Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
waypoint mission impossible because of low map resolution
1077 12 2022-12-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cliff_Allister
lvl.3
Flight distance : 704741 ft
Cyprus

Hi,
I was very enthusiastic about the possibility to perform waypoint missions when the update was released - but now I am very dissappointed!
It is absolutely impossible to pre-plan those missions on the DJI RC because the resolution of the map when one zooms in is so bad that it is impossible to recognize any details. Not even houses are visible! That might be different in other areas but here in Cyprus the resolution of the map is abysmal.
I have read that this is because recently DJI changed the provider of those maps to a cheaper one. I have paid around 2000.- € for this drone and now I can not use an important feature because DJI wanted to save some money. That is pathetic for a company that wants to be market leader! I am seriously considering to send my drone back!

DJI_RC.jpg
2022-12-19
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. We do notice the issue that the Maptiler has lower satellite accuracy in some countries, our relevant team is working on this issue as well, thanks for your feedback, which will help us to improve this service quality better and optimize this issue in future App version. Please stay tuned on our DJI official website update.
2022-12-19
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

"now I can not use an important feature because DJI wanted to save some money. "

Not some money, a huge amount of money. Map services cost money to use, and are not cheap. The Google service costs the author of the software a fee each month, and this is near impossible for originators like DJI to recover. The fee is based on how many users used the service in the previous month, in the case in point, users mean owners of drones.
2022-12-19
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.3
Cyprus

Geebax Posted at 12-19 13:44
"now I can not use an important feature because DJI wanted to save some money. "

Not some money, a huge amount of money. Map services cost money to use, and are not cheap. The Google service costs the author of the software a fee each month, and this is near impossible for originators like DJI to recover. The fee is based on how many users used the service in the previous month, in the case in point, users mean owners of drones.

Billions of smartphone users use Google maps every day. Even those that only have cheap phones for less than 100.- €. Those manufacturers have millions of customers and will have to pay for millions of these daily uses. And now you claim that DJI, who maybe sold a couple thousand drones that can use waypoints and that are not used daily or even weekly can´t afford these fees? For drones that cost 1000.-  € upward? For their most devoted customers that are willing to pay up to 5000.- € for a drone (Mavic 3 Cine) and now can´t use an important feature because DJI wants to save some money? Yes, some, in light of these few users and the only occational usage!  How often do you use a mavic 3 per year? 20, 30, 50 times and how often do you use your phone and Google maps in comparison? The argument of expensive licencing fees doesn´t hold water in light of the few drones/users...
2022-12-19
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Cliff_Allister Posted at 12-19 23:02
Billions of smartphone users use Google maps every day. Even those that only have cheap phones for less than 100.- €. Those manufacturers have millions of customers and will have to pay for millions of these daily uses. And now you claim that DJI, who maybe sold a couple thousand drones that can use waypoints and that are not used daily or even weekly can´t afford these fees? For drones that cost 1000.-  € upward? For their most devoted customers that are willing to pay up to 5000.- € for a drone (Mavic 3 Cine) and now can´t use an important feature because DJI wants to save some money? Yes, some, in light of these few users and the only occational usage!  How often do you use a mavic 3 per year? 20, 30, 50 times and how often do you use your phone and Google maps in comparison? The argument of expensive licencing fees doesn´t hold water in light of the few drones/users...

Google maps is a Google' App installed on your phone. You pay without knowing it in the form of collected data.

Maps in DJI application, this is an imported feature. It's not just DJI that is impacted and they are not responsible. This is Google policy. I have forestry vehicle activity tracking software that worked with maps in the background. Considering the price these motherf**kers charge for using Maps, now there's no displayed map. It's less user friendly.

What do you prefer ? a more expensive drone with Maps. Or a cheaper drone with other background maps knowing that there are alternatives?

@DJI: What could be possible is a paid function to unlock an API key. The user to choose.
2022-12-19
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.3
Cyprus

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-19 23:14
Google maps is a Google' App installed on your phone. You pay without knowing it in the form of collected data.

Maps in DJI application, this is an imported feature. It's not just DJI that is impacted and they are not responsible. This is Google policy. I have forestry vehicle activity tracking software that worked with maps in the background. Considering the price these motherf**kers charge for using Maps, now there's no displayed map. It's less user friendly.

I prefer a drone that can deliver what it promises, especially if it costs thousands of Euros! What good is a feature if I can´t use it? DJI make false promises in advertisement when they claim that the Mavic 3 series can do pre-planned waypoint missions. They simply can not! At least not in most places on the planet.
2022-12-19
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Cliff_Allister Posted at 12-19 23:18
I prefer a drone that can deliver what it promises, especially if it costs thousands of Euros! What good is a feature if I can´t use it? DJI make false promises in advertisement when they claim that the Mavic 3 series can do pre-planned waypoint missions. They simply can not! At least not in most places on the planet.

The waypoint function works? It's just that the map is too blurry to preposition your points, but you can place them. Promise kept!
Chances are it will get better. At first Google Maps wasn't pretty either.

Otherwise try to get a refund by contacting DJI support, you explain to them that in your opinion the product does not correspond to the specifications. Good luck.
2022-12-19
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There is a cloud over my usual flying site. Just a white blur never mind poor detail :-(. I hope DJI provide us with better maps.
2022-12-19
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cliff_Allister Posted at 12-19 23:02
Billions of smartphone users use Google maps every day. Even those that only have cheap phones for less than 100.- €. Those manufacturers have millions of customers and will have to pay for millions of these daily uses. And now you claim that DJI, who maybe sold a couple thousand drones that can use waypoints and that are not used daily or even weekly can´t afford these fees? For drones that cost 1000.-  € upward? For their most devoted customers that are willing to pay up to 5000.- € for a drone (Mavic 3 Cine) and now can´t use an important feature because DJI wants to save some money? Yes, some, in light of these few users and the only occational usage!  How often do you use a mavic 3 per year? 20, 30, 50 times and how often do you use your phone and Google maps in comparison? The argument of expensive licencing fees doesn´t hold water in light of the few drones/users...

Very few people with drones generally compared with phones and very few with drones are interested in using maps. Of those that do I suspect you might be the only one in cyprus
2022-12-20
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cliff_Allister Posted at 12-19 23:18
I prefer a drone that can deliver what it promises, especially if it costs thousands of Euros! What good is a feature if I can´t use it? DJI make false promises in advertisement when they claim that the Mavic 3 series can do pre-planned waypoint missions. They simply can not! At least not in most places on the planet.

Yes they can in many countries
2022-12-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can always fly the mission manually and mark the points you want and then replay them later.
2022-12-20
Use props
Cliff_Allister
lvl.3
Cyprus

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-20 00:11
Very few people with drones generally compared with phones and very few with drones are interested in using maps. Of those that do I suspect you might be the only one in cyprus

All the more reason that the monetary argument (high licencing fees) doesn´t hold water!
2022-12-20
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Cliff_Allister Posted at 12-20 01:18
All the more reason that the monetary argument (high licencing fees) doesn´t hold water!

You don't understand the map charges and how they work. It has nothing to do with the Google Maps application that Google offer, it is a use of the mapping system to superimpose your own images over, those showing the positioning of the drone.
2022-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules