Flight Planning for solar inspections
1603 10 2022-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb29817c1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 544081 ft
United States

Looking to use the M3T for Solar Inspections. Currently using the Inspire 1 with the XT 640 19MM and setting up the mapping missions in GSPro. Here is my current issue with using the M3T in the same capacity. I can set up the grid mission without a problem. I can also change the flight pattern so it is parallel with the solar array installation. In order to have the optimal angle of the camera during the flight I need to change the orientation of the drone 90 degrees so I can change the angle of the camera to be perpendicular to the panels. Simply speaking, the drone will be flying sideway during the mission. This type of flight can be set up fairly easy in GSPro but I cant seem to do it in Pilot 2. There are some users that are using a waypoint mission and changing the heading in the waypoint mission but to do this for a large site is extremely time consuming. Any assistance would be appreciated.

2022-12-20
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

With UGCS it is possible. You add a camera action at the beginning of the flight plan so that it remains in a precise orientation throughout the flight.
2022-12-20
Use props
fansb29817c1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 544081 ft
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-20 14:41
With UGCS it is possible. You add a camera action at the beginning of the flight plan so that it remains in a precise orientation throughout the flight.

Great. I just went to UGCS to take a look. Thank you! I'll give this a try tomorrow.
2022-12-20
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

fansb29817c1 Posted at 12-20 14:45
Great. I just went to UGCS to take a look. Thank you! I'll give this a try tomorrow.

UGCS yaw.JPG
Click on "change Yaw"
Set it "relative to North"
Choose your yaw angle

2022-12-20
Use props
djiuser_5qhQmvGkkSke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103852 ft
Czechia

Hi, have you figured out how to change the orientation? I am dealing with it too and I do not want to pay another app..
2023-1-23
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

djiuser_5qhQmvGkkSke Posted at 1-23 06:35
Hi, have you figured out how to change the orientation? I am dealing with it too and I do not want to pay another app..

I move it manually before each flight line...time / attention consuming but no extra cost :-)
2023-1-23
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

djiuser_5qhQmvGkkSke Posted at 1-23 06:35

I agree with Arnor, if you don't want a third party app, your only option is to push the Yaw to reach the right direction. To be done at the end of the bend.

The risk is to have blurred photos, but it does not matter, take a bit of margin and you erase everything that is in turn by selecting them in your photogrammetry software before processing, if you use such software of course .

Here is example with Metashape :

T3.JPG

2023-1-23
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

LV_Forestry Posted at 1-23 22:57
I agree with Arnor, if you don't want a third party app, your only option is to push the Yaw to reach the right direction. To be done at the end of the bend.

The risk is to have blurred photos, but it does not matter, take a bit of margin and you erase everything that is in turn by selecting them in your photogrammetry software before processing, if you use such software of course .

The crap about the manual solution is when you have both the pitch and yaw...and you try to get the same angle over the flight lines...I add a buffer of 10m but I go slow.
2023-1-24
Use props
Eric40
lvl.1

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 2022-12-20 14:52
[view_image]
Click on "change Yaw"
Set it "relative to North"
[Image]
This is not in l pilot 2?? I am having same problem I'm really surprised that you can't just have the ability change the yaw or have the Drone  be able to strafe parallel to the solar panels in. pilot 2.. DJI are you listening.. Lol.. I understand you can do it in the way point setting but for a large field it would be timely. I wonder if you can add the waypoints into the map and then change the orientation by doing it that way I guess the only way to figure out is get my butt out there and experiment. I thought there would have been simple sensor direction setting. I'm still really amazed with the drone and its abilities, I kind of felt a little let down that I wouldn't fly any of the missions at all so if I have to make a little turn every now and then that's not too bad either haha, next thing you know AI will be doing it and will be out of a job... Poop I just started
2023-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Second Officer
Latvia

Eric40 Posted at 5-16 16:07
This is not in l pilot 2?? I am having same problem I'm really surprised that you can't just have the ability change the yaw or have the Drone  be able to strafe parallel to the solar panels in. pilot 2.. DJI are you listening.. Lol.. I understand you can do it in the way point setting but for a large field it would be timely. I wonder if you can add the waypoints into the map and then change the orientation by doing it that way I guess the only way to figure out is get my butt out there and experiment. I thought there would have been simple sensor direction setting. I'm still really amazed with the drone and its abilities, I kind of felt a little let down that I wouldn't fly any of the missions at all so if I have to make a little turn every now and then that's not too bad either haha, next thing you know AI will be doing it and will be out of a job... Poop I just started

No it is UGCS, a third party flight planning software.
Try before you rush to buy because it is a software in my opinion not very user friendly and full of bugs. But when you master it, it does the job.
2023-5-16
Use props
ContraSpec
lvl.1

South Africa

Eric40 Posted at 5-16 16:07
This is not in l pilot 2?? I am having same problem I'm really surprised that you can't just have the ability change the yaw or have the Drone  be able to strafe parallel to the solar panels in. pilot 2.. DJI are you listening.. Lol.. I understand you can do it in the way point setting but for a large field it would be timely. I wonder if you can add the waypoints into the map and then change the orientation by doing it that way I guess the only way to figure out is get my butt out there and experiment. I thought there would have been simple sensor direction setting. I'm still really amazed with the drone and its abilities, I kind of felt a little let down that I wouldn't fly any of the missions at all so if I have to make a little turn every now and then that's not too bad either haha, next thing you know AI will be doing it and will be out of a job... Poop I just started

this feature is in Pilot 2, i just got my M3T, and flown a test today, and it works fine.

workflow  >>
*  create map
*  select the camera
*  set the safe take off parameters
*  set the flight parameters as required
##  ADJUST COURSE ANGLE  >> perpendicular to the panels
*** ADVANCED SETTINGS  ***
*  adjust the overlap ratios for your mission
*  SELECT CUSTOM CAMERA ANGLE
###  AIRCRAFT ROTATE  >> adjust to angle of panels to magnetic north  <<
2023-8-28
Use props