RemoteID - a cheap, lightweight solution to not needing your phone
1600 28 2022-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

So its clear the RemoteID requirement isnt going to go away anytime soon...   so I worked around the problem!

I ordered a Palm PVG100 for $45 off Ebay.  This is an ultra small android phone running 8.1.  

Its roughly the same size square as the FPV/Avata battery but only about 5mm thick and ultra light.   I pulled the SIM since no network connection is needed, and via wifi installed the Fly app on it... and after giving it access to the hardware, I am good to go. Screenshot 2022-12-20 131722.jpg

(since I cant post photos that are of any size here, here is a full version  20221220_200515914_iOS.jpg

The goggles do power the phone so its weak battery life isnt a big issue, and it works great.

I am going to 3D design and print a small clip to hold it on the goggle straps like I have the battery clipped to the strap already.   I could also just velcro it to the top or side of the goggles but I dont want it getting in the way of any of the sensors or antennas.

No subscription, no hassle, no need to connect a large expensive phone to the goggles... good to go.  Not only that then you have a small screen on the side of your goggles and people can see what you see
UPDATE: The STL of the design is here for the phone mount on the strap: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5862774   

2022-12-20
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

Awsome solution!!!!!

Btw, can you share the battery clip STL files? i am searching for a good battery clip for the goggles2
2022-12-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks nice!
2022-12-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great idea.  
2022-12-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Awesome DIY solution.  
2022-12-21
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

Here is the mount (the picture of it on the goggles was a first draft, and wide, the new one is narrower and offset to keep the phone off the ear).   Printed in CF Nylon since that is what I normally print with, but can be done easily in PETG or anything that can flex a bit.  it clips the phone on the sides and has a spot for velcro in the back to hold it firmly.

I can get the STL posted if anyone is interested.
2022-12-21_13-57-09.jpg
2022-12-21_14-00-59.jpg
2022-12-21
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

BadBert Posted at 12-20 22:57
Awsome solution!!!!!

Btw, can you share the battery clip STL files?  i am searching for a good battery clip for the goggles2

That battery clip was bought off Amazon!  (somethings are just easier to buy hehe) https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2022-12-21
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

JoeJK3D Posted at 12-21 13:07
That battery clip was bought off Amazon!  (somethings are just easier to buy hehe) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BGJH6T6X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks!
I'll have a look
2022-12-22
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay please forgive me for asking because I'm not 100% knowledgable on how the app works.  The app is installed on the android phone (which you did over WIFI) and you have no cellular coverage, how does this app meet the requirements for RemoteID without a Cellular Connection?   Maybe I'm being thick here but I'm missing a piece to the puzzle.
2023-1-12
Use props
HDPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichfromHowellNJ Posted at 1-12 11:00
Okay please forgive me for asking because I'm not 100% knowledgable on how the app works.  The app is installed on the android phone (which you did over WIFI) and you have no cellular coverage, how does this app meet the requirements for RemoteID without a Cellular Connection?   Maybe I'm being thick here but I'm missing a piece to the puzzle.

it will have GPS (the only thing required for the remote ID) via wi-fi from your cell hot spot

If you have an old smaller cellular will also works, I have an ages old Samsung SCH-1510 almost same size from the device in the photo, you can buy one for $10 on ebay
2023-1-12
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Okay please forgive me for asking because I'm not 100% knowledgable on how the app works.  The app is installed on the android phone (which you did over WIFI) and you have no cellular coverage, how does this app meet the requirements for RemoteID without a Cellular Connection?   Maybe I'm being thick here but I'm missing a piece to the puzzle.

The Standard remote ID spec works over wifi. No need for cellular. (It literally uses WiFi signaling from the drone to broadcast the rID info.) I think it can use cellular also, but not sure on that.... the FAA I think was going to force the internet side also, but ran into some issues getting that approved.
2023-1-12
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

im not sure how this is a work around the problem.  are you just substituting a new "expensive" phone with an old "cheap" phone?  to me, a work around would be using no phone since that was how it worked before rid came along.  am i missing something, does using an old phone off ebay do something that my own phone won't do?  perhaps it doesn't actually transmit rid but works around the connection requirement, is that the work around?  i read up on it again and it sounds like people having a problem with a big phone and you found a tiny one, is that it?  i guess the not needing a phone threw me off.
2023-1-12
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-12 13:56
im not sure how this is a work around the problem.  are you just substituting a new "expensive" phone with an old "cheap" phone?  to me, a work around would be using no phone since that was how it worked before rid came along.  am i missing something, does using an old phone off ebay do something that my own phone won't do?  perhaps it doesn't actually transmit rid but works around the connection requirement, is that the work around?  i read up on it again and it sounds like people having a problem with a big phone and you found a tiny one, is that it?  i guess the not needing a phone threw me off.

Only real workaround would be getting a module that will give the right location data to the headset with needs the app for it.  This is small, cheap, light, and can be packed away with the headset... I never need to get my expensive, heavy, phone out.  its treated just like the battery pack is.   

Its simply a work around from needing to connect your phone to the headset and keeping a small dedicated "module" that happens to be a phone that runs the app automatically when I plug in the headset (or it powers up) and is good to go.
2023-1-12
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

Okay please forgive me for asking because I'm not 100% knowledgable on how the app works.  The app is installed on the android phone (which you did over WIFI) and you have no cellular coverage, how does this app meet the requirements for RemoteID without a Cellular Connection?   Maybe I'm being thick here but I'm missing a piece to the puzzle.

the app only needs location data.  No cell coverage, no wifi.  the phone itself has a GPS/GNSS chipset in it so it can find its own location.  The app then combines that location info with your unique ID/device serial number and that is the Remote ID broadcast the drone will do.   

I just picked the smallest thing I could find that would meet the requirements for cheap and not have me sling an$1000 phone off my headset  (and have the headset try and charge my phone...)   this just gets packed with the headset and is always ready to go.
2023-1-12
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

HDPS Posted at 1-12 12:08
it will have GPS (the only thing required for the remote ID) via wi-fi from your cell hot spot

If you have an old smaller cellular will also works, I have an ages old Samsung SCH-1510 almost same size from the device in the photo, you can buy one for $10 on ebay

As long as its Android 7.1 I believe, I think that is the lowest version the DJI app will work on.   I think that one you mentioned is 2.2 which is far too old to run the DJI fly app.
2023-1-12
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JoeJK3D Posted at 1-12 16:11
Only real workaround would be getting a module that will give the right location data to the headset with needs the app for it.  This is small, cheap, light, and can be packed away with the headset... I never need to get my expensive, heavy, phone out.  its treated just like the battery pack is.   

Its simply a work around from needing to connect your phone to the headset and keeping a small dedicated "module" that happens to be a phone that runs the app automatically when I plug in the headset (or it powers up) and is good to go.

what about plugging in your $1000 phone, lift off, unplug your phone and put it back in your car or someone off your body because it's too big and cumbersome to keep it with you?  can that be done even though you get an error message?  that's what i could call a good workaround if it will work.  are you familiar with this?

otherwise, yeah i guess you can go on ebay and get a cheap lightweight phone and install fly app and use it; i have some old phones laying around maybe i'll try those.
2023-1-12
Use props
gbaum.paintballphotography
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18308950 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-12 16:31
what about plugging in your $1000 phone, lift off, unplug your phone and put it back in your car or someone off your body because it's too big and cumbersome to keep it with you?  can that be done even though you get an error message?  that's what i could call a good workaround if it will work.  are you familiar with this?

otherwise, yeah i guess you can go on ebay and get a cheap lightweight phone and install fly app and use it; i have some old phones laying around maybe i'll try those.

Can you share the can you share the Palm PVG100 phone clip STL file? :-)
2023-1-14
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

gbaum.paintballphotography Posted at 1-14 17:26

i dont have it but someone else in this thread indicated they might share it
2023-1-14
Use props
ro_walker
Second Officer
Brazil

Awsome solution!!!!!
2023-1-15
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

gbaum.paintballphotography Posted at 1-14 17:26

Yup I’ll get it posted I. The next day or so.
2023-1-15
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

otherwise, yeah i guess you can go on ebay and get a cheap lightweight phone and install fly app and use it; i have some old phones laying around maybe i'll try those.

Plugging in the phone and taking off then unplugging seems to work… for now. You do have a nice annoying “RemoteID error” prompt on the screen the whole time then.   If you land you need to do it all over again to take back off… it’s just annoying.  

So, cheap / small phone ftw
2023-1-15
Use props
djiuser_jcNmuXuFhgEX
New

United States

that little phone works with DJI FLY ?!?!?!?
2023-1-21
Use props
Fpvskip
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52772 ft
United States

Well, I searched Amazon and eBay about this phone. The cheapest one I could get was 90 bucks.(refurbished) where did you find one for 45 bucks?Is there any other phone that would work?
2023-1-25
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

yeah seems the seller I grabbed mine from for $45 sold out.   But I've seen them come back up a few times near that.  so, keep an eye out.
2023-1-25
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

djiuser_jcNmuXuFhgEX Posted at 1-21 20:04
that little phone works with DJI FLY ?!?!?!?

Yup! even updated the firmware on my drone and goggles with it    And the perk that it shows the live video while you are flying is nice.
2023-1-25
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

I posted the STL of the PVG100 mount here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5862774

Enjoy!
2023-2-18
Use props
djiuser_8qKFcONvJyXs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 403133 ft
United States

Its crazy the system even needs the phone - the drone has GPS - This is just a workaround until they adjust the flight controller hardware / software to be better at delivering RID Requirements IMHO.  

My Mav Mini requires my phone to fly so as long as the remote or goggles can charge the phone I am fine.

I usually have an older crappy phone anyway that needs that charge by the remote to stay on all day flying but this is annoying as if the DJI app crashes then you get the remote ID Error in the googles.

Hoping this remote ID gets easier as this is currently the only drone i have that is "Compliant"
2023-2-18
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

You can score some PVG 100's here for ~ $65USD : https://www.ebay.com/itm/3851429 ... kp%3ABk9SR-z00bDqYQ

2023-4-5
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

and turns out you can update this device all the way to Android 12 now.  
2023-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules