Install a TILE on the Phantom
4453 11 2014-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

I have bought some Tiles which I have attached to my keys etc and want to fix the last one to my Phantom.

If you have not heard of them go to https://www.thetileapp.com/

They work on Bluetooth so my question is would they cause a problem to the Phantoms systems in any way?

In addition I am asking all you tech loving people (in Australia) to download the App (you dont need to have a Tile/s to run the App) and run it so if I lose my Phantom you will be helping me find it without even knowing it !

Regards

Guy MacDonald

2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

I only have the FC40 Phantom, which is an updated P1. Doesnt your P2+ have a "Find my Drone" option? I thought they did.
However..I just bought the TK102.  Its a very small GPS tracker that runs off a cell phone Sim card.  Ive read a lot of success stories about it but I havent tried it yet.  My cost was $24 USD.

2014-12-5
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Yes the Phantom 2 does have a find me option, but from my experience (which is small) knowing where it went down and where is actually is are miles apart.  This thing beeps = found Phantom (i like the idea of this).

Will it affect the flight, I don't know. I watched the video and was going to buy one untill they wanted $14 to ship it to me.
2014-12-5
Use props
whyley27
lvl.2

United Kingdom

i dont think this will cause any problems bud..

i have a loc8tor on my phantom and hasnt missed a beat yet..

if its not active , it shouldnt be a problem only when your PV2 goes walkabout
2014-12-5
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

I have a few of the Tiles on various items. They're just OK. Don't rely on the beeping from them...you won't hear it from more than a few feet away. Otherwise, they could be useful in pointing the way to a downed Phantom over the last 30 or 40 feet, perhaps making up for the relative 30-40 foot inaccuracy of a demonstrated GPS fix from "find my drone", assuming that the GPS didn't die somewhere only on the way to the drone's actual final resting place.
2014-12-5
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

MacCool Posted at 2014-12-6 02:11
I have a few of the Tiles on various items. They're just OK. Don't rely on the beeping from them...y ...

May I recommend something with a bit more range.....

If you have a read of the forums, you can see some recovery stories and the distances between apps location / last seen position / and last known home point has been upto 10 miles away....

For this reason I use a gps tracker,  its on an EE PAYG sim card and costs £1 a week.

Gps trackers are not recommended and it has been said they could cause interference, I have not experienced such issues.
They do add a bit of weight, but that just means your fat phantom cant run away as far.....
2014-12-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

For us here in the USA
My Sim card that the Tracker needs will cost me $10 a month (At&T)
If lost, I call the Tracker using the Sim cards phone number.
It texts me back with lat and long info. (Ive read I can change that to a link to a google map)
Its supposed to be accurate within 10-30 feet.
2014-12-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Mixstreme, may I ask how you attach your tracker to your Phantom?
2014-12-5
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

mixstreme Posted at 2014-12-6 03:27
May I recommend something with a bit more range.....

If you have a read of the forums, you can se ...

I use a Garmin GTU10 GPS tracker. Works well, although I've never had a flyaway and haven't had to use it on the Phantom. Just on the dogs. The Tile is only there in the unlikely event that the Garmin gets me within 30-40 feet and I still can't see it.

In rural America, where I live, cell phone towers can be 15 miles apart, sometimes more. Location by cell tower triangulation might only get you 1/4 mile accuracy, hence the GPS. I haven't had any interference yet that I can identify. I'll check with my carrier about their tracking plans, but I'll likely prefer GPS to the more readily available triangulation plans.
2014-12-5
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

Guy,
I really like the Marco Polo and am trying to get the tracker airborne.
Fred
2014-12-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

guymacdonald@ip Posted at 2014-12-6 06:01
Thanx for the comments and suggestions.

The problem with SIM devices for me is where I live and man ...

But the ones Ive seen actually use GPS, not cell triangulation.  
But, you will need Cell coverage to send the text message back and forth.

So ya..maybe not for your circunstances.
2014-12-5
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-6 04:31
Mixstreme, may I ask how you attach your tracker to your Phantom?

Mine is attatched via velcro, screwed into the legs, and a patch on the back of the gps.........then another velcro strap to tighten around the gps through the original strap..........
gps tracker tk102b on rearlegs.jpg
2014-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules