A Piece of Gear
748 11 2022-12-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Unveiled at last, the camera dolly I've been putting together to get better camera movement control in shallow underwater and also very low POV land based videos that I needed.
Attached to the rig in the pix submitted here are the Osmo Pocket pointing forwards but it can be rotated to do side travel pans, etc. This camera is not used for underwater takes. And the Action 2, just the camera module. This too can be placed on any number of go-pro mount fix points of course. I also have an underwater casing for the Action 2 but either way, it is this camera that does the underwater work.
The long handle is what you walk behind and control the path of the dolly with the appropriate camera attached and angled as needed.
The wheels need to be of a size that does not get stuck easily in the underwater sands.
A curious observer had a good look at my rig, he'd watched me wading around and needed to know. He ended up making an offer on the thing.
Curious observers come with the territory of DJI products I've found.

Three pix to follow. Underwater screen grabs already posted in other threads.

2022-12-20
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

2022-12-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks interesting.
How does it keep stable when the ground is uneven?
2022-12-20
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Montfrooij Posted at 12-20 23:37
Looks interesting.
How does it keep stable when the ground is uneven?

There's no gimbal or z-axis movement dampers. With waves and currents its up to the driver to attempt any stability. And a good degree of control can be achieved. Such movements that are beyond full control are Ok for my purposes.
A real dolly would be on a hydraulic weighted counter balance with either laid rails or otherwise dead flat smooth surface to run over plus several axis gimbals.
My tests suggest that rather than the stability of a single locked down post, forward and side pans in somewhat erratic motion forward etc., were far more interesting than the static aquarium pov.
2022-12-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Neico Posted at 12-21 00:50
There's no gimbal or z-axis movement dampers. With waves and currents its up to the driver to attempt any stability. And a good degree of control can be achieved. Such movements that are beyond full control are Ok for my purposes.
A real dolly would be on a hydraulic weighted counter balance with either laid rails or otherwise dead flat smooth surface to run over plus several axis gimbals.
My tests suggest that rather than the stability of a single locked down post, forward and side pans in somewhat erratic motion forward etc., were far more interesting than the static aquarium pov.

Looking forward to seeing some video!
2022-12-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also curious to see some video.  
2022-12-21
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 12-21 02:13
Also curious to see some video.

1 x 350Mb MP4 file attempted but thrown out - format not supported.
Have no way to get a vid to the Forum, sorry.
Very low res. Normally work at 1080 which is good enough for me.
2022-12-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Neico Posted at 12-21 07:10
1 x 350Mb MP4 file attempted but thrown out - format not supported.
Have no way to get a vid to the Forum, sorry.
Very low res. Normally work at 1080 which is good enough for me.

We normally use YouTube or the free sky pixel account thats linked to your DJI account,  both allow embedding here.
2022-12-22
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 12-22 01:38
We normally use YouTube or the free sky pixel account thats linked to your DJI account,  both allow embedding here.

Of course. I was asleep at the wheel. Thanks for that Captain. Cant get to it at the moment but will sort it sometime soon.
2022-12-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Neico Posted at 12-22 06:24
Of course. I was asleep at the wheel. Thanks for that Captain. Cant get to it at the moment but will sort it sometime soon.

No worries.   
2022-12-22
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

Sorted. A random cut just over a minute from the just completed work. DREAMING WATER ON WATER.
Had great issues getting the sound right. Near two hour playing time. Very happy with the result.
On to the next one now using film from a high tide excursion in the sea yesterday.DJI ACTION 2 - on the home made dolly.
Possibly not very much of an idea about result so will do another cut at better resolution.
Link is -

2022-12-22
Use props
Neico
lvl.3
  • >>>
New Zealand

SECOND CUT from DREAMING.
221220 DJI 0769 BBB cut DREAMING

2022-12-22
Use props
Advanced