Bug in RTH
682 10 2022-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

I heard a car on the road next to me, so I checked it out. I went down to 30m, and then pushed RTH, and it went up to what I had set it to, but then moved forward a bit, and went up again. It repeated this until 240m/786ft, where I had to intervene, because of low battery. Afterwards, I suspected APAS had seen an imaginary tree, but APAS was off. I've tried to reproduce it, but nothing does it. Since the main value in RTH is usally attaining more height, to reconnect, this bug is not super fatal. However the logs give me no real info on what else was going on.

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/3AY7A2C08LY48SWQUHLI/

2022-12-13
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. You may also apply for data analysis services regarding your question, too. Please contact our support for help:  https://www.dji.com/support?from=store_footer
2022-12-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I cant see why it would, you will need JJB* or Labroides for this one.

I will point out that RTH height was set to 131m and max flight height was set to 500m, not that either are relevant here i don't think.
Also it was nighttime, perhaps the dark was affecting the downward sensors, but then it would have also acted the same way in manual mode so, not that either...

Not sure why it would go beyond the 131m set, hope either of the other members can help.
2022-12-13
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

It was in the middle of the day in Australia.
2022-12-13
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Zo..om,

Had a look at your flightlog.

In a RTH the OA is always ON, despite the Obstacle Avoidance Action setting = Off.

See my chart of your data.
Green line top chart is the RTH height setting of 131 meters.
Your Mini3Pro in RTH climbed to 131 and started to fly towards home. (see distance line and flat blue baro height line)
But the OA sensors had false readings, so it will climb and fly forward, stop, climb again, forward, stop  etc ect.

Heading to home 268 degrees, time of the day "middle of the day", so sun was shining bit into the lens.

Nothing you can do about this, sensors too sensitive i guess.
See the manual for this.

a BUG?  well....if in your situation the RTH was initiated bc of a disconnect...it would climb towards 500 meter.But how to change this behaviour?  mayby after 3 * times up, forward and stop again disable the sensor and let the drone fly forward.
For sure if this is above 100 * meters of baro height.
* values arbitrary...
But what if after 3 times it flys against on obstacle....[ so make it a user option ]

EDIT
Did few RTH tests into the Sun, and 45 degrees left right offset to the sun.
At my RTH 30 meter it went towards home without climbing or stopping bc of obstacle sensing.

cheers
JJB

analysis2.png
2022-12-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Weird, my initial thought was the sun before i even opened the logfile, but to me it shows 22:00hrs hence thinking it was nighttime...

2022-12-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bashy Posted at 12-14 04:51
Weird, my initial thought was the sun before i even opened the logfile, but to me it shows 22:00hrs hence thinking it was nighttime...

[view_image]

Hi,

Must be time 'error' in PH, time in the log: 8 pm  or 22:etc.
But somehow the flightlog date time shows local time.
So i use always local time in FRAP.

Guess you do not use the latest version of FRAP    ;-)

cheers
JJB
DateTimeFRAP.png
2022-12-14
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Thanks guys.

Obviously the log is in UTC time.

Another theory is to do with radio interference. I was investigating a car noise I heard, and it was a forestry worker, who stopped his car. You may notice in the log, a lot of radio dropouts. He may have been doing something on his tablet, but the 4G frequencies around here, arent 2.4GHz.  I tried to reproduce these dropouts, and all the trips I did, look pretty normal. I can go right down to -10m, with no dropouts.

I did actually press the RTH button, and it could have coincided with a dropout. I have tried to reproduce this, but trying to hit RTH in the 3 seconds you think might be the time, is tricky.
2022-12-14
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Zoooom Posted at 12-14 06:23
Thanks guys.

Obviously the log is in UTC time.

Hi,

Your flight in RTH (climb,stop,climb,stop, etc) is typical for OA issue.
Radio drop outs does not do this to a drone.

Do not understand your 3 seconds text....

If you switch off the RC yourself, than drone stops whateveri it was doing/flying.
So into hover and after 3 seconds it will do a FailSave RTH.

cheers
JJB
2022-12-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JJB* Posted at 12-14 05:21
Hi,

Must be time 'error' in PH, time in the log: 8 pm  or 22:etc.

Oh erm, not sure lol, im on 1.1, i will have a look at the time settings, thanks

yeah, i just have ''Local time correction'' for the time and its set to 2 for some reason, probably for you lol
2022-12-14
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

DJI got back from data analysis, and they said it was OA, and because of the sun. However, that explanation doesn't really work, because at 12:18pm, the sun would have been very high, to the right of the drone, in summer at our latitude.
2022-12-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules