Santa Clause Brought Me an Expensive Brick
711 15 2022-12-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

Quick Background-  I have been into all things RC for very many years.  Buggies, boats, and numerous planes.

Being a total FPV noob.  I am THE target market for this peice of kit.

The Avata was supposed to be the entry into what I imagined would be a new world of flying FPV.  I went all in with the fly more kit and everything.

Sadly here are the results of trying to get into FPV with the AVATA.   
Found out my phone is not compatible and it won't fly.  It was not advertised that I need to own a smart phone to be able to use this product.  Even more so, a particular smart phone of a certain requirement.  
Now I see that it has already been discussed here.

Thanks dji for selling me something that does not work without jumping through a majillion hoops.  

Maybe I missed the memo about how a company that you purchase a product from,  can then dictate back to you what other products you must purchase, to be able to use said product.

You got me once, but if this is the business model you won't get me again.

2022-12-28
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI has 14 days return policy, contact them if you can return
2022-12-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

An unfortunate experience for you. Sad to say, it seems your pre-purchase research may have been incomplete     I hope you find a satisfactory solution. Many of us fly our drones successfully using older-model Android phones which remain compatible with the DJI software. Maybe you have one lying around the house somewhere, or can pick one up second-hand quite cheaply?
2022-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can always return it for refund.  
2022-12-29
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

"Maybe I missed the memo about how a company that you purchase a product from,  can then dictate back to you what other products you must purchase, to be able to use said product."

I mean, the Avata only works with DJI's Avata-specific proprietary batteries. You can only use DJI goggles (which also use a proprietary battery) and a couple of different DJI controllers with it. DJI drones are about as closed an ecosystem as you can get and DJI is very transparent about that.

That said the new Remote ID implementation that requires your phone to be connected at startup is really terrible and DJI has handled it incredibly poorly. But at some point you were probably going to need a compatible smartphone to use it no matter what, particularly if you ever plan to fly in controlled airspace. But I can see how you could read through DJI's website and think you can either use the Avata without a phone (you can activate it using a PC) or assume that any Apple or Android phone would be sufficient.
2022-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2wheeledphotog Posted at 12-29 06:00
"Maybe I missed the memo about how a company that you purchase a product from,  can then dictate back to you what other products you must purchase, to be able to use said product."

I mean, the Avata only works with DJI's Avata-specific proprietary batteries. You can only use DJI goggles (which also use a proprietary battery) and a couple of different DJI controllers with it. DJI drones are about as closed an ecosystem as you can get and DJI is very transparent about that.

You should probably read the specs on all products you buy to avoid this disappointment.  
2022-12-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

please tell us what smart phone you have that isn't compatible.  just curious.
2022-12-29
Use props
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

The Saint Posted at 12-29 07:56
please tell us what smart phone you have that isn't compatible.  just curious.

It's a Samsung Galaxy A13 5G that I upgraded to a few months ago. I'm not really into having the latest and greatest phone, I mostly use it for calling people.  I tried multiple APK installers but in the end could not get the DJI fly app to install.

Update - I did get the app to install quickly and easily 1st try on my wife's phone so I am no longer dead in the water.   The unit and hardware itself seems pretty top notch but the whole phone related hassle  leaves me disappointed.
2022-12-29
Use props
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

2wheeledphotog Posted at 12-29 06:00

I mean, the Avata only works with DJI's Avata-specific proprietary batteries. You can only use DJI goggles (which also use a proprietary battery) and a couple of different DJI controllers with it. DJI drones are about as closed an ecosystem as you can get and DJI is very transparent about that.

I knew all that going in regarding it being proprietry and moved forward.  This is my first foray into this type of tech so I was relying on that to ease some of the hassle. Right?

Here is my reply to your third paragraph that I can't figure out how to quote in this forum but great info so thanks for that.  

I activated mine with a PC and did all the firmware updates as prompted.  Everything worked smoothly with no issues.  I also practiced for quite some time in the Flight Simulator which was great, also on a PC.

I only ran into issues when I actually tried to use it in the real world.  Not trying to hate on dji or the AVATA.  I think it's a really cool product.  I'm just not the kind of person that is always tethered to their phone.  

Add to that I also live in a very rural area with not the best cell service.   

At least in the short term my wife is cool with letting me bum her phone so I can fly it around...  But, I don't like the phone thing, it's presumptuous.

2022-12-29
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

i don't think you need cellphone service to fly the avata.

just for context, are you new to dji drones as well?
2022-12-29
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

JSK73 Posted at 12-29 10:09
It's a Samsung Galaxy A13 5G that I upgraded to a few months ago. I'm not really into having the latest and greatest phone, I mostly use it for calling people.  I tried multiple APK installers but in the end could not get the DJI fly app to install.

Update - I did get the app to install quickly and easily 1st try on my wife's phone so I am no longer dead in the water.   The unit and hardware itself seems pretty top notch but the whole phone related hassle  leaves me disappointed.

Get this app -  Cx File Explorer

it will extract the DJI app files on your cell, the app will be installed but due to slow CPU on the A13 it may run the app slow
2022-12-29
Use props
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

HDPS Posted at 12-29 20:34
Get this app -  Cx File Explorer

it will extract the DJI app files on your cell, the app will be installed but due to slow CPU on the A13 it may run the app slow

I will give that a shot!   Thanks so much for your help and input folks!   I really appreciate it.  

Thanks for that info Saint that is good to know.  I assume it just wants the GPS location.   Yes I am not only new to dji but quad drones in general.  The Avata is my first one.   The motion controller really does a great job of opening the door to complete beginners.  At some point I'll buy the regular controller and spend a bunch of time in the simulator learning manual control.
2022-12-30
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JSK73 Posted at 12-30 10:11
I will give that a shot!   Thanks so much for your help and input folks!   I really appreciate it.  

Thanks for that info Saint that is good to know.  I assume it just wants the GPS location.   Yes I am not only new to dji but quad drones in general.  The Avata is my first one.   The motion controller really does a great job of opening the door to complete beginners.  At some point I'll buy the regular controller and spend a bunch of time in the simulator learning manual control.

good to hear.  good luck with dji, i think you chose the right place to start!
2022-12-30
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hello. We're sorry to hear about the problem. The DJI Avata now supports the Remote ID function in the US. Before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.
2022-12-30
Use props
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

Just to give an update.  Cx File Explorer would not do an install on my phone either.   It said my phone is not compatible early on in the installation process.  Same as the other apk file installers that I tried.   

My wife and I share everything, as it should be, so she is fine with me using her phone to plug in and fly but I suspect there are going to be a lot of other people caught off guard like I was.
2022-12-30
Use props
JSK73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 12-30 15:46
Hello. We're sorry to hear about the problem. The DJI Avata now supports the Remote ID function in the US. Before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.

OK        bot.
2022-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules