3286 16 2022-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi DJI Team,

Wanted to revisit this topic. Could you please enable / unlock DJI 4G LTE dongle in US and other regions of the world for us to be able to take shots in areas with high interference while maintaing low altitude. I can confirm the dongle already works with RC Pro and Mavic 3 (Cine) in the US region , but it is artifiially locked by geographical location , i.e. in the USA the dongle goes green when connnected to Mavic 3 (Cine) and then I get an error on RC Pro that "Enhaced transmission is not allowed for my region". Could you please unlock the dongle in US and other regions as possible as this would give us a much greater flexibility for shooting in urban or highly congested areas with high interference where we are forced to fly higher than we actually need.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

P.S. Also I can see the dongle already has FCC id / certification , which imho means it's approved for US use by FCC.
2022-12-20
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Ain't gonna happen. And has nothing to do with DJI. You CAN get a data dongle from some cell providers to use for data to your RC Pro(maybe RC), but for using cell service for BVLOS control of the drone - no, not gonna happen.
2022-12-20
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Is it under djis control ?
2022-12-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Mzp. Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Every country has different laws and regulations for communication and radio frequency equipment. DJI is studying the applicability of North America's regulatory requirements to the 4G dongle. Nonetheless, we will forward your voice to our related team for attention. Please stay tuned on our DJI official website (www.dji.com) for any relevant updates. We appreciate your understanding and support. Keep safe.
2022-12-20
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-20 08:29
Ain't gonna happen. And has nothing to do with DJI. You CAN get a data dongle from some cell providers to use for data to your RC Pro(maybe RC), but for using cell service for BVLOS control of the drone - no, not gonna happen.

Hi Mobilehomer,

I thought this was due to FCC or something similar having tensions with allowing the dongle , was not thinking in that respect of BVLOS. But would be great to have it enabled just like in some other countries with the end user taking responsibility / maybe signing a waver , which I would greatly sign

Take care, Mike.
2022-12-21
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hallmark007 Posted at 12-20 10:47
Is it under djis control ?

Hi Hallmark,

I think it's under DJI's control to enable it as it works in some regions of the world already, but I am not sure what regulatory issues are preventing DJI from doing it in US / Europe. Maybe it's FCC / CE (which I thought it was) or BVLOS like MobileHomer mentioned.

Take care, Mike.
2022-12-21
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 12-20 23:00
Hi, Mzp. Thank you for your valuable suggestions. Every country has different laws and regulations for communication and radio frequency equipment. DJI is studying the applicability of North America's regulatory requirements to the 4G dongle. Nonetheless, we will forward your voice to our related team for attention. Please stay tuned on our DJI official website (www.dji.com) for any relevant updates. We appreciate your understanding and support. Keep safe.

Thank you Tony, really appreciate your help and forwarding it to the relevant team

Take care, Mike.
2022-12-21
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

Mavic 3 range in FCC mode reach (just hack it if you are in Europe) is just outstanding, and you'll be always bottle necked by the battery, instead of trying to fly with 4G just search for a better takeoff location where you have unobstructed line of sight with the drone all the time, like for example the top of a tall building or the top of a hill.

4G is interesting for VTOLs and fixed wing, but for quads it's just nonsense IMO.
2022-12-21
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Please forgive my ignorance, but I just cannot see why DJI would choose to NOT enable this feature if they can; as it will certainly help them sell a few more drones. As far as I know the only region in which the 4G transmission would work is China. My gut feeling is there must be compliance issues elsewhere other than simply the FCC/CE or the BLOV nonsense. Any DJI drone can go beyond BLOV without 4G. Wondering why DJI has never given us a formal explanation here.
2022-12-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 12-21 12:35
Please forgive my ignorance, but I just cannot see why DJI would choose to NOT enable this feature if they can; as it will certainly help them sell a few more drones. As far as I know the only region in which the 4G transmission would work is China. My gut feeling is there must be compliance issues elsewhere other than simply the FCC/CE or the BLOV nonsense. Any DJI drone can go beyond BLOV without 4G. Wondering why DJI has never given us a formal explanation here.

im going to disagree with you that dji will sell more m3 drones if they enable this feature.  ok, maybe a couple of dozen more.  i need to be educated on this one please since i don't work at dji and have no way of knowing, why does anyone think substantial more drones will be sold if a feature is included?  if that's true, shouldn't it have been included in the first place?  do you know anyone who didn't want the drone but would buy it if this feature is enabled?  what is it about this feature that so important that we are missing?
2022-12-21
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Saint Posted at 12-21 14:04
im going to disagree with you that dji will sell more m3 drones if they enable this feature.  ok, maybe a couple of dozen more.  i need to be educated on this one please since i don't work at dji and have no way of knowing, why does anyone think substantial more drones will be sold if a feature is included?  if that's true, shouldn't it have been included in the first place?  do you know anyone who didn't want the drone but would buy it if this feature is enabled?  what is it about this feature that so important that we are missing?

do you know anyone who didn't want the drone but would buy it if this feature is enabled
I didn't mean DJI will sell a few more drones for including only this particular feature, but any extra feature in general will help. And in fact I do know two people who bought the mavic 3 for its 7x tele camera, and I also know another two who didn't buy the Mavic3 for not having Waypoints and SDK.

what is it about this feature that so important that we are missing
Obviously 4G is not important to some, just like I couldn't care less about Waypoints, or SDK

2022-12-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 12-21 17:30
do you know anyone who didn't want the drone but would buy it if this feature is enabled
I didn't mean DJI will sell a few more drones for including only this particular feature, but any extra feature in general will help. And in fact I do know two people who bought the mavic 3 for its 7x tele camera, and I also know another two who didn't buy the Mavic3 for not having Waypoints and SDK.

yeah agreed, i've seen a few folks on this forum as well who have said they were not going to buy the m3 until it gets waypoints.
2022-12-21
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Mzp Posted at 12-21 06:44
Thank you Tony, really appreciate your help and forwarding it to the relevant team

Take care, Mike.

You're very welcome, Mike. And you as well. Have a nice day!
2022-12-21
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

long before a drone is released they apply for fcc id with us gubbment.  an one person there has actively been making things more difficult for dji.  he is the one that refused to allow the issuance of the fcc id with the dongle active.  unfortunately for us customers, its in the fcc id.  that dongle won't be active unless they settle that regulation.  
2022-12-22
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 12-22 07:46
long before a drone is released they apply for fcc id with us gubbment.  an one person there has actively been making things more difficult for dji.  he is the one that refused to allow the issuance of the fcc id with the dongle active.  unfortunately for us customers, its in the fcc id.  that dongle won't be active unless they settle that regulation.

Yes, that's unfortunate Djiuser. Hopefully this can be settled at some point.

Take care, Mike.
2022-12-23
Use props
djiuser_9XPxXSMK9RLr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7230000 ft
  • >>>
United States

A good point to make here is that Parrot Anafi was able to launch the Anafi Ai in the US. It’s possible that it can be done. It’s not clear if the regulations in the US will not allow DJI to have approval or if DJI simply doesn’t want to get approval for some reason.
2023-10-1
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_9XPxXSMK9RLr Posted at 10-1 19:46
A good point to make here is that Parrot Anafi was able to launch the Anafi Ai in the US. It’s possible that it can be done. It’s not clear if the regulations in the US will not allow DJI to have approval or if DJI simply doesn’t want to get approval for some reason.

Hi Djiuser,

That is interesting. I actually have the DJI 4G LTE dongle and I am pretty sure it has FCC ID stamped
on it along with CE stamp. I am not sure if this relates to LTE dongle being approved by FCC / CE when it's turned off, or maybe it's approved by both FCC and CE, but there are other reasons that we are not aware of that are preventing the use of dongles. Actually I just remembered something, I am able to use the LTE dongle when it's connected to the RC Pro controller, it works as expected and provides internet access for the RC Pro. It is just when the dongle is connected to the drone, in that case enhanced transmission is showing as not available for my geo location. Maybe it's not FCC permits reasons after all, but something else.

Take care, Mike.

2023-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules