DJI Mini 3 Pro - DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE YEAR = RANGE!
23470 270 2022-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
United Kingdom

primeshooter Posted at 1-3 05:10
And at 49m height how far in rural? You won't be able to get 2-3KM unless you go up to 120M etc...

I will post the unedited screenshot after work.
2023-1-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 04:26
I understand the frustration some of you display with me, or with other users who have issues with the DJi Mini 3 Pro. However, besides the users informing themselves about the hows and whats of the product they buy, the real questions still remain:

- Why are there so many random users with the issue? Why is everyone getting stuck at about the 300 meter range?

How many random users are having problems, out of how many sales?
I have no intention of kissing DJI's butt over anything, my problem with threads like this is that the stridently vocal complainers seem to assume that they represent a significant proportion of users.
I very much doubt that that is correct. Is there a problem? For some people undoubtedly there is but I would suspect that many, many more users have no problem.
You yourself have just aptly demonstrated that when your drone is used in an appropriate environment your supposedly flawed equipment can reach appreciable ranges.
The drone and controller do not change their nature in between limited and unlimited flights so that suggests that something else has changed.

I'd guess I have just wasted the last couple of minute but ..... so be it.
2023-1-3
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-3 05:51
I have no intention of kissing DJI's butt over anything, my problem with threads like this is that the stridently vocal complainers seem to assume that they represent a significant proportion of users.
I very much doubt that that is correct. Is there a problem? For some people undoubtedly there is but I would suspect that many, many more users have no problem.

The number of users having the same issue like me are many. Just search on Google, Youtube, or in this forum, or anywhere, and you will see that it's not only a few that are having the range problem. As described above, it's difficult to point to the exact cause as random users in FCC and CE are having the range issue - max range about 300 m in an urban.

I understand you are trying to downplay the issue by saying that I might be one of the few who are having the pathetic range but I beg to disagree.

The range of over 4000 m I finally managed to reach was done on the hills and out of almost every single settlement so the question is what the drone is made for? Just for the farmer to observe how his cows are chewing the grass, or for something else.

Once again, this seems to be the first drone with so many reported issues. I searched a lot but after I bought it. I will do some more testing today and tomorrow to see how it does.

All said, the drone is really good, packed with some profeatures and useful, especially for those who are doing a lot of social media posts.
2023-1-3
Use props
chrisvomradio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3241519 ft
Germany

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 06:41
The number of users having the same issue like me are many. Just search on Google, Youtube, or in this forum, or anywhere, and you will see that it's not only a few that are having the range problem. As described above, it's difficult to point to the exact cause as random users in FCC and CE are having the range issue - max range about 300 m in an urban.

I understand you are trying to downplay the issue by saying that I might be one of the few who are having the pathetic range but I beg to disagree.

Do not forget that only a small percentage of the overall users are active on social media. What you see is a bubble of unsatisfied customers. The major part of M3P owners don't suffer any issues at all.
It's like sitting in a doctors waiting room and assuming every man on earth is sick or injured.
2023-1-3
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
United Kingdom

chrisvomradio Posted at 1-3 07:00
Do not forget that only a small percentage of the overall users are active on social media. What you see is a bubble of unsatisfied customers. The major part of M3P owners don't suffer any issues at all.
It's like sitting in a doctors waiting room and assuming every man on earth is sick or injured.

The major part of M3P owners don't suffer any issues at all? LOL

Really? Obviously you have not searched anything and speak nonsense. Just see how many users comlain below each Youtube video on the subject.

Yeah, when you sell a car, you should tell the buyer that it will go 1000 km on one tank but it's ok if it actually goes 100 km. Makes perfect sense. Not.
2023-1-3
Use props
Mirek_62
lvl.4
Flight distance : 45171 ft
Czechia

DJI does not specify the transmission distance for the drone in the specification.

DJI made the mistake of not listing typical transmission distances as informative.
Unfortunately, marketing won out over engineering.
2023-1-3
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mirek_62 Posted at 1-3 07:55
DJI does not specify the transmission distance for the drone in the specification.

DJI made the mistake of not listing typical transmission distances as informative.

Here are the specs for the DJI Mini 3 Pro: https://www.dji.com/ie/mini-3-pro/specs

The truth is somewhere between these lines of the specs:
2023-1-3
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
United Kingdom

And at 49m height how far in rural? You won't be able to get 2-3KM unless you go up to 120M etc...

Another decisive factor could be the initial altitute of the home point because it's not the same if you are on the top of the hill and flying mostly downwards, or in the valley flying upwards. Add the Wi-Fis, mobile towers and who know what other frequencies and the mess is more complete. No perfect world.
2023-1-3
Use props
Mirek_62
lvl.4
Czechia

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 08:05
Here are the specs for the DJI Mini 3 Pro: https://www.dji.com/ie/mini-3-pro/specs

The usual transmission distances are given for the controllers, not the drone. In addition, they note under what conditions they can be achieved.

Most users fly according to the regulations and so will not even reach the limit of the transmission distance, so there is nothing to complain about. Even if the drone has PRO in the name, it's just a hobby device. If you need to fly outside the "free" category, then buy a truly professional drone.
2023-1-3
Use props
Drone.Hunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

Signal Transmission Ranges (FCC) [6]
Strong Interference (urban landscape): Approx. 1.5-3 km
Medium Interference (suburban landscape): Approx. 3-7 km
Low Interference (suburb/seaside): Approx. 7-12 km
2023-1-3
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 05:45
I will post the unedited screenshot after work.

But the first images aren't rural. Not why I call rural anyway? You where flying in small town by the looks of it, at a low height, and poor line of sight with the drone which will have caused your issues no doubt.
2023-1-3
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 08:07
Another decisive factor could be the initial altitute of the home point because it's not the same if you are on the top of the hill and flying mostly downwards, or in the valley flying upwards. Add the Wi-Fis, mobile towers and who know what other frequencies and the mess is more complete. No perfect world.

Of course, and line of sight. I repeat my comments - your first posted screenshots indicate you are not in a rural area. Rural means no buildings...hills, trees maybe. You are clearly in a town area.
2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not quite accurate, just yesterday in CE i did 4.7 klicks at only 30m high had to turn back due to 50% battery, my PB is 5.5km at only 31m high again had to turn back due to 65% battery, neither times were  maxed out signal, both ended at 2 bars.
Also yesterday in FCC i did a fraction over 7km at 30m high, only turn back cause of the battery. It was a little windy even at 30m, the drone was at about 45º angle due to side wind.

Its not just about height, although that does play a major part when the signal is struggling with external factors.
2023-1-3
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-3 09:35
Not quite accurate, just yesterday in CE i did 4.7 klicks at only 30m high had to turn back due to 50% battery, my PB is 5.5km at only 31m high again had to turn back due to 65% battery, neither times were  maxed out signal, both ended at 2 bars.
Also yesterday in FCC i did a fraction over 7km at 30m high, only turn back cause of the battery. It was a little windy even at 30m, the drone was at about 45º angle due to side wind.

Yeah that is fair enough, but I am meaning in this chaps clearly non rural area, being higher, with better pointing accuracy to the drone would have helped.
2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-3 05:51

I just want to point out that the vast majority of those that dont have a problem don't actually know there may be a problem because they keep within the legal parameters or they don't go beyond say 700m.

But i also want to repeat what I've been saying all along, its not the equipment, it is in part the environment, location and the pilot. It could just be one of those 3 or all of them that can affect the signal. If you get 2 of those (namely location and the pilot) right then there is only the environment to contend with but even so, when the location and the pilot get it right, they can achieve much further than the complained about sub 1km any day of the week. Get the environment in the mix as well and you can achieve max distance as been proven on YT.
2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 08:05

Those specs are not signal distance, just the capability of the batteries only
2023-1-3
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-3 09:45
I just want to point out that the vast majority of those that dont have a problem don't actually know there may be a problem because they keep within the legal parameters or they don't go beyond say 700m.

But i also want to repeat what I've been saying all along, its not the equipment, it is in part the environment, location and the pilot. It could just be one of those 3 or all of them that can affect the signal. If you get 2 of those (namely location and the pilot) right then there is only the environment to contend with but even so, when the location and the pilot get it right, they can achieve much further than the complained about sub 1km any day of the week. Get the environment in the mix as well and you can achieve max distance as been proven on YT.

I think you are right here. And the only other drone I have owned (and admittedly only for a short while) was the Mavic Pro 2. I did not fly it distance as it had a gimpy camera problem so it was returned within the week. I wonder from your experience how far things like the Mavic mini 2 went etc?
2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

primeshooter Posted at 1-3 10:03
I think you are right here. And the only other drone I have owned (and admittedly only for a short while) was the Mavic Pro 2. I did not fly it distance as it had a gimpy camera problem so it was returned within the week. I wonder from your experience how far things like the Mavic mini 2 went etc?

Mini 2 did 4. something rural, i can't remember the exact figure now but a fraction over 1km urban.
I was very nervous about the range when i bought the Mini 3 Pro, i nearly didn't due to all the complaints but what i noticed on the videos was that the radar wasn't used and some showed that the RC was not pointing at the drone, it was pointing at the ISS lol. So the very 1st day i got the Mini 3 Pro i did the urban test, exact same flight path and straight off the bat it hit 1.2km so straight away it was better than the Mini 2, btw, the Mini 2 tests were consistent at around 1km urban, the Mini 3 Pro varied between 1.2 and 1.5km if you crawled the last 300m or went backwards
2023-1-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2023-1-3
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-3 10:20
Mini 2 did 4. something rural, i can't remember the exact figure now but a fraction over 1km urban.
I was very nervous about the range when i bought the Mini 3 Pro, i nearly didn't due to all the complaints but what i noticed on the videos was that the radar wasn't used and some showed that the RC was not pointing at the drone, it was pointing at the ISS lol. So the very 1st day i got the Mini 3 Pro i did the urban test, exact same flight path and straight off the bat it hit 1.2km so straight away it was better than the Mini 2, btw, the Mini 2 tests were consistent at around 1km urban, the Mini 3 Pro varied between 1.2 and 1.5km if you crawled the last 300m or went backwards

There's a video posted of someone flying a Mini 1 or 2 (I think a mini 2) out to distance (WAY beyond VLOS)  and losing signal.  
As I remember he was griping about the range. The comical bit was he showed video of himself, shot with a tripod mounted camera, flying the drone and literally at times it looks as if he was aiming the controller at the ISS. At other times he and the controller were facing perpendicular to the line of sight to where he thought the drone should be and possibly once he had his back to the drone.
Thought the latter might be ok'ish since there might be a backwards facing lobe to the radiated/reception 'map'.
2023-1-3
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-3 10:20
I was very nervous about the range when i bought the Mini 3 Pro, i nearly didn't due to all the complaints but what i noticed on the videos was that the radar wasn't used and some showed that the RC was not pointing at the drone, it was pointing at the ISS lol. So the very 1st day i got the Mini 3 Pro i did the urban test, exact same flight path and straight off the bat it hit 1.2km so straight away it was better than the Mini 2, btw, the Mini 2 tests were consistent at around 1km urban, the Mini 3 Pro varied between 1.2 and 1.5km if you crawled the last 300m or went backwards

This is what I thought. But so many folk are moaning saying the mini 2 was better...
2023-1-3
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-2 19:53
I'm curious as to why you concealed the altitudes?  Were you flying extremely low or extremely high?  Asking because this can make a difference.

Hi. Here are the unedited pics. No hiding of the altitude

2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-3 10:47
There's a video posted of someone flying a Mini 1 or 2 (I think a mini 2) out to distance (WAY beyond VLOS)  and losing signal.  
As I remember he was griping about the range. The comical bit was he showed video of himself, shot with a tripod mounted camera, flying the drone and literally at times it looks as if he was aiming the controller at the ISS. At other times he and the controller were facing perpendicular to the line of sight to where he thought the drone should be and possibly once he had his back to the drone.
Thought the latter might be ok'ish since there might be a backwards facing lobe to the radiated/reception 'map'.

lol, some do not have any concept as to how the RC works, certainly with DJI's RC's as they are for the most part, directional.
2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

primeshooter Posted at 1-3 13:10
This is what I thought. But so many folk are moaning saying the mini 2 was better...

No in the range sense, it might be better in the sense that it was a little more forgiving when it came to alignment. BUT, its a big but, only applied to closer in, once you get further out say nearer 1000m the alignment becomes as much of a thing as the Mini 3 Pro. This is why many think that Mini 2 has better range, they didn't actually try for distance, just kept it closer and it didn't fail.

So how would one look at that? Ok, in one sense the Mini 2 is marginally better and it comes in handy when one is behind something and not 100% aligned, but it is still susceptible to LOS like any RC just not quite as much. That right there is enough for many but for me, nope, if i bought the Mini 3 Pro and it turned out that the range was no better than the Mini 2 and was actually a little worse, it would have gone straight back, that was my intention form that get-go.
2023-1-3
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 14:49

[view_image]

Thanks, certainly in those scenarios, extra height would have been beneficial for sure, you still had a connection so another 50 to 70m should have provided perhaps as much as 2 to 3 bars, for a while at least.
2023-1-3
Use props
Mirek_62
lvl.4
Czechia

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-4 03:24
Range specifications are listed...

[view_image]

These are the figures on the website and are specified in note (6).

6. Data is tested under FCC standards in unobstructed environments of typical interference. Only to serve as a reference and provides no guarantee as to the actual flight distance.

In the User Guide these values are not given for the drone, but only for the remote control.

2023-1-4
Use props
UweE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

AntonioTech Posted at 1-3 14:49

[view_image]

far too low for this kind of distance!
And far out of VLOS in this case (flying over houses etc.)
2023-1-4
Use props
Element115
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5693497 ft
United States

The issue I have with range is that the Mini 3 Pro has better range when it is facing away from you than when it is facing you.  So on the way out, I get excellent range for miles.  However, when I am that far out and I turn the drone around to come back home, I lose connection.  I think this is why they changed the antenna placement on Mini 3 (non pro).
2023-1-4
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-4 03:10
He is absolutely correct.  There are those like myself who hang out to stay informed & share experiences, but when you enter any support forum for the most part you are going to be met with lots of users experiencing issues.  That's why they come to the forum.  Few go out of their way to proclaim, "Wow what an awesome product!"  Most are out enjoying their Mini 3 without complaint.  

It seems like so many issues to you because 1) you are currently focused on the Mini 3 Pro, and 2) it is an extremely popular drone with lots of new & inexperienced users.  Generally every year right after Christmas we endure a wave of newbies suffering crashes & misunderstandings about their new drone.  Many have never bothered to fully read & comprehend the manual, or to understand all the nuances of the incredible bit of technology in their hands.  When something doesn't work out as they expect or they crash, to their mind it's always the fault of the drone.  They are often quite insistent.  In reality, in almost all cases, it turns out to be their fault in misunderstanding how the drone works.

Thanks for your thoughts! However, you know what they say: the presupposions are the cause of many F-UPs and misunderstandings.

Long before I bought the M3P, I had gone several times through the manual, let alone the videos I watched on Youtube. One thing tricked me, though, and I didn't believe that the range was such an issue but it was and still is.

Why aren't there such complaints about the 300-m range about the Mavic 3, for example?
2023-1-4
Use props
AntonioTech
lvl.4
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-4 12:50
I'm sure there have been range complaints levied by some Mavic 3 owners, but the fact is at $2500+ there are but a fraction of Mavic 3 sales compared to the Mini 3 Pro, & those who do spend that type of money on a drone are much more likely to be experienced & familiar with the technology.  As you found out for yourself the Mini 3 Pro is certainly capable of achieving long range.  It can achieve good range even in an urban environment if approached correctly.

As I pointed out, the range was achieved when I was on the top of the hill and the drone flying without almost any obstacles, like many houses, etc. so we will see.
2023-1-4
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-5 03:23
Next time I get a chance I am going to head to downtown Baltimore City & screen record a manual Mini 3 Pro flight in an intense urban environment.  When I do I will post the video to this thread.

Every environmental setting is unique and no two can be replicated.

And btw, before I bought the drone I took my pilot license and informed myself via many YT videos and on this forum. And, yes, I went through all DJI manuals for the drone and I did see the declared stats for the range in different settings I also did see posts that users have issues with the range but I guess I liked the drone so much that I didn't think that this specific drone still has some issue with the range.
2023-1-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Element115 Posted at 1-4 10:30
The issue I have with range is that the Mini 3 Pro has better range when it is facing away from you than when it is facing you.  So on the way out, I get excellent range for miles.  However, when I am that far out and I turn the drone around to come back home, I lose connection.  I think this is why they changed the antenna placement on Mini 3 (non pro).

Thats very weird because i and others have found that once the signal hits the red and then turn it 180º so that it is facing the homepoint, the signal improves. Also, the same applies when you stop the drone right on the edge of signal loss, it will improve, you can then crawl right (4kph) until full signal loss, for me over urban, both instances I gain about 300m more.
2023-1-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 1-4 12:37
Thanks for your thoughts! However, you know what they say: the presupposions are the cause of many F-UPs and misunderstandings.

Long before I bought the M3P, I had gone several times through the manual, let alone the videos I watched on Youtube. One thing tricked me, though, and I didn't believe that the range was such an issue but it was and still is.

But you now know that the range isn't an issue if simple steps are taken, CE is most certainly far lower over urban than what FCC is, so around 300m urban when not applying what you've learnt is pretty good.

RE Mavic 3, as DB pointed, there are far fewer owners in comparison due to the cost, also as DB stated, they are probably more experienced, but one major point will be that many will be flying it within VLOS due to using it for commercial work so probably not venturing much further than 300m anyway. Then there is the matter of the RC, i bet there's a good handful using the RC Pro with it, the adjustable antennas will make a difference for sure.

2 other points, but i might be wrong on this one, the antenna placement could be different, are they in the legs (vertical) as opposed to the arms (horizontal), and it is O3+ transmission as opposed to O3

Comparing the 2 is like chalk and chees really.
2023-1-5
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 1-5 03:23
Next time I get a chance I am going to head to downtown Baltimore City & screen record a manual Mini 3 Pro flight in an intense urban environment.  When I do I will post the video to this thread.

You shouldn't really, everyone will expect to achieve the same lol
You will need to add an FCC disclaimer ;)
2023-1-5
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-5 18:08
But you now know that the range isn't an issue if simple steps are taken, CE is most certainly far lower over urban than what FCC is, so around 300m urban when not applying what you've learnt is pretty good.

RE Mavic 3, as DB pointed, there are far fewer owners in comparison due to the cost, also as DB stated, they are probably more experienced, but one major point will be that many will be flying it within VLOS due to using it for commercial work so probably not venturing much further than 300m anyway. Then there is the matter of the RC, i bet there's a good handful using the RC Pro with it, the adjustable antennas will make a difference for sure.

From what I've watched and seen, I believe you are correct - CE is most certainly far lower over urban than what FCC is.

I saw some Italian guy (there is a post in the forum somewhere) who offers a hack for $69 for setting the RC only in FCC mode. I don't want to mess with the drone due to warranty.

Yes, it seems that those who use the drones commercially do si withing the 300-m range and thus they wouldn't be able to see the issue (as much).

I saw some signal boosters on Amazon that many users buy but they are all for the PRO version of te RC.
2023-1-6
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 1-5 18:15
You shouldn't really, everyone will expect to achieve the same lol
You will need to add an FCC disclaimer ;)

No two results cam be compared with 100% certainty. Different terrains, frequencies, partial and constant obstacles...
2023-1-6
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

You're just too lazy to RTFM [read the f manual] - range tests environment is described there with both CE and FCC differences detailed. Remember also that it is registered as a small commercial drone therefore regulated as one
2023-1-6
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
United Kingdom

bxq Posted at 1-6 06:04
You're just too lazy to RTFM [read the f manual] - range tests environment is described there with both CE and FCC differences detailed. Remember also that it is registered as a small commercial drone therefore regulated as one

And you are too lazy to read my comments but judge based on what you presuppose to be true. your imaginary truth isn't the reality. I alrady mentioned that I went through the manual a few times and was aware that there was an issue with the drone range but didn't believe it was that bad.
So what if it's registered as a smal commercial drone? There have been others with the same weight and intention but they didn't display the M3P problems.
2023-1-6
Use props
bxq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3139314 ft
Poland

"your imaginary truth isn't the reality" and you mate have lost your plot a bit there Is there maybe a separate thread where you are whining about flight time on one battery?? It's just physics buddy.
2023-1-6
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone Buddy Posted at 1-6 01:07
From what I've watched and seen, I believe you are correct - CE is most certainly far lower over urban than what FCC is.

I saw some Italian guy (there is a post in the forum somewhere) who offers a hack for $69 for setting the RC only in FCC mode. I don't want to mess with the drone due to warranty.

I have it ;) its great, certainly the best one there is at present for the Mini 3 Pro as it can be permanent until either reset or new FW is added, also no warranty issues, just reset it ;)

You can only compare 2 or more results if done back to back, that way you can be fairly certain its error free so to speak.

Where i do my test, its 100% flat (Norfolk lol) no village for miles, just farmland with a few copseseses, cant get much better for a true range test rural. I wouldnt class the top of hill as a real life test, i know you have hit your PB that way and thats 100% fine for hitting ya PB's, i would love to do that too but i wouldnt use it as a test if ya know what i mean...
2023-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules