Remote ID enabled/disabled outside EU and US?
7648 25 2023-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fhoelterhoff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 328 ft
Germany

Hello everyone!

I did not find anything about my question in the forum or elsewhere so maybe someone here can help:

I own a Mavic 3 Cine and I know that Remote ID is enabled by default with the new Firmware and there is no way to deactivate it. But what about flying the drone in countries where remote ID is not forced by law? I am not asking because of breaking laws, I am more concerned about the issue that everyone with a smartphone can now detect the location of my expensive drone, or mine as a pilot. But this thread shall not be about that topic or if that my happen or not. I just want to know, if I can deactivate remote ID in other countries or if it is deactiviated automatically, when the drone detects I am not in the EU or US.

Does anybody know something about that?

Cheers and thanks!
Flo
2023-1-3
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

sir, i don't think anyone knows the answer to that question for sure until remote id is actually being transmitted from your drone, which today i do not think it is.

my guess is once it is being transmitted, it cannot be stopped (while flying) regardless of where the drone is located.  perhaps someone will create some sort of workaround later on.
2023-1-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Flo. Thank you for reaching out. The Remote ID will only be broadcasted when you are in the country/region where it is implemented. We recommend that you always check for local laws and regulations before flying the drone in other areas. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2023-1-3
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-3 08:29
sir, i don't think anyone knows the answer to that question for sure until remote id is actually being transmitted from your drone, which today i do not think it is.

my guess is once it is being transmitted, it cannot be stopped (while flying) regardless of where the drone is located.  perhaps someone will create some sort of workaround later on.

oh it is.  its live.  if you have a rid receiver or app, you can see it.  as soon as you arm the motors...
creepy invasion of privacy dji.  the thing that turns my stomach is apple an google both are allowing the app.  that reveals someones location...live.  its a security risk they don't have to allow an app.  but they want that 30%.  well when someone gets harmed, they have the deepest wallets an dji is right around the corner.  your gonna get sued for revealing peoples location dji.  
2023-1-4
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 1-4 10:38
oh it is.  its live.  if you have a rid receiver or app, you can see it.  as soon as you arm the motors...
creepy invasion of privacy dji.  the thing that turns my stomach is apple an google both are allowing the app.  that reveals someones location...live.  its a security risk they don't have to allow an app.  but they want that 30%.  well when someone gets harmed, they have the deepest wallets an dji is right around the corner.  your gonna get sued for revealing peoples location dji.

we've all been waiting to see what it being broadcast so please post it so we can all learn.  tell us which drone(s) you are using and what app(s) you have downloaded.  and then tell the information that is being broadcast, what are the actual details?  a screenshot would be great but most importantly, we want to know if it gives away personal details in addition to the location and other identifying information.  you said it's live so let's see it please.  how far away are you picking up the broadcast?
2023-1-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

I can't speak to the UK or Europe, but in the US it is in the RID description that no private information is broadcast.
2023-1-4
Use props
djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 884301 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-4 12:10
I can't speak to the UK or Europe, but in the US it is in the RID description that no private information is broadcast.

thats misleading.  its usually stated in front of "it gives your location up".  you location is your back yard, it is giving that away.  the fact is.  it gives away a persons location to a bunch of strangers...an does not track their access.  
2023-1-4
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 Posted at 1-4 13:40
thats misleading.  its usually stated in front of "it gives your location up".  you location is your back yard, it is giving that away.  the fact is.  it gives away a persons location to a bunch of strangers...an does not track their access.

Private Information - phone number, e-mail, name, address.
2023-1-4
Use props
fhoelterhoff
lvl.4
Germany

So first of all, I wan't to thank everybody for responding to my question. I think this is a very important topic for every drone pilot.

The Saint, as djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 said, it is live. You can read that in the Manual, it was postet from DJI itself with the release notes of the firmware and if you type in magic 3 remote id at YouTube, you will get a lot of videos to that topic. If you want to know, what is broadcasted, then have a look at that video her:

2023-1-5
Use props
fhoelterhoff
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 1-3 23:35
Hi, Flo. Thank you for reaching out. The Remote ID will only be broadcasted when you are in the country/region where it is implemented. We recommend that you always check for local laws and regulations before flying the drone in other areas. Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and have a nice day!

Thank you DJI Tony, that was exactly what I was hoping. So if I understood correctly (you said implemented), remote ID will not be broadcasted in countries, where remote ID is not forced or required by law, for example Thailand, Vietnam. So people with a smartphone and an app, for example Drone Scanner, can not see the pilot's or drone's location, is that correct?
2023-1-5
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fhoelterhoff Posted at 1-5 02:58
So first of all, I wan't to thank everybody for responding to my question. I think this is a very important topic for every drone pilot.

The Saint, as djiuser_EEXtim8SFbZ6 said, it is live. You can read that in the Manual, it was postet from DJI itself with the release notes of the firmware and if you type in magic 3 remote id at YouTube, you will get a lot of videos to that topic. If you want to know, what is broadcasted, then have a look at that video her: Mavic 3 remote ID Date transmitted

thanks for posting the video.  it's interesting that he mentioned no apple ios and almost all android devices currently will not work until they get an upgrade and i'm thinking he's talking about wifi only, no bt.  perhaps that is why many people haven't yet been able to use a mobile phone to detect rid.  perhaps there drone is indeed broadcasting (in america) just no phone+app is able to read it.  the guy sounds pretty credible, it appears he is capturing "everything" that is being sent/broadcast and there should be no surprises later on.  still, i'm not a rid fan.  the range is pretty extreme to me, that's my entire neighborhood.
2023-1-5
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fhoelterhoff Posted at 1-5 02:59
Thank you DJI Tony, that was exactly what I was hoping. So if I understood correctly (you said implemented), remote ID will not be broadcasted in countries, where remote ID is not forced or required by law, for example Thailand, Vietnam. So people with a smartphone and an app, for example Drone Scanner, can not see the pilot's or drone's location, is that correct?

this guy appears to be in a non-US country:  
2023-1-5
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-5 15:07
this guy appears to be in a non-US country:  https://youtu.be/nzV1rJGTyMw

This video appears to be filmed in Prague in the Czech Republic from the GPS coordinates shown on the phone of the drone location from the Remote ID.
2023-1-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fhoelterhoff Posted at 1-5 02:59

You are welcome. As confirmed by our engineers, the Remote ID will not be broadcasted in countries that do not require it, so yes. We hope this clarifies your concern. Happy flying!
2023-1-9
Use props
fhoelterhoff
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Tony Posted at 1-9 03:09
You are welcome. As confirmed by our engineers, the Remote ID will not be broadcasted in countries that do not require it, so yes. We hope this clarifies your concern. Happy flying!

Thank you for that clear answer/verification. That is very good to know!
2023-1-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fhoelterhoff Posted at 1-16 06:02
Thank you for that clear answer/verification. That is very good to know!

We're glad to be of assistance. Happy flying!
2023-1-16
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

DJI Tony Posted at 1-9 03:09

So how you explain I'm currently detecting my Mavic 3 up to 2.5Km with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 tablet sitting on a table in my garden in Spain, am I a wizard?

Drone_listener_01.jpg

Pujar02.jpg

Pujar_03.jpg

Mavic 3 was already being detected even at 01.00.0800, and although I don't have them, based on other people texting, Mini 3, Air2S and Avata may be also emitting in Europe and can be detected by both DroneScanner and OpenDroneID free apps at Google Play.
2023-1-17
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

Mobilehomer Posted at 1-4 13:58
Private Information - phone number, e-mail, name, address.

Who needs all that when any Android device can pick up the pilots location at 2.5+ Km, you don't need to active track the drone, you just need to pick up ONE beacon. Burglars can easily then go to the transmitted pilot location and retrieve 2.000€+ of photography equipment at no cost, just point the gun, ask gently and go away.

Drone pilots are being forced out of urban/populated environment by overregulation, so who is going to help you when you are flying your drone in the middle of nowhere and two guys with a gun appear to pick up their monthly gains, Superdroneman?

Do we live in a fairytale so we can happyly have our drones screamin "COME AND ROB ME, PLEASE, I'M JUST A MAVIC 3 CINE, I ONLY COST 4.800€!!!" all around for anyone to pick up at 2,5Km? Oh, I feel lucky, I think I'll go with my fancy Lowepro bag full of glass through the suburbs, and see what happens, maybe I don't get robbed at all, see those guys with the guns and pointy knives, they totally just want to chat about my R5 camera, sure, I'm really sure that no one would rob me, haha.

PS: And with a dedicated high gain antenna and an inexpensive receiver, I'm well aware that you can pick that beacon form 5+ Km away easily.
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 542431 ft
Germany

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 1-17 02:58
So how you explain I'm currently detecting my Mavic 3 up to 2.5Km with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 tablet sitting on a table in my garden in Spain, am I a wizard?

[view_image]
[Image]

Since Spain is in the EU, I don't see how this contradicts the statement. Am I missing something?
2023-1-17
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ Posted at 1-17 04:00
Since Spain is in the EU, I don't see how this contradicts the statement. Am I missing something?

On the current european transitional period eID, or how it's called RID in Europe, is still not legislated, only RID in US is fully active (or in activation period till September of this year), so no drone in Europe should be giving away your location, doing that is a plain and simple privacy violation from DJI part.

On the other hand , <250g in Europe (when eID legislation becomes a real thing) will be exempt from emitting eID, but you have that the Mini 3 may be giving away your location at this moment (don't have it so I can't personally test it).

Talking specifically about Spain, we are in a transitionl period and it still has to be approved the new Real Decreto about drones, currently the transitional legislation is a mixture of the current 1036/2017 regulation and the EASA regulation. So for the moment and until it's approved by the new Real Decreto for drones, that nobody knows when will be approved because drone legislation in europe is going slow, no drone in Spain should be emitting eID/RID at this moment.
2023-1-17
Use props
djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 542431 ft
Germany

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 1-17 04:09
On the current european transitional period eID, or how it's called RID in Europe, is still not legislated, only RID in US is fully active (or in activation period till September of this year), so no drone in Europe should be giving away your location, doing that is a plain and simple privacy violation from DJI part.

On the other hand ,

It might be enabled to make the Mavic 3 C1 compliant as it can already be retrofitted with the the C1 marking and flown in the A1 category.
2023-1-17
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

djiuser_21vazN53a4oJ Posted at 1-17 05:01
It might be enabled to make the Mavic 3 C1 compliant as it can already be retrofitted with the the C1 marking and flown in the A1 category.

Supporting RID capabilities doesn't mean actually emitting RID.

Drones in the US didn't start to emit RID (although they were capable) till they needed to be compliant with the new law. We were just thrown to the same wagon despite it is not supported by legislation yet.

When you engage the motors on the Mavic 3 after updating the firmware in US, it advises you if RID is working correctly or not, while on europe the Mavic 3 just transmits your locoation happily without telling you so.
2023-1-17
Use props
The Saint
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

So how you explain I'm currently detecting my Mavic 3 up to 2.5Km with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 tablet sitting on a table in my garden in Spain, am I a wizard?

[view_image]

simple.  when you are approached by armed robbers, the drone pilot shall use his own firearm to defend himself against the criminals.  oh, wait....never mind.  
2023-1-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

So how you explain I'm currently detecting my Mavic 3 up to 2.5Km with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 tablet sitting on a table in my garden in Spain, am I a wizard?

[view_image]

Hi there. The RID function is part of the new CE certification. The aircraft supporting C1 certification means that it supports RID too. RID takes effect automatically and does not need to be activated. However, according to the regulations, the user needs to upload the pilot registration number to the aircraft. This is stated in the user manual. If the user does not upload, the aircraft will still broadcast RID, but the pilot registration number is empty. Thank you.
2023-1-18
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Tony Posted at 1-18 01:28
Hi there. The RID function is part of the new CE certification. The aircraft supporting C1 certification means that it supports RID too. RID takes effect automatically and does not need to be activated. However, according to the regulations, the user needs to upload the pilot registration number to the aircraft. This is stated in the user manual. If the user does not upload, the aircraft will still broadcast RID, but the pilot registration number is empty. Thank you.

Emmiting your operator ID, location, etc is not mandatory yet, it will be at some point, but currently is not supported by any law.

The only thing mandatory in that regard in Spain is to put a metal badge on your drone and your controller with your data and operator ID, but not transmit.

RID is only legally bound in US atm, yet we still get the same transmission capabilities, whereas in Europe there's no standard transmission ptrotocol to comply with yet. So until the equivalent of the "Remote identification final rule" in Europe is released, no drone should be emitting. Being able to transmit to comply with the manufacturer regulation =/= actually transmit.

I understand you can't blame Ducati for the speed limits, but when your Ducati is transmitting to the cops your location and data (Aeroscope, which is a privacy violation on its own) and to absolutely everyone else with a phone and a free app (OpenDroneID and DroneScanner), I may start to worry and ask WHY a person at 5Km should know where my Ducati is at every moment when It's not even a legislation supporting that broadcast in Europe yet.

Anyway, little people know that their drones are currently broadcasting in Europe, we'll start to see the effects of RID on US pilots first, where it's already official.

Happy flying... I mean surviving, because that's what drone hobby has become, a hide&seek where every day is less and less people flying, good for Amazon I guess.
2023-1-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Huginn Kenningar Posted at 1-18 02:14
Emmiting your operator ID, location, etc is not mandatory yet, it will be at some point, but currently is not supported by any law.

The only thing mandatory in that regard in Spain is to put a metal badge on your drone and your controller with your data and operator ID, but not transmit.

We understand your input, Huginn Kenningar. We will forward your concern to our related team for confirmation. Thank you.
2023-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules