DJI RC and Hidden WiFi hotspots
2317 16 2023-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

I cannot get the DJI RC to connect to my WiFi when the SSID broadcast is off.  Even when I enter a new network (manually enter the SSID and WPA2 password) it will not connect.

Is this the way it's supposed to work, or is there a problem and/or work-around?

2023-1-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm if the issue only occurs when the Wi-Fi or Hotspot is hidden? Can you please try to configure your Wi-Fi connection and set it as visible and check if the issue persists? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2023-1-4
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 1-4 20:53
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. Can you please confirm if the issue only occurs when the Wi-Fi or Hotspot is hidden? Can you please try to configure your Wi-Fi connection and set it as visible and check if the issue persists? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Yes, I FINALLY found out that it will work when my AP is set to broadcast (making it visible).  No other devices that I use have this issue.  They all will let me manually enter the information for a hidden WiFi hot-spot.

Is there a fix or work-around?

Thanks.
2023-1-4
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just connected DJI RC to hidden network with WPA2 password.   It seems at least that the controller is capable of it.  Perhaps something specific about your access points wifi settings?  I did turn off band steering as I only set it up as a 2.4GHz wifi network.
2023-1-5
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-5 14:54
Just connected DJI RC to hidden network with WPA2 password.   It seems at least that the controller is capable of it.  Perhaps something specific about your access points wifi settings?  I did turn off band steering as I only set it up as a 2.4GHz wifi network.

I would have thought that the controller would connect to hidden networks, otherwise why would they put the add a network function (for something that doesn't show on the list).  After doing some searching, I see that others have the same problem.

I just tried different settings on my WiFi.  The DJI RC controller still won't connect unless the AP is broadcasting the SSID.  I also just use 2.4Ghz, so can't figure out what's different here.
2023-1-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-5 16:07
I would have thought that the controller would connect to hidden networks, otherwise why would they put the add a network function (for something that doesn't show on the list).  After doing some searching, I see that others have the same problem.

I just tried different settings on my WiFi.  The DJI RC controller still won't connect unless the AP is broadcasting the SSID.  I also just use 2.4Ghz, so can't figure out what's different here.

No idea.  My network gear is Unifi based.  I simply created a new wireless network.  Named it pretty basic, all lower case.  Gave it a simple wpa2 password, again, nothing funky.  Set the ap broadcast to hide, and turned off band steering.  Only chose to create a 2.4GHz network.  

Then from controller, entered the new name, and password.  It connected with no special settings chosen from android.  Hard to say what is dfferent with your gear from mine, but I can 100% confirm that I was able to connect to a hidden ssid via the DJI RC.   Fyi, I also have RC Pro, and remember when that first came out that it had a hard time connecting to my network unless I turned off band steering because it really hated the 5Ghz band.  
2023-1-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Here is a video of me creating the hidden wifi network : dronetest

And here is a video from the DJI RC showing the connection:

Maybe you will see a setting that may translate or apply to your router?  Good luck, hope it helps.  Obviously something is funky in the DJI implementation on their android radio, but what it is I cannot say since it is working for me.  
2023-1-5
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

FirstMedic Posted at 1-4 22:08
Yes, I FINALLY found out that it will work when my AP is set to broadcast (making it visible).  No other devices that I use have this issue.  They all will let me manually enter the information for a hidden WiFi hot-spot.

Is there a fix or work-around?

Thank you for your response. We will coordinate this with our designated team for attention. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-1-6
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-5 19:02
Here is a video of me creating the hidden wifi network : dronetest
https://youtu.be/JsF8Ge-1kzg

I haven't found any settings on my AP that might resolve this.  I'll keep checking but, in the meantime, my work-around will have to be temporarily broadcasting my SSID (making it visible), performing my DJI tasks, then returning it to hidden again.  Thanks.
2023-1-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-6 06:44
I haven't found any settings on my AP that might resolve this.  I'll keep checking but, in the meantime, my work-around will have to be temporarily broadcasting my SSID (making it visible), performing my DJI tasks, then returning it to hidden again.  Thanks.

Fair enough.  Good luck!

FYI, the whole hidden network thing is more trouble than it is worth.  Yes, it may stop the street-side passerby from attempting a connection, but it really only draws the wrong kind of attention to your network.  Honestly, it is a "solution" in search of a problem, and causing a compatibility problem.  : )  
2023-1-6
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-6 08:14
Fair enough.  Good luck!

FYI, the whole hidden network thing is more trouble than it is worth.  Yes, it may stop the street-side passerby from attempting a connection, but it really only draws the wrong kind of attention to your network.  Honestly, it is a "solution" in search of a problem, and causing a compatibility problem.  : )

How can a hidden SSID  draw unwanted attention?  It's worked for me for a lot of years.

I guess I'm low tech anyway, at least until trying to deal with DJI.  Their Flysafe unlock process sends a verification code via SMS, and my office only uses land-line phones.  I sent a email about it and their response said that their "unlocking license via the flysafe website, an SMS verification code is required. Currently, it's not supported to send the code via phone call or email."

Bummer
2023-1-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-6 14:07
How can a hidden SSID  draw unwanted attention?  It's worked for me for a lot of years.

I guess I'm low tech anyway, at least until trying to deal with DJI.  Their Flysafe unlock process sends a verification code via SMS, and my office only uses land-line phones.  I sent a email about it and their response said that their "unlocking license via the flysafe website, an SMS verification code is required. Currently, it's not supported to send the code via phone call or email."

The absence of data is also data.  Some people look at a hidden network and think "Oh, this will be fun."  

: )  
2023-1-6
Use props
djiuser_ztUEST0AjCBr
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem with thr RC Pro.  I didn't have a problem with the controller that came with my Air 2S, or my Smart Controller.  Seems very specific to my new RC Pro
2023-9-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_ztUEST0AjCBr Posted at 9-19 19:29
I have the same problem with thr RC Pro.  I didn't have a problem with the controller that came with my Air 2S, or my Smart Controller.  Seems very specific to my new RC Pro

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. Just to confirm, you are also experiencing the issue when the Wi-Fi or Hotspot is hidden when using your RC Pro but not on the Smart controller? Is that correct?
2023-9-20
Use props
johnsmith3321
lvl.1

France

https://blackapks.com/en/foxfi-key
2023-10-15
Use props
johnsmith3321
lvl.1

Bangladesh

DJI RC controllers are not designed to connect to hidden SSIDs. This is because the RC controller needs to be able to scan for and identify the SSID of the WiFi network that it is trying to connect to. If the SSID is hidden, the RC controller will not be able to find it.
There are a few workarounds that you can use to connect your DJI RC controller to a hidden SSID:
  • You can temporarily enable SSID broadcasting on your router. Once the RC controller has connected to the WiFi network, you can disable SSID broadcasting again.
  • You can use a WiFi repeater to extend the range of your WiFi network and make it visible to the RC controller.
  • You can use a third-party app, such as DJI Assistant 2, to manually configure the RC controller to connect to the hidden SSID.
If you are using a third-party app to manually configure the RC controller, you will need to know the SSID and WPA2 password of the hidden WiFi network. You can find this information in the router's settings.
I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
2023-10-15
Use props
johnsmith3321
lvl.1

Bangladesh

johnsmith3321 Posted at 10-15 22:18
DJI RC controllers are not designed to connect to hidden SSIDs. This is because the RC controller needs to be able to scan for and identify the SSID of the WiFi network that it is trying to connect to. If the SSID is hidden, the RC controller will not be able to find it.There are a few workarounds that you can use to connect your DJI RC controller to a hidden SSID:You can temporarily enable SSID broadcasting on your router. Once the RC controller has connected to the WiFi network, you can disable SSID broadcasting again.You can use a WiFi repeater to extend the range of your WiFi network and make it visible to the RC controller.

Is it helpful?
2023-10-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules