Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Quick Release Prop flies off - Inspire Destroyed
3283 13 2015-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
captdkp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4521345 ft
United States

Purchased quick release adapters for my Inspire and two sets of OEM DJI blades.  I did this based on research showing that the self-tightening props were harder and harder to find.

Got the adapters and props in and followed instructions exactly dealing with installation of adapters and locking props onto the adapters.

Test flight smooth and without problems.  Props locked on properly and checked for complete lock before takeoff.  Next day, doing a shoot for a first time customer.  First flight of the day, props placed on and locked onto adapter.  Checked for complete lock before takeoff.  Got some great photos and video.  Returned to home point and landed without incident.  Changed battery and moved into another location for the second part of the shoot.  Checked battery level, RC battery level, checked props for lock, GPS 14 secured sats, cleared area and took off.  Began the second part of the flight with some aerial photos while hovering.  Moved the Inspire to different locations (not that far from the previous location) and took more photos.  Placed the Inspire in the 3rd selected location at a hover and began taking more photos.  As I was framing the last photo of the day (because of the crash), I noticed some shaking on my monitor, looked up at the Inspire to see if the shaking was possibly due to wind, saw something fly off the Inspire and down it went.  Crashed with gear raised onto road pavement.

Went to the Inspire and found it completely destroyed.  Since it landed with the gear up, camera and gimbal in several pieces on the ground.  Battery still on but after turning it off, battery was buldging so I removed it.  Optical camera destroyed.  As I looked more closely, I found three of the 4 props still attached and locked.  Of those three, one had damage to the end of the prop; the other two had scuff marks but no breakage.  The 4th remaining prop as missing and not in the area where the Inspire hit the pavement. I looked around and found the 4th prop approximately 30 feet away on the pavement.  I look at the 4th prop and found no breakage to the prop itself and only a scuff on one end of the prop.  As I looked at it, I looked on the inside of the cap that locks onto the adapter and found that 1/2 of the inside portion that covers the threaded end of the motor was missing. Since I was not doing video at the time of the accident, I have no video proof.  I have been able to find the flight log .txt file of that flight but of course, I cant read it but it will show a steady hover at the point of trouble.

The remainder of the day was now gone.  The shoot was the moving of a large boiler from the manufacturer to a docking port about 20 miles away and the trucking firm hired me to do an all day shoot.  I was able to get in touch with my wife and she brought out my Phantom Vision+ to do as much as I could with the 4 batteries I had for it but the end result was I could not provide all the media I promised so I provided what I could without charge (that is only fair).

I've read a lot of threads about people that love the quick release props and others that do not.  I now fall into the "do not" category as my quick release prop released a little early.

I am attaching photos of the damaged prop as well as the other props to show what I believe caused the issue and subsequent crash.  In trying to find a positive out of this ordeal, I have concluded that it could have been worse.  No one was hurt and my piloting skills were not a factor.  I do not wish to point fingers here but the end result is the accident was caused by a faulty prop.  I am glad that there are those who have not once had a single problem with them but I never had a single issue with the self-tightening props and locks so I will be going back to them when my new Inspire arrives (hopefully) tomorrow as I have shoots scheduled for the end of next week.

I will be sending my flight data and pictures of the props and Inspire to DJI for their consideration and  . . . . . . well, to let them know.  I am hoping for a replacement unit but if they decide to refuse, then I will not be happy but hey, what can I do.

If you wish to purchase my adapters and other set of props, let me know.  I'll probably sell them pretty cheap!!! LOL

Flight Record Crash Inspire

2015-8-16
Use props
_Carlo
lvl.4

United States

I'm relay sorry for your loss, this is the reason I use the Alloy hubs that DJI dose not recommend.
2015-8-16
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

I use Dji quick release props & hubs; score of flights, scores of kilometers traveled and no problems. After reading stories like this I inspect these components with a magnifying glass regularly but I see nothing of concern.  I can only stress do not over tighten the machine screws that secure the hub to the motor and have faith the loctite applied to them keeps them in place.

2015-8-16
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
United States

daniel.frederik Posted at 2015-8-17 05:05
I use Dji quick release props & hubs; score of flights, scores of kilometers traveled and no problem ...

I certainly agree with a precise inspection.  And that was done on these blades on every flight prior to the crash; which was only the third time they had been used.

Again, I'm glad you have had good luck with yours as I said in the thread and you should feel confident like I did before the crash.  The prop was faulty, no magnifying glass would see the interior fault and therefore it flew off during flight.  The self-tightening props might be the same but the case here is that it was easy to see the cause of the crash . . . . faulty prop.  DJI warned against purchasing non-DJI props which is why I steered away from copies and purchased OEM DJI props.

Please accept my congrats on your success with the quick release version.  You will understand, as I look at my $3000 investment sitting on my work table all smashed to pieces, that my inspection and/or piloting skills did no fall short in some fashion.
2015-8-16
Use props
snathla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5045295 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss,, I love the Inspire and if mine crashed, I'd be quite a bit unhappy. After having read all the stories of these quick release props failing, even though I bought some, I still use the original that came with the Inspire with the prop locks on them, they just seem a bit safer.
2015-8-16
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

captdkp Posted at 2015-8-17 09:18
I certainly agree with a precise inspection.  And that was done on these blades on every flight pr ...

Good luck next time mate
Send it out to DJI for a major fix and hopefully you'll get your bird up and running in no time.

The issue with sending it to fix is that it's seems it's taking two decades to get it back.
With so much equipment involved and work schedules (some of us), it's difficult to walk away from the Inspire1. I'm actually considering purchasing a second bird and camera only.

It's a soul (and money) sucking pit
2015-8-16
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

Sorry about your experience! You can contact me through tim.dolidze@dji.com, so we can solve your problem as soon as possible, or leave you contacts, thanks!
2015-8-16
Use props
daniel.frederik
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10656 ft
New Zealand

Can you remove the remains of any props then set your camera to a macro mode and provide clear photos of the hubs as seen from above ?

2015-8-16
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
United States

timswimm Posted at 2015-8-17 12:41
Sorry about your experience! You can contact me through , so we can solve your problem as soon as po ...

Thank you Tim.  I will send you an email from my registered email account with DJI which is captdkp@yahoo.com
2015-8-17
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
United States

Linolens Posted at 2015-8-17 09:42
Good luck next time mate
Send it out to DJI for a major fix and hopefully you'll get your bird up  ...

Not sure there is anything to fix.  I picked up the camera and gimbal assembly in about 20 pieces.  SD card was unreadable which means that the Inspire hit the ground pretty hard.  Both landing gear structure arms are broken and twisted. I was pretty shaken and my first thought was whether it hit anyone or any thing.  When I found out it didn't, I felt a little better.  Strange though . . . . although I have over 200 hours of UAV flight time (Phantom Vision + along with Inspire), my confidence took a shot.  But, you have to get back on the horse.

Thanks for the note and your concern mate! (I've always wanted to call someone mate!)
2015-8-17
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
United States

_Carlo Posted at 2015-8-17 02:37
I'm relay sorry for your loss, this is the reason I use the Alloy hubs that DJI dose not recommend.

I really appreciate that.  I did get a note from the DJI representative and I have sent him an email.  I appreciated that very much.
2015-8-17
Use props
captdkp
lvl.3
United States

snathla@gmail.c Posted at 2015-8-17 09:34
Sorry for your loss,, I love the Inspire and if mine crashed, I'd be quite a bit unhappy. After havi ...

Thank you for your concern.  I really appreciate that very much.
2015-8-17
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

captdkp Posted at 2015-8-18 00:06
Not sure there is anything to fix.  I picked up the camera and gimbal assembly in about 20 pieces. ...

that's the worse part to overcome - lack of confidence.
You right on the money when you say you felt "better" when you realized it didn't hit anyone or anything.
Things can get hairy if a I1 falls from the sky or hits something, or worse...someone, at speed head on.

Let's just keep it safe and do our due diligence to make sure we minimize the unknown risks that is coming with the unstable flying experience that some are having.

It's difficult to understand why is this a hit and miss.
Flawless for some, terrible for others.

Keep us updated - mate
2015-8-17
Use props
Pheonixf
lvl.1

United States

Greetings,

I recently purchased an Inspire 1 T600 , as well as an extra battery (TB48) one week ago, i was forced to return the first one due to an unknown malfunction after updating the firmware on both the Aircraft and the Remote Controller, and the battery as required . Upon completion the aircraft and remote would no longer connect to each other , considering that it was only two days after i purchased it , i took it back to the dealer who sold it to me and they replaced it with no issues and i was grateful for that because the Inspire 1 is needed for my startup company and the initial failure gave me the worst fear of a wasted $3000+. This part of my Dji experience was unfortunate because at that point i had never once gotten the Aircraft off of the ground.
Luckily for me i got the opportunity to fly with the replacement aircraft. i was able to complete 34 flight and a total of 1hr 27mins flight time.
the 34th flight proved to be the last one.

The replacement Aircraft was not without its own problems although they would come and go they were noticeable, namely the fact that the landing gear would not stay raised and automatically lowered after ascending 10m , even after switching landing gear up and then down the aircraft would rise the landing gear and then 10secs later lower them , switch still in up position and all.

Then came the fly away issue , on flight 17 i believe , the aircraft not only began acting funny ( non responsive to controls) gps not accurate , controller signal failed no control of Aircraft  aside from forward and back.  I was flying the bird in front of me at about 150ft taking video and started noticing a flicker in both the video signal and the controllers response guiding the bird back using the map in the app, it appear the Aircraft was more than 75 ft in front of me , and i flew it to me but when i looked in the air there was no Aircraft, i keep flying it on the map towards me and it began counting in the negatives , when looked above me the AirCraft was stick hovering at the RTH attitude . when i pressed the RTH button on the app , the aircraft began ascending even further until i took control and i just stopped, and hovered there for a whole 2 mins . my low battery warning came up and i began to fear the worse, that the Aircraft would lose power in mid air and fall from 20m above the ground and it would surely break , the only control i had was moving it back and forward, after two time doing that i attempted to descend and the Aircraft finally began to descend but at an alarming rate , i quickly throttled up it slower its descent an i was  successful in preventing from crashing and landed it safe and sound on the ground  

Around the 25-32 flight i noticed that when flying my monitor would display warning messages , notably “MC Data Error” and also “Compass error , “ both times i performed the required calibration for the aircraft and also restarted the MC and for the time being the error messages were gone. Then during the 33rd flight while flying above the Hudson river , after the pre flight check and also  notification from the Air craft and Dji app that it was safe to fly , i took off an reached about 2m when all of a sudden the tail lights starts flashing red and monitor reads land immediately. so i did ..

The fear from that message grounded me for the night and i went home and decided to await the sept 7th update , not only for the new features but also to see if the previous errors which all appear to be software based , would in fact be corrected,

Being that it is Labor day weekend and i had the urge to see My Inspire 1 do what i actually paid for it to do ,that and i also had a party i was filming. The first flight of the day lasted merely 5 mins before i stored the Aircraft away till later , when i would attempt to capture the sunset.

I took  the aircraft out later that evening mins before sunset , although this time i made sure to eliminate my fear of a crash on anything but soft ground , so i took it to an open grass field , i perform my normal pre flight procedures ( put aircraft together , perform calibration, check all props , ) while keeping in mind the message from the previous night , i allow the aircraft hover at about 15ft off the ground and make sure its responsive to my controls , they appeared to be .
however as i begin to ascend i am watching my monitor and the video being transmitted , as soon aircraft reaches 22 ft in the air i receive the same “MC Data error “ i received days before , then the video in the monitor starts spinning round and round and round and round so i look up in the sky and i witness my Aircraft falling straight the the ground , where it impacted in the open grass field ( thank god for that choice ) , i ran over to the crash sight and found one prop, missing ,one snapped in half , the gimbal mount with camera fell off, the Gimbal port cable partially broken, and landing leg snapped and loose , one joint of the landing gear also snapped in two, and well the aircraft itself shoes no scratches , nor major blemishes to its beautiful body work ( awesome Job on the design ) , or at least i thought .

After collecting the  pieces that fell off , I quickly gathered all the pieces minus the prop that flew off, then i tested the Aircraft to see if it sill responds and flys and it did . the camera however didt but i suspect thats due to the gimbal port cable breaking , so i use the remote to put the Aircraft in transport mode , which wasn’t easy but it eventually took, when i went place it in the case i discovered that the whole entire Aircraft was misaligned and wouldn’t fit back in the case properly .

This whole thing has me going crazy considering i wasn’t  even 30 ft off the ground , and it just blanked out and crashed , i have an order placed with the dealer for more units but now i am unsure if i should wait for a newer model to be released  because this doesn’t seem to very encouraging , from the time that i did get to test out the aircraft i thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it would make a great addition to my equipment
i am hoping that there is something you can tell me to explain the events that lead up to the crash and also what i would have to do to have it repaired , this is very disconcerting considering i haven’t even owned this thing for more than a week and 3 days .

I know that you guys are probably busy and also that you will have more ppl to tend to but if you could please find a way to get back to me as soon as possible it would be greatly appreciated , as i mentioned in the start of this message , i need this for the start of my company ,

I thank you for the time and also for the awesome products you continue to create and hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks in advance
2015-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules