DJI Pilot 2, difference between Oblique and Smart Oblique?
4307 5 2023-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alvisesus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 110663 ft
Italy

Hi all,
I just bought a Mavic 3E with RTK module and as my first photogrammetry (3D model) task I'll have to take pictures for a quite flat kart track. I'll then edit this 3D model to use it in a simracing software.
I see that Oblique creates a 5 tasks which will take around 2h30mins and 12200 photos, while Smart Oblique creates 2 tasks with around 15-16000 photos and would take ~4h. Both have a GSD of 0.32cm/px.
What should I use... Oblique task or Mapping with smart Oblique? I don't understand which would be better for my task.
The minimum high is 12meters, is there a way to have 7-8meters and then a lower GSD and better resolution?
Thanks
Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 19.02.49.png

2023-1-1
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've just tried out the Smart Oblique for the first time and was pretty surprised with what all it did. It takes photos at three different angles on each flight line. It also extends beyond the area you select just to get enough coverage. I recently did a golf course in my area and it did a great job. Very time efficient workflow.

Golf Course.JPG
2023-1-2
Use props
alvisesus
lvl.2
Italy

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-2 09:36
I've just tried out the Smart Oblique for the first time and was pretty surprised with what all it did. It takes photos at three different angles on each flight line. It also extends beyond the area you select just to get enough coverage. I recently did a golf course in my area and it did a great job. Very time efficient workflow.

[view_image]

Ah waw, thank you so much for the pictures! It seems a great result! Which pitch did you set to get that result?

In case, while taking photos, a car or person passes by and I want to redo the last set of shots, do you know if there is an easy way to tell the drone to redo just the last shot (so it should go back to the last position and take the picture again)??
2023-1-2
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13335725 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes the results were excellent. I just went with the default settings in the Pilot 2 app for everything.  I don't know of a way to rewind a part of the mission though. You could easily pause the flight if you needed to. My golf course mission was done on 3 different batteries. The third one was actually done on the next day. So if you need to land for a battery swap or anything, it'll go back and start wherever the mission was paused at previously. I wouldn't worry much if an unwanted car or person was in a few photos. Your photogrammetry software won't render in something that was only in a few frames. There was a few  golf carts in my dataset but they didn't show up in the rendered model.
2023-1-2
Use props
alvisesus
lvl.2
Italy

Johnnokomis Posted at 1-2 13:32
Yes the results were excellent. I just went with the default settings in the Pilot 2 app for everything.  I don't know of a way to rewind a part of the mission though. You could easily pause the flight if you needed to. My golf course mission was done on 3 different batteries. The third one was actually done on the next day. So if you need to land for a battery swap or anything, it'll go back and start wherever the mission was paused at previously. I wouldn't worry much if an unwanted car or person was in a few photos. Your photogrammetry software won't render in something that was only in a few frames. There was a few  golf carts in my dataset but they didn't show up in the rendered model.

ah nice, that's actually fantastic to be able to pause and continue later or another day!
2023-1-2
Use props
fans566d4ddd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

alvisesus Posted at 1-2 13:51
ah nice, that's actually fantastic to be able to pause and continue later or another day!

To continue the mission in anther day, it's nice but you must be aware of the wether and light conditions .
2023-1-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules