Remote ID
1940 14 2022-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AE1M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1862884 ft
United States

Is there a current way to have the Mavic Air 2 have Remote ID capability?  Will it be a software/firmware upgrade that will allow this?

2022-12-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. DJI is committed to complying with the new European Drone Regulation for future drone models. We will work with notified bodies to obtain additional drone certificates over the coming years. More details will be announced in due course. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-12-16
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23370489 ft
United States

The most recent firmware version has RemoteID enabled.
2022-12-16
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 12-16 20:39
The most recent firmware version has RemoteID enabled.

That’s good news, where is that fact documented?
2022-12-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

This is the official list of compliant drones. If your drone isn'r here, it probably won't be. You will need a module before next September in the U.S.
https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
2022-12-17
Use props
AE1M
lvl.4
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-17 07:13
This is the official list of compliant drones. If your drone isn'r here, it probably won't be. You will need a module before next September in the U.S.
https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs

What does a “module” mean?  A piece of special firmware, or some circuitry that will need to be installed in the drone, or a standalone electrical unit that will have to be velcroed etc onto the external skin?
2022-12-17
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

AE1M Posted at 12-17 09:11
What does a “module” mean?  A piece of special firmware, or some circuitry that will need to be installed in the drone, or a standalone electrical unit that will have to be velcroed etc onto the external skin?

An add-on transmitter.
2022-12-17
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

AE1M Posted at 12-17 04:19
That’s good news, where is that fact documented?

I've not seen it officially documented anywhere but after the last update, all my flight logs include a line that says "Remote ID functionality normal (Code: 30331)."
2022-12-19
Use props
Fourbeer0
lvl.1
United States

I wish DJI would come out and say that the Air 2 either isn't ever going to be remote ID compliant or it is.  Their documentation says it is not.  The currently available RID modules are around $300.  Considering all future drones will be RID compatible, I don't want to sink $300 into a module that will only be used on my current drone if they will spontaneously enable RID on the Air 2.  Considering the Air2S has it, it is surprising that the Air 2 doesn't yet.
2022-12-29
Use props
JPLDronePhotos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 349308 ft
United States

Fourbeer0 Posted at 12-29 12:10
I wish DJI would come out and say that the Air 2 either isn't ever going to be remote ID compliant or it is.  Their documentation says it is not.  The currently available RID modules are around $300.  Considering all future drones will be RID compatible, I don't want to sink $300 into a module that will only be used on my current drone if they will spontaneously enable RID on the Air 2.  Considering the Air2S has it, it is surprising that the Air 2 doesn't yet.
Agreed.  Some official word from DJI would be great.  I bought a new Air 2 this year and it was encouraging to see remote ID being added to other models via firmware updates.  If the Air 2 is never going to have it, I'd like to know so I can weigh my options going forward.  
2022-12-31
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it hasn’t already been updated, it’s highly unlikely they will add it.  That’s just my opinion.  

Don’t worry about it for now. It’s not necessary for operators to comply with it until Sept 2023.  Technology options in 9 months from will be different from today.  Relax and just go fly until then and make a decision based on what’s available at that time.
2022-12-31
Use props
Pastime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Fourbeer0 Posted at 2022-12-29 12:10
I wish DJI would come out and say that the Air 2 either isn't ever going to be remote ID compliant or it is.  Their documentation says it is not.  The currently available RID modules are around $300.  Considering all future drones will be RID compatible, I don't want to sink $300 into a module that will only be used on my current drone if they will spontaneously enable RID on the Air 2.  Considering the Air2S has it, it is surprising that the Air 2 doesn't yet.

I think the FAA can pay for it.
2023-1-21
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
United States

Here is the official FAA page - https://uasdoc.faa.gov/listDocs
And the DJI FAQ - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =1&pbc=mF6h4ZTt
2023-1-21
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Pastime Posted at 1-21 11:26
I think the FAA can pay for it.

I agree... If they want to make a rule that requires me to have a $300 module in order be compliant, they can either make it only apply to new drones or pay for the module.

2023-1-21
Use props
JmsWms
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3344603 ft
United States

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-21 12:13
I agree... If they want to make a rule that requires me to have a $300 module in order be compliant, they can either make it only apply to new drones or pay for the module.

Yes! Kind of like when TV went from analog to digital several years ago. They issued coupons to purchase a converter unit to go with your analog TV. It made them free of charges for a limited time.
2023-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules