Silly Me
719 14 2023-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

I would have thought that products purchased straight from DJI would have current firmware updates.

I wasn't aware of all of the preparation time that is involved to get everything set up.  Not only did the coltroller need to update, but the drone needs to also.

At one point I wasn't getting anywhere, and the controller gave a notice that I had to use a smart phone for something (I don't use a smart phone), or get DJI Assistant 2.

Is there a manual for DJI Assistant?  I sure fumbled around with it, but I think I got it to do what I needed.  There'e more to do, but I'm quitting for the day and will get back to it tomorrow.

2023-1-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, FirstMedic. Thank you for reaching out, and we're sorry about the difficulties you've encountered. Updating to the latest version will help you to unlock the latest features of the DJI drone, and use the latest firmware also to avoid any possible issues. And to update the firmware of the remote controller and the drone, you must use the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) software and install it on your computer.
Once the software is installed, follow these steps to update the firmware:
1. Power on the drone and remote controller (one by one).
2. Connect your drone/RC to your computer and launch the software.
3. After it identifies the device, click the connected device name icon.
4. Select "Firmware Update" and wait for it to finish.
After this, restart the devices and test them. If you have further concerns or clarifications, please let us know. Thank you, and have a nice day!
2023-1-4
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't forget to update the firmware on each of your spare batteries also.  
2023-1-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

You will notice when opening the consumer products that they have a vacuum bag and a silica gel pack to prevent moisture inside the box to handle temperature variations during shipping.   That means things sit on shelves, and time passes.  Whereas firmware can be updated pretty frequently as bugs are fixed and regulations change, flysafe databases get updated, etc.  I would just get used to the idea that products that boxed and packaged products may not have the latest firmware.  

A great example of this is iPhones from apple.  They only have the latest firmware if you happen to get lucky and order it when a new version has been released and no updates have been provided since.
2023-1-5
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 1-5 03:32
Don't forget to update the firmware on each of your spare batteries also.

Batteries have firmware to be updated?!  I didn't know that.  I must be reading the wrong places in the manuals, because I haven't seen anything about that.  How do I do it?
2023-1-5
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-5 09:25
Batteries have firmware to be updated?!  I didn't know that.  I must be reading the wrong places in the manuals, because I haven't seen anything about that.  How do I do it?

The Fly app will update the modules as needed.  For example, if you have a Mini3 or an Air2S, if you install a new battery, and that battery has not been updated yet, it will give you a dialog box saying something about how an update is available, and some text about how all modules must be updated for consistency.     If you have a bunch of batteries for either of your drones, it's best to swap them out, start up the drone, and do the updates indoors before wasting time outside when you really just want to fly.
The batteries are not just batteries - they are "intelligent flight batteries" with some logic on board.  Thus, the need to update the firmware to match the drone avionics revision level.
2023-1-5
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-5 09:25

TonyPHX beat me to the reply and gave a very thorough explanation.  Everyday is a learning process with drones.  

Have a great day and a super weekend FirstMedic.  
2023-1-6
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-5 19:18
The Fly app will update the modules as needed.  For example, if you have a Mini3 or an Air2S, if you install a new battery, and that battery has not been updated yet, it will give you a dialog box saying something about how an update is available, and some text about how all modules must be updated for consistency.     If you have a bunch of batteries for either of your drones, it's best to swap them out, start up the drone, and do the updates indoors before wasting time outside when you really just want to fly.
The batteries are not just batteries - they are "intelligent flight batteries" with some logic on board.  Thus, the need to update the firmware to match the drone avionics revision level.

It took a while to apply the updates with all of my batteries, but I finally got it done.  Thanks.
2023-1-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-6 06:47
It took a while to apply the updates with all of my batteries, but I finally got it done.  Thanks.

Yes.  So much better than standing outside and wanting to fly and then getting the update dialog.  : )
2023-1-6
Use props
FirstMedic
lvl.2
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-6 08:15
Yes.  So much better than standing outside and wanting to fly and then getting the update dialog.  : )

Very true, especially with the cold weather we have in Colorado right now.  I'm waiting for warmer weather anyway.
2023-1-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-5 06:30
You will notice when opening the consumer products that they have a vacuum bag and a silica gel pack to prevent moisture inside the box to handle temperature variations during shipping.   That means things sit on shelves, and time passes.  Whereas firmware can be updated pretty frequently as bugs are fixed and regulations change, flysafe databases get updated, etc.  I would just get used to the idea that products that boxed and packaged products may not have the latest firmware.  

A great example of this is iPhones from apple.  They only have the latest firmware if you happen to get lucky and order it when a new version has been released and no updates have been provided since.

Point well made!  
2023-1-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

FirstMedic Posted at 1-6 06:47

Sometimes this stuff gets me down but, I do it as it helps me learn more about it, and it keeps thing up to the latest.
2023-1-6
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 1-6 18:35
Sometimes this stuff gets me down but, I do it as it helps me learn more about it, and it keeps thing up to the latest.

We are all there with you Bob.  It is an administrative/operation burden that takes some time and patience.  Do not let it get you down, just plan for it as best as possible to minimize surprises.  If I know I am going to fly a drone the next day, I fire it up and check for updates, inspect the props, then charge the controller and batteries.  (And get any unlock requests done if needed). Then pack the kit bag the night before.  

This small ritual of preparing for flying the day before forces me to be as ready as possible.  I find myself forgetting less things this way.  : )
2023-1-6
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 1-6 19:38
We are all there with you Bob.  It is an administrative/operation burden that takes some time and patience.  Do not let it get you down, just plan for it as best as possible to minimize surprises.  If I know I am going to fly a drone the next day, I fire it up and check for updates, inspect the props, then charge the controller and batteries.  (And get any unlock requests done if needed). Then pack the kit bag the night before.  

This small ritual of preparing for flying the day before forces me to be as ready as possible.  I find myself forgetting less things this way.  : )

Sounds like you have it figured better than me.  I am still learning and need more open field training.  Thanks for the reply.
2023-1-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 1-8 19:52
Sounds like you have it figured better than me.  I am still learning and need more open field training.  Thanks for the reply.

If I ever have it really figured out, I'll let you know Bob.  : )
Every time I figure things out, they update the app, the firmware, or the drone and it puts me back in the learners corner.
2023-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules