1587 37 2023-1-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CharlieChelt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 633 ft
United Kingdom

Hello All,

I apologise if this is regurgitating another post!

I am a Mavic Pro owner and always used Gopros for years, however this year i've made the jump to the Action 3 instead of the Gopro 11.

In the last few days (after ordering my camera) all i can see online about the camera is this 'focus issue'.

Now I dont know if this information is clouding my judgement, so i'm after someone to look over my test footage, link below, to see if it looks soft or about right?

Thanks to my dad for being my subject, not sure what hes doing though.

Shot 4k/60, D-Cinelike, Uploaded in 4k high res.

Thank you!!!

2023-1-3
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

First of all, low light, softness can be from noise reduction.....so
2023-1-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

you camera looks fine. Not sure about the camera man…;+) usually if you plan and shoot a test of something you want to shoot you can get opinions on your video as a whole IMO.
2023-1-3
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

looks good  I see this line though  on the video, camera looks  good if asked otherwise from the whole clip  as I rewatched via youtube side the line was not there, do apologise on that

2023-1-3
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-3 06:40
looks good  I se this line though  on the video, camera looks  good if asked otherwise from the whole clip

Blimey, well spotted Fish!
2023-1-3
Use props
CharlieChelt
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-3 06:40
looks good  I see this line though  on the video, camera looks  good if asked otherwise from the whole clip  as I rewatched via youtube side the line was not there, do apologise on that

A very good spot. Looking deeper into my footage than I needed! I think I’ve let all the focus issue videos cloud (no pun intended) my judgement!
2023-1-3
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

You are most welcomed.  keep us posted how you like the camera?
2023-1-3
Use props
CharlieChelt
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 1-3 07:45
You are most welcomed.  keep us posted how you like the camera?

I will do.

I like how the base of the mounting brackets are comparable with all my GoPro accessories! I was worried I’d have to bin £XXXs of mounts!
2023-1-3
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

CharlieChelt Posted at 1-3 07:48
I will do.

I like how the base of the mounting brackets are comparable with all my GoPro accessories! I was worried I’d have to bin £XXXs of mounts!

interchangable with the  right adapters, glad they will work out for the needs
2023-1-3
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CharlieChelt Posted at 1-3 07:48
I will do.

I think really, it's a question of how you feel about the footage yourself and what you are watching it on.

I find on a TV, my footage looks mostly ok. Close focus is a bit difficult sometimes.  Then again, I found the same with the original Action and tended to try and hold it further away to compensate. Because it had a narrower field of view, it worked ok on the end of a longer stick!!

I'm not sure I'll be keeping mine though in all honesty. The field of view is a bit too wide for me so I'm going to start using the GoPro 11 again I think. Despite it's weird things, I think I prefer my GoPro.

I'll miss its ease of use in particular and actually, its colour profile, but in the end, I want a 'different' result.

I'm not brave enough or convinced enough to have the bottle to twist the lens; especially one with such a wide fov.

2023-1-3
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Your camera do look good, which date is your camera from?
2023-1-3
Use props
CharlieChelt
lvl.1
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 1-3 12:18
Your camera do look good, which date is your camera from?

11/2022

The latest build I’ve seen on here
2023-1-3
Use props
CharlieChelt
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-3 12:04
I think really, it's a question of how you feel about the footage yourself and what you are watching it on.

I find on a TV, my footage looks mostly ok. Close focus is a bit difficult sometimes.  Then again, I found the same with the original Action and tended to try and hold it further away to compensate. Because it had a narrower field of view, it worked ok on the end of a longer stick!!

I think that I and a lot of other people forget that these are action cams, despite it being in the name.

This whole, it’s blurry when I put it in front of the box at 10cm away… well yes but it’s not designed to do that!

They have a purpose that they fulfil, underwater, can take a beating etc

If you want an ultra crisp camera for arty cinematic shots then you need a DSLR with proper lenses.
2023-1-3
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

CharlieChelt Posted at 1-3 12:22
11/2022

The latest build I’ve seen on here

Nice, same as mine then.
2023-1-3
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CharlieChelt Posted at 1-3 12:25
I think that I and a lot of other people forget that these are action cams, despite it being in the name.

This whole, it’s blurry when I put it in front of the box at 10cm away… well yes but it’s not designed to do that!

I think we probably do. It was the 30cm close focus that caught my eye when I first got it. For me, acceptable focus was significantly further away.

Actually, about as close as you got to your father. I think yours looks crisper than mine does too.

I hate lugging a mirrorless around ......

2023-1-3
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

CharlieChelt Posted at 1-3 12:25

there is an enormous difference between a 4/3 or apsc camera when filming and nobody should try substitute this camera for one of them. These are almost Run N Gun cameras something to capture the moments and if the footage is not perfect it’s just more important you got it and this camera will not let you down. It basically does what it says on the tin.
2023-1-3
Use props
Fishycomics
Second Officer
United States

It taken me three cameras, that was all good, to make a decision, I kept mine, I still got11 days to return,  the extended warranty. I am happy with it, but agree with Lancraig10 on a Gopro, like it or not, you said   it's an Action camera,   defffently not a Mini DSLR. put the Action camera in the Pocket and go, pull it out when needed. for m its my primary camera, yet low light on my reviews is not the best, I make due with what I got.

I am learning bottle means  opening it up twisting off the lens.  if DJI makes an action 4 maybe they can offer    some rotation to adjust he lens on the go, like they did years ago by Aiptek called macro, and standard lens a switch

Just enjoy thecamer and share the fun the rest will be all good
2023-1-3
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Would be great having Auto Focus, but it would not work great for an action camera
2023-1-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks good to me.
Apart from the guy who attacked you with his rake
2023-1-4
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
United States

First, it's no gopro11. And it's bitrate is lower then my oa1 100bit vs 60bit on oa3 so. It's a downgrade. even with 10bit color. BUT that's the price we pay to run 4k without overheating.
So, ? are you living of your cams, this is not it. But if you like me, catching life, fish, dogs, and love to post it. This oa3 is just right.
One thing, don't expekt mirakle. But fun. Bring ligth. always. With the selfie stick, i now catch vertical a lot. It's always mounted vertical. And when i fish, i mount it horizontal.
It's so briliant. Plug in mic. 4k 50fr.
I do miss the photo from oa1. But can't get everything. So my oa1 still a better image catcher.
But im using oa3. Mic, batterylife, horizontal balance. Just so good.
If your video looks ok, yes, low ligth. Mine looks the same. Just remember, close up, needs ligth. sun. Or it's strugles. So i say 50cm and steady cam.
Look at things moving, that's what the focus issue was, blurry. So try that. But when you move, it can strugle. It's a small cam, i wish i had 30years ago.
2023-1-4
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hurtighansen1 Posted at 1-4 03:44
First, it's no gopro11. And it's bitrate is lower then my oa1 100bit vs 60bit on oa3 so. It's a downgrade. even with 10bit color. BUT that's the price we pay to run 4k without overheating.

Blimey …… that’s how I feel. Thought I was on my own!!

I see a better dynamic range on the GoPro in all honesty, let alone the close focus thing. In fact, the GoPro works as both an action cam and a quick vlog tool; especially with its better choice of fov.

I still like the ease of use of the A3 and it’s colour is pleasant, but for some reason, it never really looks as detailed as my GP.
2023-1-4
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-4 03:50
Blimey …… that’s how I feel. Thought I was on my own!!

I see a better dynamic range on the GoPro in all honesty, let alone the close focus thing. In fact, the GoPro works as both an action cam and a quick vlog tool; especially with its better choice of fov.

I want a cam there don't freeze. And no lego cam, or nanny cam.
Then there is only 2. oa3+1
Now i do crop-pan-zoom a lot. And the result looks ok.
I do know gopro 11 have way better image, and i can zoom way closer. But if it freezes when the big fish bites ? what then.
I know 60bits i low. But my garmin virbs did run 60bits. and they still running 4k but no stabilization. lol. 2,7k have that. But getting damn good footage from that 60bits. and it just easier then 100bit in edit.
Do think gopro have 120bits so, my pc will crash and burn. lol
2023-1-4
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-3 14:14
Would be great having Auto Focus, but it would not work great for an action camera

Osmo a1 have autofocus. It,s 100% a better photo cam. But small glass tho! so.
2023-1-4
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

johansenfoto Posted at 1-3 14:14

All DJI cameras have auto exposure. Shoot full auto and camera will auto focus. It doesn’t have point to focus. If you want to change exposure manually you can and if you want auto exposure you also can
2023-1-4
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hurtighansen1 Posted at 1-4 04:26

OA1 have also fixed focus, but Pocket-series have AF
2023-1-4
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hurtighansen1 Posted at 1-4 04:26

Do you mean ‘auto exposure’? None of the Actions can change their focus. They're 'fixed'.
2023-1-4
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-4 22:25
Do you mean ‘auto exposure’? None of the Actions can change their focus. They're 'fixed'.

oa1 do have auto focus. it's not much. but you can get closer, and tap the point, and it get sharper. if you get more exposure, maybe, but the photo speks on oa1 is way better, like oa3 is 2point and oa3 is a 8point. 10point if it did burqa. but its fixed.
What am saying, is, get the light spot on by tapping, that's not auto.
It's no zoomlinse. But i have taking some nice Photos.
Still, my smartphone is better then, oa1+3
and my canon and sigma 16-35mm is just hardcore.
But every cam has it's weakness. And strong side. of all my cams oa3 is the worst photo cam. But du ok on video, but still. i'm using it for usb mic, battery life, and HB this makes it my bodycam.  
2023-2-12
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 1-4 16:48
OA1 have also fixed focus, but Pocket-series have AF

True, but it's called Spot metering. It will do like you change setting, if you stand in sun, and you can focus into a forest point and then it will "focus" on that point. Getting a way better and sharper image on that point.
But it's not as a real cam, zoom and focus. But it will do the job ok.
It kind of doing what a photocam do too, if you focus. But infinity do not give buque. As the action cams don't have big glass, you have to metering focus point.
So what i understand from this tread, some1 ask if, but dont understand how cams works.
It's all about glass and light. What oa3 don't have.
oa1 is way better cam. but oa3 is iasy workflow, but as we du not getting pay, it's what you film there matters. then oa3 is ok.
2023-2-12
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 1-4 03:50
Blimey …… that’s how I feel. Thought I was on my own!!

I see a better dynamic range on the GoPro in all honesty, let alone the close focus thing. In fact, the GoPro works as both an action cam and a quick vlog tool; especially with its better choice of fov.

If you wan't best cam for image gopro 11 og good old oa1
Im not at all happy with the Quality image. from oa1 too oa3 i film 2,7k-50f with 512gb card, and 4k50f i use 256gb card. it's oa3 there turn down the speks. Why can it run 4k ? without overheating. Had garmin virb serie, and when i started oa1 i had to use way bigger cards dobbelt up. now oa3 fells like old virb. it's nice you have space on card, but image on oa3 is ....
Do love the workflow on oa3 so i use it.
2023-2-12
Use props
Iancraig10
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hurtighansen1 Posted at 2-12 01:51
If you wan't best cam for image gopro 11 og good old oa1
Im not at all happy with the Quality image. from oa1 too oa3 i film 2,7k-50f with 512gb card, and 4k50f i use 256gb card. it's oa3 there turn down the speks. Why can it run 4k ? without overheating. Had garmin virb serie, and when i started oa1 i had to use way bigger cards dobbelt up. now oa3 fells like old virb. it's nice you have space on card, but image on oa3 is ....
Do love the workflow on oa3 so i use it.

I have a GoPro 11. It does ‘look’ sharper than the Action 3.

Both Action and GoPro are fixed focus though. I think you might be confusing focus with spot metering.
None of them do 'bokeh'.
2023-2-12
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Imagine having AF on any action camera, would be great but also would focus totally wrong places for many people.
Same with manual focus, it will focus so many wrong places by accident.
2023-2-12
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Looks a little soft to me, but in the right circumstances that can actually be a good thing. A lot of footage especially at 4k is too sharp. I know I used to add blur to all my Sony A7III footage otherwise it just didn't look natural.

Focus looks ok-ish but not spot on. I'm guessing you are in the UK and so sunny days are rare, but if you get one and can shoot in light for longer and holding it longer on subjects that will give us a better idea.
2023-2-13
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
United States

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-12 02:03
I have a GoPro 11. It does ‘look’ sharper than the Action 3.

Both Action and GoPro are fixed focus though. I think you might be confusing focus with spot metering.

lol i,m not. But miss the spot metering on oa3.
Gopro do 110mbs i think, so far, i seen 90mbs on oa3. and oa1 have 100mbs on normal.
So, yes, gopro have way more info.
Did shoot air traffic last night, fog, light, darkness. Did miss that spot metering. Well had my oa1 to, but needed that usb mic.
Maybe gopro had done better job. Oa3 did ok, but its the mic there lift that shooting.
2023-2-16
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hurtighansen1 Posted at 2-16 06:04
lol i,m not. But miss the spot metering on oa3.
Gopro do 110mbs i think, so far, i seen 90mbs on oa3. and oa1 have 100mbs on normal.
So, yes, gopro have way more info.

My OA3 have around 120 Mbit/s
2023-2-16
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Denmark

johansenfoto Posted at 2-16 06:16
My OA3 have around 120 Mbit/s

not in normale mode
2023-3-5
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Ok I always shoot in Pro
2023-3-5
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Denmark

johansenfoto Posted at 3-5 12:50
Ok I always shoot in Pro

me too. 4k 50frm so far had 90 mbts as max in edit. Oa1 is 2,7k 50frms 100mbts So lol oa1 overheat in 4k but oa3 4k do not lol.
? lower bitrate.
Yes. i say, fine, better run, then overheat. They did just turn down the bitrate. No1 really talk about it. still getting better image fra 2,7k oa1 i say. perfekt tripod cam now.
2023-3-8
Use props
johansenfoto
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

hurtighansen1 Posted at 3-8 02:21
me too. 4k 50frm so far had 90 mbts as max in edit. Oa1 is 2,7k 50frms 100mbts So lol oa1 overheat in 4k but oa3 4k do not lol.
? lower bitrate.
Yes. i say, fine, better run, then overheat. They did just turn down the bitrate. No1 really talk about it. still getting better image fra 2,7k oa1 i say. perfekt tripod cam now.

They haven't turned down bitrate on OA3.
I thought it myself earlier, but it changes really often from 90 to 120 Mbit/s.
2023-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules