Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in the fog...
4526 33 2023-1-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40823 ft
Hungary

Is it normal that my Mini 3 Pro always wants to land immediately when flying in the fog? Shouldn't it continue flying if it has connection to 21 sattellites?  Thx
2023-1-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
Flight distance : 10238648 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are really trying to check all the boxes eh?
2023-1-1
Use props
primeshooter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Mine just states 'low visibility, fly with caution'. What do you mean...are you saying it tries to force land because this is not what I am experiencing.
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

Yes it stops abruptly and saying “landing” and I can’t control it
2023-1-1
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I just get "visibility low - fly with caution" on mine.
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

gnirtS Posted at 1-1 12:06
I just get "visibility low - fly with caution" on mine.

And is the visibility super low?
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

TonyPHX Posted at 1-1 11:53
You are really trying to check all the boxes eh?

Kinda feels that way :-)
2023-1-1
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Define "super low"?
2-3m or so.

2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

gnirtS Posted at 1-1 12:25
Define "super low"?
2-3m or so.

19BE9575-7E40-4472-A96E-777C0DE6FAC7.jpeg
2023-1-1
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

That's plenty of visibility.  Cant see that causing issues at all other than warning about it.

I assume you've tried calibrating the sensors using DJI Assistant?
2023-1-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Captain
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In other drones it is not uncommon, can't comment on the mini 3.
But is it wise to fly in such conditions?  You risk water getting into the drone, perhaps ice formation, not being able see something in time to take avoiding action and not being able to see the drone full stop.
If something went wrong and someone was injured as a consequence its going to be your neck and wallet on the chopping block.
2023-1-1
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

In most countries its illegal (vlos rules) unless theres a hole with clear sky to punch through.
2023-1-1
Use props
The Saint
Captain
Flight distance : 5575873 ft
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 1-1 15:14
In most countries its illegal (vlos rules) unless theres a hole with clear sky to punch through.

i thought the whole idea around vlos is so you can see not just your own drone but also so you can scan the airspace in and around your drone for other aircraft?  how can you do that when it's foggy?
2023-1-1
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

It is not legal, but most importantly it is not responsible.  
2023-1-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is very common as the sensors see the water particles as an object, be it landing or horizontal sensors. At least with the front and back, they can be turned off with a flick of the switch.
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

gnirtS Posted at 1-1 13:20
That's plenty of visibility.  Cant see that causing issues at all other than warning about it.

I assume you've tried calibrating the sensors using DJI Assistant?

Good idea. I will do that. Thx
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

The Saint Posted at 1-1 15:57
i thought the whole idea around vlos is so you can see not just your own drone but also so you can scan the airspace in and around your drone for other aircraft?  how can you do that when it's foggy?

You’re right.
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

TonyPHX Posted at 1-1 17:33
It is not legal, but most importantly it is not responsible.

Sure but it was my own property with zero people around and I wanted a little practice
2023-1-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MetaFlexa Posted at 1-1 20:36
Sure but it was my own property with zero people around and I wanted a little practice

Its not really about where you are or folks being around, its about you being able to see incoming aircraft.
2023-1-1
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

Bashy Posted at 1-1 23:09
Its not really about where you are or folks being around, its about you being able to see incoming aircraft.

Very true. Although I was well below max altitude allowed by law
2023-1-1
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 11832986 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Only reason for this is that the bottom height sensor measures false height, due to the fog.
This will force an autolanding.

Measuring 0.5 meter false height AND stick down = autolanding.

Nothing you can do about this, as this sensor cannot switch off. It is always on.....

cheers
JJB
2023-1-2
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

Now this makes total sense! Thank you.
2023-1-2
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-1 15:57

You cant fly *in* fog.
Most countries rules state that clear.
If you cant see the drone and have no spacial awareness of the airspace its not VLOS.

You can fly up through a hole in the fog provided you keep it in sight but i dont know anywhere where its legal to fly through or in fog.
2023-1-2
Use props
Drone.Hunter
First Officer
Flight distance : 1200709 ft
Kazakhstan

JJB* Posted at 1-2 00:56
Hi,

Only reason for this is that the bottom height sensor measures false height, due to the fog.

Auto-landing can be disabled by workarounds.
2023-1-2
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Being unable to disable OA/VPS in the Mini 3 is problematic in a number of scenarios.  I miss that option from my Mavic 2.
2023-1-2
Use props
JJB*
Captain
Flight distance : 11832986 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Drone.Hunter Posted at 1-2 06:37
Auto-landing can be disabled by workarounds.

oke...how ??
2023-1-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Captain
  • >>>
United States

MetaFlexa Posted at 1-1 20:36

Rather than debate, I'll just fast forward to the part where understanding is achieved.  The airspace....  Anyways, enjoy and have fun.  Be safe!
2023-1-2
Use props
MetaFlexa
lvl.3
Hungary

TonyPHX Posted at 1-2 10:57
Rather than debate, I'll just fast forward to the part where understanding is achieved.  The airspace....  Anyways, enjoy and have fun.  Be safe!

absolutely correct :-) I'm learning...
2023-1-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 1-2 04:42
You cant fly *in* fog.
Most countries rules state that clear.
If you cant see the drone and have no spacial awareness of the airspace its not VLOS.

I think a "hole" in the fog could be called into question in regards to Article 241 as you cannot see the whole of the airspace, probably much the same as flying from within a city with high rises in the way. If something is blocking your view be it even from just one direction then you are not able to ascertain flight traffic from that direction. Also, fog can reduce sound travel therefore any air traffic could be on top of you sooner than normal.

In the UK we have the ANO (Air Navigation Order) and within that we have CAP 722, guidance on the law for UAS. If there is one article within that that one should follow and that is Article 241, its a catch-all, and that is...

A person must not recklessly or negligently cause or permit an aircraft to endanger any person or property.

Whereas before, we were only told to follow the drone code, it was just a really condensed pamphlet, now when you google Drone Code, it should point you to here https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/drone-code it now expands on the original drone code and also, there is a section there;

Background: Drones and model aircraft in the law
Some of the key points of law behind this Code.

They do not tell you to read the ANO or other Articles for that matter BUT now this is a big one, we are expected to read it so that we know the guidance and acts.

In the eyes of the CAA or the courts for that matter, ignorance is not bliss when it comes to the airspace. It is up to us as pilots to read and understand what is expected of us. Now i wouldnt tell anyone to read either the ANO (worse than the bible is that) or CAP 722 (you should at least browse CAP 722 though), thats just as bad but nowhere near as bad as the full ANO.

FYI, I'm just letting you know whats what, nothing more than that as i am probably the last person that should be telling others what to do lol
2023-1-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, MetaFlexa. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. It is caused by the fog as thin air will affect the aircraft’s propulsion, resulting in propulsion overload, sudden descent when hovering, unstable flight, etc. Please avoid flying through clouds or in a heavy fog environment, which will affect the Vision Systems. Have a safe flight always!
2023-1-2
Use props
Mirec5050
lvl.3
Flight distance : 656555 ft
Slovakia

my previous mini 2 didn't have a problem withit,i don't think the mini 3 pro couldn't handle it!   
2023-7-6
Use props
Burt37
Captain
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I can't really say that it is fun...

2023-7-6
Use props
Tuxtard
Captain
Flight distance : 9811827 ft
Serbia

Rules and warnings aside, in theory you can put some black tape on your bottoms sensors. They are pretty useless in the fog anyway. Just be careful to tape them really good so that bottom cameras can't see anything other than pure blackness. If not you risk that the drone picks the tape as an obstacle that it will try to avoid by increasing altitude and it will go straight to the stratosphere. Also be careful when landing as the drone will not be able to see the ground and decrease speed before ramming into it.
2023-7-6
Use props
Rich Faulkner
New

United States

Hence we have the instruments kinda
2-17 06:29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules