading lots of rectangles to cover an island I’m going to. This seams very clumsy by Dji.
2023-1-3
Use props
djiuser_gbaUOgjZRrYO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50049 ft
Australia

I have tried the interactive Sat map collection via the fly app.there is no improved on the small rectangles (potentially a larger are at poof resolution)? The rectangle size needs to be reviewed Dji. I wish to maintain the same or better resolution of the image over a larger rectangular area. The image size being collected in <=3.4mb. This is tinny in the scheme of things in my RC Controller Dji. You have more work to do on this update thx Dji. The above is not good enough for off-line maps where I operate in remote locations without cell coverage
0F14643E-62F6-4683-ABBD-02778F8F09C7.jpeg
2023-1-3
Use props
djiuser_tZ8vksrfiggd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251145 ft
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2022-12-11 07:44
I don't have the RC with the built-in screen, but I assume the android APK is the same so what I tested on my phone is potentially valid on RC. Maybe not !

About the drone and your needs, I mainly use DJI Pilot 2 with an M300. There's no problem downloading huge maps (at least regionally, I haven't tried any further), and making them available offline. Maybe that's what you need.

OMG, you were not in this conversation from beginning...

In the phone app, regardless in Android or iPhone, DJI Fly app will use your mobile network to cache the map or directly use your map app to navigate the drone. However, in the DJI RC, it would not load any map until you share hotspot with it. Which means, the limitation to download a bigger map would be a downgrade to use with DJI RC. Because every offline map is around 4x3km? Just imagine, if you are travelling in wild national park which is 100km x 100km, you probably need to download over 800 times. Do you think that's something human being needs to do?
2023-1-6
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

djiuser_tZ8vksrfiggd Posted at 1-6 13:38
OMG, you were not in this conversation from beginning...

In the phone app, regardless in Android or iPhone, DJI Fly app will use your mobile network to cache the map or directly use your map app to navigate the drone. However, in the DJI RC, it would not load any map until you share hotspot with it. Which means, the limitation to download a bigger map would be a downgrade to use with DJI RC. Because every offline map is around 4x3km? Just imagine, if you are travelling in wild national park which is 100km x 100km, you probably need to download over 800 times. Do you think that's something human being needs to do?

OMG !
2023-1-7
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hi there,

I agree with you.
Maybe DJI will implement a better map management (soon). I am using OSM with plugins on my DJI RC Plus to have offline maps.

Also I noticed that when connected to the internet DJI Pilot 2 will download, ignoring the cached maps.

Using OSM in flight it is not comfortable, but I am saving battery and data volume.
2023-1-7
Use props
Bielec
lvl.1

Canada

LV_Forestry Posted at 2022-12-10 13:32

Well, we don't treat people like potential criminals in Canada. There are many reasons why I would like to save a larger map, even though I am flying in VLOS range only. One, when the drone is in the trace mode. I cannot imagine having to change the saved map, while I am filming from a moving boat or vehicle (that somebody else is driving). Another reason - and this happens quite often - when the drone loses connection with the controller or flies away. I would like to see where it is and what it is doing, when it flies out of range to confilrm whether or not it switched to RTH mode and is coming back. Or, where should I go to approach it and restore connection or to find it. Quite reasonable expectation, don't you think? It would add safety to the whole operation. Besides, I don't understand why DJI wants to know where I am physically at the moment, when I am flying my drone in Canada. I am not in China and I am responsible to Canadian authorities, not to DJI. The drone does not allow me to activate the map feature, unless I agree that my location is transmitted to DJI in China. Why, what's the purpose of it? Again, we respect privacy laws in Canada and Chinese corporation has no business spying on me here. I am not a Chinese citizen.
2023-1-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what i have just seen, it doesn't even cover the whole of that small rectangle either, ive just done a wee test on the city of Norwich, as you can see, it only saved this tiny square...
Oh and before you ask, i was zoomed out to the whole of Norfolk just to see what would happen...
This would be poop even for CE distance over a city lol

2023-1-7
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 2022-12-10 14:53

This is isnt on the DJI RC and it looks like your replies have been based on your phone or tablet, not the DJI RC of which the OP was referring to as per the screenshot of the tiny rectangle in the middle
2023-1-7
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Bashy Posted at 1-7 23:17
This is isnt on the DJI RC and it looks like your replies have been based on your phone or tablet, not the DJI RC of which the OP was referring to as per the screenshot of the tiny rectangle in the middle

You are forgiven. I also often answer without reading everything. Especially when there are too many lines and no text formatting.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 953&pid=2925208

2023-1-8
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-8 00:31
You are forgiven. I also often answer without reading everything. Especially when there are too many lines and no text formatting.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=280953&pid=2925208

My reply still stands, we cant install apps on the DJI RC either ;)
2023-1-8
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Bashy Posted at 1-8 05:01
My reply still stands, we cant install apps on the DJI RC either ;)

Hi Bashy,

is android running on your device?
I can install apps on the DJI RC Plus to use them together with DJI pilot 2.
2023-1-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules