DJI FPV - Sudden Battery Death - No RTH Activation - Forced Landing
917 7 2022-12-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SMcDaid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3090846 ft
United States

I started flying my DJI FPV with a freshly charged battery at 99% and flew in manual mode for 3 minutes and 20 seconds when the drone stopped and I got a message that it was in forced landing due to low battery power. If DJI would find a way to allow the Goggles v2 to record the telemetry I would be able to tell you exactly what the error said. Thankfully by using the last bit of flight video before it went down, I was able to find where it safely landed. But a minute or so earlier I was flying over a river and if it had done this, it would have been a total loss!

I'm new to flying in manual after hours of flying in the flight similator. Does RTH work in manual mode? Was that my mistake? Or are my batteries too old? I bought a couple of used batteries on eBay (I know, I know) and I was flying with one of them when this happened. I was flying at full throttle for most of the time but 3 minutes and 20 seconds still seems way too quick to run out of power. It was approximately 50 degrees F on the ground where I was flying so it may have been 47 or 48 up where I was flying it.

BTW, I LOVE this drone... I don't want to lose it!
Thoughts?
2022-12-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your unit. Manual mode does not support Low Battery RTH. If a prompt appears on the goggles that the battery only has enough power to return to the home point, the user must fly the aircraft to the home point
manually. For more information about Low Battery RTH for the DJI FPV, you may access the link below and visit Page 18. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf
2022-12-17
Use props
fans17c4995b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18832116 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe it will switch from manual to normal mode, just like it does when you lose signal. Could be a the battery, test it out by just flying it nearby.
2022-12-17
Use props
SMcDaid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3090846 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-17 20:34
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the incident that happened to your unit. Manual mode does not support Low Battery RTH. If a prompt appears on the goggles that the battery only has enough power to return to the home point, the user must fly the aircraft to the home point
manually. For more information about Low Battery RTH for the DJI FPV, you may access the link below and visit Page 18. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

Okay, so it appears I made the mistake of thinking RTH would take over even in manual mode, I now know! But should the battery have gotten that depleted in just 3 minutes and 20 seconds in 50 degrees F temperature?
2022-12-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

so it sounds like when in manual mode and you get the warning, you can manually switch to sport mode and press the rth button, no?
2022-12-18
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

SMcDaid Posted at 12-17 21:36
Okay, so it appears I made the mistake of thinking RTH would take over even in manual mode, I now know! But should the battery have gotten that depleted in just 3 minutes and 20 seconds in 50 degrees F temperature?

Thank you for your response. With regards to the battery, can you please send me the serial number via PM so we can check the battery that you purchased on eBay? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

The Saint Posted at 12-18 10:36
so it sounds like when in manual mode and you get the warning, you can manually switch to sport mode and press the rth button, no?

I will coordinate this with our designated team for clarification. Will keep you posted, The Saint. Thank you for your support.
2022-12-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

The Saint Posted at 12-18 10:36

Thank you for patiently waiting. Yes, you can switch to S mode during the flight. After switching the mode successfully, you can operate the smart RTH. Please visit the Smart RTH section of the manual for more info. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules