Focus issue
2125 38 2022-12-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

Hi, I bought osmo action 3 a week ago and I realized soon that something was wrong, then I read everywhere about focus issue. It seems it really diffuse for units manufactured in 22/9.
So I contacted support that asked me for a video that you can find here, for DJI the cam is ok. They replaced the unit to a friend of mine, I see his video and that's actually the same issue.
After a first experience with support when they destroyed my action one (here), I'm now really annoyed by this behaviour.

Any suggestion?

2022-12-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I just read the thread you had with your OA1, and it's sad to see that they didn't replaced your unit or gave you a bigger discount for OA3.

About the focus issue with your OA3, you should probably record some videos outside in good light, or atleast record videos where you use ISO 100 (native ISO) for best results to check for bad focus or not.

From the first look at your video, it didn't look bad. But I just had a quick look.
2022-12-21
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

johansenfoto Posted at 12-21 22:40
I just read the thread you had with your OA1, and it's sad to see that they didn't replaced your unit or gave you a bigger discount for OA3.

About the focus issue with your OA3, you should probably record some videos outside in good light, or atleast record videos where you use ISO 100 (native ISO) for best results to check for bad focus or not.

From by previous experience I got a 150€ coupon to buy a defective camera, I'm really angry for this.

I sent them this video because they requested a video with these settings:

1) ISO: 100-200;
2) EV: 0; Make sure that the ambient brightness is bright enough;
3) FOV: Wide
4) Resolution/Frame Rate: 16:9 & Steady Disabled & 4K25 or 4K30;
5) Fixed Capturing: Make sure that the camera and outer box remain fixed during capturing.

When shooting video, try to have the subject near and far from camera to see if there is a difference
2022-12-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

sgk381 Posted at 12-21 22:50
From by previous experience I got a 150€ coupon to buy a defective camera, I'm really angry for this.

I sent them this video because they requested a video with these settings:

Your video is not in 4K so it's not easy to see the sharpness.

But if you check out some of the other threads here you will see how people did their tests
2022-12-21
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

johansenfoto Posted at 12-21 23:05
Your video is not in 4K so it's not easy to see the sharpness.

But if you check out some of the other threads here you will see how people did their tests

It is in 4k.
2022-12-21
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Not on the site while trying to watch it.

2022-12-21
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, there. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check this problem and reply to you asap.
2022-12-21
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

It doesn't make sense, the famous video makers in our forum only use 720p. Take an example from them!
2022-12-21
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

Kamen666 Posted at 12-21 23:59
It doesn't make sense, the famous video makers in our forum only use 720p. Take an example from them!

I just made a video with settings suggested by dji. Maybe you lost this part.
2022-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Try making some activity outdoor footage and see how it performs.
Like something you would film normally with this camera.
This is after all an action camera, so I guess you will be using it to capture something that is a bit further away.
From what I see in your video, the first part looks ok. (hard to judge with the lower resolution, but it looks ok to me).
2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

Montfrooij Posted at 12-22 00:25
Try making some activity outdoor footage and see how it performs.
Like something you would film normally with this camera.
This is after all an action camera, so I guess you will be using it to capture something that is a bit further away.

But with osmo action 1 I was able to capture underwater images with fishes a very close distance.
That's the way I use it, so if it isn't able to do that that's a problem, further it seems that some units have this issues and some other not, the bad thing is that Dji doesn't want to admit there is an issue. I know a guy that bought 4 units and only one over 4 is ok.
2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 12-21 23:44
Hi, there. We are sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We will check this problem and reply to you asap.

I hope so because sorry but I don't have trust in your support anymore after my last experience.
2022-12-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:33
But with osmo action 1 I was able to capture underwater images with fishes a very close distance.
That's the way I use it, so if it isn't able to do that that's a problem, further it seems that some units have this issues and some other not, the bad thing is that Dji doesn't want to admit there is an issue. I know a guy that bought 4 units and only one over 4 is ok.

Yeah, in that case, that is a thing.
Minimum focus is 30cm with the OA3 (that is what I read) and there has been a clear case where a guy made the OA3 focus perfectly by changing the lens position.
So it seems like there are batches out there that have misaligned lenses.
My point is more that the 'intended' use of an action camera is most of the time not about capturing something close to the lens and people get super picky about this focus thing while it is probably no real issue for them.
Not saying that it should not live up to the 30cm, it should do that of course.
2022-12-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:33
That's the way I use it, so if it isn't able to do that that's a problem, further it seems that some units have this issues and some other not, the bad thing is that Dji doesn't want to admit there is an issue. I know a guy that bought 4 units and only one over 4 is ok.

I haven't seen a serial one with a "sharp" photo at 30 cm. There are some units very bad, up to 09/22 and newer they are sharp, but not from 30cm, not even close and in infinity they are sharper than the competition, so I recommend switching from fishbowls to drones
2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

StevoB Posted at 12-22 00:39
I haven't seen a serial one with a "sharp" photo at 30 cm. There are some units very bad, up to 09/22 and newer they are sharp, but not from 30cm, not even close and in infinity they are sharper than the competition, so I recommend switching from fishbowls to drones

So the question is: why I can't have a sharp unit? My money was different from someone who got a better unit?
2022-12-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:45
So the question is: why I can't have a sharp unit? My money was different from someone who got a better unit?

I won't answer this. But the fact that they rushed to release OA3 because of GP11 is...
I think if they released it a few months later and tweaked it, youtube would be full of only positive results from everyone, not just paid "testers" and it would be the new king of action cams.
2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

StevoB Posted at 12-22 00:39
I haven't seen a serial one with a "sharp" photo at 30 cm. There are some units very bad, up to 09/22 and newer they are sharp, but not from 30cm, not even close and in infinity they are sharper than the competition, so I recommend switching from fishbowls to drones

This a frame of a video of this summer from a osmo action 1, as you can see the cam is actually really close to the object and you can still read the text "spider man". And consider it is a frame captured with a screenshot from vlc.
2022-12-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:52
[view_image]

This a frame of a video of this summer from a osmo action 1, as you can see the cam is actually really close to the object and you can still read the text "spider man". And consider it is a frame captured with a screenshot from vlc.

If you still have a soft background, you have the worst variant sold here.
In general, where many people take a bath, there is also an almost greasy glass from creams.....my own experience
2022-12-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Osmo Action 1 is slightly better close up than the OA3. I still never really found my OA1 great though when it was turned on me on a stick. Always had to hold it further away. The OA3 is worse.

What really highlights it is when you have a relatively sharp, detailed background and you look almost 3d (popping out of the picture) because you are right on the edge of decent focus.....

2022-12-22
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:52
[view_image]

But not a Action 3.  
What StevoB meant was that he didn't see any Action 3 which had good focus at 30cm directly from the factory.
What helps is to turn the lens slightly CCW and then fine tune it with test photos.
Take a look here

Tutorial how to fix the Osmo Action 3 focus issue in 5 Minutes
2022-12-22
Use props
Kamen666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246194 ft
Bulgaria

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:01
I just made a video with settings suggested by dji. Maybe you lost this part.

No, I was just kidding. Nothing personal, maybe you haven't come across the instructive posts of the two gentlemen yet
2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

Iancraig10 Posted at 12-22 00:55
The Osmo Action 1 is slightly better close up than the OA3. I still never really found my OA1 great though when it was turned on me on a stick. Always had to hold it further away. The OA3 is worse.

What really highlights it is when you have a relatively sharp, detailed background and you look almost 3d (popping out of the picture) because you are right on the edge of decent focus.....

I don't understand your point.
I there are some units with perfect focus why I should arrange with one "on the edge of a perfect focus"?
2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

JustName Posted at 12-22 01:10
But not a Action 3.  
What StevoB meant was that he didn't see any Action 3 which had good focus at 30cm directly from the factory.
What helps is to turn the lens slightly CCW and then fine tune it with test photos.

Sorry but I don't want to put my hands on a unit that I own since a few days.
2022-12-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 01:51
I there are some units with perfect focus why I should arrange with one "on the edge of a perfect focus"?

You posted an Action 1 picture which looks sharper.

I found the A1 sharper at closer quarters than the A3 which is right on the edge, even at their stated 0.3m close focus.

The A3 won’t focus quite as close as an A1 so a few guys have adjusted the lens themselves as a result of multiple replacements. I understand you not wanting to do a 'fix' on a new camera though. Much like me.
2022-12-22
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Here find you sharpen AO3 (do it yourself) Read everything.
2022-12-22
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 01:51
I there are some units with perfect focus why I should arrange with one "on the edge of a perfect focus"?

There are NO Osmo Action 3 units with perfect focus straight from factory. There are some with better, some with worse focus, but no one with perfect focus.

There are also a lot of people with multiple replacements by DJI-Support, i did also replaced my A3 twice, so at the end i did adjusted the lens on my third A3.
2022-12-22
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

If you check out some of the other threads here, you will find out that most of us here on this forum have/had bad calibrated OA3 cameras. Some fixed themself, while other got new replacement with both good and bad experience after some replacements.
Me personally bought the first batch made in August and got a replacement ment in November with good focus (or atleast good for what I use it for).

2022-12-22
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

johansenfoto Posted at 12-22 07:22
If you check out some of the other threads here, you will find out that most of us here on this forum have/had bad calibrated OA3 cameras. Some fixed themself, while other got new replacement with both good and bad experience after some replacements.
Me personally bought the first batch made in August and got a replacement ment in November with good focus (or atleast good for what I use it for).

I have sent it back today. I'll let you know any news.
2022-12-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

sgk381 Posted at 12-22 00:34
I hope so because sorry but I don't have trust in your support anymore after my last experience.

Hi, there.
We noticed that you have contacted us on Twitter as well.
We have replied to your questions there, could you please have a look?
Thank you very much in advance.
2022-12-23
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 2022-12-23 18:36
Hi, there.
We noticed that you have contacted us on Twitter as well.
We have replied to your questions there, could you please have a look?

Update: Dji offered me a free repair (lens replacement). So actually the lens doesn't work as well.
I don't understand why they don't replace the unit. Why I should accept a repaired unit that I used for 2 days? What do you think about?
2023-1-2
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

sgk381 Posted at 1-2 07:42
Update: Dji offered me a free repair (lens replacement). So actually the lens doesn't work as well.
I don't understand why they don't replace the unit. Why I should accept a repaired unit that I used for 2 days? What do you think about?

My opinion: If they sent you a new boxed unit, it would first be the same as you sent, large stock with units out of focus. The fact that they send you the original one with a changed lens probably means that finally someone started physically repairing it, basically just fine-tuning the lens by turning it, but with a manufacturer's warranty. So be glad that they will probably fix it to your satisfaction in the end, as it looks like in your case so far. We were not so lucky and went to Do It Yourself...
2023-1-2
Use props
sgk381
lvl.2

Italy

StevoB Posted at 1-2 08:00
My opinion: If they sent you a new boxed unit, it would first be the same as you sent, large stock with units out of focus. The fact that they send you the original one with a changed lens probably means that finally someone started physically repairing it, basically just fine-tuning the lens by turning it, but with a manufacturer's warranty. So be glad that they will probably fix it to your satisfaction in the end, as it looks like in your case so far. We were not so lucky and went to Do It Yourself...

You're right and actually I thought about this but I hope they will change the lens with a fixed one and not only a new one.
2023-1-2
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

sgk381 Posted at 1-2 08:09
You're right and actually I thought about this but I hope they will change the lens with a fixed one and not only a new one.

You'll see, we'll see.
2023-1-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

sgk381 Posted at 1-2 08:09
You're right and actually I thought about this but I hope they will change the lens with a fixed one and not only a new one.

What he says is total and utter BS DJI will not just return the product you sent them . Read your warranty and it will explain exactly your entitlement as per your contract. A REPLACEMENT NEW OR REFURBISHED AS NEW PRODUCT. Stevo is and has been lying without any foundation to all forum members here for no reason except to troll. If I’m wrong then it will easily be proven in your return. He says you’ll get same product returned, I guarantee you will get a product with a different SN proving StevoB is once again lying without any foundation and he has nothing to base any facts on the lies he keeps repeating to all forum members here. I just hope you post exactly what you received in return for your faulty product at least it will show up StevoB for the troll he really is. Please post…
Just as a BTW why not ask StevoB to show you how he changed the focus of his OA3 my guess is he will tell you he cannot show you , because he didn't change the focus of the lens . Strange how he would ask others to do what he hasn't done himself....
2023-1-2
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-2 15:53
What he says is total and utter BS DJI will not just return the product you sent them . Read your warranty and it will explain exactly your entitlement as per your contract. A REPLACEMENT NEW OR REFURBISHED AS NEW PRODUCT. Stevo is and has been lying without any foundation to all forum members here for no reason except to troll. If I’m wrong then it will easily be proven in your return. He says you’ll get same product returned, I guarantee you will get a product with a different SN proving StevoB is once again lying without any foundation and he has nothing to base any facts on the lies he keeps repeating to all forum members here. I just hope you post exactly what you received in return for your faulty product at least it will show up StevoB for the troll he really is. Please post…
Just as a BTW why not ask StevoB to show you how he changed the focus of his OA3 my guess is he will tell you he cannot show you , because he didn't change the focus of the lens . Strange how he would ask others to do what he hasn't done himself....

Does it really matter as long as he gets a fixed camera?
2023-1-2
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Hallmark007 Posted at 1-2 15:53
What he says is total and utter BS DJI will not just return the product you sent them . Read your warranty and it will explain exactly your entitlement as per your contract. A REPLACEMENT NEW OR REFURBISHED AS NEW PRODUCT. Stevo is and has been lying without any foundation to all forum members here for no reason except to troll. If I’m wrong then it will easily be proven in your return. He says you’ll get same product returned, I guarantee you will get a product with a different SN proving StevoB is once again lying without any foundation and he has nothing to base any facts on the lies he keeps repeating to all forum members here. I just hope you post exactly what you received in return for your faulty product at least it will show up StevoB for the troll he really is. Please post…

I wrote my opinion, not that it will be like that. So don't take words out of context, like you keep doing when you put together your deceitful and insulting strategy, grandpa. You also wrote and still stand by it that FW solved soft focus and only those who don't own OA3 believe you, liar.
2023-1-2
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

StevoB Posted at 1-2 23:08
I wrote my opinion, not that it will be like that. So don't take words out of context, like you keep doing when you put together your deceitful and insulting strategy, grandpa. You also wrote and still stand by it that FW solved soft focus and only those who don't own OA3 believe you, liar.

I didn’t write anything of the sort. I said FW updates improved the camera greatly. It’s strange why you keep referring to people in a derogatory manner as grandpa have you a problem with ageism..
2023-1-3
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Blimey Stevo, I hope not….. I’m hitting 69 this month and you speak to me ok. Hahaha

BTW, I assume ‘grandpa’ was offered up because the accusation of ‘liar’ and 'troll' preceded it………
I don't blame you.
2023-1-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

sgk381 Posted at 1-2 07:42

Hi, there. Thanks for your update.
We have checked your case and now it is under test procedure already, please don't worry, and if you meet any problems, you can contact us here anytime.
Thank you again for your patience and understanding.
2023-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules