Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Blade Misalignment normal?
1592 23 2022-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pandaman888
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Just got a new DJI Mini 2 delivered and in my first flight I noticed the rear right blade set seems to more misaligned to the horizontal plane compared to the other 3 blade sets.  

The two front sets appear to be pretty much horizontal, the rear left has a very slight offset but the rear right is more misaligned.  

I've attached a photo which hopefully shows you what I mean.

The drone flys without any problems and I've already replaced that pair with spare blades and the angle is still there.

Is this something to be concerned about?

1.jpg
2022-12-13
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629482 ft
United States

Wow! That looks weird. I had to go and check mine. Since that right rear leg swivels up into position, are you absolutely sure that there isn't something stuck between the leg and the body??
2022-12-13
Use props
pandaman888
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ssayer Posted at 12-13 10:49
Wow! That looks weird. I had to go and check mine. Since that right rear leg swivels up into position, are you absolutely sure that there isn't something stuck between the leg and the body??

Yip, double and triple checked.  Its been folded up and opened up a few times and its the same.  

Turning the motor free hand is no different than the other 3.

I'm just wondering if there is any performance loss having it like this.
2022-12-13
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

Heh, wouldn't matter to me one bit. If I got a brand new one and there really was a defect like you've illustrated, it would be on the way back pronto for an exchange. That's me though...
2022-12-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Perfectly normal, they are designed that way. You should see some of the other models.
In my opinion it is a factor in having control over drone YAW, the direction of the thrust of each prop is canted away from the vertical and thus has a horizontal component that wants to yaw the drone. Other folks think yaw control is through torque reactions of the motor, I think both the lean and torque reaction act to provide YAW control.
2022-12-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

All four motors are slightly offset from the vertical, you just can't see that in the photo.
DJI drones have been this way for many years now.
It's by design and eliminates the potential to enter a vortex ring state.
That means you can descend with safety.
2022-12-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-13 12:23
Perfectly normal, they are designed that way. You should see some of the other models.
In my opinion it is a factor in having control over drone YAW, the direction of the thrust of each prop is canted away from the vertical and thus has a horizontal component that wants to yaw the drone. Other folks think yaw control is through torque reactions of the motor, I think both the lean and torque reaction act to provide YAW control.

In my opinion it is a factor in having control over drone YAW
DJI drones before the Phantom 3 had motors aligned vertically and had no problem with yaw.
But they did have a potential problem with vertical descent.
2022-12-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-13 13:21
In my opinion it is a factor in having control over drone YAW
DJI drones before the Phantom 3 had motors aligned vertically and had no problem with yaw.
But they did have a potential problem with vertical descent.

And, as I said,, "  it is a factor " which implies that the is at least one more "factor".
Also I did say " I think both the lean and torque reaction act to provide YAW control."

Or do you doubt that the horizontal component of the thrust of a canted prop plays a part in providing 'yaw thrust'?
2022-12-13
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks perfectly normal to me.
2022-12-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-13 13:34
And, as I said,, "  it is a factor " which implies that the is at least one more "factor".
Also I did say " I think both the lean and torque reaction act to provide YAW control."

Yes .. I doubt that your guess has any validity.
2022-12-13
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

This is absolutely not normal!
The right rear arm has a much steeper angle from the body than the left arm. I measured the angles in Photoshop (after levelling the drone body), and the left arm is angled 3,7 degrees downward, the right is 6,7 degrees!
I would never accept such a huge difference.
2022-12-13
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 12-13 14:55
This is absolutely not normal!
The right rear arm has a much steeper angle from the body than the left arm. I measured the angles in Photoshop (after levelling the drone body), and the left arm is angled 3,7 degrees downward, the right is 6,7 degrees!
I would never accept such a huge difference.

For me, I grabbed my Mini 2 and lined it up with his pic the best I could. No matter what I tried, the right rear arm looked wonky...
2022-12-13
Use props
pandaman888
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ssayer Posted at 12-13 15:13
For me, I grabbed my Mini 2 and lined it up with his pic the best I could. No matter what I tried, the right rear arm looked wonky...

can i ask, did you check this with the drone running?

i found that you can't notice it unless the motors are spinning.
2022-12-13
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

pandaman888 Posted at 12-13 15:28
can i ask, did you check this with the drone running?

i found that you can't notice it unless the motors are spinning.

Place the drone on a level surface (table) and check if the end of the rear arms have the same distance to the table surface.
2022-12-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

The drone flys without any problems
That's because there is nothing wrong with it.

and I've already replaced that pair with spare blades and the angle is still there.
That's because the drone is made with all motors offset from the vertical.

Is this something to be concerned about?

No
2022-12-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 12-13 14:38
Yes .. I doubt that your guess has any validity.

Really???????????

So are you saying that a motor that has a non-vertical axis of rotation does not have a horizontal component in the thrust created by its propeller?
Any horizontal component of propeller thrust that does not point at the drone's CoG will produce a yawing moment in the drone, that's school level science as far as I remember.
Set a drone on a table with the motors off but the arms opened out and push horizontally on ONE motor towards its neighbouring motor i.e. if pushing on the left rear motor then push towards the left front motor or the right rear motor and the drone will tend to yaw.
2022-12-14
Use props
ArcticPhoto
lvl.4
Norway

It seems like we are talking about two different things here. We all know that the rear propellers are slightly offset from the vertical, that is normal.
But the OP's concern is that the rear arm and propeller are more offset than the left one:
"I noticed the rear right blade set seems to more misaligned to the horizontal plane compared to the other 3 blade sets.  
The two front sets appear to be pretty much horizontal, the rear left has a very slight offset but the rear right is more misaligned.  "

And I agree, the right rear propeller and arm has a different angle than the left.
2022-12-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-14 03:21
Really???????????

So are you saying that a motor that has a non-vertical axis of rotation does not have a horizontal component in the thrust created by its propeller?

I didn't suggest that, why would you think I did?

I shouldn't have to explain what I already stated, clearly and succinctly.
But just for you ....

I'm saying that drones without any offset manage to yaw perfectly well using the torque of their vertically aligned motors.
My Phantom 2 yawed just as well as the 3, 4 and Mavics which have offset motors.
There is no need to have your imagined extra method.
The motor offset was developed for one purpose only and that was to eliminate VRS.
2022-12-14
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Well just for you, lol, to answer "why would you think I did?", you did say "Yes .. I doubt that your guess has any validity."

If "Yes .. I doubt that your guess has any validity" does not mean that you are questioning that horizontal thrust produces a yawing moment then perhaps your "clear" pronouncements are not as clear as you seem to think. Or perhaps you should bear in mind that not everyone is blessed with your insight and you could dumb things down bit for numpties such as myself.

I am in no way disputing that torque reaction can AND IS used to yaw a drone but since the horizontal thrust also creates a Yaw moment then if it present it too must be factored in.

For that matter, perhaps for those, like me, who lack you 'insight' you could perhaps stoop low enough to explain where canting of the motors eliminating vortex ring state comes into play.
2022-12-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-14 04:07
Well just for you, lol, to answer "why would you think I did?", you did say "Yes .. I doubt that your guess has any validity."

If "Yes .. I doubt that your guess has any validity" does not mean that you are questioning that horizontal thrust produces a yawing moment then perhaps your "clear" pronouncements are not as clear as you seem to think. Or perhaps you should bear in mind that not everyone is blessed with your insight and you could dumb things down bit for numpties such as myself.

you could perhaps stoop low enough to explain where canting of the motors eliminating vortex ring state comes into play.
Perhaps you can rephrase that in a way that makes sense?
Don't bother, I've spent way too much effort on this already.

2022-12-14
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
United States

ArcticPhoto Posted at 12-14 03:30
It seems like we are talking about two different things here. We all know that the rear propellers are slightly offset from the vertical, that is normal.
But the OP's concern is that the rear arm and propeller are more offset than the left one:
"I noticed the rear right blade set seems to more misaligned to the horizontal plane compared to the other 3 blade sets.  

I agree wholeheartedly. For sure, we all know (or should) that the rear props are offset from vertical.

I also concur that, from that pic at least, the right rear prop looks what I call wonky.

2022-12-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please note that if the propellers are properly mounted and the aircraft can hover in place with no issues, this is determined to be normal. If you have further concerns, please reach us back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day.
2022-12-14
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please only use DJI OEM props.  The use of aftermarket props will not assure your success.
2022-12-16
Use props
djiuser_X6Q2EJJg1p2z
New

United States

This was genuinely my favorite nerdy argument I've ever seen.
2023-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules