855 19 2023-1-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This is another short video of Blakeney in Norfolk in the U.K. shot in 1080p and upscaled to 4K using iMovi on an iPad

2023-1-4
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

This is exactly the case where a gimbal and manual mode would help you with a very soft output......you do a lot of non-action shots with an action camera, one of the advantages of which is weight and size, so a few extra grams of gimbal would only help for shooting in poor lighting conditions. Off topic, good advice: I would also deal with insulin intolerance....Don't look for any irony or animosity in this.
2023-1-4
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No way am I using a gimbal. I own and have tried more than 4 of them, Spent lots of money and they simply don't work for me. In that video where would you be putting it when it is raining and wet and you are walking around. More weight more stuff for very little benefit. My Osmo Pocket is never used.

If you don't go to pick it up to take it out you learn that that item might have sounded good but you just don't use it. I have cupboards full of that sort of kit.
2023-1-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The other thing I have found if you upscale to 4K from 1080p  Youtube seems to process the video much much quicker. I think however this also depends on other things but for me it is certainly faster
2023-1-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Of all your videos I've seen, this seems the softest to me. It remains a matter of speculation whether it's low light, or something went wrong during resampling, or there was no option before rendering - it was in the iMo, because yes, it should be better for YT to hang resampled HD to 4K on it...
2023-1-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevoB Posted at 1-5 00:10
Of all your videos I've seen, this seems the softest to me. It remains a matter of speculation whether it's low light, or something went wrong during resampling, or there was no option before rendering - it was in the iMo, because yes, it should be better for YT to hang resampled HD to 4K on it...

I have no idea what soft means. I just watch the video and am very pleased with then. They are about events and memories for me
2023-1-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevoB Posted at 1-4 23:55
This is exactly the case where a gimbal and manual mode would help you with a very soft output......you do a lot of non-action shots with an action camera, one of the advantages of which is weight and size, so a few extra grams of gimbal would only help for shooting in poor lighting conditions. Off topic, good advice: I would also deal with insulin intolerance....Don't look for any irony or animosity in this.

This is the kind of thing I wanted to do with my A3, basically because it can just go in your pocket and is light and quick to use. The only problem, which isn’t shown here is when you turn it onto yourself or you and family where the background comes comparatively sharper than the people. That’s when the close focus becomes more obvious.

General scenery shots like this are acceptable as long as the camera points away from you.

YouTube uses a better form of compression for 4k. Less artifacts so it can well improve 1080p. (Or, at least the way it looks)
2023-1-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-5 00:12
I have no idea what soft means. I just watch the video and am very pleased with then. They are about events and memories for me

Just written, as I see it, because this is neither FB nor Instagram, we are evaluating the technical side here, not the emotional, experiential side, and to me this video seems (I don't think because of the optics) the most blurry of yours. That's why I wrote about the gimbal, because my opinion is that the stabilization stretched the exposure times and the ISO in bad light also ironed out something....
2023-1-5
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StevoB Posted at 1-5 00:27
Just written, as I see it, because this is neither FB nor Instagram, we are evaluating the technical side here, not the emotional, experiential side, and to me this video seems (I don't think because of the optics) the most blurry of yours. That's why I wrote about the gimbal, because my opinion is that the stabilization stretched the exposure times and the ISO in bad light also ironed out something....

That’s why I use Pocket 2 for this kind of thing. Better in poor light and smooth without expanding picture.

I understand why BP finds it fiddly though. I just preset it at home before I go and flip it in and out if it’s case every time I use it to protect that gimbal.

The other thing I really like with the P2 is that you can hold it flat while it points forward, so when you’re in public, people around you are less aware.

A3 did a better job in that awful light than I would have expected though.
2023-1-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Off topic, I won't start a thread about it. How do I find the ISO in the recording. Example I make a video Manual mode I set a fixed ISO and then after a month I don't remember and I want to know....hmmm? I've already googled and nothing, it's easy in the photo...
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The FHD version shows on YT so far. It looks good!
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

StevoB Posted at 1-5 00:35
Off topic, I won't start a thread about it. How do I find the ISO in the recording. Example I make a video Manual mode I set a fixed ISO and then after a month I don't remember and I want to know....hmmm? I've already googled and nothing, it's easy in the photo...

Unfortunately this is not recorded in the EXIF. But think about it, you can change it during recording, so that is probably why they left all these parameters out.
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-5 00:03
No way am I using a gimbal. I own and have tried more than 4 of them, Spent lots of money and they simply don't work for me. In that video where would you be putting it when it is raining and wet and you are walking around. More weight more stuff for very little benefit. My Osmo Pocket is never used.

If you don't go to pick it up to take it out you learn that that item might have sounded good but you just don't use it. I have cupboards full of that sort of kit.

Funny, I have come to the same conclusion.
I used to buy a lot of stuff because I thought I needed it.
Only to find it covered in dust after xx months.
Even though I feel that you are much better off with a Pocket, this is just my way of working and that most certainly does not say much about weather you will have the same experience.
Whatever works for you is fine. The only thing we can do here is exchange experiences and see what suits us best!
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-5 00:04
The other thing I have found if you upscale to 4K from 1080p  Youtube seems to process the video much much quicker. I think however this also depends on other things but for me it is certainly faster

This (in my experience) really depends on the qeue at the youtube servers. I had FHD video's convert in minutes, 4K videos convert in minutes, but also had the opposite.
I used to question upscaling (something I never do myself), but from a youtube viewer perspective, there might be a bonus, as the 4K (upscaled) still looks better on a FHD monitor.
I myself never bother, but I have seen examples of this where upscaling gave a better end result when you selected the 4K video on a FHD monitor.
Ok, enough about that, have a great day!
2023-1-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Montfrooij Posted at 1-5 00:48
Unfortunately this is not recorded in the EXIF. But think about it, you can change it during recording, so that is probably why they left all these parameters out.

I was secretly hoping that it wouldn't be like that.....even the mp3 shows it has either fixed CBR or VBR...
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

StevoB Posted at 1-5 01:20
I was secretly hoping that it wouldn't be like that.....even the mp3 shows it has either fixed CBR or VBR...

Well, the bitrate (assuming you are referring to that) is set per file. But camera parameters can change while recording right?
So no way the camera can define the 'right' setting for that file.
EXIF was created for stills, not for video.
2023-1-5
Use props
StevoB
lvl.4
Slovakia

Montfrooij Posted at 1-5 01:24
Well, the bitrate (assuming you are referring to that) is set per file. But camera parameters can change while recording right?
So no way the camera can define the 'right' setting for that file.
EXIF was created for stills, not for video.

That's why I wrote about manual ISO setting, where there is nothing to change....mp3 file was an example
2023-1-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 1-5 00:53
This (in my experience) really depends on the qeue at the youtube servers. I had FHD video's convert in minutes, 4K videos convert in minutes, but also had the opposite.
I used to question upscaling (something I never do myself), but from a youtube viewer perspective, there might be a bonus, as the 4K (upscaled) still looks better on a FHD monitor.
I myself never bother, but I have seen examples of this where upscaling gave a better end result when you selected the 4K video on a FHD monitor.

When I look at the 'upscalled' 1080p on my 55 inch TV I can certainly see a small difference which I think is good. Even her indoors said she can see a difference and that is saying somthing.

This for me is quite good as it keeps things simple with small file sizes but just gives that little increase in quality.

The interesting thing is YT only ever says it is HD but they use that term for both 1080p and some higher resolutions.
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

StevoB Posted at 1-5 01:38
That's why I wrote about manual ISO setting, where there is nothing to change....mp3 file was an example

Yeah, I read that.
But it is little use for video files, since parameters can (and will) change, so they probably never bothered spending time to implement this.
As it is quite a thing if you think about it.
For a coder to make this I mean.
The camera needs to remember (in memory) what all the EXIF parameters are set at. And then reset this when you press record. Then figure out IF they change during the recording. If not, it has to write the EXIF values. If so, it has to discard these values UNTIL you press record again.
So I can see why they left that out (and probably won't implement this) as these things were developed as a standard for all the camera manufacturers.
You can see even Windows left the EXIF parameters out in the file details, so it is very high impact change if you wanted to add this.
2023-1-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bigplumbs Posted at 1-5 01:42
When I look at the 'upscalled' 1080p on my 55 inch TV I can certainly see a small difference which I think is good. Even her indoors said she can see a difference and that is saying somthing.

This for me is quite good as it keeps things simple with small file sizes but just gives that little increase in quality.

Yeah, the upscaling does something to your playback device too. Some treat 4k files differently.
btw, I do get a 4K icon on YT when the video is converted.
Not HD.
2023-1-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules