Underwater - screen grabs
583 12 2022-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

This morning, tide, weather and swell came together. With the gear I had been itching to test - finally.

2022-12-19
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

2022-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see.
Bit low on resolution, but that is probably because of the screen grab
2022-12-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice.  
2022-12-19
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 02:45
Nice to see.
Bit low on resolution, but that is probably because of the screen grab

Low res indeed. Given the factors I'm surprised I get any image at all at times.

The resolution takes a hammering with various file conversion stages and each with their own ideas of compression algorithms. But the prime issue might be that I'm shooting 1080 and at 8x slo-mo, plus the underwater sand being stirred up by the waves plus the distance showing that the water was not all that clear to start with. Plus my very brutal efforts in post.  
Attached is an above water view showing a lot of things a lot more clearly as one would expect.
The big one is the extreme wide angle shift to the standard anti-fisheye algorithm. Probably the main culprit since the centre area is free of artifacts for the most part.
My task in this is to accompany my ambient music pretensions so as a sort of an aquarium back ground - its a nice enough result for me. Also getting into the water and battling the inshore currents is complete fun too of course.

2022-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neico Posted at 12-19 08:46
Low res indeed. Given the factors I'm surprised I get any image at all at times.

The resolution takes a hammering with various file conversion stages and each with their own ideas of compression algorithms. But the prime issue might be that I'm shooting 1080 and at 8x slo-mo, plus the underwater sand being stirred up by the waves plus the distance showing that the water was not all that clear to start with. Plus my very brutal efforts in post.  

Yeah, I can see why.
What kind of ambient music do you make?
Can I listen to some of that somewhere?
2022-12-19
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 13:01
Yeah, I can see why.
What kind of ambient music do you make?
Can I listen to some of that somewhere?

The music just got out of hand. Needed a sound track for a vid, the guys at the music store put me on to CuBase, recalled a favourite Brian Eno/ Robert Fripp album of 1973 and aimed for it in the midi editor.
Didnt get close but what I got took over. So, not knowing anything, just did stuff and developed a set of objectives with the work. So, sorry, no idea what kind it might be.
No, no place anything published. I test tracks that show promise by burning to CD and living with it for a while in the truck. Recently the Mechanic asked if I my CD was jammed in the machine - seems he recognised it from years of servicing the wheels. The track did all and more that I was aiming for so have stepped back from arranging. The track mentioned is dated on the files as 2017 so its been my music for a while and shows no sign of growing stale. 50 mins and yes, holes in it, but it still works for me. This aspect seems to me to be the crowning criteria of the Ambient task. Apologised to the Mechanic of course.
And now full circle, have the sound track now (I use it in mixes for everything) and am looking for ambient video to round it out. So it goes.

2022-12-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neico Posted at 12-19 14:57
The music just got out of hand. Needed a sound track for a vid, the guys at the music store put me on to CuBase, recalled a favourite Brian Eno/ Robert Fripp album of 1973 and aimed for it in the midi editor.
Didnt get close but what I got took over. So, not knowing anything, just did stuff and developed a set of objectives with the work. So, sorry, no idea what kind it might be.
No, no place anything published. I test tracks that show promise by burning to CD and living with it for a while in the truck. Recently the Mechanic asked if I my CD was jammed in the machine - seems he recognised it from years of servicing the wheels. The track did all and more that I was aiming for so have stepped back from arranging. The track mentioned is dated on the files as 2017 so its been my music for a while and shows no sign of growing stale. 50 mins and yes, holes in it, but it still works for me. This aspect seems to me to be the crowning criteria of the Ambient task. Apologised to the Mechanic of course.

I'm curious about it. I do make my own 'music' for my videos as well.
Very nice to be able to do this!
2022-12-19
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 12-19 23:51
I'm curious about it. I do make my own 'music' for my videos as well.
Very nice to be able to do this!

No choice really. Take anything off the shelf and there's copyright issues and grief. While I thought I'd be able to knock together something, I never expected to end up with a hundred or so tracks of music I liked to listen to. It was as if the person who made the tracks knew exactly what I liked to hear  - um - hang on - ah -

2022-12-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neico Posted at 12-20 00:36
No choice really. Take anything off the shelf and there's copyright issues and grief. While I thought I'd be able to knock together something, I never expected to end up with a hundred or so tracks of music I liked to listen to. It was as if the person who made the tracks knew exactly what I liked to hear  - um - hang on - ah -

You are making me very curious now.
2022-12-20
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

There's an issue here. Ambient Music is not to be listened to, it is to be heard now and then while doing other work, play etc. A concert performance of ambient music is a contradiction of terms. This is the chief anomaly that Ambient Video is seldom able to overcome, namely the dominance in perception of the visual senses.  Just thought I'd mention it.
2022-12-20
Use props
HighlandFoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 655171 ft
United States

Very cool!
2023-1-4
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

PS: Jump forward to today - storm surf and I timed the tide right - well on its way to low tide - I thought. Three massive waves caught me, now the Osmo Pocket doesnt respond to the WiFi base (not really a big deal for what I use the camera for but even so!). And my phone is RIP, cause of death: drowning. On the plus side - the underwater takes from the Action 2 are very exciting.  So it goes.

2023-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules