UK and EU Users: v01.00.900 FW Upgrade Regrets?
806 17 2022-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's been almost two months since the huge v01.00.900 update which introduced brake/EXP tuning and waypoints, but also gave a slower top speed and an LED landing light which won't turn off (apparently) at night.

I've hung on to the previous .700 firmware, and it's OK, but the EXP tuning settings and waypoints are really weighing on my mind. I just don't want to upgrade and regret it.

So, I'm wondering, are there any of you out there who regret doing the update or wish you'd held on to the old FW?

2022-12-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Never ever...   

... wouldn't stay on older FW.   
2022-12-29
Use props
fans7611113e
lvl.4

Germany

Yes, great regret - its now sending Remote ID signals which are simply to receive by everyone with an app.
2022-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Surely the C1 classification changes dont take affect in the UK a were not in the UK just like the USA.
2022-12-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-29 04:14
Surely the C1 classification changes dont take affect in the UK a were not in the UK just like the USA.

The C1 classifications don't matter to me and the UK doesn't benefit from it due to Brexit.

What I want to know is if, in general, it's a good update. I've upgraded drones before in the past and instantly felt that it was a big mistake.
2022-12-29
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CloudVisual Posted at 12-29 04:17
The C1 classifications don't matter to me and the UK doesn't benefit from it due to Brexit.

What I want to know is if, in general, it's a good update. I've upgraded drones before in the past and instantly felt that it was a big mistake.

What I mean is the "a slower top speed and an LED landing light which won't turn off (apparently) at night.
" only impacts flights in EU,  if you take off say in the USA these shouldn't apply and thus they also shouldn't apply in the UK as the C classification isn't valid here either.  
2022-12-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 12-29 04:19
What I mean is the "a slower top speed and an LED landing light which won't turn off (apparently) at night.
" only impacts flights in EU,  if you take off say in the USA these shouldn't apply and thus they also shouldn't apply in the UK as the C classification isn't valid here either.

I see what you mean. I am almost certain I heard @Webevision on this forum say that his LED light wouldn't turn off in the UK.

I'm almost certain that USA needs to have a strobe for night flights, so the LED would turn on for this update.
2022-12-29
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DAFlys Posted at 12-29 04:19
" only impacts flights in EU,  if you take off say in the USA these shouldn't apply and thus they also shouldn't apply in the UK as the C classification isn't valid here either.

The led light does turn off as soon as you fly above 15 feet it then comes on auto at 15 feet so there is no difference here from what I can see.
2022-12-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 12-29 05:23
The led light does turn off as soon as you fly above 15 feet it then comes on auto at 15 feet so there is no difference here from what I can see.

Still annoying if that can't be disabled, but I can probably tape it up if I have to for unusual low shots. I thought the LED was permanently on at night with the new FW.
2022-12-29
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 12-29 07:20
Still annoying if that can't be disabled, but I can probably tape it up if I have to for unusual low shots. I thought the LED was permanently on at night with the new FW.

So in what circumstances would you need it off , if you were landing or taking off in the dark , because that’s all it does. Maybe if you were filming in the dark an didn’t need any light , but at that height any camera on a gimbal would probably be a better choice.

So you don’t have control of it turning on to land and take off, but I would think that auto setting would be the one 99% of users would use. Really I thought it might be a problem but it’s not and I cannot really find a problem it’s likely to cause.
2022-12-29
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hallmark007 Posted at 12-29 07:38
So in what circumstances would you need it off , if you were landing or taking off in the dark , because that’s all it does. Maybe if you were filming in the dark an didn’t need any light , but at that height any camera on a gimbal would probably be a better choice.

So you don’t have control of it turning on to land and take off, but I would think that auto setting would be the one 99% of users would use. Really I thought it might be a problem but it’s not and I cannot really find a problem it’s likely to cause.

I don't want the LED light bleeding into my low level night shots, of which I do a lot. I manually disable the LED for all the night filming I do, for this exact purpose because it ruins a lot of the filming if left on.

Certainly don't need it for takeoffs or landing, it's just an inconvenience in all honesty! (but at least I can turn it off)
2022-12-29
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27904331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hallmark007 Posted at 12-29 07:38
So in what circumstances would you need it off , if you were landing or taking off in the dark , because that’s all it does. Maybe if you were filming in the dark an didn’t need any light , but at that height any camera on a gimbal would probably be a better choice.

So you don’t have control of it turning on to land and take off, but I would think that auto setting would be the one 99% of users would use. Really I thought it might be a problem but it’s not and I cannot really find a problem it’s likely to cause.

... I can only agree with that one hundred percent.
2022-12-29
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CloudVisual Posted at 12-29 07:46
I don't want the LED light bleeding into my low level night shots, of which I do a lot. I manually disable the LED for all the night filming I do, for this exact purpose because it ruins a lot of the filming if left on.

Certainly don't need it for takeoffs or landing, it's just an inconvenience in all honesty! (but at least I can turn it off)

Takeoffs and landings will insure downward sensors are working , not working can lead to drifting this will also affect low level night shooting , I’ve seen many drones just drift in such conditions , so for me the light is of much more value than we might think.
2022-12-29
Use props
Grimtheviking
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11796312 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For me No regrets, Waypoints and Expo settings are brilliant and I use the landing lights in auto anyway. Waypoints alone is worth the upgrade. IMO..
2022-12-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi CloudVisual,

To get waypoints, imho you need the latest firmware, which is Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.1000 , don't think 900 would have waypoints. With 900 you would get brake sensitivity though imho and higher ISO at night up to 1600 or aka night mode. I have 1000 (the latest) and have not noticed any bugs. There was a bug with either 800 or 900 , where peaking level for manual focus became white (not red) and were easily confused with overxposure warning. This was fixed in either 900 or 1000 (for sure in 1000) after reporting this to DJI. Peaking levels in 1000 are back in red now as usual, might have been fixed in 900 as well.
Also one noticeable difference with somewhere between 800 to 1000 , the overexposure warning has become more sensitive now, but it might be for the better imho, it seems to "capture" overexposure warning on small areas of reflective / white surfaces with higher sensitivity than before, unless you like it more conservative like it was in 700.
Hope this helps.

Take care, Mike.
P.S. Also wanted to mention since you are in the UK, maybe you care for being able to use FCC (with some unofficial tweaking of course), I am in the US and never used that, but in case you care about this, not sure if newer frimware is supported for this... Also regarding the led light , I have flown at night and unless I am mistaken I was able to turn off the led light, I am almost certain I was able to...
2022-12-29
Use props
Cascade_MT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5514672 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Mzp Posted at 12-29 10:53
Hi CloudVisual,

To get waypoints, imho you need the latest firmware, which is Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.1000 , don't think 900 would have waypoints. With 900 you would get brake sensitivity though imho and higher ISO at night up to 1600 or aka night mode. I have 1000 (the latest) and have not noticed any bugs. There was a bug with either 800 or 900 , where peaking level for manual focus became white (not red) and were easily confused with overxposure warning. This was fixed in either 900 or 1000 (for sure in 1000) after reporting this to DJI. Peaking levels in 1000 are back in red now as usual, might have been fixed in 900 as well.

Don’t worry, FCC/5.8 hacks work perfectly on latest FW
2022-12-29
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Cascade_MT Posted at 12-29 15:34
Don’t worry, FCC/5.8 hacks work perfectly on latest FW

Ah that's good news there Cascade!
2022-12-30
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flying one in the UK (with an RC pro) for me these firmware updates were well worth it, for the expo/gain settings alone to make it fly much better and be able to tweak those settings like you could on say the mavic pro 2, it was way too twitchy before IMHO. The waypoint feature is another benefit, not nearly as flexible as litchi (which isn't on horizon re lack of SDK) but can see some use cases for, particularly for repeated video sequences.   I don't think the remote id thing actually would be enabled in the UK, only in the US as far as I'm aware. Bit irritating the C1 classification not being recognised in the UK (not DJI's fault) and no way to actually get the C1 label either from the UK via the official DJI process, which if you intended to fly abroad in an EEA say on holiday not feasible to do once you are out there - but that's a totally separate issue to be fair, but then again sub 250g better anyway in that case...
2022-12-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules