DJI Avata fell out of the sky - how common is this?
12Next >
3715 41 2022-12-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198225 ft
Australia

I am a new Avata owner (my first DJI drone as well), it's not even two weeks old. By now I've been flying FPV for several years. I wanted to try Avata as sometimes I just want to cruise up in the air and enjoy the views, for which Avata, with its adjustable gimble angle, position lock, high def camera and long battery life seemed perfect.

On this day I was flying with a motion controller in Sports mode as I simply wanted to fly above the small river in the neighbourhood and test out this location. It did not feel particularly windy on the ground, but in the sky I did see a 'High wind velocity' warning. It was nothing the Avata can't handle though as it felt fine and was not thrown arond much. I was cruising at about 180m, and was returning back and descending down when at around 140m the drone started spinning and at the same time falling down to the ground. At that point it did not respond to any of my attempts to level it off or steer it away from water somehow. The goggle view dropped off right as it reached the tree top height. Based on my initial perception of where it was flying I was convinced that it's a drowner and I won't be able to recover it. I darted to the location where I thought it fell down and pulled out my phone to see if Find My Drone feature can be of any use. It showed the location of the drone 12km away from where I was flying. Now I think that in order for it to show you the correct location, the phone needs to be connected to the goggles, which it was not at the time. Luckily after seeing all the reports of battery disconnecting and lost drones I had my GalaxyTag+ attached to the battery, and the battery itself secured to the drone with an after market plastic clip. The Galaxy app spotted the tag and I was walking along the river to pinpoint its location. In a very lucky turn of events the drone ended up on the bank right near the fence separating the river from the pedestrian path. Once I turned on the beeping of the tag I could hear it and easily found it. And I didn't even need to wet my toes to get it. It had already been around 10 minutes after the crash, and the goggles did not reconnect to the drone even when I was right next to it looking for it. When I picked up the drone I noticed the following:
- right back propeller was fully missing with the screws in place
- the battery was still attached to the drone
- the drone was turned off (or more precisely the battery was turned off)
- the battery had three solid green lights of juice left

Here is the video of the incident: https://youtu.be/QqNkQm3KAa4

Upon closer inspection at home I did not find any more damage, except some dirt stuck in one of the other motors which makes it feel harder to spin. The drone turns on, but I haven't cleaned it yet and haven't tried to hover it so not sure if it is fully functional.

For the record I'm on the latest firmware currently available (the one that 'fixes' the yaw tumble). I did see other videos on Youtube of similar crashes and I always thought that maybe in those cases the USB cover was not closed and the prop touched it and disintegrated. In my case the prop that's missing is not the one where the USB cover is located. I did not replace the props, these are the stock props out of the box, and I did not tighten them myself (just clarifying here since I've seen people being blamed for over tightening the props).

In all my years of flying 5" and 7" drones I've never had a prop explode mid air, only on impact. I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion and immediately start claiming that there is a design flaw in Avata props, but I would like to get a better understanding how many more people have experienced this. The purpose of my post is mostly to spread the awareness of this as a possibility and also make DJI aware of it by providing my account of it.

I do have DJI Care refresh that I'm really glad that I purchased when this kind of stuff happens randomly. At the moment I'm not sure if I need to raise a support ticket since all I'm missing is one prop. Is there anything additional that DJI can extract from the drone to try to get a better understanding of what happened?

Worst of all is that I am completely turned off now from continuing to fly my Avata. I just lost all confidence in it. If it happened during the slow flight in Sports mode, what can I expect from manual? I have invested heavily with the Fly more kit, FPV Controller, ND filters, charger and a dedicated backpack, and I have no desire to go out with it again because I do not trust it. I know it can be replaced if it brakes or gets lost with DJI Care, but having this constant question in your head 'Is it going to happen again?' is just not a good feeling.
2022-12-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. We are sorry to hear this news. In your case, we will recommend you apply for an online repair request and then send it back for repair. If you are in the warranty period, you can enjoy data analysis services, corresponding offer will be given based on the result. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2022-12-30
Use props
2wheeledphotog
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3432372 ft
United States

I have the same fear based on the threads I've read, but I tend to be of the mind that threads only get made by people who experience the problem, and everyone else generally has no problem at all. So it's not like every Avata is falling out of the sky. That said, I am very tempted to buy some aftermarket props, just because it seems that the DJI props may not be as sturdy as they could be. Not that they have some inherent flaw, but perhaps it doesn't take much to damage them in a way that they fail easier than other props.
2022-12-30
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just another   propeller failure

2022-12-30
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14860804 ft
United States

Nope it an't just you. lol prop.jpg
2022-12-31
Use props
Elephant Apocalypse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6336594 ft
  • >>>
United States

man that some top gun stuff, avata style
2022-12-31
Use props
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Australia

I replaced all 4 props as the remaining three were scuffed up from the tree. I tried to break one of the old props with my hands, and I couldn't break a single blade off. It is made out of very flexible plastic, similar to plastic bottles it seems. This makes it even more strange that they snap off. With so much flex in them I do not believe it would break from touching the ducts in the case of a crash when the duct itself flexes. And seeing images of recovered broken props at the mounting holes is very strage too. Yes it is quite thin in that area, but this is not some brittle plastic type that could develop cracks and break. It defies logic, but sadly it is somehow true.
2022-12-31
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hakuna Avata Posted at 2022-12-31 11:47
I replaced all 4 props as the remaining three were scuffed up from the tree. I tried to break one of the old props with my hands, and I couldn't break a single blade off. It is made out of very flexible plastic, similar to plastic bottles it seems. This makes it even more strange that they snap off. With so much flex in them I do not believe it would break from touching the ducts in the case of a crash when the duct itself flexes. And seeing images of recovered broken props at the mounting holes is very strage too. Yes it is quite thin in that area, but this is not some brittle plastic type that could develop cracks and break. It defies logic, but sadly it is somehow true.

Hi Hakuna Avata,

have you make a repair request and did you got an reply from DJI support?

I am planning to buy an Avata, so should I reconsider?

2023-1-6
Use props
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 1-6 09:33
Hi Hakuna Avata,

have you make a repair request and did you got an reply from DJI support?

No, I replaced the props myself. I have DJI Care, but I figured that I didn't want to burn one of the included repairs on a broken prop, plus it is still not free, so I would have paid more than buying a new set of props and replacing them myself.
2023-1-6
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hakuna Avata Posted at 1-6 14:12
No, I replaced the props myself. I have DJI Care, but I figured that I didn't want to burn one of the included repairs on a broken prop, plus it is still not free, so I would have paid more than buying a new set of props and replacing them myself.

Hi Hakuna Avata,

is the quality of the new props different?
It looks like a production issue.

Was there any communication with DJI support?

Thank you for replying.
2023-1-7
Use props
Leophirr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 312717 ft

France

The same thing happened to me, it doesn't seem like I'm allowed to link anything here just lookup "DJi Avata propeller loss 120m high" on YouTube, it's a short.
2023-1-9
Use props
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 1-7 09:57
Hi Hakuna Avata,

is the quality of the new props different?

Hi mate, sorry for not replying sooner. So far I've only flown up to an hour on the new props (HQProps) and they held up. If they break too I'll definitely post about it here. I did not have any communication with DJI support. The way I understood the process is that you create a repair request and send your drone in, after which someone will tell your their findings. I decided not to go this route this time since I didn't want to pay the repair fee if all they did was put new set of same kind of props on it and blame me for flying incorrectly or some other excuse for breaking the prop.
2023-1-10
Use props
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Australia

Leophirr Posted at 1-9 09:36
The same thing happened to me, it doesn't seem like I'm allowed to link anything here just lookup "DJi Avata propeller loss 120m high" on YouTube, it's a short.

I watched your video and it looks very similar to mine. It's very sad that we'll have to live with this. I'll be flying with third party props now unless DJI releases some kind of different replacement props, which won't happen since this would be the admission that there was an issue in the first place.
2023-1-10
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hakuna Avata Posted at 1-10 20:23
I watched your video and it looks very similar to mine. It's very sad that we'll have to live with this. I'll be flying with third party props now unless DJI releases some kind of different replacement props, which won't happen since this would be the admission that there was an issue in the first place.

Hi Hakuna Avata, would you be so kind to post pictures of the old and the new props for comparison?
2023-1-11
Use props
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 1-11 14:16
Hi Hakuna Avata, would you be so kind to post pictures of the old and the new props for comparison?

Old props are just stock Avata props, and the new ones are these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004878636194.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.59.61c918023fAWZW
2023-1-11
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunate... glad you got it back.

To me it sounds like the issue DJI is trying to ignore even though many have reported it.
DJI PROPS ARE DEFECTIVE or THE SCREWS ARE OVERTIGHTENED AT FACTORY.

Get yourself some different props... anything but DJI props.

I have a post here if you want to get familiar or find a solution.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=274879
2023-1-12
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hakuna Avata Posted at 2022-12-31 11:47
I replaced all 4 props as the remaining three were scuffed up from the tree. I tried to break one of the old props with my hands, and I couldn't break a single blade off. It is made out of very flexible plastic, similar to plastic bottles it seems. This makes it even more strange that they snap off. With so much flex in them I do not believe it would break from touching the ducts in the case of a crash when the duct itself flexes. And seeing images of recovered broken props at the mounting holes is very strage too. Yes it is quite thin in that area, but this is not some brittle plastic type that could develop cracks and break. It defies logic, but sadly it is somehow true.

The blades are not the weak point... it is the t-mount location where the screws are. Typically it will snap at a screw base... starts off a hairline crack and the vibration finishes it off. I have spent some time researching this...  do not use DJI props. Get HQprops or any other prop. DJI should be recalling the props and giving out HQprops. (same people that designed the props, also must have designed the nose portion of the Goggles 2; derp.)
2023-1-12
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hakuna Avata Posted at 1-11 14:53
Old props are just stock Avata props, and the new ones are these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004878636194.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.59.61c918023fAWZW

Hi,
thank you for the link.
The design is slightly different, maybe more stability.

2023-1-12
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Bob Brown Posted at 1-12 12:20
Unfortunate... glad you got it back.

To me it sounds like the issue DJI is trying to ignore even though many have reported it.

Hi Bob Brown,

thank you for posting.
I am planning to buy an Avata, but now...

What will happen, when it does not only crash into the ground, with full speed and its weight, into a crowd?

Your issue was opened months ago, will DJI wait for something bad happens?
2023-1-12
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

WOW!!! Now I'm sitting here wondering if I should fly my AVATA....
2023-1-13
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Drey. I Posted at 1-13 06:13
WOW!!! Now I'm sitting here wondering if I should fly my AVATA....

You should. Not flying it wont change it
2023-1-14
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtRay Posted at 1-14 03:07
You should. Not flying it wont change it

I mean now I'm addressing the fact of selling it...
2023-1-14
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Drey. I Posted at 1-14 07:31
I mean now I'm addressing the fact of selling it...

That's a tough one. I'm keeping mine cuz I know how to buy aftermarket props that are fine. I know how to avoid the moves that cuz the glitch. So I'm goanna stick with it.

But everyone has to ask themselves if they want to. Much like anything else.  hell I had a $110,000.00 truck that people gave up on. I choose not to and it worked out for me. But I knew it wasn't for everyone. Just not the end of the world.
2023-1-14
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SgtRay Posted at 1-14 11:08
That's a tough one. I'm keeping mine cuz I know how to buy aftermarket props that are fine. I know how to avoid the moves that cuz the glitch. So I'm goanna stick with it.

But everyone has to ask themselves if they want to. Much like anything else.  hell I had a $110,000.00 truck that people gave up on. I choose not to and it worked out for me. But I knew it wasn't for everyone. Just not the end of the world.

True... I just hate to see my $2k drone tumble out of control and I already crashed it pretty bad so I don't know if I can handle the stress.
2023-1-14
Use props
SgtRay
Second Officer
United States

Drey. I Posted at 1-14 12:58
True... I just hate to see my $2k drone tumble out of control and I already crashed it pretty bad so I don't know if I can handle the stress.

Lol I know that feeling!!! I vid 2 crashes of my FPV and one of my Avata and it never gets easy. And don't get me started on my other planes and drones!
2023-1-14
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

We are sorry to hear this news
2023-1-15
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 1-12 13:44
Hi Bob Brown,

thank you for posting.

That is why you ALWAYS fly away from crowds and people. Always consider your flight path and the possibility of it falling from the sky. Getting non DJI props and not over-tightening the replacements is the ticket. Been using the same after-market props since I got the Avata replacement... no issues in over 20+ flights.
2023-1-19
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Bob Brown Posted at 1-19 12:36
That is why you ALWAYS fly away from crowds and people. Always consider your flight path and the possibility of it falling from the sky. Getting non DJI props and not over-tightening the replacements is the ticket. Been using the same after-market props since I got the Avata replacement... no issues in over 20+ flights.

Hi Bob Brown,

thank you for your reply.

I have no intention to fly near some vulnerable.
I am concerned of any kind about a fly away situation or return to home with a crash.

Maybe DJI will provide a set without props to mount own ones.
So the unused originals will not waste space.

2023-1-19
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

Sorry to hear this news
2023-1-21
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hi there,

got a maybe helpful answer from DJI Susan in the pre-sale section:

"Hi there, when an accident happened, and you would love to apply for warranty, within the warranty period, we will be able to provide data analysis and confirm if it can be covered under warranty, if yes, the service will be covered by DJI. If you were referring to whether the DJI Care Refresh will cover the accident/damages to the drone when it is caused by unauthorized accessories, the answer is negative. If it is the third-party insurance you purchased, you are recommended to contact the insurance company for the details. Thank you for your attention."

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =283315&pid=2964702

2023-1-22
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 1-22 06:45
Hi there,

My advice to you, principally if you are new to this and really want a small drone, get the Avata and get the Care Refresh.  

No even think in get another brand because there is no real competitor to DJI products and customer service, period!

I learned it the hard way, got a Cinebot30 with DJI O3 PNP model ($600 shipped) and it was shipped "4" weeks after paid, come un-flyable, a complete POS build without access to SD card port or even the bind button, Betaflight CLI all wrong, and customer support (3 days later after contacted) told me to fix all the wrong things myself or send back to China ($65) on my dime. Only the Youtubers getting the drone for free will give a good review.
2023-1-22
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

HDPS Posted at 1-22 11:30
My advice to you, principally if you are new to this and really want a small drone, get the Avata and get the Care Refresh.  

No even think in get another brand because there is no real competitor to DJI products and customer service, period!

Hi HDPS,

thank you very much for sharing your experience.

More than ten years ago I had two accidents, a blow away that I ended with remote power off, and a signal lost situation I rescued with third party transmitter attached.

I do not want a risk.

I can fully agree with you,

using pro solutions keeps the headache pain far away.

(The Avata should be only a toy for me)
2023-1-22
Use props
Hakuna Avata
lvl.1
Australia

djiuser_zyklide Posted at 1-22 06:45
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing this info. Good to know that it can also be covered by a warranty instead of burning one of the repair or replace options from the DJI Care. I must have missed it in the repair wizard that I was being guided through on the DJI website, and it looked like I only had an option to use my DJI Care. In my case, since it ended up being due to the prop failure and there was no other damage, I think I made the right decision to just fix the props myself instead of sending it over to DJI and wait for it to be looked at and then sent back to me. So far no more failures yet.
2023-1-22
Use props
djiuser_zyklide
lvl.4

Germany

Hakuna Avata Posted at 1-22 19:42
Thanks for sharing this info. Good to know that it can also be covered by a warranty instead of burning one of the repair or replace options from the DJI Care. I must have missed it in the repair wizard that I was being guided through on the DJI website, and it looked like I only had an option to use my DJI Care. In my case, since it ended up being due to the prop failure and there was no other damage, I think I made the right decision to just fix the props myself instead of sending it over to DJI and wait for it to be looked at and then sent back to me. So far no more failures yet.

Hi Hakuna Avata,

got an other reply from DJI Mindy:

"Hi there, please note that data analysis service will not be provided after warranty expiration. For more details, please refer to:https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=nav[...]"

https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=nav
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=283315&pid=2965458

In any case, every accident reminds indelible in mind...

Greetings
2023-1-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

HDPS Posted at 1-22 11:30

Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
May we know if your problem is resolved now? Could you please tell us more details sothat we can check it better and do our best to help?
Thank you for your understanding.
2023-1-23
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 1-23 17:58
Hi, there.
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
May we know if your problem is resolved now and may we know how you contact our support?

Hi Natalia, is not DJI problem, the problem I described was with another company selling  a Cinebot30 O3 ( a failed Avata competitor), they are using the DJI air Unit O3 with old analog frames that has no access to the Air Unit O3 SD card port, USB port and bind button. the problem is not with DJI.....I described this problem and other problems with this company and their support is near zero, compared with DJI excellent products and customer support. Stick with DJI folks!
2023-1-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

HDPS Posted at 1-23 20:35
Hi Natalia, is not DJI problem, the problem I described was with another company selling  a Cinebot30 O3 ( a failed Avata competitor), they are using the DJI air Unit O3 with old analog frames that has no access to the Air Unit O3 SD card port, USB port and bind button. the problem is not with DJI.....I described this problem and other problems with this company and their support is near zero, compared with DJI excellent products and customer support. Stick with DJI folks!

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you very much for the updated information.
We are grateful for your feedback and should you have any questions or needs, please just contact us anytime.
2023-1-24
Use props
djiuser_queY36HdVtVP
New

Ghana

This same thing has happened to me twice and I’ve been wondering if this is a general issue, I’ve totally lost faith in my avata. I’m glad to see I’m not alone in this, and I live in Ghana where we have no access to dji care package. Not taken my avata outside in over two months
2023-4-5
Use props
fans0807e49a
New

United States

Had the same issue yesterday. On its second flight, it dropped out of the sky randomly and we had to spend an HOUR trying to find it in the tall grass of a cow pasture. Terrible flaw that needs to be fixed by DJI. On the hunt now for the best after market propellers that are not DJI brand. Thanks for the info and for sharing your experience--we were trying to figure out if it was something we did that made it fall!
2023-7-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fans0807e49a Posted at 7-23 14:58
Had the same issue yesterday. On its second flight, it dropped out of the sky randomly and we had to spend an HOUR trying to find it in the tall grass of a cow pasture. Terrible flaw that needs to be fixed by DJI. On the hunt now for the best after market propellers that are not DJI brand. Thanks for the info and for sharing your experience--we were trying to figure out if it was something we did that made it fall!

Hello there. We're sorry for the experience. If ever you experience an issue after the crash please send the drone for testing by submitting a repair case here. You can also request a damage assessment once we already have your drone. Just a reminder, we don't recommend using third-party accessories for the drone as they are not tested but hopefully you can purchase a better propellers for replacement. Thank you for your understanding and patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules