2975 21 2022-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AkDroneFlyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1295082 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can anyone explain why a GPS unit wasn't included in Goggles 2?
2022-12-13
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Because DJI thought everybody would be "happy" connecting the phone with DJI fly app to their goggles....
i suppose....
2022-12-13
Use props
AkDroneFlyer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

BadBert Posted at 12-13 22:45
Because DJI thought everybody would be "happy" connecting the phone with DJI fly app to their goggles....
i suppose....

Maybe they should’ve included that same functionality in the Rc and RC Pro. Epic fail to do that to an FPV system that wouldn’t also otherwise require a phone.
2022-12-13
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

AkDroneFlyer Posted at 12-13 22:55
Maybe they should’ve included that same functionality in the Rc and RC Pro. Epic fail to do that to an FPV system that wouldn’t also otherwise require a phone.

i agree.... 100%....
2022-12-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, AkDroneFlyer. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. As the Goggles 2 are designed not to have the GPS module, the aircraft itself has the GPS module to hover and update the home point. Before flying in the current area, kindly connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. You don't need a mobile network as it only needs GPS Signal. Thank you for your understanding. In addition, I'll be adding this video link: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly.
2022-12-14
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-14 00:27
Hi, AkDroneFlyer. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. As the Goggles 2 are designed not to have the GPS module, the aircraft itself has the GPS module to hover and update the home point. Before flying in the current area, kindly connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. You don't need a mobile network as it only needs GPS Signal. Thank you for your understanding. In addition, I'll be adding this video link: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly.

you totally missed the point of his question, and didn't even answer the question......

please read?!
2022-12-14
Use props
AkDroneFlyer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Hi, AkDroneFlyer. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. As the Goggles 2 are designed not to have the GPS module, the aircraft itself has the GPS module to hover and update the home point. Before flying in the current area, kindly connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. You don't need a mobile network as it only needs GPS Signal. Thank you for your understanding. In addition, I'll be adding this video link: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly.

Here’s my point. DJI pits a GPS module in both the RC Pro and RC screen controllers. Why? So customers living in the US don’t also have to connect a phone to their remotes and still comply with FAA RID ruling. DJI failed us huge with the Avata by NOT including a GPS module in the goggles 2 so as an FPV pilot we now have to connect our phone to a port that is supposed to be on Goggles 2!for casting to anoher set of goggles or display. DJI SHOULD have included anGPS module IN Goggles 2 so this isn’t a requirement and huge irritant to comply with RID. I think the FAA should pull the CoA for the Avata and DJI not be allowed to sell any additional Avata’s in the US past Dec 16,  2022 because it DOES NOT COMPLY with std RID!
2022-12-14
Use props
Big Fil
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1113484 ft
United States

It's so that in a few months they can sell us Goggles 2 V2 (with GPS)

My guess is this was an oversight and/or the goggles were  probably too far along in the design process to change course as everyone is figuring out how to implement RID. Being in electronics develpement I don't think alot of people understand how far previous to launch things are being developed and designed. The implementation of RID is new and probably changing right up to the date that the FAA required. The choice most likely came down to delay the launch of the Goggles 2 / Avata to a later date for one country (US) or launch and implement with a firmware update and no hardware updates, but inconvenient hooking up to a cable for that one country.
2022-12-14
Use props
AkDroneFlyer
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Big Fil Posted at 12-14 13:54

My guess is this was an oversight and/or the goggles were  probably too far along in the design process to change course as everyone is figuring out how to implement RID. Being in electronics develpement I don't think alot of people understand how far previous to launch things are being developed and designed. The implementation of RID is new and probably changing right up to the date that the FAA required. The choice most likely came down to delay the launch of the Goggles 2 / Avata to a later date for one country (US) or launch and implement with a firmware update and no hardware updates, but inconvenient hooking up to a cable for that one country.

RID has been in discussion for a few years and the ruling was set in stone last year. You can’t say they didn’t know anything about it with the number of drones they’ve got with DOC’s which are all the way back to the Air2s. This was a terrible excuse of a way to comply with this particular model. RC Pro and DJI RC both have GPS units in them and were released before Avata or the new Goggles2. It’s a matter of it being put on the end user and not a miss because of R&D or any other thing.
2022-12-14
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

This whole thing is a non sense, WHY not use the aircraft GPS and when Home Point is Updated on Goggles  you have the GPS coordinates of pilot location?  it is so simple and should not be an annoyance like that
2022-12-14
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Netherlands

HDPS Posted at 12-14 19:30
This whole thing is a non sense, WHY not use the aircraft GPS and when Home Point is Updated on Goggles  you have the GPS coordinates of pilot location?  it is so simple and should not be an annoyance like that

100% agree!!!
2022-12-15
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

This whole thing is a non sense, WHY not use the aircraft GPS and when Home Point is Updated on Goggles  you have the GPS coordinates of pilot location?  it is so simple and should not be an annoyance like that

The FAA defined two types of Remote ID - Standard (e.g manufactured ready to fly) and Module (DIY). The Avata is Standard since it is ready to fly.

Remote ID modules for DIY have to report only takeoff and aircraft positions. Standard Remote ID like Avata has to CONTINUALLY report pilot position (not Home, and not takeoff position). That means the GPS from the Avata can’t transmit pilot position unless the goggles sends it as part of the transmitted data stream to Avata where it is then broadcast by Remote ID (Wi-Fi). So the goggles must get their own GPS position, but can only get that from an external device (DJI Fly app).

Don’t blame DJI for this nonsense. Blame the bureaucrats in the FAA. They are part of a government that hates you and me.
2022-12-15
Use props
bp328i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124590 ft
United States

CappyA330 Posted at 12-15 18:31
The FAA defined two types of Remote ID - Standard (e.g manufactured ready to fly) and Module (DIY). The Avata is Standard since it is ready to fly.

Remote ID modules for DIY have to report only takeoff and aircraft positions. Standard Remote ID like Avata has to CONTINUALLY report pilot position (not Home, and not takeoff position). That means the GPS from the Avata can’t transmit pilot position unless the goggles sends it as part of the transmitted data stream to Avata where it is then broadcast by Remote ID (Wi-Fi). So the goggles must get their own GPS position, but can only get that from an external device (DJI Fly app).

It's mainly the FAA BS but at the same time the blame is on DJI, at least to a point.

The Avata doesn't meet the guidelines for Standard RID without the end user supplying a phone that can run the DJI FLY app. This was never mentioned to the consumers that purchased the Avata prior to this last update. In fact, I still don't think it's mentioned.

I know it's few and far between but what happens to the person that doesn't own a phone that will run the DJI FLY app?
2022-12-15
Use props
A1C
Second Officer
Flight distance : 40909 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI could have implemented a GPS in the goggles.  They already know how to implement GPS (it's already on the drone itself), and the BOM would be very low since they can source them for all the drones they design, and I'm sure they buy in large bulk quantities.

My only guess is they realized too late that the goggles (pilot) position would need to be transmitted, and way too late (and costly) to redesign, have software write code for it, get reference boards to test, etc.  So they did what we have done at our company.  Found a workaround and called it a day.  The whole tether-the-phone screams workaround to me.
2022-12-15
Use props
Indra3
New
Flight distance : 1092831 ft
United States

I got new avata with motion controller, the problem is i got an error, saying remote id error.
The error still persist even when i connect the dji fly app to the goggle and i cant start the drone.

Please help
2022-12-18
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

This whole thing is a non sense, WHY not use the aircraft GPS and when Home Point is Updated on Goggles  you have the GPS coordinates of pilot location?  it is so simple and should not be an annoyance like that

Hi, HDPS. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Your kind understanding is appreciated.
2022-12-20
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

AkDroneFlyer Posted at 12-14 06:22
Here’s my point. DJI pits a GPS module in both the RC Pro and RC screen controllers. Why? So customers living in the US don’t also have to connect a phone to their remotes and still comply with FAA RID ruling. DJI failed us huge with the Avata by NOT including a GPS module in the goggles 2 so as an FPV pilot we now have to connect our phone to a port that is supposed to be on Goggles 2!for casting to anoher set of goggles or display. DJI SHOULD have included anGPS module IN Goggles 2 so this isn’t a requirement and huge irritant to comply with RID. I think the FAA should pull the CoA for the Avata and DJI not be allowed to sell any additional Avata’s in the US past Dec 16,  2022 because it DOES NOT COMPLY with std RID!

Hi, AkDroneFlyer. Thank you for pointing that out, we do understand how inconvenient it is to use a lot of devices just to fly the DJI Avata. I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you for your kind understanding. Happy Holidays!
2022-12-23
Use props
fans147b0783
lvl.2

United States

USA is not the center of the universe and who knows what the market size is anyway. Why should DJI focus all their energies on one American country policy who actually places restrictions on the microchips used for these devices anyway. DJI could easily not offer the AVATA to America. I am grateful of DJI. Thank you for supporting the idea of hobby. Thank you for taking the time to understand additional complex requirements for outlier areas. Thank you for being creative by using software to solve knee jerk government policies pushed by corporate lobbies with fear. Some think it is just a $10 GPS microchip which may already be on the Gyro module disable but I see it as a revolving door of policy changes and exceptions from an American government that does not respect the effort and quality that DJI has shown to offer customers across the globe for very good bargains actually yet safe and stable of high quality. DJI please keep up the good work.
2022-12-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Indra3 Posted at 12-18 13:58
I got new avata with motion controller, the problem is i got an error, saying remote id error.
The error still persist even when i connect the dji fly app to the goggle and i cant start the drone.

Hi, Indra3. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. Have you successfully performed the firmware update? If you do, kindly watch this video for more information about the RID: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly. If not, please provide us with the error message while doing the update. We will wait for your response. Thank you.
2022-12-24
Use props
djiuser_oR96Z5l2K8Tw
lvl.2
United States

Big Fil Posted at 12-14 13:54

I've got Goggles v2. I flew up until 12/23, never needing to have my phone connected. Fired it up yesterday, 12/24, and had the ID error for the first time. DJI fly app had a required update, and I had to connect to lift off. Once flying, I was able to disconnect phone, though.
2022-12-25
Use props
John Thomas
New

United States

BadBert Posted at 2022-12-13 23:32
i agree.... 100%....

Does anyone know if the DroneTag BS can replace the need to tether your phone to your goggles for RID?
2023-5-18
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

John Thomas Posted at 5-18 11:52
Does anyone know if the DroneTag BS can replace the need to tether your phone to your goggles for RID?

it cannot.
2023-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules