DJI Mini 3 Pro - DISAPPOINTMENT OF THE YEAR = RANGE!
23724 270 2022-12-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280860 ft
Ireland

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-13 11:08
Reread Sean's first sentence. He is correct, WHY are so many people having trouble with it. The answer is quite obvious to me. Internal antennae and the fact that the RC is a JOKE!! Manufactured with low-quality components and even less QC.
For those who think I'm nuts,
Here is the response from DJI Wanda and a link to the whole thread -

Thanks for the link reference!
2023-4-13
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mobilehomer Posted at 4-13 11:08
Reread Sean's first sentence. He is correct, WHY are so many people having trouble with it. The answer is quite obvious to me. Internal antennae and the fact that the RC is a JOKE!! Manufactured with low-quality components and even less QC.
For those who think I'm nuts,
Here is the response from DJI Wanda and a link to the whole thread -

The answer is quite obvious to me. Internal antennae and the fact that the RC is a JOKE!!

I do not agree, it is far from a ''JOKE!!'', it is certainly not the RC Pro, but a joke it is not and including the internal antennas into that statement is just wrong.

If I can get further using the Mini 3 Pro and the DJI RC than i ever could using the Mini 2, that right there certainly proves your statement to be inaccurate.

Granted, under certain conditions, it cannot keep up with such as the RC Pro, this should be expected as the DJI RC is over 3x cheaper than the RC pro.

For only £255 or $300, it is a low-cost alternative and even cheaper when bundled, that old adage springs to mind, "you get what you pay for", but calling it a joke though, it is far from it!
2023-4-13
Use props
Outpost6E
lvl.4
Germany

I am sure somebody has stated this before. It's all about obstruction.
The higher the frequency the more radiation behaves like visible light. So as long as there are no obstructions along the propagation path and you can maintain VLOS you can get a reasonable range. I was curious about that bc being a radio amateur and achieved more than 4 Km without a hassle. On the other hand, when flying in an urban environment the range sometimes was not more than 500 m. Certainly there are still other physics to be taken into account and of course pointing at the drone thoroughly but basically this is it.
2023-4-13
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone Buddy Posted at 4-13 10:19
Can you PLEASE read CAREFULLY what people write before you make your own assumptions about they said?

The flight of 2.5 km I mentioned was as an example of the fact that M3P DOES have a range issue when one flies it in condensed areas but mine was NOT in such area and that's why I flew it 2.5 km and had the feeling that I could go farther.

"Can you PLEASE read CAREFULLY what people write before you make your own assumptions about they said?
The flight of 2.5 km I mentioned was as an example of the fact that M3P DOES have a range issue when one flies it in condensed areas but mine was NOT in such area and that's why I flew it 2.5 km and had the feeling that I could go farther.
Obviously you do not have any data of how many users are complaining about the range of M3P. I've been to many forums, watched also many videos of users complaining about the range. And why are users complaining about the range of the Mini 3 Pro and not as much, or much less about the other drones? There is something in M3P that makes it very susceptible to the surroundings, not like most other DJI drones
."

If you are referring to your post I did, in fact, read you post carefully,  several times. Could you perhaps read mine with equal care.

With regards to "Obviously you do not have any data of how many users are complaining about the range of M3P. I've been to many forums, watched also many videos of users complaining about the range"............. You are correct, I do not have access to .........................,  do you? You say you have been on many forums and watched many videos etc.. Do you know that each and every poster is an entirely separate individual and that each and every Mini 3 pro 'discussed' is a different drone? Is it possible that poster A here is poster B somewhere else and poster C somewhere else again etc. etc..
It is my experience that it is not uncommon for complainers to make posts on multiple forums and media, this is down to either identical posts or logs or identical relevant data and thats only on two forums, here and Mavicpilots.

Do you know how many Mini 3 Pro drones have been sold world wide, if so how? I doubt you do, in fact I doubt any one, and that includes me, outside of DJI does. But I would assume that there must be thousands if not hundreds of thousands of Mini 3 pros being flown world wide otherwise I doubt DJI would continue to develop them. As such the number of complainers is likely to be a small percentage of the total number of pilots.
Again I would point out that people in general are far more likely to complain than they are to "sing praise" and that, as a consequence, we see a skewed sampling of the satisfaction of users.

With that in mind I see no foundation on which to base a statement such as " but most are having issues".  
I would also question how you can reach the conclusion that "Some, actually very few, are reaching a good distance flight distance " have you asked every Mini 3 Pro flyer?

To repeat, I do not doubt that some people are having problems but I would question the circumstances of their problematic flights.
I also do not doubt that some of the problematic flights will be due to flawed equipment, equipment that slips through the QC network. Maybe there are design problems but since flights to distance have been shown to be possible and documented and, as far as I remember, the OP did eventually get a flight to distance then there are other factors in play. You yourself say you have demonstrated this, do you not 'shoot yourself in the foot' by doing so?

Am I the one making assumptions or are you?

2023-4-14
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Bashy Posted at 4-13 18:25
The answer is quite obvious to me. Internal antennae and the fact that the RC is a JOKE!!

I do not agree, it is far from a ''JOKE!!'', it is certainly not the RC Pro, but a joke it is not and including the internal antennas into that statement is just wrong.

Read the DJI Wanda reply. It IS a joke. Folks that are buying it are expecting RC Pro performance and not getting RC N1 performance. A screen and extra wheel do not make it better, just smaller. OK, maybe not a joke, how about toy! Just read all the feature requests. The RC is barely capable of running Fly, and not then if you enable too many routines.
2023-4-14
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 4-14 00:04
"Can you PLEASE read CAREFULLY what people write before you make your own assumptions about they said?
Obviously you do not have any data of how many users are complaining about the range of M3P. I've been to many forums, watched also many videos of users complaining about the range. And why are users complaining about the range of the Mini 3 Pro and not as much, or much less about the other drones? There is something in M3P that makes it very susceptible to the surroundings, not like most other DJI drones."

Please use your deflection and attack back tactics on someone else because you are trying to downplay the serious range problem M3P has. This is the first drone with the biggest backslash because of its range. It is so susceptible to all kinds of obstacles that it seems that if one farts then the range drops, figuratively speaking.
2023-4-14
Use props
rakker Horizon
New

Netherlands

Hi guys

Probably this is not the right way to post my question. How can I do so ?
Dar
2023-6-16
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

rakker Horizon Posted at 6-16 09:54
Hi guys

Probably this is not the right way to post my question. How can I do so ?

What do you want to do?
2023-6-16
Use props
Blackbuckone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68967 ft
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2022-12-31 09:25
Range varies with the surrounding enviroment and how accurately the drone's and controller's antennae are pointed at one another.
I have seen my Mavic mini lose connection at around 400m or less in one place and yet exceed specs somewhere else. I have seen a Mavic Mini reach well beyond spec in somewhere suitable and it was the pilot's nerve that caused the turn around, not loss of signal. My Mavic Mini can also lose connection directly overhead but at height.

I agree.

I've had 4.2 km and 4.1 on test flights with mine at a height of 120m. Each time I bottled it and RTH, although I don't think it would have gone much further as the battery was pretty low when I got it back.

I was more than happy with that range

Get out in the open with a clear line of sight, Wi-Fi too really messes with the signal, colleges and offices etc will totally wipe it out.

2023-6-16
Use props
redfarmer
New
Austria

Hi all,

I bought my mini 3 pro this week, got delivered on Friday. Tried to fly it 3 times, 3 different places, the last one in the middle of nowhere.
The range my drone could achieve was approx 40m. Yes, 40, forty. At that point RTH initiated.

It is already on the way back to Amazon and I don't think I'll try another one.

Cheers

PS: EU country so CE version.
2023-7-9
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

redfarmer Posted at 7-9 10:18
Hi all,

I bought my mini 3 pro this week, got delivered on Friday. Tried to fly it 3 times, 3 different places, the last one in the middle of nowhere.

Hi. So did the middle of nowhere have any buildings around, any airports, cellular towers, for example? 40 meters is way too short. I was flying mine in the city and managed to get to about 350-400 m, but when i stood on a hill and flew from there, I managed to get 4200 m one way and then back.
2023-7-10
Use props
Larry77084
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44534 ft
United States

If you don't like the drone get rid of it!   I think we have beaten the dead horse enough.  
2023-7-10
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Larry77084 Posted at 7-10 09:37
If you don't like the drone get rid of it!   I think we have beaten the dead horse enough.

They like the drone. They don't like the signal range...

Who put you in charge anyway???
2023-7-10
Use props
Larry77084
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44534 ft
United States

No one put me in charge, however every time someone posts something positive the OP retorts with the same complaint. So, if you don't like it get something else, why beleaguer the point? If I were in the OP's position that's what I would do.
2023-7-11
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

Burt37 Posted at 7-10 16:27
They like the drone. They don't like the signal range...

Who put you in charge anyway???

Exactly my thoughts.
2023-7-11
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Larry77084 Posted at 7-11 06:47
No one put me in charge, however every time someone posts something positive the OP retorts with the same complaint. So, if you don't like it get something else, why beleaguer the point? If I were in the OP's position that's what I would do.

I had to look it up... "Beleaguer the point". I'm always happy to learn a new word. Thank you

Not sure if you can beleaguer a point, as it is not a person, but I get the gist of what you meant...

In all honesty, I do enjoy reading this thread as there are lots of good points as well...

2023-7-11
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Never mind, i got that wrong, i realised ''point'' was being the word in question
2023-7-11
Use props
fansa10dc921
New

Brazil

so, poor range fixed or  not? lol i just bought mine 2 weeks ago and i only can reach 400m as well, idk what to do
2023-7-24
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

fansa10dc921 Posted at 7-24 14:23
so, poor range fixed or  not? lol i just bought mine 2 weeks ago and i only can reach 400m as well, idk what to do

In terms of pushing a firmware update which fixes the range issue - nope! There isn't any. However, I would advise you to read the discussion from the start as there are several useful tips about getting a better range.

When I bought mine, it also had about 300 m range BUT... There are reasons for that and there are many. That's why I think it's crucial for you to go over the whole discussion and learn some new things.

After my initial disappointment, I did many tests and managed to get 4300 m one way with the Mini 3 Pro!
2023-7-24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansa10dc921 Posted at 7-24 14:23
so, poor range fixed or  not? lol i just bought mine 2 weeks ago and i only can reach 400m as well, idk what to do

Hi there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Have you already tried flying your DJI Mini 2 to a different location with less interference to see if the issue will still persist(as also mentioned by sean-bumble-bee from reply #2)? The said DJI drone might have picked up some interference on the ground, and you took off close to a building with rebar concrete metal objects on it. In addition, please make sure that the antennas are pointed toward the aircraft for optimal transmission (refer to User Manual page 32).
2023-7-25
Use props
AsturianCetorix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46814 ft
Spain

Well, legally you must see the drone at all times, so it doesn´t really matters to have a range of 1km vs 12...
2023-7-29
Use props
Cllb4578
New

United States

I just received my M3P today. Range not even 1 km. Frustrated also. I’ve watch the videos and the hack with the rc on the drone didn’t work. However I will try the switch between frequencies tomorrow. Will let you know. I’ve also emailed DJI about this issue. Waiting on response.
2023-8-14
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

Cllb4578 Posted at 8-14 19:57
I just received my M3P today. Range not even 1 km. Frustrated also. I’ve watch the videos and the hack with the rc on the drone didn’t work. However I will try the switch between frequencies tomorrow. Will let you know. I’ve also emailed DJI about this issue. Waiting on response.

In what surroundings are you flying your drone? When I got mine, I started flying it in a dense area and my range was even worse than yours as I could go only 400 m. However, when I went to a high hill and few the drone down over the fields, I was able to send it to 4.3 km and another 4.3 km back.

Another very important thing to watch for is that altitude difference between the RC (you) and the drone as it can make a huge difference. For example, if you are at ground zero near the sea but you fly the drone up and behind a big building, you will lose connectivity very quickly.

Pay attention to antenna towers nearby as well.
2023-8-15
Use props
djiuser_Gg4ljGDHuaIH
New

United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 2022-12-31 09:25
Range varies with the surrounding enviroment and how accurately the drone's and controller's antennae are pointed at one another.
I have seen my Mavic mini lose connection at around 400m or less in one place and yet exceed specs somewhere else. I have seen a Mavic Mini reach well beyond spec in somewhere suitable and it was the pilot's nerve that caused the turn around, not loss of signal. My Mavic Mini can also lose connection directly overhead but at height.

Same issue. Tried different areas and max 650m . Disappointed of this product
1-1 03:30
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Let me try to explain about radio communication in a simple way, by analogy with light, it’s the same electromagnetic wave)
So, pure ether is analogous to the darkest night far outside the city. Let's imagine the remote control transmitter in the form of a flashlight, and the antenna in the form of a reflector and lens.
1. The simplest situation is that you stood on a mountain on a dark night and launched a drone, started shining a remote control flashlight at it, i.e. the antennas were pointed correctly. In this case, the drone can fly many kilometers, even tens of kilometers, and in the dark night the light of a flashlight aimed at the drone will be visible.
2. The situation is a little more complicated, for example the same as in the previous example, but outside there is fog, snow, rain, smog - whatever. Light will have difficulty penetrating such a medium and the communication range will decrease.
3. Next, the same dark night, good weather, but you are not standing on a hill, but in the forest, light breaks through the trees, but not very far - the connection is much worse.
4. You are in a village, the night is dark, but the light is interrupted by houses, in principle, light is visible from your drone, but not directly from a flashlight, but reflected light from the wall of a neighboring house - there will also be a connection, but not far. Change your position and the connection will be excellent.
5. You are in the city, there is light shining from all the windows, which creates flare, and after a few hundred meters your drone cannot distinguish the light of your flashlight from the light of lanterns on the street, a spotlight at a construction site, and from the windows of buildings. It is clear that here the light sources are an analogue of radio signals from different sources - wi-fi, cellular communications, home appliances, electric motors, etc. That is. communication within a few hundred meters.
6. The same situation as in step 5, only you stand under a street lamp with a flashlight (analogous to a cell tower) and try to fly - the connection will be even worse, the street lamp will simply block your light. Fly away to 100-200 meters.
7. The same situation as in step 5, only you went to a dark place where there are no trees or a light source, and the drone can fly over houses and other obstacles - the connection will be an order of magnitude better than in step 6. Conclusion - always look for the start an open space without interference is the most important thing in a city. Fly 1 km, conditionally of course)
8. You want to increase the range in the city even more than in step 7, what should you do? Turn on the BLUE flashlight) I.e. for example, red light shines from windows and streetlights, and you use blue) And your drone will be able to distinguish your signal from others that are red at an even greater distance - this is analogous to switching to the 5.8 band.
9. Well, the most radical way is to increase the brightness of the flashlight - analogous to turning on the FCC

In this example, I conditionally considered the connection in only one direction between the remote control and the drone, but the same principle applies in the opposite direction, with some nuances.

I hope I explained it clearly.
1-1 03:53
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Gg4ljGDHuaIH Posted at 1-1 03:30
Same issue. Tried different areas and max 650m . Disappointed of this product

Fair enough but why are you bothered about not being able to go beyond 650m?
I would bet that that is already beyond the range of your unaided eyesight and, as far as I rememeber, "having the drone in sight" is still a UK requirement.
1-1 06:05
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 22:16
Use props
nikonya
lvl.2
Flight distance : 527740 ft
Slovenia

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-1 06:05
Fair enough but why are you bothered about not being able to go beyond 650m?
I would bet that that is already beyond the range of your unaided eyesight and, as far as I rememeber, "having the drone in sight" is still a UK requirement.

This is actually requirement in almost all countries and there is no way you can see drone this small after few hundred mt anyway.  That's why in a densely populated area I would limit its range to 500mt anyway, so that we can avoid "drone idiots" who doesn't care about any legislation or common sense when flying above other people. I bet 90% of them doesn't even know that there is a law behind drone flying.

In open nature area it is completely different picture and VLOS in middle of nowhere doesn't really make a lot of sense - but most of the people, as I understood, have the biggest issues in populated areas anyway.
I tested mine up to 3km and that is max what I need in open spaces.
1-8 07:08
Use props
Dingaling
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15807 ft

United Kingdom

AntonioTech Posted at 2022-12-31 09:41
I know enough about radio waves and obstacles and that the declared range can't be reached in real-time scenarios but to have 450 m over 12 km is way off.

Maybe you haven't read my whole post and start condemning what I posted - I tried 3 different areas and in all of them the range was pathetic. All 3 areas were in different locations. In one case, I was on the top of the hill and flew the drone downwards, basically giving advantage to the signal. The max range I could get was 455 m.

Signal travels better downwards? Gravity?
1-9 12:36
Use props
Drone Buddy
lvl.4
Ireland

Dingaling Posted at 1-9 12:36
Signal travels better downwards? Gravity?

From ChatGPT:

The statement "signal travels better downwards" is not universally true in all contexts. The propagation of signals, whether it's electromagnetic waves, sound waves, or other types of signals, depends on various factors, and the directionality of signal transmission can be influenced by these factors.

For example, in the context of radio frequency (RF) signals, which are commonly used in communication technologies, the propagation of signals can be affected by obstacles, atmospheric conditions, and the frequency of the signal. In some cases, signals may exhibit better propagation characteristics when transmitted downward, while in other situations, upward or horizontal transmission might be more effective.

Factors influencing signal propagation include:

Obstacles: Buildings, trees, and other obstacles can block or reflect signals. The downward direction may have fewer obstacles, leading to better signal propagation.

Atmospheric conditions: Certain frequencies of signals may be affected differently by atmospheric conditions. Lower frequencies, for example, tend to propagate better through obstacles and over long distances.

Frequency: Different frequencies have different propagation characteristics. Lower frequencies generally have better penetration through obstacles, while higher frequencies may be better for line-of-sight communication.

Antenna orientation and design: The design and orientation of antennas play a crucial role in signal transmission. Antennas can be designed to have directional patterns that favor certain directions.

It's important to note that the specific characteristics of signal propagation depend on the type of signal and the medium through which it travels. For instance, sound waves may behave differently than electromagnetic waves. Therefore, the statement "signal travels better downwards" should be considered within the specific context of the type of signal and the conditions in which it is transmitted.
1-30 15:07
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drone Buddy Posted at 2023-4-14 13:49
Please use your deflection and attack back tactics on someone else because you are trying to downplay the serious range problem M3P has. This is the first drone with the biggest backslash because of its range. It is so susceptible to all kinds of obstacles that it seems that if one farts then the range drops, figuratively speaking.

I beg to differ, it does not have a serious range problem, it has an end-user problem and if you lived over here in England i would have taken you out with me to show you the capabilities of mine and yours.
1-30 19:10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules