New Manual Exposure Settings
3145 10 2015-8-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Flight 1
lvl.2

Australia

Does anyone know what the advance P S M settings stand for and what they do?
2015-8-15
Use props
bobo81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 336473 ft
Australia

I too would like some clarification on this. I'm guessing M stands for Manual?
2015-8-15
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Hjm ... looks familiar ...

Not sure if it´s the same functions thought ... haven´t had the chance to test the new app yet

nikon_d90_mode_dial.jpg
2015-8-15
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Program
Shutter (priority)
Manual

Hardly rocket science.
2015-8-16
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-8-16 18:54
Program
Shutter (priority)
Manual

Is the "S" mode new ... I don´t remember that one from "before" !?
2015-8-16
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

It's new.
They have just setup some profiles for you to choose from which more or less mirror traditional camera features.
Choose one aspect to set yourself and the Inspire will manage the iso / shutter setting to suit.
Had the I1's camera an adjustable aperture, you would also have seen an 'A' mode as well.

2015-8-16
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Program mode = basically automatic. You can adjust the EV up and down to get a brighter or darker image and the camera will adjust ISO or shutter speed as it sees fit to match.

Manual mode = all settings manual. You set the ISO and shutter as you need and they stay there.

Shutter mode = you can set the shutter mode to, say, 1/50, 1/60, or 1/120 shutter speed (optimal if filming in 24p, 30p, or 60p respectively) and the copter will adjust ISO on the fly to ensure "even" exposure without varying shutter speed.

"Shutter mode" is more or less ideal for video as it allows you to keep to close to 180 degree shutter as possible at all times (shutter speed double frame rate).
2015-8-16
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2015-8-17 08:26
Program mode = basically automatic. You can adjust the EV up and down to get a brighter or darker im ...

But if it's still an auto mode do you really trust it with your exposure?
2015-8-17
Use props
Flight 1
lvl.2

Australia

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-17 18:17

Jim well said. Where I go confused is when i hovered over the P or S a window flashed on saying advanced on or advanced off. Why not call it what it is Program or Shutter.
2015-8-17
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jimhare Posted at 2015-8-17 18:17

Oh goodness no. Especially DJI's algorithm...
Just that's what program / shutter modes do... try to auto expose either entirely automated or while holding the shutter speed.

However...

I find DJI's exposure algorithm to be wildly unpleasant - if the image varies in overall lighting level  rapidly the raising and lowering of the ISO / shutter by the program mode algorithm makes some pretty ugly flickering in the image.

So, full answer:

If you absolutely want good photography, you need to use manual (as is the case with most cameras with these options)... but in the context of someone who is asking what the actual modes do in the first place, shutter priority is a good place to start before graduating to managing manual exposure on a per-shot basis.

Of course, if you absolutely want good aerial photography the Inspire 1 is probably not the best place to be anyways given the X3's other major limitations, but that's another (well, many other) thread all together.
2015-8-18
Use props
SimplePanda
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Flight 1 Posted at 2015-8-18 09:11
Jim well said. Where I go confused is when i hovered over the P or S a window flashed on saying ad ...

This is no doubt because the app is made in Shenzhen.
2015-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules