Sound expansion plate xlr
1699 6 2022-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse11d8c08
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Does DJI have any idea how long before it releases its sound expansion plate, im enjoying using the camera but will be much better with the ability to add proffesional mics hopefully with better pre amps as the sound at the moment is unusable.
2022-12-17
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

Get a battery-powered shotgun mic with an XLR to 35mm cable.
Then switch the "35mm Line In" on the L and R inputs respectively.
2022-12-19
Use props
drip_alex
lvl.1

United States

Ford4D Posted at 2022-12-19 10:53

The problem with this is if I want two audio sources I'm SOL. Only having one 3.5mm jack is extremely limiting. An expansion plate makes my life easier. No doubt.
2023-1-13
Use props
Ford4D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7608 ft

United States

drip_alex Posted at 1-13 21:44
The problem with this is if I want two audio sources I'm SOL. Only having one 3.5mm jack is extremely limiting. An expansion plate makes my life easier. No doubt.

You're actually not out of luck! There's a working solution. Get a cable that feeds the stereo signal going into the 3.5mm jack from two completely distinct left and right jacks.

Manufacturers make tons of cables that can accomplished this. Attached is an example of just a few different kinds.

You can even make your own! Ask any audio engineer or sound tech friends you have, we're the types that will chef up a custom cable for exactly what you need (for example, XLR for left channel and 1/4 inch for right channel).

Also: I don't know why somebody downvoted my other reply, I was literally just being helpful. Don't take it out on me that the XLR expansion plate isn't released yet. I'm not DJI. I don't work for them. I don't control when it comes out.

I'm just offering some solutions that we creators can use RIGHT NOW in the meantime. Until the plate comes out.
2023-1-14
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I decided to use an external audio recorder with a line out to the 4D's mic input. The Tascam one I chose is capable of handling 4 x XLR/TRS and two 3.5mm and has the option to record 32-bit floating point bit depth audio to a microSD card. So if the audio via the camera's pre-amp isn't good enough it can serve as a guide for the Tascam's audio to replace it. In the photo, I have 2 DJI Mic receivers feeding the audio from up to 4 lav mics into two of the Tascam's channels. Alternatively or sometimes additionally I use a Rode NTG4+ shotgun mic either connected directly via XLR to the Tascam or wirelessly via an XLR to 3.5mm adapter into a  DJI Mic transmitter. This may sound and probably looks cumbersome but I have a feeling I will continue to use the recorder even when I get the expansion plate just because 32-bit float is so forgiving.
IMG_20221026_104653038 (1).jpg
2023-1-15
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

Ford4D Posted at 2022-12-19 10:53

Tried this but need to push the camera gains to +20. Super large noise floor

I wonder if the xlr inputs in the expansion plate will help with this or not?
2023-11-9
Use props
codyfay
New

United States

Just got the expansion plate but cannot get a good level without distortion from Sennheiser AVX wireless system.  Also XLR1 is coming in as XLR2.  Am I missing an update or something here?

Cody
2023-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules