Master Airscrew props for the M3P trigger rear vision system
2850 21 2022-12-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

FYI I swapped out the props on my M3P with the Master Airscrew stealth props and while I dont think they do much to make it quieter, or give more flight time,  they also trigger the rear vision system.  When hovering you will see a slight yellow "radar" indicator on the screen showing they are being detected slightly.   Then when trying to fly backwards around anything the drone will not allow it as the interference from the rear props give it enough vision indication that it just stops.

YMMV, but I am going back to the stock DJI props as it caused me a bit of an issue, and I also noticed a bit of a vibration that I didnt have before in some video.   
2022-12-22
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the heads up.  I have not swapped to the MAS props yet, but will know what to look for if this happens to me once I do.  Incidentally, what color did you go with?
2022-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Using non-OEM props is just stupid and dangerous.
2022-12-22
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 12-22 10:43
Thanks for the heads up.  I have not swapped to the MAS props yet, but will know what to look for if this happens to me once I do.  Incidentally, what color did you go with?

Orange and Black, and  (kitty corner) so the color doesnt matter.
2022-12-22
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-22 10:51
Using non-OEM props is just stupid and dangerous.

Fair,  and I'd agree in most cases. Master Airscrew has been making high end props for longer than DJI has been in existence, so they have some pedigree.   But point taken.     It was an inexpensive test worth a try if they were quieter and more efficient.
2022-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JoeJK3D Posted at 12-22 10:58
Fair,  and I'd agree in most cases. Master Airscrew has been making high end props for longer than DJI has been in existence, so they have some pedigree.   But point taken.     It was an inexpensive test worth a try if they were quieter and more efficient.

To add some bits to my short point saying it's dangerous.

DJI build their props to work exactly with the battery and ESC combination. Their R&D most probably aims to give people the longest flight time they can achieve. Using 3rd party props will cause the ESCs to behave differently and may cause the drone to not fly as efficiently as before, leading to bad data being fed back to the computer. So you might think that you've got 22% battery and need to fly half a mile, but the 3rd party props are going to overly stress the ESCs and cause a large voltage drop and potentially not get your drone home in time.

Last of all, any warranty you thought you had, will not be honoured if anything goes wrong with the drone.
2022-12-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-22 11:35
To add some bits to my short point saying it's dangerous.

DJI build their props to work exactly with the battery and ESC combination. Their R&D most probably aims to give people the longest flight time they can achieve. Using 3rd party props will cause the ESCs to behave differently and may cause the drone to not fly as efficiently as before, leading to bad data being fed back to the computer. So you might think that you've got 22% battery and need to fly half a mile, but the 3rd party props are going to overly stress the ESCs and cause a large voltage drop and potentially not get your drone home in time.

that's ridiculous, sir.
2022-12-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

2022-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 12-22 11:45
that's ridiculous, sir.

Why? You can't assert that point without some kind of proof.
2022-12-22
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-22 11:50

nothing to prove, my warranty is fine.

it's the holidays, no mood to argue.  anyone else want to chime in and support the cloud and his assertions about the props?
2022-12-22
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 12-22 11:50

Neither can you. MAS has been around a lot longer than DJI and manufactures the finest props available for RC, yes, that does include drones.
2022-12-22
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-22 13:25
Neither can you. MAS has been around a lot longer than DJI and manufactures the finest props available for RC, yes, that does include drones.

At least I gave my points above. They aren't OEM and therefore not tuned to work as efficiently as the ones which DJI make.
2022-12-22
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We do not recommend using third-party propellers, which have not been tested by DJI, and flight safety cannot be guaranteed. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-12-22
Use props
Bill Adama
lvl.4
Flight distance : 515190 ft
United Kingdom

The DJI ones seem to work ok.

Thanks for trying the masterscrew though.
2022-12-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

JoeJK3D Posted at 12-22 10:56
Orange and Black, and  (kitty corner) so the color doesnt matter.

The color always matters!  It's all about fashion!  : )

I was not suggesting the color being the reason for the detection by the OA sensors.  I was just being nosy about the colors you ordered.  : )
2022-12-23
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1939127 ft
Canada

I have tried the Master Airscrew props and have run a fairly extensive test on them comparing sound and performance with the DJI oem props. I haven't crunched all the numbers or edited the video yet but will post here when it's completed.
I do have some results to share with you today. I tried to eliminate as many variable as I could and these are just my results. Your results may vary.
I ordered one set of orange and one set of green. I put orange on the left and green on the right.I didnt have any issues with the rear vision system and they seemed to be running smoothly with no vibration.

I ordered the props after seeing Captain Drones Video (linked above in this thread) a few weeks ago and liked the idea of a lower sound pitch and  possibly even quieter drone.

First off I'll say I love the colors. When in flight, in most light conditions they are much more visible than the DJI props. I was even able to see the colors beyond 150 Meters and with the green on the right and orange on the left I could see the orientation of the drone at a glance.

When I first put the props on I noticed they fit very well and went on without issue other than the nail biter operation of turning those tiny screws.

The Master Airscrew props weigh more than the DJI props and the tips are more flexible than the DJI props. I weighed them in pairs on a very accurate scale ( .01g) that I calibrated prior to the weighing.
DJI pair1- 1.89 g, pair 2- 1.87g, pair 3 - 1.88g, pair 4 - 1.86g -DJI total prop weight 7.5grams -/ Master Airscrew both green pairs 2.18g and both orange pairs 2.14 grams. MA total prop weight 8.64 grams.
The master airscrew props I used were 1.14 grams heavier than the DJI props. This might become an issue in staying under 250 grams depending on filters and weights of batteries as I have one regular battery that weighs 1.2 grams more than the other 2 regular batteries. If I use a CPL filter with that battery and the MA props I go slightly over 250 grams.
I did a hover battery endurance  test in my garage to keep the variables to a minimum. Measured decibels and pitch with my phone at a consistent measured distance.
Ran the DJI prop test twice and also twice for the Master airscrews. The first test was with one fully charged battery ( #3) for each brand of propeller (recharged fully and let battery rest for several hours between props) and then repeated with another battery ( #2) for both sets of props.
I used the flight log CSV spreadsheet to get the time stamps and battery percentages. Measured the time between 96% battery down to 20% battery on all tests.
Stock props test 1 (Battery 3)- 22 minutes Test 2 (Battery 2) - 21 minute 52 seconds. Master Airscrew Test 1 ( Battery3) 21 minutes 18 seconds, Test 2 (Battery 2) 20 min 58 seconds.
Both tests with different batteries showed the Master Airscrew props had approximately 4% shorter hover time between 96 and 20% battery .
DB tests were average 54.3 DB for the Master Airscrew props on both tests and 53.4 DB for the DJI props.  Tone was 215 hz for the DJI props and 217 hz for the Master airscrew props.
So unfortunately my results have the Master Airscrew props behind the DJI props in both noise level and pitch as well as battery endurance in hover. Also the heavier weight putting the drone over 250 g with certain configurations.I did some acceleration tests verticaly and horizontaly but havent got the numbers yet.
I am disappointed because I really like the color but have gone back to the DJI props.

20221214_142431.jpg
2022-12-23
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

already have the orange, think i will buy the green too

im not flying the drone in a test tube so a couple seconds of more flight time and an one additional db on a drone that is nowhere near me isn't going to make a difference for me.

thanks for taking the time to test and share your results.  no plans to install these new props until next spring.
2022-12-23
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

I have not found the MAS props to increase flight time, however I can always count on the sound being less shrill.  I generally find the MAS props to be a great add to any of my drones and have never had an issue with them.  I think worrying about them impacting warranty is a touch silly.  When I have to send a drone in for service, there is usually not much left of the props to send in anyways.  : )
2022-12-23
Use props
Tanasit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 145509 ft
United States

RE: MRDroneRookie

Thanks for the informative test and judging from your post I think you are NOT "MRDroneRookie" at all.
Should edit the word "Rookie"

2022-12-27
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Cool idea; but personally do not see the point in this. You will possibly drop the battery life, did you test this or? How is it going?
2022-12-27
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1939127 ft
Canada

primeshooter Posted at 12-27 07:41
Cool idea; but personally do not see the point in this. You will possibly drop the battery life, did you test this or? How is it going?

Hi primeshooter.
As I stated in my post above I did test the battery duration in hover in my closed garage and the Master Airscrew props showed approximately 4% shorter hover duration between 96% and 20% battery. Test repeated twice with two different batteries.
2022-12-27
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

MRDroneRookie Posted at 12-27 08:04
Hi primeshooter.
As I stated in my post above I did test the battery duration in hover in my closed garage and the Master Airscrew props showed approximately 4% shorter hover duration between 96% and 20% battery. Test repeated twice with two different batteries.

Sorry I skimmed. But what is the point in lighting up the drone more? I see you have now went back to standard props though.
2022-12-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules