Flying diagonally
1151 13 2023-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23418189 ft
United States

Before I contact DJI Support and possible send it in, I thought I'd check here one more time to see if anybody had a solution.
So ever since I got my Mini 2 almost 2 years ago, it has, on occasion, started to turn while flying. It looks as if it is flying diagonally. Usually, I'm able to just do all the calibrations and it will work fine for a few months and then I have to calibrate again. Lately however, it seems that calibrations have lost their effect.

I have 2 sample videos of this happening. In the first video, you can see that I have the crosshairs aimed on a bush. I was careful to not go full throttle right off the line as to rule out the spinning of the propellers as the cause. Almost immediately, you can see that the crosshairs move to the right. By the time the drone gets to the bush, it is at least 18 to 20 feet to the right of it.

First video: https://despain.me/Screen_Recording_20230104_154813.mp4

In the second video, I try the same thing but at a greater distance. I train the crosshairs on the white object and then start to move the drone forward. Same as before, the crosshairs immediately begin to move to the right. After re-aiming, I go forward again with the same results.

Second video: https://despain.me/Screen_Recording_20230104_155538.mp4

PhantomHelp Log: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/4DVZDZ42BIQ6BPOTXEDL
The first video starts at 4m30s and ends at 4m48s.
The second video starts at 10m00s and ends at 11m55s.

Things I have tried:
  • Compass Calibration
  • IMU Calibration
  • Gimbal Calibration
  • RC Calibration
  • New 3rd party propellers
  • New DJI propellers
  • Removed vinyl accent wrap

I've been trying to avoid having to send the little guy in for repairs but as it gets closer to the expiration day of my Care Refresh plan, i'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and submit a repair request.

Has anybody here experienced this as well?
Does anybody know of a more permanent solution?
Should I just submit a repair request with Care Refresh?
2023-1-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Your drone is probably flying perfectly straight but the gimbal is slightly offset and not pointing directly ahead.
The data shows a fairly consistent difference between the drone's heading and the gimbal yaw angle of approx 18°.
2023-1-4
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-4 18:26
Your drone is probably flying perfectly straight but the gimbal is slightly offset and not pointing directly ahead.
The data shows a fairly consistent difference between the drone's heading and the gimbal yaw angle of approx 18°.

Ok, do I just fix that by doing a manual gimbal calibration? Or is this an indicator of a bigger issue with the gimbal?
2023-1-4
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 1-4 18:26

I did notice that the calibration screen crosshairs and the camera crosshairs don't line up at all. Is that normal?

2023-1-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Thank you for reaching out. Since you already maximize all the possible troubleshooting steps but still the issue persists, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for proper diagnostics, you may request a repair service using this link https://www.dji.com/support/repair . Once you already fill in all the needed information, our team will contact you to provide further information on how to send the product to us. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-1-4
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-4 18:51
Thank you for reaching out. Since you already maximize all the possible troubleshooting steps but still the issue persists, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for proper diagnostics, you may request a repair service using this link https://www.dji.com/support/repair . Once you already fill in all the needed information, our team will contact you to provide further information on how to send the product to us. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Is this something that I can use DJI Care Express for?
2023-1-4
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ignore this
2023-1-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12445630 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Had a look at your flightlog, see my chart of your data.

Heading *  and move line ** on top of each other ; your drone flew perfectly straight line.

* compass data
** GPS position data

Cam is offset drone heading, see chart.

cheers
JJB
analysis1.png
analysis2.png
2023-1-5
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

I had the same problem on my Mini 2, and now I have it on my Mini 3 Pro. If I fly straight it would start turning left for a while. When I let go of the controls drone would stop and slowly correct itself. No calibration fixes the problem. It looks like gimbal starts to turn for no apparent reason, even though there is no wind.
2023-1-5
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

Anyone knows a way to fix this?
2023-1-7
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

Tuxtard Posted at 1-7 14:06
Anyone knows a way to fix this?

After I had already made a case and sent mine in, I found this:
2023-1-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-4 19:02
Is this something that I can use DJI Care Express for?

Sorry for the late response. Yes, you may use your DJI Care refresh as the option is available on our website once you create a ticket case. The warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.
2023-1-12
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-12 01:16
Sorry for the late response. Yes, you may use your DJI Care refresh as the option is available on our website once you create a ticket case. The warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you.

No worries.

I made a request and received my replacement drone yesterday. Test flights came back with good results.
2023-1-12
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

blue_canyon21 Posted at 1-12 10:57
No worries.

I made a request and received my replacement drone yesterday. Test flights came back with good results.

Thank you for your update, blue_canyon and we're glad that you already now received the replacement unit. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for always choosing DJI!
2023-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules